PDA

View Full Version : Bailey (Great Dane) Needs A Home

Crazy-Cat-Lover
12-31-2006, 04:43 PM
I thought I would post this on here first, before I contact a rescue. We need to find Bailey a home ASAP, we can't find a rental that will allow us to keep him. He turned a year old on December 9th, is not neutered, very well behaved, loves every dog/cat/person he meets. Most of you already know Bailey, so if someone here can give him a home I would be greatful.

We live in Surrey, BC and he is currently at the vet clinic. The only adoption fee I am asking for is the money to pay for the kenneling, I think it's roughly $20-30 per day. Please let me know if any of you can take him or know of a rescue that can - it has to be soon since he's been at the clinic since the 27th.

We really have no choice and are extremely heartbroken. But we need a home, and can't seem to find one that will let us keep Bailey.

PM me for contact info.

CatLuvrs
12-31-2006, 04:51 PM
:( I know this is breaking your heart and I am so sorry you and your family have to go through all of this.

buttercup132
12-31-2006, 04:53 PM
Can't your sister hold him for a while?
I REALLY would hate for you to have to give him up forever I know how much your love him:( I hope that someone on here can help.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
12-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Can't your sister hold him for a while?

We are staying with my sister, but there is no room for him here. :(

Vela
12-31-2006, 04:56 PM
If I lived anywhere near you I would take him in a heartbeat. I am so sorry that there is no way I can help you. I know this is breaking your heart. I hope someone close and on PT can help.

Alysser
12-31-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this heartbreaking news for you guys. I wish I was closer. {{hugs}} Good luck!! Agian, I'm SO sorry for you and your family.

borzoimom
12-31-2006, 05:18 PM
:( I know this is breaking your heart and I am so sorry you and your family have to go through all of this.
I agree totally.. I am trying to figure out who it was as a Pt'r that wanted another dane that lived there.. Modify your title like Bailey the dane... Maybe that will flush them out.. I know this is heart breaking. Having large dogs, housing can be very hard, and the joke is, the bigger dogs are calmer than the smaller ones..

Vela
12-31-2006, 05:31 PM
It's only been a few days since the fire, are you sure you can't find a house to rent, or find someplace? I can't imagine you have had time to searc every rental available in those few days, maybe you could try to give it a little more time, or try to find a temporary foster?? I dunno I just think it's so sad and I really want for you to be able to find a place and sometimes it just takes a little longer.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
12-31-2006, 05:35 PM
It's only been a few days since the fire, are you sure you can't find a house to rent, or find someplace? I can't imagine you have searched every rental available in those few days, maybe you could try to give it a little more time, or try to find a temporary foster?? I dunno I just think it's so sad and I really want for you to be able to find a place and sometimes it just takes a little longer.

We have asked everyone we know if they can foster, and they can't. We have searched all the local papers, websites etc. It is costing $20-30 per day to kennel Bailey and that is money we don't have right now.

borzoimom
12-31-2006, 05:37 PM
We have asked everyone we know if they can foster, and they can't. We have searched all the local papers, websites etc. It is costing $20-30 per day to kennel Bailey and that is money we don't have right now.
This fire was not your fault- there is a responsible insurance company behind something here. Can you find out who they are? Also- maybe your vet would help and board them. If you have been a client for a while, they might just do that. Also- maybe the breeder could take the dog for a little while to board- I know I would!

borzoimom
12-31-2006, 05:39 PM
And check with great dane rescue. Here in the states, most rescues could find a foster home.

borzoimom
12-31-2006, 05:49 PM
okay try this- this is the BC great dane club and the rescue link is attached- I bet they could find a foster for you.. Let me know.. http://www.westerngreatdaneclubofbc.com/events.htm

binka_nugget
12-31-2006, 05:49 PM
I'd foster him if I didn't already have a foster here.. :(

Try http://brindleweb.com/rescuebb It's a forum for BC Rescues. I'm sure they'd be able to find a foster home. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-31-2006, 06:47 PM
I am so sorry. :(

Have you tried contacting Bailey's breeder? If not, I'd give that a try. Most good breeders will take a dog back if need be and under special circumstances (like yours) some will even keep the dog until the original owner is able to take it back.

