PDA

View Full Version : We Lost Our Home

Crazy-Cat-Lover
12-28-2006, 11:14 PM
On December 27th me, DH and our two daughters were sitting at home when the fire alarm went off. DH ran to the second floor and found a large fire in an apartment. He kicked the door in and was quickly met by black smoke. The fire started at 1:15 PM and was just in that one apartment. Not even an hour later, the fire had spread to the apartments next to it. I literally threw my three cats out the patio door and DH got Bailey out. Me and the girls went to my Mothers house and waited anxiously for an update. The fire destroyed 10 apartments, and water and smoke damaged 20.

Luckily we were on the very bottom on the opposite end the fire started. The fire burned for four hours before they managed to put it out. 30 meters of the roof caved in and there is 1000's of liters of water throughout the building, again, ours wasn't affected. 5 people were injured with one in serious but stable condition. Three cats and one dog perished in the fire, there may be more but they're not saying yet.

Me, DH, the girls and Sebastian are at my Moms. Amadeus is still loose outside, Augustus is with a friend and Bailey is staying at a vet clinic. We don't have a home anymore, we can't go back. I thank god that I have such wonderful parents, they have done so much for us.

We need to find a rental fast, and unfortunately, finding one that will allow Bailey is proving to be rather difficult.

Please pray for us, we don't want to have to part with Bailey. :(

Here is a link to the video of the fire...

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/index.html

Scroll down until you see Surrey Apartment Fire

DH is the guy in the plaid jacket, glasses and hat - he was on almost every news channel because he stayed until the fire was put out making sure nobody broke into our apartment and took our stuff.

Here is a news report...

Fire 'devastating for so many people'
Three residents, two firefighters injured in 'very stubborn' apartment blaze

Glenda Luymes, The Province
Published: Thursday, December 28, 2006

SURREY - Five people, including two firefighters, were rushed to hospital yesterday after a Surrey apartment complex burst into flames.

Fire crews used ladders to rescue two men from a third-floor balcony and carried out an elderly woman trapped inside the burning building. All three residents suffered smoke inhalation. The two firefighters were injured by falling debris.

"It was a very stubborn fire," said Surrey deputy fire Chief John Caviglia. "Once it got into the void between the ceiling and the roof, it was tough to stop it."

More than 100 people from 65 suites were evacuated as the fire ripped through the two top floors of the wood apartment on Hall Road, near King George Highway and 72nd Avenue. More than 75 firefighters from Surrey and Delta responded to the call at 1:16 p.m.

Many residents, shocked and upset, were forced to spend last night with relatives, while emergency social services opened a nearby seniors' centre for people with nowhere to go.

Some residents may never return.

"It was right above my place. I don't know if there will be anything left," said Elaine Gray, clutching her dog Trissie in one hand and her purse in another. "This is all I have. I don't know what to do."

Gray said she was out on her patio yesterday afternoon when she heard the residents in the suite above her fighting.

"I heard something like broken glass and someone throwing things," she said.

Gray called the property manager, who told her there was a slight smell of smoke coming from the unit but no evidence of a fire.

An hour later, the apartment's fire alarm began to ring.

"I grabbed my dog and went out the back. I could see the flames coming from their patio door when I got out," she said.

While Gray was speaking, a friend came to take her to spend the night at her home. The familiar face was enough to make Gray burst into tears.

"I can't just believe it," she sobbed.

Caviglia said 30 suites were directly damaged by the fire -- 20 by smoke and water and 10 by fire.

Firefighters pulled down part of the ceiling to stop the flames from spreading farther, but expected to be on scene through the night to prevent flare-ups. While crowds of displaced residents gathered on the lawn outside the apartment, the ruined building, part of its roof completely gone, continued to smoke, with flames periodically bursting from the roof.

Melissa Neilson helped distribute hot chocolate and food from a nearby bingo hall to the tired, cold crowd. Although she was also evacuated, her suite is in a separate apartment building and is likely fine. Her eight-year-old daughter was one of the first people to see the blaze.

"She was playing at the playground and she saw smoke," said Nielson. "She came running to the house, telling me to call the fire department."

By the time Nielson did, the building was glowing with flames.

The fire alarm alerted Shawn and Natalie Townsend to the blaze. They live in the apartment building, but are hoping their suite was far enough from where the fire began to be safe.

"There's always false alarms here, so I went and checked it out first," said Shawn. "The door felt hot and when I opened it, there was nothing but smoke."

