PDA

View Full Version : cat pee

ashleycat
12-31-2006, 12:23 PM
How well does a steam cleaner like rug doctor get it out of pads? Is it easier than dog pee?

I've already tried natures miracle. But it leaves a sticky feeling residue. And the smell is still there. Any better?

I've also poured white vinegar.

ashleycat
12-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Don't use carpet cleaners with hot water. There is lots of protein in cat urine which is why it smells so lovely. Heat sets protein stains and sort of fuses the proteins to the fibers. Once you heat em up, they will never come out. You may not smell it but your pet will.

See, I wanna pull up the carpet and just have the concrete, but hubby won't let me. So I gotta find another solution.

I was thinking of trying to get as much as I could out, then putting carpet protecting all over the floor and up the wall a lil bit so it doesn't go on the sides. That's where Ashely goes. Along the wall. But only in one room. She's done this since we moved into the house 3 yrs ago. She's not sick, I've had her tested. It is the same room that has her box in.

Marigold2
12-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Hello,
I am so sorry to hear about your cat pee problem. We have had the same. Two of our cats became sick, one had kidney failure the other had diabetes. Both started to pee in the house. Then we got a new cat, Jake, or as I refer to him the little pisser. Jake decided to pee all over our new family room carpet, mind you our house was newly built and only 4 years old when Jake decided to use the green family room carpet as a litter box. My husband and I were working full time and we didn't notice at first. Then one day I went in there to watch the tube and OH GOD what is that smell? We had to rip the carpet out, well I did one summer day because I could not stand the smell anymore. A friend of mine who is a professional house cleaner told me to paint the bare concreat with Kils several times and we have done that. Now I have a painted floor in my family room. It looks ok, it's white. My husband and I are saving up for new carpet. One thing that might work if you don't want to rip the carpet out is to go to Home Depot and purchase a large plastic runner, they are by the carpets. They will cut it to size, it's only a few $$$ and put that over the spot once you have it completely dry. Best of luck to you. It is a hard thing to have a pisser.

Catty1
12-31-2006, 01:44 PM
I have heard good things about Nature's Miracle...but you might want to call a vet or kennel, or a supply shop, and find out the name of the enzyme-eating solution they use.

Good luck!

ashleycat
12-31-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm trying to talk him into letting me pull it up. And atleast put that wood colored linoleum down. Well, not glue it down, just lay it down for temp. He's kind of iffy. I said, I don't know if she's still peeing there. All I know is I can still smell it and see it. Tho it's not strong when you walk in the room, I smell it when I'm on the floor. I have a black light. But I can't tell new stains from old ones.

ashleycat
12-31-2006, 01:49 PM
I have heard good things about Nature's Miracle...but you might want to call a vet or kennel, or a supply shop, and find out the name of the enzyme-eating solution they use.

Good luck!
Maybe I just didn't use it right. I just poured a whole bunch to soak it an let it sit. Am I supposed to steam it up? The residue I can feel. I may be smelling that rather than the pee. I know I just smell something when I'm on the floor. I don't smell anything when I walk in the room.

jennielynn1970
12-31-2006, 01:57 PM
In my place, my mom and dad's male cat started spraying. Then the girls got into the act. Never thought I'd see a girl cat go and wiggle her tail and pee down the wall. I had moved all the litter boxes to the basement, but then they started peeing on the concrete all along the edges! It was horrible and smelly!

For now, the basement is off limits and it smells fine. I moved the boxes to the 1st and 2nd floors, and still have spraying. I only have the girls now that spray, as the male that did spay went back up to mom and dad. The girls however, are peeing against the entertainment center, on the countertops, on the stove. I'm not sure who is doing the kitchen stuff, but I have an idea who it is. The worst is when it's the hardwood floors, not pergo, but real hard wood, because it gets black if you don't see it and clean it up right away. Very frustrating. Oh, and my one girl pees on the dining room table. They are so lucky I love them to death, otherwise they'd all be banished to a room upstairs and I'd have no kitties down here who sprayed. But, I can't do that to them.

The room where I have their litter boxes on the 2nd floor is now a mess... figured it would be. I actually put an old windowshade under the boxes since it would be easier to clean than the carpet, but they still hit the wall. Then also, someone(s) have started pooping on the floor!!! Argh!!! I moved a box to that area, and they are pooping around it. What the heck?! They are driving me nuts!!!

I've tried Feliway, but at this point, I'd have to have about 20 plugins around the house, and I just can't afford that many!

Freedom
12-31-2006, 02:30 PM
In my experience, "Nature's Miracle" wasn't. It didn't do the job. The smell stayed. And once you get the warm weather, Ugh!!!

I gave u on carpets.

