PDA

View Full Version : The Book Thread

dukedogsmom
12-28-2006, 02:21 AM
I got a gift card from Wal Mart as one of my Christmas presents. I went there on my break and bought three books. Can't wait to get started on them. I thought it would be fun for us to share what we're reading and maybe even give links to the books.
I bought Caeser Milan's. I think he is so great with dogs! I love watching his show and have learned a lot. think I'm going to read that one first.
http://cesarmillan.securesites.net/product.php?cPath=24&products_id=386?zid=cb9f3bb47d1620778bb23d2daa52c2 43

The next one is Marley and Me. I've heard it's really good but also sad so I won't be reading that one at work.
http://marleyandme.com/

And the last one is From Baghdad with Love. It's about a soldier who rescues a puppy and their story from then on.
http://www.amazon.com/Baghdad-Love-Marine-Named-Lava/dp/1592289800

So, what are are reading?

Cincy'sMom
12-28-2006, 04:51 AM
I haven't read the third book you listed, but the first two are excellent choices!!

I just finsihed Laurien Bereson's latest Raining Cats and Dogs. I am now reading Janet Evanovich, Two for the Dough.

joycenalex
12-28-2006, 06:44 AM
susan conant has a series of dog world centered mysteries that i love. hard not to like stories with dogs named rowdy and kimmie.

kittycats_delight
12-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Right now I am re-reading Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott and just finished The Old Curiosity Shop By Charles Dickens.

I read mainly classics with a couple of exceptions. I am a huge fan of Anne Rice. And if there is something in particular that catches my eye by any modern author whether known to me or not I will usually give it a shot.

GreyhoundGirl
12-28-2006, 07:22 AM
I've read Marley and me. *note* if you're sensitive I would suggest not reading it before bed.

My favourite book I read rcentally was Sister to the Wolf. It was really good. I just finished LEO a greyhounds tale. It's AWEsome. Even if you're not addicted to greyhounds you'll probably like it. ( I'm so proud of my amazing book, my mom ordered it online and 15% went to greyhound rescue and I got it autographed my Cindy Victor :D :D )

On boxing day my grandma gave me a book "how to live with your neurotic dog" It's fictional, and really funny, great for laughs. It's a good one to read before bed. Here's a quote from the chapter "Sleeping routine"

"DON'T let your dog interfere with your sleep schedual. If he wakes you up often, go sleep on the couch. "

That's the only sentence I remember and I'm too lazy to go upstairs and get it. :p

finn's mom
12-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Two books I've read in the last couple of months that I beg everyone to read are by Robin Sharma. One's called "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" and the other is "Who Will Cry When You Die?." Please, please read these books, they have so much useful, necessary information and are so uplifting and empowering (they are not religious books, if you're thinking that...but, they are good for religious folks, too...they're for everyone!!). Anyway, these books speak volumes in small books. Please read them. :)

Karen
12-28-2006, 08:47 AM
I would concur with not reading Marley and Me at work - in the early chapters you might guffaw into the mike, and then have to explain things! It's not sad until far later in the book ... but it's a great book!

I'm currently reading a book called "Souled American: How Black Music Transformed White Culture ..." and so far, it's really about how inextricably linked both "sides" of the issue are. It's quite interesting.

chocolatepuppy
12-28-2006, 08:56 AM
I've read Marley and Me and loved it!I bought it to see if Marley was as bad as Lacey was as a pup. Marley wins. :D
I also read The Dog Listener and thought it was a wealth of information.
I have Chicken Soup for the Soul, the dog lovers version, and can't find time to read it. :rolleyes:
A few years back I read Miraculous Pet Recoveries, a book I got because of RB Mandy. It was very touching.
I'm not much of a book reader, but when one comes out I just have to read, I do. Right now I'm struggling to catch up with my Dog and Cat Fancy Magazines. ;)

mike001
12-28-2006, 09:06 AM
I read Ceasar Millan's book, but after seeing what happened on the tv show I don't especially favour him anymore.
I have Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, looks prety good so far.
Love to reread Jack London's "Call of the Wild"

finn's mom
12-28-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm currently reading a book called "Souled American: How Black Music Transformed White Culture ..." and so far, it's really about how inextricably linked both "sides" of the issue are. It's quite interesting.

ooo...that does sound like an intresting read!

RedHedd
12-28-2006, 10:51 AM
I received a $50 gift card for E-Books from my boss. Right now I'm reading Stephen King's "On Writing." I also downloaded Eragon and am looking forward to reading that one too. $50 means I can get a LOT of E-Books! Yippee!

Catty1
12-28-2006, 11:04 AM
I just finished "The Lynne Truss Treasury" after reading her "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" last year.

Have just started on "A Complicated Kindness" by Miriam Toews.

Reading Truss and then Toews balances British comedy with Canadian semi-autobiographical - though Toews throws in a teenage-type zinger quite frequently. This is her first novel, and won an award...it's about Nomi and her dad Ray who live on a Mennonite colony in southern Manitoba. The mom, Trudie, left two weeks after the sister, Tash, did.

Interesting look at the culture, where Nomi calls the pastor "The Mouth."

cassiesmom
12-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Somewhere on Pet Talk there is an excerpt from "From Baghdad With Love" taken from Reader's Digest. I loved the excerpt - except that it gave me the Pet Talk Leaky Eye Syndrome :( when the man and the dog get back together.

I'm reading "The Innocent Man" by John Grisham. (It is non-fiction.) So far it has given me a lot to think about, especially about crime, guilt and innocence and capital punishment. I like John Grisham's writing a lot.

Karen, I'll have to get "Souled American" - sounds very interesting!

AbbyMom
12-28-2006, 11:40 AM
I also think "Souled American" sounds interesting--I'll check it out.

Has anybody read Barack Obama's book The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream ? I plan to get it this week.

Iilo
12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm reading Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult right now.
I had to decide between it and Pride and Prejudice, which I've been putting off for a while now -- well, I guess I'll put it off more.

dukedogsmom
12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
I read Ceasar Millan's book, but after seeing what happened on the tv show I don't especially favour him anymore.
I have Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, looks prety good so far.
Love to reread Jack London's "Call of the Wild"
Can you tell me what you saw on the show that you didn't like?

Call of the Wild is a great book. It's a bit sad. I read it recently because it's considered a classic and we never read it in school.

cyber-sibes
12-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Somewhere on Pet Talk there is an excerpt from "From Baghdad With Love" taken from Reader's Digest. I loved the excerpt - except that it gave me the Pet Talk Leaky Eye Syndrome :( when the man and the dog get back together.My SIL started Reader's Digest for us for Christmas - that story was the first one I read! Very heartwarming. As far as books, I'm reading "Find and Use Your Inner Power" by Emmet Fox, a book of short one-page readings. It's thought-provoking, insightful, & uplifting.

Husky15
12-28-2006, 10:15 PM
At the moment I am reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Although, I got Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul for Christmas, so I've been reading a few stories from that. I've cried in almost every story.

cloverfdx
12-29-2006, 07:05 AM
I have just started to read Stephen Kings Dreamscapes & Dreamcatchers.

Bengalz
01-01-2007, 05:19 PM
During the latter part of 2006 I read the entire Outlander series of books written by American author Diana Gabaldon. If you're into fiction and interested in Scottish and early American History as well as time travelers, it is an amazing set of books. Well written, the cast of characters is great! I can't wait for the next book in this series :)

lisalee
01-01-2007, 05:37 PM
I love to read. At the moment I'm reading Sweet Revenge by Fern Michaels.

dab_20
01-01-2007, 06:12 PM
I've read the first two you posted about. The Cesar Millan book was really interesting. I just got done with To Kill a Mockingbird for English, and now I'm going to read A Good Dog by John Katz.