Natalie woke their young son, who was taking a nap, and the family fled.

"I'm devastated. I'm angry. I'm sad. I'm worried about the people that were injured," she said. "This is an old building -- I don't know if it was up to the proper fire code. I don't know if anything in the building is up to code."

Louise Fehr came home from work to find the building in flames -- and her dog Lilly still inside.

"I don't know what to do. I can't go inside. I just hope she's OK," she said.

Janice Welsh said she had heard three cats and one dog had been killed by the smoke.

"This is devastating for so many people. It's a terrible, terrible thing to happen," she said.

© The Vancouver Province 2006

critter crazy
12-28-2006, 11:18 PM
OMG!!!!! How terrifying!! I am so glad that you, your family, and the critters all made it out safely!! I sure hope you can find an aprtment soon! Prayers are coming your way!!

Taz_Zoee
12-28-2006, 11:27 PM
I cannot believe this happened!! I hope you and your family find a home and are able to take Bailey with you.
And to think it may have been caused by a disgruntled tenant. That's so sad. :(
You and your family are in my thoughts.

BOBS DAD
12-28-2006, 11:36 PM
You Are In My Prayers!

slick
12-28-2006, 11:37 PM
72nd & King George.....my God, I'm just over the bridge in New West.
I'm going to PM you my contact information. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. In the meantime, I'm going to scout around and see what I can donate. I know that I have a couple of pillows and perhaps a blanket... This is such a shock and I'll be watching the 11pm news to see the report.

Prayers on the way.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-28-2006, 11:38 PM
I am so, so sorry. :(

I saw that on the news and the first person I thought of was you for some reason (simply because I know you live in an apartment in Surrey). I was hoping that it wasn't your apartment building though.

I hope you and your family will be able to find a home quickly - one that allows Bailey.

shais_mom
12-28-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm so sorry for you.
Please accept my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs from across the miles.

kimlovescats
12-29-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm so very sorry! :( You said you have had to move out, but are your belongings gone as well? I was a bit confused by your post. :confused: I know it is bad enough to have to fine alternate housing in such a hurry, but I am wondering if you've lost all of your furnishings and clothes as well! Please let us know and keep us updated!

Prayers for you and your family, and that you are able to keep your Bailey! Maybe a friend or family member could watch him for you for a while?

Hugs,
Kim

animal_rescue
12-29-2006, 12:09 AM
I'm so very sorry!

I'll be praying for you. :(

Crazy-Cat-Lover
12-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Everything we own is safe. The fire didn't make it to our end of the building, but nobody will be able to live in there. The entire building will be demolished, or condemned. There is 4 million dollars worth of damage. I will update you when I find out more information.

BC_MoM
12-29-2006, 01:46 AM
How devastating! I am so sorry! :( I'm so happy you and your family are safe, though.

I'm wishing you all the best in finding a new home to call your own as soon as possible. If there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask!

crow_noir
12-29-2006, 03:34 AM
I'm actually crying right now. I wish there was something i could do for you!

I don't know if they have it in Canada, but don't be afraid to ask for help on a FreeCycle group. (I think you'd have better luck looking through Yahoo Groups main search than through FreeCycle's main site. You can also type in you area than "Recycle" There was a huge legal dispute about a year ago and some groups chose to seperate from the actual FreeCycle.)

I know a place that rents to pet owners is the main concern. But every little bit of help helps. Who knows, maybe someone would rent to you free for a month or two while you all get back on your feet. :- )

crow_noir
12-29-2006, 05:12 AM
I hope something on here helps...

http://www.101apartments.com/rent/British-Columbia/Surrey.asp

http://www.canadarentals.net/city-view.cfm?CityID=282
Large 3 Bedroom Suite, Recently Reno'd - Available Dec 1 :
Posted: 25-Nov-06
- Recently renovated (New carpets, tile floors, paint, new appliances, refinished cabinetry)
- Wood-burning fireplace
- Carport and driveway
- Front deck
- Huge fenced backyard
- Shared laundry
- Located in Guildford area, Near transit, shopping, schools, parks
- N/S, pets negotiable
- $1000 + utilities
Surrey, BC
Jennifer
[email protected]

