PDA

View Full Version : Would You Be Angry?

Husky15
12-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Tonight one of the girls on my MSN list signed in and, being that I have the new MSN, I can see their display pictures when they pop up in the corner, well it just so happened that her display picture was a picture of my dog. She thought it was no big deal (don't worry, I did approach her calmly).

I just want to know, would you be angry if someone used your dog on their display picture?

Muddy4paws
12-31-2006, 09:28 PM
As long as she wasnt claiming it to be her dog I wouldn't mind. I would take it as a compliment :)

Husky15
12-31-2006, 09:30 PM
You're right. It's just that this girl is young and untrustworthy so I just got a little protective once I saw my doggy in her pic. When I say untrustworthy one example is that she lies a lot.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-31-2006, 09:30 PM
I do tend to get a bit upset when someone uses any of my pictures for anything, but I get over it pretty quick. Nobody has ever used my dogs' pictures as their display pic unless they've taken the picture themselves so I don't know how I'd react if they used a picture that I took. It's really not a big deal, as long as the person isn't claiming my dog as their's.

Muddy4paws
12-31-2006, 09:31 PM
If you cant trust her then ask her to remove the photo, make up an excuse that you dont like your dogs photos being online because of dog theft I'm sure she would understand

Husky15
12-31-2006, 09:32 PM
I do tend to get a bit upset when someone uses any of my pictures for anything, but I get over it quickly. It's really not a big deal, as long as the person isn't claiming my dog as their's.

I'm usually like that too, I don't really mind when it's close friends, relatives, and people I trust, but not when it's people I'm not too good of friends with and don't trust, I tend to get protective.

If you cant trust her then ask her to remove the photo, make up an excuse that you dont like your dogs photos being online because of dog theft I'm sure she would understand

Thanks. She's like a ticking time bomb though so I have to watch what I say and make a really good approach.

Kalei
12-31-2006, 09:32 PM
They had a pic of Belle up? Yeah I agree with the top reply, if they just have it on cause she's pretty and not claiming it to be hers, then its alright to me, theres a few times that I put pics of my bestfriends animals up just because I love them too and they are cute! She never cares! :)

Husky15
12-31-2006, 09:34 PM
They had a pic of Belle up? Yeah I agree with the top reply, if they just have it on cause she's pretty and not claiming it to be hers, then its alright to me, theres a few times that I put pics of my bestfriends animals up just because I love them too and they are cute! She never cares! :)

True, true, but like I said this is one girl that I do not trust.

By the way, thanks for your replies. I just wasn't sure if I was overreacting or not.

applesmom
12-31-2006, 09:45 PM
It would depend on her motives as to whether it would make me mad or not.

Since you've made it quite clear that you consider this person a "ticking time bomb" in addition to your comment;
True, true, but like I said this is one girl that I do not trust. It would seem in your own best interests to ask her politely to either remove the photo of your dog, or suggest that she clearly state who the dog belongs to and why she chose to use that photo instead of one of her own dog.

Good luck! :eek:

Husky15
12-31-2006, 09:53 PM
It would depend on her motives as to whether it would make me mad or not.

Since you've made it quite clear that you consider this person a "ticking time bomb" in addition to your comment.

It would seem in your own best interests to ask her politely to either remove the photo of your dog, or suggest that she clearly state who the dog belongs to and why she chose to use that photo instead of one of her own dog.

Good luck! :eek:
Thanks for the advice. I don't want to go into too much details with this girl, but yes she is like a ticking timebomb and untrustworthy. I think I will speak to her about it. But like I said, I wasn't sure if I was overreacting or not.

dukedogsmom
12-31-2006, 10:20 PM
I don't think I would have liked that without her asking permission first. But only if they were an acquaintance and not a friend.

Husky15
01-01-2007, 12:00 AM
I don't think I would have liked that without her asking permission first. But only if they were an acquaintance and not a friend.

Yes, that's exactly how I think. I mean, I don't even consider this girl an acquaintance.

And just so everybody knows, I politely and calmly asked her if she would take it down, and after a few minutes she did, which is good. Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. :)

wolfsoul
01-01-2007, 12:21 AM
I don't know how I'd feel if it was just some random person. Marla uses pics of my dogs that I take sometimes, but then we have the same breed and she bred Visa and co-bred Solo, and she really loves my pictures...So it's not a problem at all, I feel happy when she uses my pictures. I use pictures of her dogs as my display sometimes too. Sometimes I will use pics of my friend's shelties, but they are pictures that I took and I'm not trying to make it look as if I own the dog, I just love photography and like to show off my pics sometimes -- and her dogs just happen to be good subjects. ;) And they are cute. lol.

But I think it's different when it's someone you only know over the internet and it wasn't their picture or anything. That just strikes me as odd.

applesmom
01-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Yes, that's exactly how I think. I mean, I don't even consider this girl an acquaintance.

