PDA

View Full Version : No Kill Shelter has to start killing

Lizzie
12-31-2006, 05:35 AM
Cross-posting from the thread Jenn_Librarian started in Pet Rescue:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=119200

This must be dreadfully difficult for someone who started out wanting to save as many cats as she could, and I am sure she has done so, but she's overwhelmed by people who throw their cats away. I understand why she chose to euthanize the pregnant females first, it's very logical, but it echoes in my mind to human females who become pregnant being "blamed".

doolittleky
12-31-2006, 04:12 PM
gosh I knew I shoudln't have read that. it updets me so much to know that cats are being killed simply because there is no other place for them. I read about the cat with only two fronts legs. I wish I could take him and help out somehow. It says that they won't adopt him toa person with a dog and I have Gracie. graice loves cats though so I don't know.
Melissa

lizbud
12-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Which pregnant females are being blamed, and for what?

jenluckenbach
01-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the cross post. With the holiday I have not heard anything new, but I hope to foster at least 1 of her cats.

catmandu
01-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Its very sad that these poor Creatures of God have to be PTS.
There seems to be no end to this as this genration has no sense of responsibility to thier Pets, and no guilt at dumping them out when they are no longer cute.
My friends at the Animal Welfare feel like the Greek Fellow who rolls a rock almost to the top of the hill, only to see it roll all the way back.
My friend Helen tells me that theres not a day they dont get calls with Idiots who no longer want thier Pets.
We are allergic suddenly.
They scratched the furniture.
They sprayed something.
They bit the child that was strangling it.
I think this will come to a head and all Pet Lovers will suffer, sadly.

Lizzie
01-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Which pregnant females are being blamed, and for what?

I did garble that, didn't I. I meant that, although far less likely to happen in the western world now, females get all kinds of blame for being pregnant and are made to suffer both physically and emotionally. When I was younger, it was not at all uncommon for a pregnant girl to get thrown out of the family home. So, although euthanizing pregnant cats is logical because it cuts the numbers of new cats needing homes, it resonates with me as victimizing the "pregnant female". I'm still not saying this well but hopefully better.

I received a response from Best Friends that they will be contacting the shelter direct, although how much they can do I don't know since they are helping many other small rescues in dire straights across the country. Perhaps they can at least take the cat with no back legs and he can join their Scooter.

In regard to people who dump their cats, please see the item called "Dear Mr. & Mrs. Average Idiot" which is about in the middle of the following:

http://www.gotcats.org/Rescuers.html

This is a wonderful sanctuary in Tennessee I found while looking for a place to take an elderly persian and siamese who had been dumped by their owner because she couldn't be bothered with them any more (at least she was honest!)

jennielynn1970
01-02-2007, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the cross post. With the holiday I have not heard anything new, but I hope to foster at least 1 of her cats.

I haven't heard anything either, and the first couple that are due to be PTS only have about a week left!!! :eek:

Hope there will be some info soon!!

doolittleky
01-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I just emailed her asking about Miracle and asking how many others she had left to adopt and if their pics where on Petfinder. Hopefully she will respond.
melissa