I know most of us here would think of this, but just in case...
http://www.petfriendlyrentals.ca/renters/petresume.php

http://www.petfriendlyrentals.ca/renters/petresume.php

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/apa/

http://www.vancouver-bc.com/Accommodations/PetsAllowed/

http://www.vancouver-bc.com/Classified/PropRent/

Large Executive Kits 2 Bedroom Garden Suite with Hot Tub **Pet Friendly**
Steps from the Beach and the convenient shops of West 4th, this upscale two Bedroom plus flex space has been recently udated with new appliances, hardwood floors, crown molding and paiunt. The unit has a rare wood burning fire place and a very large newly renovated kitchen with lots of cabinet and countertop space. In addition to a new beautiful large 700 sq f. paio, you can also enjoy a private 6 person hot tub situated directly outside the master bedroom. This part of the patio is completely covered from rain and is extremely private. The patio has a back gate with convient access to parking. In the master bedroom, you will find a walk-in closet with an entrance into a newly renovated bathroom. There is storage unit in the basement in addition to bike locker and a large comman Recreational Room where you will find a pool table, darts and a kids play area. The unit is available for February 1st, 2007 but dates can be slightly flexible. Pets allowed. For a private viewing this Sunday please e-mail.
Click to send an email (http://www.vancouver-bc.com/sendmsg.php?ad=164943)

Executive 2 Bedroom Garden Level Suite with Hot Tub **Pet Friendly**
Steps from Kits Beach and the convenient shops and restaurants of West 4th. This garden level suite has been recently renovated with new floors, paint, appliances and crown moldings. This large 2 bedroom unit has additional 9x9 flex space plus a goreous 700 sq. ft garden patio. Part of the patio is covered and this is where you will find a full functioning, private 6 person hot tub. The patio also has a back gate which has convenient access to parking. Please e-mail for additional photos or private viewing.
Call for more information: 604-734-8229
Click to send an email (http://www.vancouver-bc.com/sendmsg.php?ad=164434)

http://www.rentalsbc.com/advancesearch.html
http://www.rentalsbc.com/1t1m3listingdetail486.htm
Exclusive family oriented Fleetwood subdivision. Close to churches, parks, recreation centres, libraries. Ground level suite with private driveway & gated fence all around property. Ideal for children & pets. Utilities shared according to number of people. 6 appliances fridge, range, washer, dryer, dishwasher, garbeurator. Tiled kitchen floor & dining area. Nice.
Name Art Santos Phone 604 575 2542

http://www.sherlock-homes.ca/

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/
http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=7984941

http://www.canadianhomes4rent.com/

Dorothy39
12-29-2006, 05:28 AM
I'm at a loss for the Right Words~ :(

How horrible!!!!!

I am so sorry that so many people have been through such a devastating experience .

My Thoughts and Prayers go Out to You ~

chocolatepuppy
12-29-2006, 05:30 AM
How awful, I'm so sorry. :( I will pray for all of you. I hope you find a home soon and your other kitty Amadeus. There just has to be a place that will take Bailey. {hugs}

joycenalex
12-29-2006, 05:48 AM
thank you lord, you and your critters are unhurt. prayers that amadeus is quickly located. and you find a better rental. hugs, joyce in columbus

trayi52
12-29-2006, 06:27 AM
I know just how you feel, a couple of years ago, my house burned to the ground. We lost everything except the clothes on our back, we were lucky enough to get our cats, bird, and our dog out. There were no casualties. We were very worried about Mario, who was running loose, and runnning trying to look in the windows of the burning house.

If not for the People here at Pet Talk, I don't know what I would have done, they stood behind me all the way.

I am so glad none of you were hurt, please let us know if you lost all your stuff. You were not very clear on that. It is so hard to lose everything like this, you end up with a feeling of no place to go, as you stand watching your home go up in flames, please, please let us know if you need anything.

Willie

Vela
12-29-2006, 07:06 AM
She already stated they didn't lose any of their things, the fire didn't reach that end of the building thankfully. They just need to be able to go in and get their things out as soon as they can.

I hope you are able to find a new place to live soon and that you find Amadeus. Our prayers are with you.

trayi52
12-29-2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks Vela for the info, I just know how heartbreaking it is to loose your home. I am so happy to hear they didn't loose anything. When my house burned, we lost everything! If not for you people, I don't know what I would have done!

Thanks again for the information, I won't worry so much now. I'll just send some prayers along the way to the family, that everything goes smoothly, and they find a home quickly.