BC_MoM
01-01-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm reading two books right now.

The Dream Thief by Shana Abe (http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780553804935)
http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/covers_450/9780553804935.jpg

Eragon by Christopher Paolini (http://www.mcnallyrobinson.com/product.php?txtCatID=0&txtProdID=68572#)
http://www.mcnallyrobinson.com/img/prod/4128e333ae5b7.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what kind of writing style I enjoy - I'm just very picky and right away know a good book (to me) when I read the first page. And these two are definitely good and well written!

Zippy
01-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Right know I am reading Peace with God by Billy Graham.I am going to start the book How dog food saved the earth.

Alysser
01-01-2007, 08:36 PM
I bought From Baghdad, with love the other day. It looks great, I cannot wait to start reading it!! :D But first, I'm read Chicken Soup for the dog lover's soul its a great book.

sirrahbed
01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
I was looking for a thread like this because I always enjoy the one about movies - though I am more of a reader :)

I am currently reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" for the 2nd time and enjoying it very much. From what I have read in reviews, the historic facts are pretty accurate except for some of the license taken as a novel.

This book is the story of a small girl and her sister who were both "sold" into a life as Japanese geisha. The descriptive language is so very interesting to read. The book follows the life of Chiyo/Sayuri, the little girl. It reads as though it is an actual memoir of an old woman recounting her life to a college professor. The story spans from pre-WWII to the modern day.

Cataholic
01-29-2007, 03:22 PM
I really liked Memoirs of a Giesha!

I just finished Jane Eyre- what a fun Saturday night I had! LOL, there was a special on PBS the other night, and it made me want to re-read it. What a book! Last night, I finished this silly book called, Posh. Don't bother. It was so light that I could skip pages, and still maintain the story line.

I need some more books. I have one left from last week's trip to the 'bary, but, it isn't really grabbing me.

JenBKR
01-29-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm currently reading "Running from the Law" by Lisa Scottoline. It's a great book so far. I love thrillers and mysteries, inspirational, and psychology books best. I happened to be at the bookstore last night and discovered that the show "Monk" is now in books :D so of course I had to buy one. Can't wait to read that, I love that show!

Blue_Frog
01-29-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm partly through an anthology of short stories by Neil Gaiman :)

Bengalz -- I just finished reading the Outlander series too :D

wolflady
01-29-2007, 03:56 PM
"Souled American" certainly sounds like a book one of my dear friends would love to read! I'll be sure to look for it next time I'm at the bookstore.

It's hard for me to go into a bookstore and not come out with at least 1 (if not more) books. I actually have several waiting to be read at the moment as I've gone on a book shopping spree over the past couple of weeks. :o

I recently discovered Kelley Armstrong and her woman of the otherworld series. I picked up Dime Store Magic and read through it in just a matter of days. I loved it! I immediately went back to pick up her book Bitten, which is actually first in the series, although a different character than the one featured in Dime Store. I can't wait to start reading it. I'll more than likely pick up the remaining books in this series next time I go to the bookstore.

Currently, at work I keep things light and am reading "Out of the Madhouse", which is the first book in Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Gatekeeper Trilogy.
I'm almost done with it, so will have to pick a new book for work soon.

I always read before bed, and I'm right in the middle of The Trouble with Witches by Shirley Damsgaard.
http://www.harpercollins.com/harperimages/isbn/small/6/9780060793586.jpg
I found her books a little over a year ago, and enjoyed them. I read the first two in this series and was pleasantly surprised to see a 3rd book had come out last time I was at the bookstore, so I picked it up and have been reading it before bed. I'll probably finish before this week is out, and will probably start on Bitten.

animal_rescue
01-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Right now I'm reading "Finders Keepers"
I'm halfway through it and its really good!
I can't really explain things very well so here's the link for you to check out yourselves.

Setting out on the "vacation of a lifetime" Marissa Chabot is well-provisioned with sunblock, rum and a stack of good books. Being one of the founders of Finders Keepers, the successful, high-tech "soul-mate matching service," she knows that vacation romances are hopeless.

When Linda Bartok—tall, dark and beautiful—sweeps her off her feet anyway, Marissa yields to the magic of a storybook rescue, moonlit walks on the beach and longed-for whispers of passion. Though it hardly seems possible that the Amazonian, adventurous Linda could be truly interested in a desk-bound computer geek, the most erotic encounters of Marissa's life complete her surrender.

Vacations end. Real life resumes. Waiting for the phone to ring, Marissa wonders if what she had seen in Linda's eyes could have possibly been true. Was it just a vacation romance? Or was she going to end up losers weepers?

Karin Kallmaker books (http://www.kallmaker.com/)

Cataholic
01-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Am I the only one that uses the public library? LOL...if I bought half the books I read, I would be broke! And, the half price shops are a true bargain, but, it is often hard to find newer material there.

wolflady
01-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Am I the only one that uses the public library? LOL...if I bought half the books I read, I would be broke! And, the half price shops are a true bargain, but, it is often hard to find newer material there.

LOL LOL Good point! It's been so long since I've been to a library...I really should find one nearby and start going because you're right...I spend way to much $$ on books, and they're starting to take over the house! *snicker*

Half Price Books is a dangerous place to go, but definitely a bargain. I try to limit my trips there since I end up buying a basket full of books everytime I go. Luckily the closest HPB is about 30 - 40 minutes away, so I have to actually plan to go there. *sigh* I have found lots of new material at that HPB, but they could be different everywhere you go. I just picked up Morrigan's Cross last time I went, and that's a relatively new book. :)

**hugs**

sirrahbed
01-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I use the public library often. Whenever I notice a new book on sale while I am grocery shopping at Kroger, I come home and reserve it at the online library site. I usually have it within the week :) If it is not available at our county library, I make an interlibrary loan request and there has never been a book that the library has not been able to locate for me. The public library is an invaluable resource!!

I often buy copies of books that I really like and want to read again - my favorite place to look is half.com

As for libraries - I LOVE going to the public library also - it has been a haven for me since I was a young girl. I love the smells, the sounds and the atmosphere :D

buckner
01-30-2007, 12:14 PM
I haven't read the third book you listed, but the first two are excellent choices!!

I just finsihed Laurien Bereson's latest Raining Cats and Dogs. I am now reading Janet Evanovich, Two for the Dough.
I LOVE Janet Evanovich. I think she's a fabulous writer, and I love the Stephanie Plum series.

Right now, I'm only reading for classes. Currently, it's "Oral History" by Lee Smith, along with textbooks. I started reading "Running With Scissors" but I didn't have time.

elizabethann
01-30-2007, 12:19 PM
I go to the library once per week but I still buy books. The bookstore is like a drug for me. I can't walk past it without going inside. And once I'm inside I have to buy a book. I have books all over the place waiting to be read.

I love books so much, I'd marry them if they asked me. :eek: I especially love the smell of books. MMMMMM...good!

That said, Marley & Me was an awesome book. I am reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven. Easy read and good so far.

Did anybody read The Plague Dogs? I read about it on Dogster. It's by the author of Watership Down (which I loved). I think it's not the best book for all ages (it deals with dogs escaping from a science lab).

I haven't read it yet but will begin it shortly.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-30-2007, 01:56 PM
I am currently reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" for the 2nd time and enjoying it very much. From what I have read in reviews, the historic facts are pretty accurate except for some of the license taken as a novel.