I can't foster and I'm too far away anyhow. I hope you're able to find someone who can foster him for a bit instead of finding him a new home.

borzoimom
12-31-2006, 06:50 PM
I am so sorry. :(

Have you tried contacting Bailey's breeder? If not, I'd give that a try. Most good breeders will take a dog back if need be and under special circumstances (like yours) some will even keep the dog until the original owner is able to take it back.

I can't foster and I'm too far away anyhow. I hope you're able to find someone who can foster him for a bit instead of finding him a new home.
I was wondering about the breeder too. I took a shepherd back for two months when the owner had bi pass surgery..

Daisy and Delilah
12-31-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I know you guys are saddened beyond belief over this. I hope and pray something happens so you can keep him. He's such a beautiful boy and a big lovebug.

chocolatepuppy
12-31-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm sorry. :( I hope you can find a way to keep him. {hugs}

Husky15
12-31-2006, 07:32 PM
I am SO sorry. :( I really hope you can find a way to keep him or are able to find someone on PT or someone you really trust to take him. I'd love to take him, but my parents wouldn't allow it and we live too far.

luvofallhorses
12-31-2006, 07:33 PM
I am really sorry. :( I really hope you can find a way to keep him. :( hugs to you and Bailey!

Danegirl2208
12-31-2006, 08:04 PM
omg sasha :( How heartbreaking, i really wish i was closer to help :( Have you contacted his breeder??? I would hope they could take him back?? This is just so sad..please keep us updated hun.

dukedogsmom
12-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Very sorry to hear this. I agree about contacting the breeder. Maybe they can even hold Bailey for you until you can find a place.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-01-2007, 12:43 AM
I will phone the breeder tomorrow. She said the only stipulation to us taking him was that if we needed to rehome him, he had to go back to her. Her website is gone, but I do have her phone number on the papers she gave us (which are stuck in the apartment until we're allowed in).

I will updated tomorrow.

Twisterdog
01-01-2007, 01:13 AM
I agree with others' responses ... don't jump the gun here. Don't panic and do something you are going to regret forever.

First, tell your vet/boarding kennel about your situation. Maybe they will waive the fee. I own a boarding kennel, I know I would.

Second, call your breeder. If he/she is a reputable breeder, I cannot imagine him/her not taking the dog back temporarily.

Third, call your local shelter/humane society. Maybe they will keep him for little or no charge, or can give you references for foster homes. And contact Great Dane rescue. I KNOW they will help in any way they can.

Fourth, call you local newspaper. Tell them your plight, and ask them to run a follow up article after the fire. Public interest stories like that always sell papers, and I'm positive you would recieve overwhelming responses.

There are a LOT of options here.

If all else fails, and I know something in the above list will work out for you, I will keep your dog for you until you have straightened things out. My husband loves Danes. I'm not sure where you are in Canada, and we may have to enlist the help of our PT friends and/or Dane rescue transport folks to get him, but I'm sure everyone would help out if they are between you and I.

Kfamr
01-01-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm so sorry. I too hope your breeder will take him back or atleast foster him. Good luck. :(

jenluckenbach
01-01-2007, 08:38 AM
She said the only stipulation to us taking him was that if we needed to rehome him, he had to go back to her.
Well, here is the answer to your queestion. Bailey will go back to the breeder. Maybe there would be a way to make it temporary, if you plan on continuing to look for a home where you CAN have a large dog.

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I could imagine myself in a similar situation if anything happened to our home, and it is very scary and depressing.

Prayers for a better start in 2007.

cyber-sibes
01-01-2007, 09:20 AM
:( This has got to be unbearable, especially right after losing your home. I agree about contacting his breeder --this is a REAL emergency, not just "you changed your mind" kind of deal, It would be great if she could just take him back till you are on your feet.
I know Sherman's breeder promised us that he would have a home with them forever, should the need arise. I think most breeders feel that way. You are in our prayers.

borzoimom
01-01-2007, 12:59 PM
What did the breeder say and the rescues? Any updates??

animal_rescue
01-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Well if need be I can foster too. I'm about 36 hours away from you though, so it would take some serious help to get him down here.

borzoimom
01-02-2007, 08:21 AM
bumping this back up. ... How is it going??? :confused:

The Cat Factory
01-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I am logged in to my sisters account right now... This is Crazy-Cat-Lover (Tasha)

Sorry I didn't update sooner, we've been busy trying to find a place. Unfortunately, the only rentals we can find will only allow us to keep our cats. All of our stuff has to be moved to storage as soon as we're allowed back into the apartment. DH called a bunch of places, and the only one that would allow Bailey is unaffordable. We barely have enough money to move.