Willie :)

Vela
12-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Yes it's definitely a horrible ordeal no matter what, but it's a great blessing not to lose everything. It is hard to find a new place quickly, and they need to get their things out asap and get them into storage until they find a place, but it could have been so much worse so I am glad that it wasn't. I'm with you, will just keep sending prayers that they are able to get their things asap and find a new place to live that works for them with Bailey.

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Oh no :eek: , that is terrible..... :( . It is good to hear though that all of you and all your stuff are safe! I hope you find a new place to stay asap!! :)

anna_66
12-29-2006, 08:05 AM
OMG, I just can't believe this. I'm very glad to hear that you, your family and pets all were able to get out and that none of your things were destroyed. I just hope you'll be able to find a new place to live so you don't have to let Bailey go.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and please keep us updated on how your doing.

(((HUGS)))
Anna

Anita Cholaine
12-29-2006, 08:13 AM
OMG, this is so devastating :( The most important thing right now is that you're all safe and not hurt. Hopefully a new place to live will appear soon...

Tons of prayers on the way for you and your family, please keep us updated ;)

(((((HUGS)))))

Laura's Babies
12-29-2006, 08:45 AM
My heart and prayers are with you and all those who were living there. This has to have you so upset.... Prayers also for those that were hurt....

Pembroke_Corgi
12-29-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm so sorry...I hope you find Amadeus and you are able to find a place that will take all of your pets. I will be sending good thoughts your way.

finn's mom
12-29-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm just glad that you are safe. I hope you are able to find a place soon.

Randi
12-29-2006, 09:40 AM
What a horrible thing to happen, but I'm glad you're safe. :)

My thoughts are with you, and I hope you'll find a suitable place for you and your pets.

catnapper
12-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Gosh, what an awful tragedy. Glad to hear everyone is safe though. Prayers that you find a rental that will allow everyone.

Bengalz
12-29-2006, 10:26 AM
I've been following the news reports and it has been devastating for so many :( This is a terrible situation and I am so sorry for you and your family. Thank goodness most of your pets are safe and I hope you find the one that got away :(

If I can help in any way please send me a pm - prayers and hugs to you and hope that you will soon find a new home.

Please let us all know how things progress,
Betty

Alysser
12-29-2006, 10:33 AM
How devastating! I'm so sorry. :( I'm so glad to hear You and your family are all safe, and you guys didn't lose any items. I'll be praying you guys can find a place where Bailey is allowed. {{hugs}}

Miss Z
12-29-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm so, so sorry. How awful. You'll be in my thoughts, I'm glad you are safe and I deeply hope that you'll be back on track with a home soon.

Jadapit
12-29-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm so sorrry! What a horrible thing to happen. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

ramanth
12-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Oh hon, you are living my worst nightmare. Living in an apartment, I always worry that I'll come home one day to a fire.

I'm so glad you, your family, and critters are okay. I hope Amadeus is found soon and that you are allowed back in to your place to salvage what you can.

If there is anything we can do, please don't hesitate to ask. I see by the news video they are setting up a trust fund. If you find more about that, let me know. :)

*HUGS*

Ginger's Mom
12-29-2006, 12:20 PM
What a horrible thing to have happen at any time let alone during the holidays. I am so sorry and I will be sending out good thoughts and vibes that you will soon find a new apartment (one that will realize how lucky they are to have Bailey as a tenant). I am glad to hear that you, your pets, and your belongings are all unharmed.

lizbud
12-29-2006, 12:58 PM
What a terrible thing to have happened. I'm so sorry that you all were
caught up in this, but I am glad none of you were hurt.

Danegirl2208
12-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Omg Tasha :( I am so sorry..i am SO very relived to hear that you and your family are safe though...i will keep you in my prayers honey, and once again i am so sorry, i cant even imagine what your going through :(

Sevaede
12-29-2006, 01:40 PM
*HUGS*

I am so sorry. :(

We almost had something like that happen. The girl who lives in the other upstairs apt (next to ours) left her oven on and moved out.

I hope Amadeus is found soon! :(

Crazy-Cat-Lover
12-29-2006, 03:51 PM
I thought I would update everyone...

They found a black cat on 2nd floor right beside the apartment that started the fire. The apartment was totally destroyed, but the cat was in perfect health. Amadeus is most likely at the SPCA, DH is asking them as I type this.

Bailey is still at the vet clinic until we find a temporary home for him. We will try our hardest to find a place that will allow us to keep him.