This book is the story of a small girl and her sister who were both "sold" into a life as Japanese geisha. The descriptive language is so very interesting to read. The book follows the life of Chiyo/Sayuri, the little girl. It reads as though it is an actual memoir of an old woman recounting her life to a college professor. The story spans from pre-WWII to the modern day.
I read this book recently and I loved it, too! I was sad when it was over!

I'm not really reading anything right at the moment, but I'm going to start Pride and Prejudice tonight.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Did anybody read The Plague Dogs? I read about it on Dogster. It's by the author of Watership Down (which I loved). I think it's not the best book for all ages (it deals with dogs escaping from a science lab).

I haven't read it yet but will begin it shortly.
I read it years ago...I think I liked it but I don't remember it too well. If I remember right, it is sad but there is also a lot of humor in the book.

Suki Wingy
01-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Blood and Chocolate- I 1/2 way through, want to finnish before I see the movie.
Mirror Mirror- the last by Gregory Maguire for me to read (besides Lost)
Some other vampire book (checked out, haven't started readingit. It is black with someone holding an apple on the cover.

Randi
07-27-2009, 01:12 PM
I have read some light books recently (Sue Grafton and Sophie Kinsella), which I really enjoy at bedtime. But I have finally digged out some of John's old books and is now reading "Surely, you're joking, Mr. Feynman", by Richard Feynman. It's really very good, you should check it out!

RICHARD
07-27-2009, 06:48 PM
I have read some light books recently (Sue Grafton and Sophie Kinsella), which I really enjoy at bedtime. But I have finally digged out some of John's old books and is now reading "Surely, you're joking, Mr. Feynman", by Richard Feynman. It's really very good, you should check it out!

Feynman is my HERO!

I hope you have "What Do You Care What Other People Think?". It is the follow up to SYJ!

He was a character and real smart dude!:D

cassiesmom
07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I would love to read "Memoirs of a Geisha". I'd also like to read "The Great Gatsby" again. Read it in high school and again in college because it was assigned - I'd like to read it again, just because. I just finished "The Last Juror" by John Grisham, which I got at Half Price Books :)

I also have a book on diagnosis and treatment for autism spectrum disorders that I need to read for work. Part of my job involves reviewing rehabilitation therapy services for medical appropriateness, and I need to learn more about autism, especially about treatments.

Randi
07-28-2009, 03:02 AM
How odd... you and John liking the same author!! :eek: :D

I have not come across "What Do You Care What Other People Think", but there are some Science books - guess they are a bit heavy for me to read. ;)

Catherinedana
07-28-2009, 07:07 AM
The bookstore is like a drug for me. I can't walk past it without going inside. And once I'm inside I have to buy a book. I have books all over the place waiting to be read.

I love books so much, I'd marry them if they asked me. :eek: I especially love the smell of books. MMMMMM...good!.

Nice to hear that there is another bookaholic out there. I sniff my books too :D I especially love the smell of shiny papered coffee table books. It's heaven!

I read the Plague Dogs some time ago and I really enjoyed it. Very much along the lines of Watership Down. There was an animated movie made of it that ended horribly - I was aghast! :eek: Book's ending was much better.

Right now I'm reading Isabel Allende's "Paula". It is excellent!

I'm a bit compulsive about my reading and keep lists of the books I would like to read, the books I would like to own if I don't have them already AND the books I have read. I'm nuts! :D

pomtzu
07-28-2009, 09:44 AM
I haven't started it yet, but I bought Adrift, by Steven Callahan to read on the train when I go on vacation. His story was featured on National Geographic Explorer - an account of 76 days lost at sea in an inflatable raft after his small sloop capsized just 6 days from port.
I love true adventure stories.

Alysser
07-28-2009, 09:48 AM
I haven't read a hobby book for awhile, but right now for summer reading ( :rolleyes: ) I'm reading "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time". I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, it's a rather odd story. :/

Killearn Kitties
07-28-2009, 10:21 AM
I haven't read a hobby book for awhile, but right now for summer reading ( :rolleyes: ) I'm reading "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time". I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, it's a rather odd story. :/

I had that as a talking book and I used to listen to it in the car on the way to work. I found the story absolutely gripping, but I was exhausted by the time I got to work some days!

RICHARD
07-28-2009, 11:10 AM
I haven't started it yet, but I bought Adrift, by Steven Callahan to read on the train when I go on vacation. His story was featured on National Geographic Explorer - an account of 76 days lost at sea in an inflatable raft after his small sloop capsized just 6 days from port.
I love true adventure stories.

DUDE, That was a great book. I had to stop reading it every so often to try and figure out what I would do, This guy showed great smarts during his ordeal.

That book is one reason that I make sure all my "emergency" stuff is in order.:eek:

-------------

Check into any Mt Everest story if you like adventure and drama.

They are even more interesting in the early days of climbing-now the equipment is a zillion times better that what the had back then!:eek:

Grace
07-28-2009, 11:39 AM
The bookstore is like a drug for me. I can't walk past it without going inside. And once I'm inside I have to buy a book. I have books all over the place waiting to be read.

I love books so much, I'd marry them if they asked me. :eek: I especially love the smell of books. MMMMMM...good!

That’s how I am, also. I do go to the library on occasion, but I want to read a book when I choose, not when they tell me I can have it for these 2 weeks. Books are my one luxury - I have a stack of books waiting to be read, and pretty much add to it weekly.

I normally prefer non-fiction, but over the past few months have read some amazing works of fiction.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

Synopsis:
January 1946: writer Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a stranger, a founding member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And so begins a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German occupation, and of a society as extraordinary as its name.

Beach Trip by Cathy Holton

I read her first two books. This third is different, but just as good. Four college roommates, getting together on an island off the Carolina coast 23 years later.

The Help
by Kathryn Stockett

This is her first book, and it is wonderful. Set in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 1960s – just when the Civil Rights movement was gearing up.

I really had great difficulty putting any of these books down.

Catherinedana
07-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Are any of you readers out there fans of Shirley Jackson? Most people just know her from the short story "The Lottery" that they had to read in school, but she has written some fabulous novels and short stories besides that. If you love strangeness with a little chill of supernatural read either, "The Haunting of Hill House", "The Sundial", or "We Have Always Lived in the Castle".

"Raising Demons" and "Life Among the Savages" are two books that are based on her family life with 5 children, many cats and one large dopey dog. They are hilarious and guaranteed a LOL experience. I can't say enough about her writing.

Cathy

RICHARD
07-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Yeager-Chuck Yeager's biography is a rocking good read. That man was blessed with luck and timing!

The Climb- This was written by A Boukreev as another "view" to the '96 Everst tragedy. Boukreev took a lot of heat for his part in the tragedy-John Krakauer wrote "Into Thin Air" about the same subject.

Both good books.

If you want to read another climbing book that will make you stop and think?

Touching the Void-Yates and Simpson. The PBS documentary was brutal.
This would be a great Hollywood movie...

Randi
11-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Feynman is my HERO!

