PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me if this is true or false?

zippy-kat
06-19-2002, 01:47 PM
Schools must provide an alternative for dissections?

I remember in HS, I refused to dissect the frogs/grasshoppers/worms & the teacher gave me alternative assignments. In my HS human anatomy class, we dissected cow eyes/brain and sharks. I watched all but didn't really participate. (It helped that my lab partner (my best friend) had her heart set on bein' a vet and so dissections didn't bother her a bit! lol)

I know at NMSU science classes dissect animals such as rats and CATS :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Luckily, I never had to worry about dissecting other than in HS--I got my college sciences out of the way at a junior college where the worst we did was tear leaves off a plant. (Well, I suppose the actual worst thing that happened was when I blew up a beaker on a hot plate (oppsie :o ) --- it scared some guy & he ran out of the building!! :eek: ok, it WAS loud (and messy) but NOT THAT loud! lol)

Karen
06-19-2002, 01:58 PM
I bet it varies state to state, and maybe even from school district to school district.

momoffuzzyfaces
06-19-2002, 02:15 PM
When I was in High School (with Fred Flintstone), I wouldn't disect the frog either. Luckily my partner did and she was one who fainted at the sight of blood. She did it somehow. We lucked out, one of the boys distracted everyone by putting a frog's leg in his mouth. The teacher was worried that he had poisoned himself. He was a strange, strange kid. :eek:

zippy-kat
06-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
When I was in High School (with Fred Flintstone), I wouldn't disect the frog either. Luckily my partner did and she was one who fainted at the sight of blood. She did it somehow. We lucked out, one of the boys distracted everyone by putting a frog's leg in his mouth. The teacher was worried that he had poisoned himself. He was a strange, strange kid. :eek:

EWWWWWW...lol lol
At a prom one time, this girl ordered frog legs and (? something else---a hamburger maybe--?)--she didn't eat the frog legs--just wanted them so she could make them waltz across all the table tops :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Logan
06-19-2002, 02:28 PM
I never thought about it being a problem, Tonya. I was so interested in all of that when I was in high school 100 years ago! LOL!! We were required to take Biology in the 9th grade, and we did the standard earthworm disection and the bullfrog. I went on to take Anatomy and Advanced Biology, and yes, we dissected a fetal pig, a cat (I shudder thinking that I was able to do that), plus other things. In fact, I can remember my group working on that cat in the middle of my mother's dining room table. :eek: She surely was tolerant! But, it was a learning tool, and I guess at that point, that is the mode we were in. I can't really remember anyone not agreeing to do it. But the Anatomy and Advanced Biology classes were ones I chose to take, not ones that were required.

zippy-kat
06-19-2002, 02:34 PM
I took those same courses--our class voted on sharks rather than fetal pigs--I'm sure we had more disections, I just can't remember them now....

I don't think I could ever EVER cut up a kitty cat. Hopefully, I'll never have to face that in the future!!

and "on the dining room table..." LOL
That reminds me, who was it that had the brother who did the neuter/spay on the kitty at breakfast time???? I forget now, but I loved the way she told it....!!

Edwina's Secretary
06-19-2002, 02:51 PM
:D :D :D

That would be my brother who neutered my mother's cat on the breakfast table!

lizbud
06-19-2002, 04:17 PM
Before or after morning coffee?:eek: :D :D

mugsy
06-19-2002, 04:30 PM
EEEWWW Sara...on the TABLE?? lol

I taught 6th grade life science for 3 years and we dissected worms...that's all I was willing to tackle, but I never had anyone refuse to do it...but then they were 6th graders. I believe the policy is if you refuse you made the choice to take a zero on that particular lab and take the lower grade. That's at FWCS, but I don't know the policies at other districts.

Edwina's Secretary
06-19-2002, 04:55 PM
A quick repeat of the story. I had just graduated from college and my brother was on his way back for his last year of vet school. Mother's new kitten, Albert needed to be neutered. I was rather sleepily eating my cereal at one end of the table while he attended to Albert at the other. (It really is a very simple surgery. I assisted him with another years later. There is a certain amount of female satisfaction to...oh never mind that.) Of course, he didn't have lots of fancy equipment so he used my mother's dish (which matched the one from which I was eating!)for "receiving."