It is heartbreaking, but we need a home. I wish the apartment didn't start on fire, then we wouldn't have to rehome our dog. I have cried myself to sleep every night.

borzoimom
01-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Oh honey- I wish I could foster him, but I cant even drive now.. Never mind the distance.. I hope others see this.. Did you call Dane rescue link I sent?? There must be something or your vet- knowing your situation...

GreyhoundGirl
01-02-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm so sorry, I know how hard this must be. I didn't even know you went through a fire. Forgive me, (((HUGS))).

I really love poor Bailey, and you know I would take him in a heartbeat. But it's much too far away. :(

Good luck with whatever you try. (((HUGS))) Hopefully, his breeder will take him back for a while.

critter crazy
01-02-2007, 12:44 PM
If I lived closer i would take him, i have been wanting a dane for years!! I am so sorry you have to go through this!! I sure hope you can find a good home for Bailey, he is such a doll!!

buttercup132
01-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Could you find another vet who would keep him free of charge?
Maybe you could get someone to post something in the paper?

areias
01-02-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm sorry to hear of this-you say you are looking for apartments-what about an affordable small house? MANY rental houses through a private owner will accept pets, especially if that situation is explained. Or maybe a townhome, or even a trailer? You can probably find something as cheap as an apartment, around here you can. I would honestly foster him for you if I had my house back (work out a shipping arrangement) but there is simply too many dogs here at my moms. You know-let me talk to a friend of mine, on average how much would cost to ship him?

Flatcoatluver
01-02-2007, 01:29 PM
I live very close to you. Would you be willing to pay 15 a day to bored at my work? My co-worker might also be interested in Baily. I will talk to my boss today and see if we can maybe work on a plan to bring Baily in for cheap.

tikeyas_mom
01-02-2007, 02:45 PM
oh no this is horrid...
I would love to take Bailey, but our Landlord doesnt even know about our Third dog.. We are only allowed to have two here, and a Great Dane is way to hard to hide.. good luck..

Kfamr
01-02-2007, 02:54 PM
I may have missed it, but you said the breeder would take him back.
So, have you contacted him/her? :confused:

BC_MoM
01-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Is there anyway that PTers can help with costs? MY heart is breaking for you! :(

Argranade
01-02-2007, 02:56 PM
This is so sad :(

I know you'll miss your dog with all your heart,

If I too was closer I could keep Baily till you figured somthing out then hopefuly could keep him.

I hope there is someone around you who can do that! it would be great! :(

borzoimom
01-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Is there anyway that PTers can help with costs? MY heart is breaking for you! :(
Helping with the cost is a great idea. One 20 dollar donation would give a day.. Better than losing a treasured pet!

Flatcoatluver
01-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I am going to work in a hour. Should I mention Baily to my boss and see if we can work out a plan? I also might be able to babysit him, just have to ask my mom. My dad doesn't really care.

borzoimom
01-02-2007, 03:37 PM
I am going to work in a hour. Should I mention Baily to my boss and see if we can work out a plan? I also might be able to babysit him, just have to ask my mom. My dad doesn't really care.
I would check it out flatcoatluver- maybe something can come out of it. I do not think they will be on by the time you have to go.. God Bless you for trying!

GreyhoundGirl
01-02-2007, 03:45 PM

That sounds grand! Will he be able to go over the border, though...

(((HUGS)))

The Cat Factory
01-02-2007, 07:23 PM
That sounds grand! Will he be able to go over the border, though...

(((HUGS)))

He doesn't have a rabies shot, so I'm not sure? We will be calling the breeder later. A rescue in Mission is going to take him for 30 days, plus pay the vet bill.

leansnslobbers
01-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Please contact my friend Gwen at [email protected]
While she is not in your part of the woods, she has many contacts throughout all of Canada as well as the US.

She operates a rescue called Birch Haven and would be a wonderful source of options.