He was a character and real smart dude!:D
Indeed he was!! Unfortunately, I haven't got the one you mentioned, but I'll ask at the library. :)

I've just finished reading the first Stieg Larsson book, I believe the title has been translated to "Millenium" I can really recommend it!! Oh, the joy of going to read the next two. :)

I brought a list of titles the library recently and got a few of them. One is "Dewey, the library cat". Another is "The art of racing in the rain". Now, I can't decide which of them to start on.

finn's mom
11-30-2010, 05:15 AM
I just started the Harry Potter series this month, and am in the middle of the fourth book, now. I love them. The third one (Prisoner of Azkaban) is my favorite so far. I've kept up with the movies, including the seventh and most recent one, but didn't want to read the books until all the films were released. I'm not sure exactly what prompted me to start them now, but I'm glad I did. :)

ChrisH
11-30-2010, 07:10 AM
I've just finished reading the first Stieg Larsson book, I believe the title has been translated to "Millenium" I can really recommend it!! Oh, the joy of going to read the next two. :)
Randi, I love the Stieg Larsson books. I've read the first two, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl who Played with Fire but have yet to read the last one, The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest. I plan to look and see if it available at a reasonable price as an e-book. (Bought myself an Amazon Kindle as an early Christmas gift :D)

Vette
11-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Can anyone tell me how their e-reader device does in rural areas?

as our cheap track phones signal doesnt pick up here in the house so im rather curious as to how a Kindle or whatever would do out here.

Lilith Cherry
11-30-2010, 11:22 PM
I live out in the sticks where cell phone reception is often dreadful but I have absolutely no problem using my Kindle to download and read ebook:Ds.

ChrisH
12-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Don't know how it works in the States but here in the UK you can use wireless connection or/and the computer wi-fi. Failing that you can connect the Kindle to the computer & download that way.

I got mine today and am just loving it. :D Among the works I downloaded were the complete Shakespeare collection and The Illiad, both of which I would never have bought in book form, and best of all were completely free!

cassiesmom
06-27-2011, 06:08 PM
"In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson (he also wrote "Devil in the White City") The inner flap refers to his writing as "narrative non-fiction". It's non-fiction, but I think it's written in a way that makes one want to keep reading.

My mom read "The Help" for her book club, and she really liked it -- I asked her to let me read it before she returned it to the library. But my dad took it back, so now I'm on a waiting list for it.

Edwina's Secretary
06-27-2011, 06:23 PM
"In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson (he also wrote "Devil in the White City") The inner flap refers to his writing as "narrative non-fiction". It's non-fiction, but I think it's written in a way that makes one want to keep reading.

My mom read "The Help" for her book club, and she really liked it -- I asked her to let me read it before she returned it to the library. But my dad took it back, so now I'm on a waiting list for it.

I read "In the Garden of Beast" over the weekend. Could NOT put it down. It is on the best seller list as non-fiction. My book club did "The Help" last year - great book.

We are doing "George, Nicholas and Wilhelm" this week. Another really great read.

Vette
06-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Don't know how it works in the States but here in the UK you can use wireless connection or/and the computer wi-fi. Failing that you can connect the Kindle to the computer & download that way.

I got mine today and am just loving it. :D Among the works I downloaded were the complete Shakespeare collection and The Illiad, both of which I would never have bought in book form, and best of all were completely free!

Woot! thank you for the info. i didnt know it could be done by computer also. now im not iffy about getting one in the future if a time presents itself.

yep you cant beat free thats for sure :D

this what im reading: Wolf Legend - A Werewolf Novel (http://sugarpoultry.deviantart.com/gallery/1616937) though the PDFs (http://www.werewolfhaven.net/novel.php) are easier to read but her dA page is more up to date.

its not technically a book but oh well,, thought id post it anywho

carole
06-29-2011, 11:57 PM
I just noticed that someone mentioned a kindle e reader, my son is thinking of buying one from the states for me,are they really good, i am not sure i want to stop buying books, i kind of love having them, but the e reader makes sense, would be good for my arthritic hands not to have to hold a heavy book,and my eyesight is not the greatest ,need new glasses, so i gather you can make the text bigger, opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

Just finished homecoming by cathy kelly, enjoy her books,and now reading Mercy by jussi Adler-olsen, won this book and so far it is quite good ,different to what i normally read but good all the same.

Next book is Angelina Jolie's authorised autobiography by Andrew Norton, won this book also , will make interesting reading i think.

Bengalz
06-30-2011, 12:58 AM
I recently read the entire Evergreen series in memory of Belva Plain - including her last book Heartwood. I had forgotten what a wonderful storyteller she was :)

Now I'm into Land of Painted Caves, Jane Auel - amazing detail, amazing research. I haven't read her books for several years and hope to pick up copies of Plains of Passage and Stone Shelters in Portland later this summer - missed those two in the series:) Auel writes about an incredible civilization in pre-historic Europe during the Ice Age - her characters are so advanced in so many ways - a lot to learn about leadership and managing relationships among co-habiting peoples. The series is named Earth's Children.

Some others read over the past months include: My Secret Daughter (forgot author name:confused:); and if you like Susanna Kearsley - The Rose Garden is excellent! I have read most of Kearsley's books and really enjoy the historical aspect of her stories.

Has anyone read Americans in Paris ... I'm curious ?

Scooter's Mom
06-30-2011, 04:58 AM
I just noticed that someone mentioned a kindle e reader, my son is thinking of buying one from the states for me,are they really good, i am not sure i want to stop buying books, i kind of love having them, but the e reader makes sense, would be good for my arthritic hands not to have to hold a heavy book,and my eyesight is not the greatest ,need new glasses, so i gather you can make the text bigger, opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

I didn't think I'd like a kindle. I love BOOKS. (I have them all over my house, lol!) I love the feel of a book in my hand. I love the way an old book smells... I remember reading the Nancy Drew books from the library as a kid and how they smelled... it's such a unique smell.

However, I got a kindle for my birthday last week. I am LOVING IT. I have read 5 books already. I tuck it into my bag and read the 20 minutes before I start work. I read at lunchtime. I read while I wait for hubby to pick me up after work. I am amazed at how crisp the lettering is on the "page". I don't know what took me so long to get one of these.

carole
06-30-2011, 05:42 AM
ok i think you have me convinced already, just the price tag is a bit hefty straight up, as i usually buy most of my books second hand,but i think it would well pay for itself in the end, i think it will be gift to me though as i sure cannot afford one.

Scooter's Mom
06-30-2011, 07:21 AM
I debated a long time. But hubby insisted I actually GET a birthday gift this year since I usually do not. I got the one "with special offers" so it was about $25 less than the regular one. I'm not seeing any intrusiveness with the ads, so that was money well saved.

phesina
06-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Randi, I love the Stieg Larsson books. I've read the first two, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl who Played with Fire but have yet to read the last one, The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest. I plan to look and see if it available at a reasonable price as an e-book. (Bought myself an Amazon Kindle as an early Christmas gift :D)

I've been reading lots of Scandinavian mysteries lately! Henning Mankell for one.. he has many books out there.

carole
06-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Yes i love stieg larsson books, saw all the movies too,also have not read the first or last book, but won the second one, and really enjoyed it, i read them after seeing the movies, am looking forward to seeing the america version of the movie, Mercy the book i am reading at the moment is Scandinavian crime mystery, so far it is ok, but i think it will get better.

phesina
06-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Which Scandinavian crime mystery are you reading now, Carole?

carole
06-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Pat it is called MERCY by Jussi Adler-Olsen, so far not exciting, but i think it will get that way only on page 63 of a 504 page book , so long way to go yet.:)

phesina
07-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Thanks, Carole. I will watch for that one. I haven't seen books by Jussi Adler-Olsen here yet, but I will check at the mystery bookstore and the library.

I just finished reading "The Black Path" and before that "The Blood Spilt," both by Asa Larsson of Sweden. (The first A of Asa has a little circle over it, but I can't do that with my keyboard.)

carole
07-01-2011, 06:20 AM
is the writer related to stieg then? they both sound good books,what did you think of them, off to bed now to have a read before sleep.:)

Randi
07-01-2011, 06:40 AM
Of Scandinavian writers, this couple is worth mentioning:
http://www.scandinavianbooks.com/crime-book/swedish-author/sjowall-wahloo.html

ChrisH
07-01-2011, 06:51 AM
I've just begun reading 'The Ode Less Travelled' by Stephen Fry.