And just so everybody knows, I politely and calmly asked her if she would take it down, and after a few minutes she did, which is good. Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. :)

Glad to hear that the situation has been resolved peacefully. :)

borzoimom
01-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the advice. I don't want to go into too much details with this girl, but yes she is like a ticking timebomb and untrustworthy. I think I will speak to her about it. But like I said, I wasn't sure if I was overreacting or not.
I know this is resolved, but Out of consideration, she should have asked you number one. Number 2, I realize she is young, but if you have a nervous feeling about it, I would ask her to remove your dog from her display. You really do not even need to give a reason of theft- just that it is your dog, and you have the right who has YOUR dogs picture and who doesn't.
On websites, we share pictures of related dogs. ALWAYS is permission asked and given in email form as to using the picture on the webpages. I have the same situation with my dogs parents, and siblings, as well as the use of my dogs on their website... The reason for this permission is NOT theft- its the impression of who owns the dog- and credit is always given with the picture...

Kfamr
01-01-2007, 08:00 AM
If it was a friend, I'd have no care in the world. However, by the sounds of it she isn't even your friend.

People have taken and used pictures of my dogs before with asking me. It's pretty annoying.

Husky15
01-01-2007, 01:29 PM
wolfsoul; totally agree, it strikes me as odd as well. And when my family and good friends use pictures of my dog I tend to feel happy too.

borzoimom; you made a very, very good point. I definitely shouldn't have to use an excuse where she is my dog. I mean, if she asked permission I probably would have considered it, but since I know what she is like and used it without permission it just made me wonder.

Kfamr; she isn't much my friend, she is just a girl that my cousin sorta knows from back where I used to live. I have seen her in person and said hello, but for the most part we just talk online. And I agree, it is annoying - very annoying.

cyber-sibes
01-01-2007, 09:52 PM
It may only be MSN, but using someone's photo without permission or photo-credit is a no-no. She should be made aware of that. Maybe in this case there is nothing legally wrong - but the practice should be discouraged as it could be copy-right infringement under the right circumstances.

BC_MoM
01-01-2007, 09:54 PM
I have to tell you, I wouldn't like it. They can easily tell you they're just having it there because the dog is nice looking - and then tell another it's THEIR dog.

Maybe I'm just selfish, though. :confused: :o

Husky15
01-01-2007, 10:00 PM
It may only be MSN, but using someone's photo without permission or photo-credit is a no-no. She should be made aware of that. Maybe in this case there is nothing legally wrong - but the practice should be discouraged as it could be copy-right infringement under the right circumstances.

Totally agree with you. I don't care if a good friend or family member uses a photo of her because I trust them, but if it's someone I don't trust or is - or not even an acquaintance then it just makes me a little annoyed.

I have to tell you, I wouldn't like it. They can easily tell you they're just having it there because the dog is nice looking - and then tell another it's THEIR dog.

Maybe I'm just selfish, though. :confused: :o

Exactly why it made me wonder a little. And I don't think you are selfish at all. I asked a couple of my friends how they would react and they seemed like they would get more upset then I did. It's definitely not selfishness.

bckrazy
01-02-2007, 02:34 AM
my friends have pictures of my dogs in their wallets! teehee :]

however, if this was a random person who doesn't really know you or your dog, I'd be a bit suspicious or annoyed. there DEFINITELY are wierdos out there that use other peoples dog pictures and say its their dog... as we have seen on PT!

borzoimom
01-02-2007, 06:07 AM
I wasn't going to post this, but we had this person that wanted to use Zubin to her female. In the checks on our end, we decided the line would not be something I want my male to stud. So we turned her down polietly with the reasons. A few weeks later, out of boredom, I cruised her website only to see a picture of Zubin ( the show picture of him on my website) listed as " coming litter..". I wrote her a email , requesting receipt, and called her. She said she forgot to take it off, and did so immediately.. ( uh huh..). The point is- the use of my dog on her website with my dogs picture would be used for advertising for her puppies..
Maybe I am wrong here, but use of your dog on her sources to me is like having someone else's child on their site/im etc. Highly suspecious, and it would raise the hair on the back of my neck with suspecion.. I believe your actions and requests are totally justified- TOTALLY..

Husky15
01-02-2007, 12:20 PM
my friends have pictures of my dogs in their wallets! teehee :]

however, if this was a random person who doesn't really know you or your dog, I'd be a bit suspicious or annoyed. there DEFINITELY are wierdos out there that use other peoples dog pictures and say its their dog... as we have seen on PT!
LOL! That's so cute. ^_^

And I agree, and I have heard of those things happening on PT, it really is sad.

I wasn't going to post this, but we had this person that wanted to use Zubin to her female. In the checks on our end, we decided the line would not be something I want my male to stud. So we turned her down polietly with the reasons. A few weeks later, out of boredom, I cruised her website only to see a picture of Zubin ( the show picture of him on my website) listed as " coming litter..". I wrote her a email , requesting receipt, and called her. She said she forgot to take it off, and did so immediately.. ( uh huh..). The point is- the use of my dog on her website with my dogs picture would be used for advertising for her puppies..
Maybe I am wrong here, but use of your dog on her sources to me is like having someone else's child on their site/im etc. Highly suspecious, and it would raise the hair on the back of my neck with suspecion.. I believe your actions and requests are totally justified- TOTALLY..
Wow, that sounds WAY too suspicious to me. Wouldn't that be illegal of her to do that? And it's good that you checked the website, because she could have been lying to you and was gonna keep it up and then give people false information that he is the father of the litter. It's good you contacted her.

borzoimom
01-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I am now copywriting my show photos.. Lesson learned..