If you would feel more comfortable finding out more about Gwen before contacting her, here is a link to her rescue site.
http://www.birchhaven.org/

chocolatepuppy
01-02-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm so glad you found someone to take Bailey, for now. Prayers headed your way that you might find a place and could keep him. {hugs}

Flatcoatluver
01-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Oh good! I am glad you found someone. Good luck, and I know a whole bunch of great dane owners that will take him in if you need!

BC_MoM
01-02-2007, 09:40 PM
So they'll foster for you to give you a chance to find a place? That's great! :D

Danegirl2208
01-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Tasha thanks for the comforting news..i've been worried, this whole thing is just awful :( im glad to hear you have found a place for him.

Alysser
01-02-2007, 09:44 PM
This is GREAT news for your family and Bailey! :D I'm so glad you got something worked out!

bckrazy
01-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Oh, my god. =( I am so sorry.

I know you love Bailey more than anything, and I'm soooo sorry. I would absolutely foster him if you were anywhere near me, I swear I would.

Definitely check Dane rescue, a dog like Bailey would be wanted by so many loving homes... and maybe if it's possible, a foster home would take him until you could find a place. I would do that, if I could.

Ginger's Mom
01-03-2007, 05:55 AM
I am so happy to hear that a rescue is going to help you out. I will continue to keep my fingers crossed that you can find a dog friendly place to live.

borzoimom
01-03-2007, 06:30 AM
He doesn't have a rabies shot, so I'm not sure? We will be calling the breeder later. A rescue in Mission is going to take him for 30 days, plus pay the vet bill.
WHEW!!! Thank Goodness!! That may do the trick! I am so relieved! :D

Kfamr
01-03-2007, 07:26 AM
I contacted Alberta Great Dane Rescue last night and told them about your situation. Here is the reply I got this morning.

Hi Kay,

I do have a couple applicants from BC currently on file. How can
I/they reach your friend needing a new home for her dane?

Thanks,
Tanny
H: (403) 245-8222
W: (403) 297-3105

And her e-mail...

[email protected]

Would you like me to e-mail them or can you give me a number/e-mail they can contact you at?

The Cat Factory
01-04-2007, 12:44 AM
I contacted Alberta Great Dane Rescue last night and told them about your situation. Here is the reply I got this morning.

Hi Kay,

I do have a couple applicants from BC currently on file. How can
I/they reach your friend needing a new home for her dane?

Thanks,
Tanny
H: (403) 245-8222
W: (403) 297-3105

And her e-mail...

[email protected]

Would you like me to e-mail them or can you give me a number/e-mail they can contact you at?

I PM'ed you...

Kfamr
01-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi, I sent along the information to Tanny - she said she tried calling you all but it just rang. If you know, please contact her. She would like to help. :)

wolfsoul
01-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I am not far from you -- if you still haven't found a place that allows pets after 30 days feel free to contact me. If transportation can be arranged I will foster him for you. Otherwise I will ask around and see if anyone is looking for a great dane, incase you can't find a place that will allow him.

The Cat Factory
01-04-2007, 09:19 PM
We found a place and are most likely going to be able to keep Bailey!! :D :D Thanks for all the help! :)

molucass
01-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Oh that is wonderful news!
I really hope you do get to keep him.

I know I would be heartbroken if I had to give up any of my pets in that situation.

Ginger's Mom
01-05-2007, 05:50 AM
We found a place and are most likely going to be able to keep Bailey!! :D :D Thanks for all the help! :)
I am so happy to hear this. After reading Amy's post I needed good news. Yay!

Pawsitive Thinking
01-05-2007, 06:34 AM
I do so hope you get to keep Bailey

anna_66
01-05-2007, 09:02 AM
This is wonderful news! I do so hope it all works out for you!!

cyber-sibes
01-05-2007, 09:23 AM
That's wonderful! I'm really happy for you and Bailey.

ramanth
01-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Excellent news!!! :D

buttercup132
01-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Yay I'm glad he's somewhere safe for now.

chocolatepuppy
01-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Great news! :D

*LabLoverKEB*
01-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Wahoo! This is great news! Great!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I have good news and bad news...

First, the bad news. We finally found a place that allows pets, there are Boxers, Pitties, Labs etc. living here. We thought for sure we could take Bailey. After we paid our damage deposit and a months worth of rent, the landlord stated that we could only have SMALL pets. I read the strata bylaws and it says that in order to keep a dog over 15 inches, they must have their CKC CD Title. Unfortunately, Bailey didn't have one.