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Ode_Less_Travelled.html?id=uOKa9poDqwcC

phesina
07-01-2011, 07:45 AM

Thank you, Randi. I've read some of their books. In fact, that reminds me I've been meaning to get to the next one "The Man on the Balcony," I think it's called. They're very good!

phesina
07-01-2011, 07:47 AM
is the writer related to stieg then? they both sound good books,what did you think of them, off to bed now to have a read before sleep.:)

I don't know if she's related to Stieg. I think Larsson is a pretty common name in Sweden. The books were quite gripping if very grim. Psychological mysteries sort of on the line of Ruth Rendell if you've read any of her books. VERY creepy, too!

Vette
07-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Also guys dont forget theres more than just the Kindle. theres the Nook (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/features/index.asp); Sony (http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&categoryId=8198552921644523779&SR=nav:shop:mp3_portable_elec:portable_reader:ss); Kobo (http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_ereaders); iPod (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/ibooks.html)
those are just the ones i know of.

decisions decisions decisions LOL

boomersooner
07-01-2011, 08:20 PM
If you haven't read The Help, it is wonderful.....They have made a movie from it which is due to come out in August. Also, Jeanette Walls ( I think that is her name) has written a couple of books which are great....The Glass Castle is the story of her life with her loving but irresponsible parents, and Half Broke Horses is the story of her grandmother's life on a ranch. Both are very, very good.

carole
07-01-2011, 09:04 PM
wel it appears my son wants to buy me an e reader for my birthday, which is not until december, but hey he can get it for me anytime, i won't be complaining, apparently he wants to buy a kindle from amazon, his partners sister has one and loves it.

cassiesmom
07-02-2011, 12:43 PM
I read "In the Garden of Beast" over the weekend. Could NOT put it down. It is on the best seller list as non-fiction. My book club did "The Help" last year - great book.

I'm having a hard time putting it down! It's a fascinating, compelling story. The ambassador was on alert but others high up in the State Department couldn't or didn't want to hear it.

My mom took out from the library a book of poetry compiled by Caroline Kennedy. I am looking forward to reading it.

phesina
07-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Pat it is called MERCY by Jussi Adler-Olsen, so far not exciting, but i think it will get that way only on page 63 of a 504 page book , so long way to go yet.:)

The library doesn't have it, and the mystery bookstore owner had never heard of it or the author (right away she asked me "Is it Scandinavian?"). Today I found it on amazon.com, so I ordered it. It's coming from the U.K. and might take more than a month to get here!

carole
07-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Oh dear if you wanted it i am sure if you paid for postage once i have read it i could have sent it to you, as long as you were not in a hurry , as i only read a little at night before bed,mind you quite a big book, might cost more to post than to buy it off amazon.

ChrisH
07-04-2011, 05:33 AM
Thanks Randi.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/thumbsup3.gif I just bought the Kindle edition of Roseanna (First of the Martin Beck series), a bargain at 99p.

phesina
07-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Oh dear if you wanted it i am sure if you paid for postage once i have read it i could have sent it to you, as long as you were not in a hurry , as i only read a little at night before bed,mind you quite a big book, might cost more to post than to buy it off amazon.

Oh, thank you, Carole. I'm sure the postage from New Zealand would be quite a bit. Amazon isn't costing very much. The postage is still $3.98 (their usual postage charge) even for this one coming from the U.K.

Lilith Cherry
07-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Carole the Kindle is amazing! My son gave me mine and it is such a blessing as I have failing eyesight from Diabetic retinopathy. I can make the print big enough to see more easily and the page is crisp and easy to read from with no glare so it is easy on one's eyes. You can get many books for 99c and sometimes even free from amazon which is good as I am a prolific reader. Also it will let you upload books from the free internet libraries like Gutenberg press. I say go for it and enjoy! I have hundreds of books I can no longer see to read which makes me sad but this is a great substitute.:)

Grace
07-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Recently finished two non-fiction -

Superbug: The Fatal Menace of MRSA by Maryn McKenna

Our Daily Meds: How the Pharmaceutical Companies Transformed Themselves into Slick Marketing Machines and Hooked the Nation on Prescription Drugs by Melody Petersen.

I will never look at drug advertising again without remembering what I read.

Vette
07-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Finished this a couple days ago: To the Gates of Aion (http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showthread.php?t=36250). i seen that drawing an was instantly intrigued. the drawing is of an Asmodian man an Eloys woman. a very odd couple in the eyes of many due to both races thinking the other race is evil an such.

not technically a book again but ho well :D

cassiesmom
07-06-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm having a hard time putting it down! It's a fascinating, compelling story. The ambassador was on alert but others high up in the State Department couldn't or didn't want to hear it.

My mom took out from the library a book of poetry compiled by Caroline Kennedy. I am looking forward to reading it.

Update... I finished "In the Garden of Beasts". Publishers Weekly used the word "mesmerizing" in their review and it certainly is. The ambassador was sending warning after warning and the people on this side of the Atlantic Ocean couldn't or didn't heed them.

Our Daily Meds: How the Pharmaceutical Companies Transformed Themselves into Slick Marketing Machines and Hooked the Nation on Prescription Drugs by Melody Petersen.

Holy buckets! I must get this!

phesina
07-10-2011, 01:22 PM
The library doesn't have it, and the mystery bookstore owner had never heard of it or the author (right away she asked me "Is it Scandinavian?"). Today I found it on amazon.com, so I ordered it. It's coming from the U.K. and might take more than a month to get here!

My copy of "Mercy" arrived yesterday from Manchester, England! So much for taking more than a month to get here.

carole
07-10-2011, 05:41 PM
WOW that is what i call service, i am getting through the book slowly, enjoying it,there a bits in it that bore me a little, but i think it will get exciting,here's hoping, be interested to see what you think? happy reading.:)

phesina
07-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I've just started reading it. I'll keep you posted, Carole.

Cost me $8.43.. postage and all!

carole
07-10-2011, 06:49 PM
that is dirt cheap, i could not even buy that second hand at that price, i won mine so all good, but be at least over 30.00 here,you will probably finish it before me, i only read a few pages every night before bed, it starts off a bit slow, but gets better enjoy.

Grace
07-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Jut finished Deadly Indifference: The Perfect (Political) Storm: Hurricane Katrina, the Bush White House, and Beyond by Michael D. Brown and Ted Schwarz.

Very interesting.

happylabs
07-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Carole the Kindle is amazing! My son gave me mine and it is such a blessing as I have failing eyesight from Diabetic retinopathy. I can make the print big enough to see more easily and the page is crisp and easy to read from with no glare so it is easy on one's eyes. You can get many books for 99c and sometimes even free from amazon which is good as I am a prolific reader. Also it will let you upload books from the free internet libraries like Gutenberg press. I say go for it and enjoy! I have hundreds of books I can no longer see to read which makes me sad but this is a great substitute.:)

I love my Kindle! I got mine in May after my rotator cuff surgery because I wasn't able to do much for a few weeks and I was going mad with boredom.

Right now I am reading "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard. I cannot believe what this gal went through at such a tender age and came out a survivor even after being held by those monsters for 18 years. Her book is an inspiration to me.

carole
07-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks for that, i am getting keener by the minute to get my kindle.:)

Grace
07-16-2011, 07:15 PM
For all the hockey fans -

SAVING FACE, The Art and History of the Goalie Mask.