The sheet linomleum is good, and the new hardwood floor, which as polyurethane. That's easy to maintain. The old hardwood floor has varnish and that goes black with the uric acid. Have to have all the old floors re-finished. Sigh.

krazyaboutkatz
12-31-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm sorry you're having this problem.:( I use Simple Solution and have found that this has worked the best for me and you can buy it at most pet stores. A friend of mine has also used Folex which is unscented and you can buy this at Target or most other department stores or drug stores. Good luck.:)

Medusa
12-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Dr. LeBeau prescribed Clomicalm for Specs and now Yodie and Boo, too. (Unfortunately, when one starts peeing, others usually get in on the act.) It keeps them calm and so far, I haven't had one incident and it's been a couple of weeks. To take the smell and stain out of fabric, I use Urine Gone and it really does the job. It's an enzyme and leaves no smell whatsoever. Hope this helps.

Blessings,
Mary

ashleycat
12-31-2006, 05:55 PM
is this orange kind better than the orig NM? http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_9638_PC_productlist_Nav_209_N_23+1 28+30+4903_sku_1008943_familyID_100140.aspx

ashleycat
12-31-2006, 05:58 PM
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_8067_PC_productlist_Nav_209_N_23+1 28+30+4903_sku_614874_familyID_100134.aspx

stink free w/o enzymes?

ashleycat
12-31-2006, 06:09 PM
or this GET SERIOUS lol. won't yellow. Ithink that's what I see on my carpet. Isn't the pee itself, but the yellowing from the NM.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 5522&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033673&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1167609672867&itemNo=0&In=Cat&N=2033673&Ne=2

catmandu
12-31-2006, 06:12 PM
I have a liquid that the Vet gave me when the about to be rehomed Porchies would have accidents, or spray what they thought was going to be thier new home to mark it.
Ive used it up, and cant recall the name, but the porch no longer is PU!
I will have to ask him for the name.
Good Luck with those sprayers.

mruffruff
01-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I have always used Simple Solution. I have a pisser in the crowd, so every morning I have to do inspection and clean. I keep a spray bottle handy.

I would soak every new and old stain and let them dry. It could take days. Keep the cats from renewing the stains until it's dry. Then steam clean. There should be no odor left. THEN cover the floor and wall with something you can clean easily; Sheet plastic comes to mind.

I have a sheet of plastic over my paper towels and a piece of plexiglas in front of my kitchen TV. A bedroom mirror is the current target.

jennielynn1970
01-02-2007, 12:50 PM
In my experience, "Nature's Miracle" wasn't. It didn't do the job. The smell stayed. And once you get the warm weather, Ugh!!!

I gave u on carpets.

The sheet linomleum is good, and the new hardwood floor, which as polyurethane. That's easy to maintain. The old hardwood floor has varnish and that goes black with the uric acid. Have to have all the old floors re-finished. Sigh.

Same experience here... Nature's Miracle did not live up to it's name (neither did the miracle bra, but we won't go there).

Also know all to well the whole hard wood floor ordeal. Dealing with that myself, along with the carpet, the countertops, the dining room table... where ever they feel like being pissers, they do it.

Catlady711
01-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Litter box problems are sometimes the most difficult to deal with, and the longer it continues the more of a habit it becomes.

As for removing stains/odors I use Vet Solutions Carpet Stain & Odor Eliminator (http://www.healthypets.com/vetsocastode.html). I don't know about ordering from that particular website, the link is just so you can see what it looks like. We sell it at work, but I don't know that all vets carry it, some pet stores might. I've used it when I've been potty training kittens and for kitty vomit stains (heck the stuff even worked on a mustard stain on light colored berber carpet!) I've had a bathroom rug I once washed in fabreeze and it still smelled of cat pee, but once I used the odor eliminator the smell was totally gone.

If she's peeing on the actual wall itself then your problem isn't just confined to the carpet.

Is she the only cat?
Is she spayed?
How old is Ashely?
Do you know if the previous homeowner had cats?

As far as her behavior at home try:

Adding another sandbox with no hoods, or liners. Rule of thumb is one box per cat plus one extra. At least one of those on each level of your home.

Fill second sandbox with plain clay unscented litter.

Scoop both boxes out once a day or more.

Dump out clay litter totally once a week/clumping litter a little less often, and put at least 2" of totally fresh litter in.

When you wash out the litter pan only use plain HOT water, no soaps/cleansers/chemicals.

Ask your vet about Feliway (a pheremone spray), although if you can't get all the odor out, I don't know how much help the Feliway would be.

Seriously look into the walls/baseboards to make sure that urine hasn't penetrated those.

Good luck.

catnapper
01-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Little known secret: Nature's Miracle sold their formula and had to change theirs so as to not compete with the company they sold their formula to. The new formula does not work.

I use Simple Solutioin and never had a problem. Allen peed on my daughter's brand new purse, but a quick squirt of Simple Solution and nobody other than Allen and me knew what he'd done.

ashleycat
01-02-2007, 02:25 PM
I just bought the orange oxy natures miracle. I poured a whole bunch in theliving room where Runner had gone. So far so good. STill wet tho.

Ashley: 8 yrs old. Spayed before her 1st bday. She started doing this when we moved into the house. She was good in the apartments.
She's done this before new pets. I don't think she's sprayed the walls. She's just peed next to wall on floor.

Previous owner did have cats. I hear he had a few and one was pg.