PDA

View Full Version : I have a job interview tomorrow!!! UPDATE

moosmom
12-28-2006, 05:46 PM
There is a small community newspaper in my town that is looking for a full-time reporter/staff writer. They're expanding for more human interest stories. I applied and sent them some of my by-lines to show my writing skills. I got a call today asking if I could come in tomorrow for an interview!!!

I'm excited! I've wanted a job as a writer for years since I quit the Hartford Courant, before moving to Michigan.

I'll keep you posted on the status when I get home.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Catty1
12-28-2006, 05:49 PM
WOOHOO!

Will you still be able to stay on at BB&B til you see how it goes?

That's great, to do something you really love! :)

caseysmom
12-28-2006, 05:54 PM
That sounds like a wonderful opportunity Donna, I hope and pray you get it.

krazyaboutkatz
12-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Good luck Donna!!! I hope that everything will work out for you.:D

GreyhoundGirl
12-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Good Luck, it would be great to do something you love!

ramanth
12-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Oh Good Luck Donna!!! :D :D

joycenalex
12-28-2006, 06:43 PM
donna, best of luck. fingers and toes crossed for you

moosmom
12-28-2006, 07:28 PM
I'll have to see how the schedule is before I decide whether or not to stay at BB&B.

To be honest, I don't think it will be feasible for me to stay there given the fact that my work will have strict deadlines that have to be met.

We'll see.

krazyaboutkatz
12-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Donna, Aren't you also working part time at Petco too?

Laura's Babies
12-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Wahoo!! Good Luck!

Logan
12-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Donna, Aren't you also working part time at Petco too?

I believe Donna quit Petco before Christmas, Tracey, due to a scheduling issue.

Good luck with your interview, Donna.

Logan

kuhio98
12-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Good luck, Donna! Everything's crossed. Sending good vibes your way.

BOBS DAD
12-28-2006, 09:15 PM
That sounds wonderful Donna. I hope that if it is what you want and it works out for you, then you go girl!!! Good luck and all the best wishes!

kimlovescats
12-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Oh Donna, this sounds like a wonderful opportunity! Good luck and please let us know how it goes!!!

Kim

CatLuvrs
12-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Good Luck! I can't wait to see how it went!

Dorothy39
12-29-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed Donna!!!!

They could use a good Writer like you~ I hope there's a desk in your next job!!!!

How exciting, Please, keep us posted!!!!!

DrKym
12-29-2006, 02:00 PM
WTG ! will definitely cross everything! Wishing it for ya Hunny! :D

JenBKR
12-29-2006, 02:11 PM
YAY! I am just now reading this, so I will be very anxious to hear how it goes. Congratulations on getting the interview, and good luck in getting the job! I'm praying for ya!

moosmom
12-29-2006, 09:53 PM
The interview went VERY well. I have another interview next week with the General Mgr . and publisher. Ms. Hunt told me she was very impressed with the by-lines I sent to her. She told me that she's looking for someone with my experience that will fit into the newsroom. She asked me if I would be willing to start off part-time for a couple of months just to get my feet wet. I said ABSOLUTELY!! The person whose place their looking to fill won't be leaving for good till sometime in February.

She asked me if I had any questions for her. I asked her if I was not the one chosen for the position, would it be possible to write for them as a freelancer on a "Pet of the Week" column. I told her I have alot of contacts with various rescue organizations, ACO's and am actively involved in animal rescue. She said not to short change myself and that they have been considering something like that for a while and definitely wanted to talk about it.

All in all, I'm confident. I'll let you know. *does the happy dance*

kimlovescats
12-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Wow, that sounds great either way!!! :D

DrKym
12-29-2006, 10:09 PM
:d Woooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooo

Argranade
12-29-2006, 10:45 PM
ooOOOoo I hope you get this job I know you'll desurve it very much! :)

ramanth
12-29-2006, 11:48 PM
Yaaayyyyy!!! Good luck with the next interview! :D

K9karen
12-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Just saw this, my friend, and I couldn't be happier for you!!! Sounds like the perfect job for you! You definitely deserve it!!!!

Dorothy39
12-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Great News !!!!!!! :D

What a Dream Job, huh!!!!!

Prairie Purrs
12-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Sounds very promising! Your willingness to begin part-time or to write a column no doubt made a good impression--it let them know that you can be flexible to meet their needs.

I'm sending all my journalism-career vibes your way. They're about 20 years old (my last newscast sign-off was in 1985), but maybe they'll still help. ;)

krazyaboutkatz
12-30-2006, 02:01 PM
This sounds very promising and I sure hope that you'll get the job. Good luck.:)

Catty1
12-30-2006, 11:11 PM
YAAAAA-HOOOOOO!!!!!