Jim Hynes and Gary Smith

The pictures alone are worth the cost of the book.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmwxJ6ye3ukmo6CGWeZV5AwhKKBiYgq aKpJUX_KxNp1wTS0AA2

phesina
07-17-2011, 09:29 AM
that is dirt cheap, i could not even buy that second hand at that price, i won mine so all good, but be at least over 30.00 here,you will probably finish it before me, i only read a few pages every night before bed, it starts off a bit slow, but gets better enjoy.

I'm bout half through "Mercy" now. Wow.. I cannot even begin to imagine being in Merete's situation and how utterly horrible that would be.

pomtzu
07-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Almost finished with North by Northwestern by Sig Hansen, captain of the Northwestern fishing vessel, that fishes for crab in the Bering Sea. It's a true story of how his Norwegian ancestors came to the U.S. and embarked on jobs in the fishing industry, and of how he and his 2 brothers inherited the Northwestern from their father. Lots of adventure stories, past and present. Interesting reading, especially if you're even somewhat interested in the t.v. series that he is featured in - Deadliest Catch.

pomtzu
07-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Right now I am reading "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard. I cannot believe what this gal went through at such a tender age and came out a survivor even after being held by those monsters for 18 years. Her book is an inspiration to me.

You might also enjoy Bringing Elizabeth Home - Elizabeth Smart story as written by her parents Ed and Lois Smart. I read it when it first came out in 2003, and I think since then that Elizabeth has also written a book about her ordeal.

cassiesmom
07-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Recently finished two non-fiction -

I ordered "Our Daily Meds" from Amazon and it arrived today.

My mom's book club read "Not Without My Daughter" by Betty Mahmoody. It's about an American woman who travels to Iran with her (Iranian, American educated) husband and their daughter. She thinks it is a 2-week "visit" but they end up being there over a year. Her husband will permit her to leave but insists that their daughter must remain in Iran. The story is what she does about that.

boomersooner
07-18-2011, 09:39 PM
I just finished reading Moloka'i by Alan Brennert. It a historical fiction account of the life of Rachel, a woman who spent most of her life on the island because of leprosy. How heartbreaking to be 7 years old and taken away from the only life and family you've ever known. These people were sent to Moloka'i to die, but they learned to live, the best they could. It is a very good read. Very interesting. It takes place from 1891 (after Father Damien) until 1970.

pomtzu
07-19-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm looking for a book, if anyone can help.......

Hitler's Ovens by Olga Lengyel. It's a true story of her experience in Auschwitz, written when she was finally free. I read it in h.s. and did a report on it - "man's inhumanity to man" - and would like to read it again. It's mesmerizing, yet very sobering. The book is no longer in print (except in Spanish), but I did find a few used ones on Amazon. However, I refuse to pay a minimum of $30 plus shipping, for a beat up, 60+ year old, paperback.

If anyone has this book, or knows of anyone who does and wants to sell it at a reasonable price, (or even lend it), please PM me. Thanks !

happylabs
07-19-2011, 07:16 AM
You might also enjoy Bringing Elizabeth Home - Elizabeth Smart story as written by her parents Ed and Lois Smart. I read it when it first came out in 2003, and I think since then that Elizabeth has also written a book about her ordeal.

Thanks for that suggestion. I would like to read that.

ChrisH
07-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Try buying it from overseas Amazon. UK Amazon have it used for £6 (somewhere around $10) and shipping costs should add about the same, or maybe less. Just an idea.

pomtzu
07-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Try buying it from overseas Amazon. UK Amazon have it used for £6 (somewhere around $10) and shipping costs should add about the same, or maybe less. Just an idea.

Thanks for the info - I'll check it out.

Still looking for something in the states too, if anyone knows of it being available.

ETA:
I found the book under it's original name of Five Chimneys. Amazon has lots of them available under that name. Don't know why they don't cross reference it on the website, as I imagine others could be wanting this book also.

Suki Wingy
07-19-2011, 11:42 PM
I am reading The Great Gatsby because it was on my list of classic American literature I wanted to read but never had to do for school.

I'm also reading Raise High The Roof Beams Carpenter and Seymour An Introduction. I loved the first half, having trouble getting through Buddy's narration in Seymour An Introduction. I really do love J.D. Salinger though.

caseysmom
07-19-2011, 11:50 PM
I love my Kindle! I got mine in May after my rotator cuff surgery because I wasn't able to do much for a few weeks and I was going mad with boredom.

I just started reading this, I had to put it down a few times it made me so upset and angry.

happylabs
07-20-2011, 09:38 AM
I just started reading this, I had to put it down a few times it made me so upset and angry.

Since I saw the hour long special on TV I pretty much knew what to expect. She was just so brave.

carole
07-20-2011, 03:53 PM
I saw Jaycee being interviewed on 60 minutes, she is an inspiration to everyone, what that sadistic monster put her through just makes me feel sick to the stomach, and i have not read the book, but would like to,mind you i think it would haunt me thinking about it all.

She is one hellava brave young woman, to come out of this and still be normal, i am sure she has lots to deal with in her daily life, because of that creep,but isn't she amazing.

happylabs
07-20-2011, 06:44 PM
I saw Jaycee being interviewed on 60 minutes, she is an inspiration to everyone, what that sadistic monster put her through just makes me feel sick to the stomach, and i have not read the book, but would like to,mind you i think it would haunt me thinking about it all.

She is one hellava brave young woman, to come out of this and still be normal, i am sure she has lots to deal with in her daily life, because of that creep,but isn't she amazing.

I thought maybe it would bother me after reading the book but I think seeing her and reading how well she is doing has helped and also knowing that those 2 monsters are in jail for the rest of their lives.

Grace
07-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Just finished Cleo, The Cat Who Mended a Family by Helen Brown. Loved it. True story.

I wonder if Carole has already read it, as it took place in New Zealand, starting in the mid-eighties?

carole
07-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Yes Yes GRACE i have read it, in fact my sister gave it to me for my birthday a few years back, and it ignited my passion for reading again, and i have not stopped since, it is a lovely story and highly recommend it to anyone.:)

Grace
08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Another day, another book. The weather is disgusting - hot and humid day after day. So I sit in my air conditioned house and read.

Summer in the South by Cathy Holton. While not normally a fiction reader, I have read all of her books. This one grabbed me from the beginning, but the ending was not what I expected. It was darker, and left me with lots of wondering about what would happen next.

Grace
08-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the Small-Town Library Cat Who Inspired Millions by Vicki Myron.

A couple more Dewey stories, and some others the author heard about after the Dewey book was published. Not a quick a read as the first, but interesting.

Grace
08-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Looks like I'm the only one reading :)

Just finished Gary Jobson: An American Sailing Story by Gary Jobson.

My brother, who almost never reads, recommended this to me. Gary Jobson has been a sailor all his life. He was the tactician on Courageous - winner of the 1977 America's Cup, skippered by Ted Turner.

I enjoyed this - interesting adventures and wonderful pictures. For those of us with a bit of salt water in our veins.

phesina
08-14-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm still reading Scandinavian noir (?), mysteries and other weird stuff, even if I haven't checked in. I finished Mercy, which Carole tipped me off on, and thank you!

Then I read Redbreast by Jo Nesbo, a Norwegian mystery to do with past- and present-day Nazi and other fascist activity in Norway. This was especially relevant after the recent Norwegian bombing and shootings.

In fact, Jo Nesbo had a commentary in the New York Times about that a couple of weeks ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/opinion/27nesbo.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha212, saying essentially that Norway will never be the same again.

