PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Too much barking! Please reply!

BoxerLover
12-12-2000, 09:30 AM
I have a boxer and I love her to peices and I know she wouldnt bite anyone, but she is VERY vocal. She barks when she meets people and they get scared. Maybe since she is a boxer they assume she is mean. But also because she is a boxer they cant see her docked tail wagging furoisly when she barks. Please help me try to stop her from barking so much! She is the loudest dog in the neighborhood and people complain! HELP!!!!

JKRJG24
12-12-2000, 09:41 AM
I know she won't be quiet!!!!1 I live next door to BoxerLover and Nikki woke me up this morning!!!!!! That is how loud she is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way BoxerLover get off the internet so I can call you!!!!!!!!!!!

Daisy's Mom
12-12-2000, 06:03 PM
Hmm can't help ya there, I'm afraid Daisy has the same problem but not as bad. She only barks when strangers come to the house. She also would never bite, but people do get scared. Although I must admit, it's very funny to see full grown men leap onto their UPS truck's hood to escape a little barking basset hound who would just give him kisses!! Who could be afraid of a jiggle little basset?

lhg0962
12-12-2000, 10:13 PM
Honey and Lilly, especially Honey, bark at strange noises and visitors. My Federal Express delivery lady has figured them out and brings them milkbones everytime she comes. She says she is so disappointed if they don't meet her at the door!
As for the barking, I am fortunate that I am able to keep my dogs inside a lot so that they don't bother my neighbors. I have had a couple of complaints which made me feel terrible. I never let them disturb anyone at night, but sometimes have to leave them out during the day.
I think you just have to be sensitive and careful where your neighbors are concerned and let them know you're doing everything you can to keep your dog from bothering them. Most people are very understanding.
Good luck.

sammi
12-13-2000, 12:18 AM
With one of my female labs we had I used a spray bottle with water (and I didn't think I was being mean to her or I NEVER would have used this method) and when she would bark I would say "no bark" and give her a quick squirt of water by her face. This soloved the problem and after a few times all I had to do was grab for the spray bottle I didn't even need to use it. She never lost her love of being sprayed by the water hose either! This might not be the best solution for all dogs esp. if they have fear issues. This is just what worked for me.

BoxerLover
12-13-2000, 10:25 AM
Thanks everyone for your help and tips and I'll try them but please keep posting. Nikki is also very sweet and if people knew her they wouldnt be afraid because they'd know she just give them kisses. I'll try the water bottle method. Thanks Sammi and everyone again and keep posting! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

BoxerLover
12-21-2000, 06:02 PM
Pleease keep posting! We need help! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif

JKRJG24
12-21-2000, 06:30 PM
O.K. She woke me up a couple of days ago again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats O.K. I love her anyway!! I guess thats a good way to wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RachelJ
12-21-2000, 06:55 PM
Correction of excessive barking takes perseverance. Keep using the command "No bark". When she stops reward her with a very enthusiastic "Good Dog". You might want to actually gently hold her muzzle so she can't bark as you say "No bark". She needs to understand the command first and then obey it.

I'm also a big advocate of checking out a lot of dog training books from the library. Different dog trainers frequently use different methods and you might find one that is the one that is best for you.

If this barking is occuring outside, I would bring her into the house as soon as she starts barking where you can control the behavior.

Vixis
12-22-2000, 06:35 PM
Here is an option to constant barking. Get a metal coffee can, place a handful of pennies in it. When the dog begins to bark, shake the can wildly at it. This will scare them into not barking, if this doesn't work the only effective way is to place a harness on it.

carrie
12-22-2000, 08:15 PM
The coffee can and the idea of checking out as many books as possible are great ideas.

The problem with any method you choose is that it has to be consistent. You can't discipline the dog before going out, let her bark all day and then discipline when you get home. It will work when the dog knows you are there (if you are lucky) but she will see you leaving as a sign that it's OK to bark again now.
I would suggest never leaving the dog in a situation where it is going to be a problem - train her to eliminate quickly while you are with her and keep her in the house when you are not around. This takes huge time and effort at first as you must ensure the dog is physically and mentally exhausted at first. You then have to make sure that every day has a dog exhaustion part to it - it's hard work, it's fun and the dog, and you, will love it!! The only thing the dog then wants to do is to go and lie on her bed, until dinner time, and then stay there until night time walkies and bed for the night.
If you don't have the space and time to walk the dog then train her to fetch, jump, weave etc.
Do not leave her where she can bark unchecked and give her body and brain excersise so she is happy to go to sleep when you are not around. Good luck.

RachelJ
12-22-2000, 08:36 PM
Excellent advice, Carrie.

BoxerLover
12-22-2000, 10:44 PM
OK, the problem is that some times she runs away from our house when we let her out to go potty. She then barks at everyone and makes them scared. How do I correct her then? I have a shock collar for her and that works great but it runs out of batteries in 75 hours so we can't run out and get batteries all the time.

carrie
12-23-2000, 07:49 AM
Get a long line and don't let her out without putting it on her.

RachelJ
12-23-2000, 03:48 PM
I agree with Carrie. My previous two dogs were put on a long line (for potty time) the first several years of their life. Eventually after they matured, they learned how to stay in their own yard. The third (the infamous Hannah) was difficult to housebreak, so I generally took her out myself on a longer leash (20 ft) for elimination. As it was apparent that she could never be trusted to stay in her own yard, we fenced in our back yard when she was three years old. It was a lot of work taking her out 4 - 5 times a day for three years, but it meant that she didn't run away, she didn't bark excessively, and she eventually was housebroken. These problems can be dealt with, but it often takes A LOT OF WORK. Your boxer is still young. Eventually she may learn to stay in her own yard without running away or barking, but not if she develops bad habits. Bad habits are hard to break. I never thought I would be taking a dog out to eliminate, but in the process of doing what had to be done, I discovered the joy of being outdoors very early in the morning, late afternoon, and at night. I learned to enjoy the cold and the snow, the wind and the rain, and see the stars in the sky. My back yard became a part of my home that I actually used. As my Hannah chased the blowing leaves, I enjoyed the simple pleasures of nature with her. The pleasure being together out of doors was something we both enjoyed. So my advice is get that long tie out and put her on it. Also you might try going out with her on a longer leash several times a day. Maybe like me, you will discover a deepening bond with your dog and the wonders of nature.