When I asked him if he wasn't going to dispose of the "parts" he replied..."Doctors don't clean up after themselves!" a family joke for many years.

lizbud
06-19-2002, 07:11 PM
Edwina's mom,

Your NOT KIDDING are you ? I always wanted my children
to succeed in life & do well , but sorry, I would draw the line
at the kitchen table. :D I'm sure he used a anesthethic (?)
and did a valuable service; but sorry ,not on my table.:D

BTW , My lab partner did ALL dissections (worms & frogs I
think) I didn't look. I took great notes!!!:D

TheAntiPam
06-19-2002, 07:41 PM
We used fish - fresh caught from the local pond by some of the class members. Since fishing (and cleaning them) was familiar to most people in our little town, it was less yucky to most of us.

And, probably best of all, they didn't resemble the creatures most of us had at home!

zippy-kat
06-19-2002, 10:28 PM
It must come in handy havin' a vet for a brother!! I'm (almost) surprised the Lady of the Mouse doesn't have more siblings...;)

Of course, she's above needing playmates--she has servants! ha!

anna_66
06-20-2002, 08:21 AM
I hated disecting, I refused and opted for a big fat zero!

06-20-2002, 10:39 AM
Here in Belgium , it seems to be done in every junior high school .
In October , my daughter had to do it on a rabbit ! When you know that her pet is a little rabbit (our Billie !!!) , you will understand how upset she was ....... ! Next year , a dissection of a fish is planned . I hope this won't bother her that much .... and I surely hope that fish will be more "fresh" than the one I had to work on at that age ; it smelled awful !!!!!!!!!!!
If I had my say in this matter , I would forbide this practise !! The student can as well learn this on plastic animals or from scetches !!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/sydneybilliepets

Edwina's Secretary
06-20-2002, 12:45 PM
(For the record...my brother is 50 years old now so the story of Albert's kitchen surgery IS from a while ago!)

(And Albert lived to a ripe old age -- 18 as I recall...)

purrley
06-20-2002, 01:01 PM
Ever seen an autopsy?? Med students do it all the time on humans. What about learning to be a mortician? Wouldn't that be fun:D :D :D

zippy-kat
06-20-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by purrley
Ever seen an autopsy?? Med students do it all the time on humans. What about learning to be a mortician? Wouldn't that be fun:D :D :D

:eek: :eek: Iuse to date a guy who wanted to be a mortician!!:eek: :eek:

Crikit
06-20-2002, 07:37 PM
I know that in my school they almost forced us to disect things, well at least the teacher that I had did...he was a little bit of a jerk. Of course my science class only had to attempt to disect a cows heart, which I screwed up by the way. To bad I didn't have the dogs then though, I could hace taken the cut up hearts and make them some treats.

That sounds really morbid doesn't it?

mel55smiles
06-20-2002, 10:20 PM
I AM GOING INTO 8TH GRADE, SO IN SEVENTH (THIS YEAR) WE DISSECTED FROGS, I DID IT OKAY, MAYBE CAUSE I WNAT TO BE A VET, BUT IF YOU DID'NT DO IT YOU GOT AN F ON YOU REPORT CARD, CAUSE WE WORKED ON THAT FOR A WHOLE 6 WEEKS,

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-21-2002, 03:05 AM
We had to dissect a fetal pig in the seventh grade....... I WAS NOT O.K. WITH THAT!!! My poor mom tried everything to get me out of it. When she called the school they said I would have to do it or take a zero...... when the day came I saw the pig all tied up and hid under the table the whole class crying... my awesome teacher (he always was my favorite) gave me an A anyway... I guess no one realized how traumatizing it would actually be for me. (or he was embarassed for his 12 year old student hiding under the table crying ;) )

Ann
06-24-2002, 07:56 AM
It's horrible and I hate it... I wish it wouldn't be allowed. I remember there was some website I read about this on and it said how the animals are bred only to be dissected and at some placed they even do it while the animal is still ALIVE...