Bailey went to an awesome home. The lady that took him trains dogs for the movies. She trained quite a few dogs for movies. He lives very close to us and we are welcome to come and visit him whenever we want to. I cried all day yesterday, I had to watch the lady walk down our hall with him. I know he is much happier with her than he was at the vet clinic.

The good news is that we finally did find a rental. We are keeping all three cats.

Thanks for all your help and encouraging words, I truly am greatful for it.

Taz_Zoee
01-08-2007, 08:27 PM
That's great that Bailey found a home, it sounds like a good one.
Did you make any kind of agreement that you may one day take him back?
Or is this a forever situation? That's wonderful that you can visit him too.
Also great that you get to keep the kitties too. :D

BC_MoM
01-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I think that is crap that they make a dog have a "title" to live in a home. :rolleyes:
I'm glad you found such a loving lady to take him, though. I can't imagine how difficult it was for you to say goodbye.

Like Cindy says, if in the future the opportunity arises, do you think you would be able to get him back?

Alysser
01-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Its great you found Bailey a great home, but I'm sorry you had to say goodbye. (((HUGS))) I'm glad you & your family are making progress.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-09-2007, 01:51 AM
I have never ever in my life thought that this would be so dang hard. I raised Bailey from a pup into a well mannered, loving being. He was something very special to me and losing him ripped my heart out. My 3 year old daughter, Sierra, asked me "Why don't we have Bailey anymore? Did he run away?" It brings tears to my ears when she talks about "her dog". She loved him so much.

The reason we got Bailey was because in the old apartment, ALL dogs were allowed no matter what breed or size - I have wanted a Great Dane for a long time. We didn't plan on moving from there unless we found a place where we could keep Bailey. Then the fire happened and we were forced to leave him. He was confused, we were frustrated. Knowing that I am going to see someone else walking my dog down the street just kills me.

On getting him back, probably not. The only contract the new owner will have is the one that came from the breeder. I wouldn't want to take him away from his new family, he is going to be so happy there.

The worst part about it is waking up every morning knowing that he is gone. I can still smell him, and I saved his toys. I feel like I don't have a home anymore, it feels so wrong not having a dog.

chocolatepuppy
01-09-2007, 04:52 AM
I'm so sorry. :( Bailey will have a good life and you will get to see him. None of this is your fault, the fire was a sad twist of fate. :( Thank God you at least all got out safe. {hugs}

.sarah
01-09-2007, 05:03 AM
Oh my gosh Tasha I am so sorry about everything. I just don't know what to say, except that I am sorry :(

ramanth
01-09-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm so sorry that you were not able to keep Bailey.

Did you ever find Amadeus? *HUGS*

lute
01-09-2007, 10:24 AM
OMG! I just now saw this thread! I'm SO SO SORRY! What a horrible thing for you and your family to go through. I'm so sorry you had to give Bailey up. :( Good luck in your new home and getting on your feet again. maybe someday you can have another Bailey...just like one of these days I'll have another Jake.

Muddy4paws
01-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm so sorry you had to give him up, It must be really hard on you. At least you know he defiantly has a loving home, If that lady dedicates her life to working with dogs then Its no doubt hes gone to a fantastic home, Will you visit them?

applesmom
01-09-2007, 10:56 AM
I think that is crap that they make a dog have a "title" to live in a home. :rolleyes:

It's not so much about the title on the dog as it is a little more assurance for the apartment complex that the owner has the knowledge to be a responsible pet owner.

It's up to the owners of all rentals to set their own rules for accepting pets. Look at it this way; most apartment owners won't accept pets under any circumstances. This one at least gives responsible pet owners a chance!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Did you ever find Amadeus?

Yes, I found my special orange dude. He was still outside of the apartment after the fire. A lady from CDART (Canadian Disaster Animal Response Team) put out some food and water for him. Luckily, he stuck around long enough for us to find him. :D

lv4dogs
01-09-2007, 03:47 PM
I am so sorry you had to give Bailey up but it sounds like he went to a great home!
I've been watching this thread but unfortunatly I didn't have time to reply. You've been in my thoughts. HUGS