Then I re-read maybe the first Scandinavian-set mystery I'd ever come across, Death in a Cold Climate by Robert Barnard, who is actually British and at the time was Professor of English at the University of Tromso in northern Norway, which is where the story takes place.

Now I'm re-reading Smilla's Sense of Snow, which I read long ago when it was first out and popular. Since I don't remember any of the details from then, I'm finding it very well written.!

Aside from being a very intriguing mystery, this book is filling in for me some of the history of just what the relationship between Denmark and Greenland is, about which I don't know anything.

tokolosh
08-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Looks like I'm the only one reading :)

That will never be, while I'm alive :) I never seem to be reading anything other people have ever heard of so anything I say about 'my' books is a monologue. However. . .

I'm reading A Fairly Honourable Defeat, by Iris Murdoch, not at all for the first time. Really like it. I like everything Murdoch - well, almost everything. Her very first and very last weren't quite 'there' for me. And I think I must have them all, somewhere around here. She was so incomprehensible and so heartless to her characters, and completely without pity. I find her comforting :D No matter how drab and awful and senseless your own life may seem, so long as you have Iris Murdoch at hand you never have to feel like this is the worst that could ever happen to you. Being one of her characters is the worst it can get on this earth, as far as purely mental torment goes.

She put them through such contortions. Always smiting them with sudden uncontrollable love for completely unsuitable people, messing around with their heads, trashing their lives . . . but she did write a few that were kind, in spite of all the turmoil. This one is one of them. It has what is probably the first gay couple I ever encountered in it, and I still think they're the only really believable, 'relate-to'-able gay relationship I've ever found in a book. It should probably be on reading lists for that reason alone.

Catty1
08-14-2011, 09:28 PM
I read book one of the Stieg Larssen trilogy...and couldn't wait to read the other two!

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

There were supposed to be 10 of these books. Sadly, Larssen died shortly after handing the first three in to his publisher. He died of a heart attack at age 50.

Half of the fourth one is still in his computer; you can read about the legal situation holding this up if you look him up on Wikipedia and other sites.

tokolosh
08-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Are any of you readers out there fans of Shirley Jackson? . . . "Raising Demons" and "Life Among the Savages" are two books that are based on her family life with 5 children, many cats and one large dopey dog. They are hilarious and guaranteed a LOL experience. I can't say enough about her writing.

I have a couple of those . . . still . . . I hope. I have so many books around here I can't even find many I fully recall buying and seeing around. And I know I bought at least one of those. Very very VERY funny. My kid still says 'please don't [verb] the [his name]' now and then in honour of Sally.

Very funny but kind of chilling. I don't mean in the same sense as her fiction, which I've never got into as I just don't understand fear as a recreational activity ;). Is it just that I know what happened to her, or is there something just slightly . . . off about at least two of those kids?

Roxyluvsme13
08-14-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm going to start reading Anatomy and Physiology of Farm Animals here in the next few days... yay college? :p

Sowa
08-14-2011, 10:35 PM
I've been reading a series by George R.R. Martin "A Song of Ice and Fire" I read the first one "A Game of Thrones" and am now on the second. I loved the first one. They made it into a TV show which I also enjoyed.

I also plan to read Cesar Millan's book soon. I'm in the process of watching all his shows. I think he's an amazing person.

cassiesmom
08-15-2011, 04:28 PM
I just started "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.

I can't fathom such deep racial divisions but my mom definitely can. I'd say I've had a pretty sheltered life.

Grace
08-15-2011, 05:24 PM
I just started "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.

I can't fathom such deep racial divisions but my mom definitely can. I'd say I've had a pretty sheltered life.

We're going to see the movie on Wednesday. I loved the book :love: Plan to read it again - soon.

Elyse - when I lived in Norfolk, Virginia, 1963-64, I worked at a Catholic Hospital. Peds and Ob was not segregated, but the adult Med-Surg unit was. I was aghast, but the Nuns said it was because of the patients, not hospital policy. I also noted the separate restrooms and bubblers (water fountains) around the city. I was not used to this, having been raised in New England.

Pinot's Mom
08-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Just downloaded "The Help" to my Kindle - will start on it in the next day or so! :)

Grace
08-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Citizen U.S.A. - A 50 State Road Trip by Alexandra Pelosi.

This is the companion book to the HBO documentary of the same name. Ms. Pelosi visited all 50 states and attended naturalization ceremonies to meet brand-new citizens and find out why they chose America as their home.

Really fascinating :)

Roxyluvsme13
08-19-2011, 09:02 PM
I just started Water for Elephants. Saw the movie first but I'm excites about reading the book :).

Grace
08-21-2011, 12:42 PM
After seeing the movie, I started The Help, second reading, on Friday evening. 444 pages later - I just finished it. It's just as good the second time - maybe better after seeing the movie.

cassiesmom
08-22-2011, 10:56 AM
After seeing the movie, I started The Help, second reading, on Friday evening. 444 pages later - I just finished it. It's just as good the second time - maybe better after seeing the movie.

I'm about half way through it.

Next up: Savannah Breeze, by Mary Kay Andrews. My mom's book group is reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

The Chicago Public Library has a program called "One Book, One Chicago" where they pick an appropriate book and it is read by students and book groups, discussion sessions at the library and that sort of thing. Sort of an offshoot of Oprah's book club, I think but more classics than new books. The one for fall 2011 is The Adventures of Augie March, by Saul Bellow.

One of the books on our local high school's summer reading list is called Stiff: Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. I have a friend from church who read it after her son read it, and she said it's surprisingly funny.

cassiesmom
08-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Just downloaded "The Help" to my Kindle - will start on it in the next day or so! :)

When you get an e-book -- do you get the entire book, as you would if you had the actual book? My copy of "The Help" has a note from the author and discussion questions in the back. Do you get the "extras" too- if it had a table of contents, acknowledgements, etc. I read "In the Garden of Beasts" and it had pages of footnotes, some of which had additional information or references that added to the whole story. Can you make the text larger?

Grace
09-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him by Luis Carlos Montalvan.

Returning home after two tours of duty in Iraq, former U.S. Army Captain Luis Carlos Montalvan's physical injuries and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) turn his life into a nightmarish existence. An email with a subject of "WWP and Puppies Behind Bars" alerted him to possible relief with the assistance of a service dog. This is his story but it is also the story of Tuesday, the intelligent, extensively trained but heartbroken golden retriever, who is chosen to become his service dog and constant companion.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjx1eBZhFVjT7SziJJbDxiUZtJschUI PbDS-tLkiZwzufiuVh_wg

True story - you will laugh and cry. Tuesday was partly responsible for the Service Dogs for Veterans Act, Senator Franken's first piece of legislation.

cassiesmom
11-10-2011, 10:16 PM
I just finished "Savannah Breeze" -- it's kind of like a chick-flick in a book! It's fun!

And Grace, I re-read "Our Daily Meds" and it made me just as mad as the first time :mad:!

cassiesmom
11-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Recently finished non-fiction -

Bringing this old thread up again because I loaned out my copy of "Our Daily Meds" and never got it back. A few weeks ago I attended a very interesting nursing continuing education program on prescription drug use and abuse, which got me thinking about the book I no longer had. I bought another copy and I'm reading it again. One of the nurses at the CE program recommended to me "Selling Sickness" by Moynihan and Cassels. I got that through my university library (one reason I love being an alumna!).