Fingers and eyes crossed! :D

moosmom
01-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Haven't heard from the newspaper yet. HOWEVER, my manager at Bed, Bath & Beyond called to tell me that one of the girls gave her notice. She works at Customer Service all the time (I LOVE working CS!) and her last day will be Jan. 22nd. He asked me if I'd be willing to work up to 35 hours/week (at $8.75/hr) with no benefits. He wanted to know what the status was of the newspaper job and I told him I hadn't heard anything (Joan did say a possible Thursday interview would be scheduled). I asked him about my yearly review with raise and he said the raise wouldn't be till the beginning of February. I told him I wouldn't need benefits since I get them through the state anyway.

I'm kind of stuck here. Do I take the job at BB&B and hope that the newspaper job comes through eventually?? Or do I wait till I hear from the newspaper?? The paper would be paying me almost $15/hr with benefits, 401K and profit sharing, not to mention my own Pet of the Week column. And I'd be doing what I love doing best, writing.

Any thoughts???

borzoimom
01-02-2007, 04:58 PM
I would start with what you have in your hand, and go from there. Take the BBB and go from there.. Its something.. and in your hand..

Craftlady
01-02-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm kind of stuck here. Do I take the job at BB&B and hope that the newspaper job comes through eventually?? Or do I wait till I hear from the newspaper?? The paper would be paying me almost $15/hr with benefits, 401K and profit sharing, not to mention my own Pet of the Week column. And I'd be doing what I love doing best, writing.

They (newspaper) havent formally offered a job. BB&B has offered an advancement, that's a sure thing. I'd take BB&B and wait out the newspaper.

Laura's Babies
01-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I agree with what Craftlady said... "a bird in the hand" rule applies here.... Until you see if you get that other job then it would be GOODBYE BBB!

moosmom
01-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Until you see if you get that other job then it would be GOODBYE BBB!

I guess I got my answer!! I gotta do what I gotta do to pay my bills. I called my manager at triple B and told me I'd take it. I just hope I hear from the newspaper in the meantime.

kimlovescats
01-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I know it is confusing, but you are actually in a great "predicament"! You have bargaining power with your current employer! Because he knows about your pending newspaper job, he is more likely to meet some of your needs at BB&B! Of course, you have to be careful not to ask for too much and him say, "well good luck at the newspaper!" :p

I agree that I would take his offer for the CS position and still make yourself available any time the newspaper job calls! Good luck, Donna, it sounds like things are heading in the right direction for you!

HUGS,
Kim

BOBS DAD
01-02-2007, 08:11 PM
I agree that I would take his offer for the CS position and still make yourself available any time the newspaper job calls! Good luck, Donna, it sounds like things are heading in the right direction for you!

HUGS,
Kim

I agree Donna. But I would also defiitely keep my options open with the newspaper. If they still want some part-time work, perhaps you could write for them on somewhat limited basis until they are ready or willing to offer you full time. Good luck!!!

moosmom
01-04-2007, 07:25 AM
I called Joan yesterday as a follow-up. She said that the General Manager wanted to meet with me and would be calling.

Lo and behold, 2 hours later, he did call and I have an interview this morning at 10 a.m. Then I'm off to New Haven to pick up the remainder of my things and go to my Pheresis donation.

I'd like an answer right away, however I'd feel better if they took it under advisement and called me in a day or so.

I'll keep you posted!!!

borzoimom
01-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Sounds good- keep us posted!! ;)

DrKym
01-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Donna get dressed and get the dang Job! You and both know you have it in da bag! (they know a great thing when they see it) Call me later and let me know if they remember the outfit LOL HUGS!

:p

jackmilliesmom
01-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi Donna, just read the post fingers, toes and eyes all crossed when I am not typing or driving. Delighted things are looking up even further for you now I cannot light any more candles in the Cathederal here I am banned because the next one I light could set the place on fire LOL.... Hope it works out for you and that you can for the time being keep both on the go WHEN (plenty of positive thoughts - concentrate - concentrate!!!!!) you get this job at the paper..... Jack and Millie send lots of cuddles and licks for luck also

dukedogsmom
01-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Good luck today!

ramanth
01-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Good luck Donna!!! :D

moosmom
01-04-2007, 10:43 AM
I just got back and things went VERY well!! I felt very confident in the interview and all the questons he was firing at me. I'll hear within the next week one way or the other. Like Catnapper, I'll be sitting on pins and needles till then.

finn's mom
01-04-2007, 11:07 AM
This is exciting for you! I hope you're able to get the newspaper position! Good luck!!

gini
01-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Donna, what a nice way to start out the year on such a positive note. I am happy for you that you are on pins and needles and have a current job to boot.

Best of luck to you!

catlover4ever
01-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Donna, paws, fingers, toes and anything else that I can cross are crossed for you. Keep us posted.

jazzcat
01-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Donna, I'm just now seeing this but I want to wish you the best of luck!

ramanth
01-04-2007, 06:58 PM
I hope when you hear from them that the news is good! :D

cyber-sibes
01-04-2007, 08:54 PM
All paws crossed & prayers are on their way! ;)

Dorothy39
01-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Okay Donna, Now you have all of us on Pins and Needles!!!

Can't wait for that up date!!! Crossing our fingers and paws here too!!