There is a trust fund set up with Coast Capital Savings as well as...

Gracepoint Community Church is collecting monetary donations, furniture, bedding, towels, kitchen utensils, appliances, clothing, food and children's toys. You can drop by Gracepoint Community Church at 3487 King George Highway in Surrey between 9am and 9pm to make a donation. Their phone number is (604) 538-1825, email [email protected] or on the web at www.gracepoint.ca

Surrey Fire Department (604) 543-6700 is taking donations at any branch of Coast Capital Savings. The account is Surrey Firefighters Disaster Assistance Fund/Cedar Tree in trust. You can also drop by the Surrey Christmas Bureau at 7218 King George Highway through January 15th or call them at (604) 581-9623 www.surreychristmasbureau.com The Salvation Army is also collecting clothing for the residents left homeless by this fire. Please make sure items are gently used and in good working order.

I will update shortly, DH just went to the Seniors Center to get some food vouchers.

Thank you for all your prayers. :)

Tasha

krazyaboutkatz
12-29-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I'm just glad that you're all okay. I hope that you'll find Amadeus soon and that you'll be able to find a new place to rent that will also accept Bailey. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

lizbud
12-29-2006, 06:25 PM
I forgot to ask before but, did you have rental insurance? I really don't
know if it's avaiilable in BC or not. It probably can't cover everything, but
could be a good start. Do you all have a place to stay?

luvofallhorses
12-29-2006, 07:08 PM
omg I am so, so sorry!! :( I will pray that you guys find a house that will allow Bailey and your kitties. ((((HUGS))))

todd
12-29-2006, 10:23 PM
so sorry

Crazy-Cat-Lover
12-30-2006, 05:01 AM
I forgot to ask before but, did you have rental insurance? I really don't
know if it's avaiilable in BC or not. It probably can't cover everything, but
could be a good start. Do you all have a place to stay?

We have no insurance. We are staying my Moms house temporarily.

Luvin Labs
12-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Oh wow :(

I'm glad to hear all are safe.

Good thoughts and vibes coming your way!

ramanth
12-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I truely hope you find Amadeus and a new place that'll allow Bailey soon. *HUGS*

carole
12-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Oh my gosh this is so awful, i am so sorry for you,but so happy you are all safe and well, i surely hope you find your kitty soon and that you are able to find a place soon where you can have Bailey, this is everyone's worst nightmare, please know you are in our thoughts and hoping everything turns out ok, HUGS.

Dorothy39
12-30-2006, 05:43 PM
I've had you and yours on my mind since first learning of this tragedy!!!

I still feel so heartbroken about everything you're going through right now!!,I'ts got to be sooo stressful!!!!

I really Pray that you will find a nice place that will accept Bailey~ Have you seen Bailey lately?( How's he doing? Poor guy)

I'll keep checking back on this thread for further up dates~

(When can you go back and collect your possessions? :o )

A Black Cat started the Fire???? :eek:

lizbud
12-30-2006, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=Dorothy39

A Black Cat started the Fire???? :eek:[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone said that Dorothy. The cat was found outside the
apt where the fire started.

cyber-sibes
12-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Oh my gosh! Thank God you are all safe. You and your family are in our prayers.

Daisy and Delilah
12-30-2006, 06:45 PM
I feel so bad for you guys!! I sure hope this all ends up in a good way for all of you. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers :(
{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

*LabLoverKEB*
12-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Oh, this is awful news! I am so terribly sorry to read this. :( I am just as a loss for words. I really hope you and your family can get everything worked out, as soon as possible.

pitc9
12-31-2006, 11:32 AM
My prayers are with you that you soon find a place to rent that will allow you to take Bailey. I also pray that Amadeus is found!

Alysser
12-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Still praying for you ALL over here. ((Hugs))

crow_noir
02-14-2007, 08:32 PM
I found the post about Bailey. Just wondering how you and your family are doing? Is everyone back together (with the exception of Bailey.) I know you had said one kitty couldn't be found.

AdoreMyDogs
02-14-2007, 09:50 PM
I am so, so sorry for your loss :( You and your family will be in my prayers. I really hope you can find a place that will allow you to take Bailey :(

Catty1
02-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Amadeus was found ok! Lookie here!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1735698#post1735698

crow_noir
02-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Thank you ! ! ! :D

Amadeus was found ok! Lookie here!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1735698#post1735698