The next book for my mom's book club is "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert. It's about a a 7 year old girl who is diagnosed with leprosy and sent to a settlement, away from her family, in Hawaii in the 1890s. I read and liked it. What I liked about it was the history of Hawaii from the 1890s until statehood. It's quite long and detailed which is why they're taking two months to read it (no meeting in December). I don't think I could read it again, though because it is very sad in some spots.

The fall 2012 book for the "One Book, One Chicago" program is called "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. I haven't read it, and I don't know anyone who has.

carole
11-14-2012, 01:33 AM
I have Barack obamas book to read,I won a package of books,including this and James Patterson kill Alex cross,looking forward to reading both

RICHARD
01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Just finished reading the Duck Commander Family by Willie and Korie Robertson.

It's the story of the family that runs a duck call company featured on the A&E program, Duck Dynasty.

A fast read and a little history as to how they got to where they are with the faith of god, family and a little hard work.

--------------------------

Also read Race to Dakar by Charley Boorman.

The account of a guy who has always dreamt of racing in the 'World's Toughest Race".

Funny and a little look into what it takes to prep and race a motorcycle from Paris to Dakar.

cassiesmom
01-21-2013, 12:43 AM
I would love to read "Memoirs of a Geisha". I'd also like to read "The Great Gatsby" again. Read it in high school and again in college because it was assigned - I'd like to read it again, just because. I just finished "The Last Juror" by John Grisham, which I got at Half Price Books :)

I also have a book on diagnosis and treatment for autism spectrum disorders that I need to read for work. Part of my job involves reviewing rehabilitation therapy services for medical appropriateness, and I need to learn more about autism, especially about treatments.

Oh my goodness, I still have not re-read "The Great Gatsby", and it's now 3 1/2 years since I posted about it! But it is coming out as a film again with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. I'd like to re-read it before the film comes out. I'd like to see the Robert Redford film again too.

Grace
01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
For those of us with an interest in all things medical, 2 more books. I have not read either of them yet, but wiil - soon.

1. Happy Accidents: Serendipity in Major Medical Breakthroughs in the Twentieth Century by Morton A. Meyers, M.D.

2. Shakespeare's Tremor and Orwell's Cough - The Medical Lives of Famous Writers by John J. Ross, M.D.

Have any of you read any of the Louise Penny books? Mysteries set in a tiny town in Quebec. I have never read anything like them. Bought the first in the series, and by page 10 I was hooked - ordered all the rest that were out at that time. Her most recent one was last August. Anxiousl waiting for the next due out the end of August.

If you read them, you need to start with the first one, Still Life. You can read about it here - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/still-life-louise-penny/1100355026?ean=9780312948559

carole
01-21-2013, 03:06 PM
currently reading NORA ROBERTS THE WITNESS, i was lucky enough to win 10 copies, so have given some to friends, sold a few and now am finally reading it, seems quite good so far, i prefer this type of her writing to her romance ones to be frank.,anyhow got lots and lots of reading to do.

ChrisH
03-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Two books I heartily recommend, especially if you are a cat lover. Both are true stories.

You can look inside both books on Amazon

Paw Prints in the Moonlight.

A snowy January night. A cat that beat the odds. A man whose life would be forever changed. This is the remarkable story of Toby Jug, the extraordinary cat who thought he was human.

Paw Prints in the Moonlight is the truly special tale of one kind man and the cat that changed his life. Set in the rural splendor of Northumberland, England, this heart warming and classic book will be cherished by people of all ages.

When Denis O'Connor rescues a three-week-old kitten from certain death during a snowstorm, little does he know how this tiny creature will change his life forever. Against all odds the kitten—whom he names Toby Jug—survives and turns out to be a wondrous Maine Coon Cat extraordinaire. Life with Toby is never dull, and Denis and Toby embark on a series of sometimes comical, sometimes poignant adventures that bring them ever closer together. From the massive invasion of bees at Owl Cottage to the mysterious case of the disappearing tomatoes, Denis and Toby form an extraordinary bond, and the cat that no one thought would live through the night ends up altering the lives of everyone he meets.
http://www.amazon.com/Paw-Prints-Moonlight-Heartwarming-Story/dp/0312668295/ref=rec_dp_0

Paw Tracks at Owl Cottage

When Denis O'Connor and his wife Catherine return to Owl Cottage, only to find it in a dilapidated state, they decide to restore his former home. But the memory of Denis' beloved cat, Toby Jug, still lingers on. On impulse, he buys four Maine Coon kittens and names them Pablo, Carlos, Luis and Max. Set against the wilds of the Northumbrian coast, Denis tenderly and humorously charts the ups and downs of life with his mischievous new cats. Forays into this beautiful countryside - in order to train his cats to bond more closely with him - are never without incident. However, when Pablo disappears, Denis is once again reminded of Toby Jug and the strength of bond between man and cat...

http://www.amazon.com/Paw-Tracks-at-Owl-Cottage/dp/1849016402/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363385825&sr=1-2&keywords=paw+prints+in+the+moonlight

pomtzu
03-16-2013, 06:40 AM
Funny Cat Books

I just finished reading the first of 4 of these very humorous books written by Max Thompson. Max is the author and is a tuxie house cat who writes about his world as he sees it. He's flippant, funny, sassy, and also a little bit of a potty mouth, but not offensively so. If our cats could talk, I'm certain that they would be saying all of the things that Max says. Laugh out loud funny reading for all - not just those who are/were owned by cats.

The Phychokitty Speaks Out: Diary of a Mad Housecat.................This is the one I just finished.

The Psychokitty Speaks Out: Something of Yours Will Meet a Toothy Death

The Rules: A Guide for People Owned by Cats

Bite Me: A Memoir (Of Sorts)

These are all available on Amazon - Kindle and "real" book variety.

ChrisH
03-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the recommendations Elllie, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/top.gif I've just bought the two Psychokitty ones and 'The Rules: A guide ... ' for my Kindle. :)

pomtzu
03-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the recommendations Elllie, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/top.gif I've just bought the two Psychokitty ones and 'The Rules: A guide ... ' for my Kindle. :)

I think you'll find them to be very funny. I just happened upon them when I was looking for some new books for my Kindle. I bought the 2 Phychokitty ones, and when I finish this next one that I haven't started yet, I'll buy the other two. Great reading if you need a laugh - or even if you don't. :D

Randi
04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
I've got some recycled books today. Have any of you read these authors?

John R. Maxim
Clifford Irving
John Grisham

Did you like them?

pomtzu
04-02-2013, 02:45 PM

John R. Maxim
Clifford Irving
John Grisham

Did you like them?

If you like thrillers, you should enjoy John Grisham's works. I highly recommend him.

Grace
04-02-2013, 06:22 PM

John R. Maxim
Clifford Irving
John Grisham

Did you like them?

I read some of the John Grisham books and enjoyed them immensely.

Grace
04-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Halfway through Sum It Up by Pat Summitt - long time coach of the University of Tennessee Women's Basketball team. She was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimers 2 years ago. The first chapter I alternated crying with laughing - since then it's mostly laughs. What a wonderful life she had - what a difference she made to women's collegiate athletics :)

I highly recommend this one - even if sports isn't your thing. It's the story of a life well lived :love:

cassiesmom
10-31-2014, 06:57 PM
I read some of the John Grisham books and enjoyed them immensely.

I like John Grisham's books for the most part. One book I just finished was "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. It's about a French girl and a German boy during World War II. It got great reviews. The two characters are in situations where they must protect themselves and they get it done. I won't say any more than that because I don't want to give it away. My mom's book club is reading it now.

Pomtzu, my mom is thinking about Christmas gifts already- I'll keep your suggestion of Max Thompson's Psychokitty books in mind!