PDA

View Full Version : Starr Just Bit Me Very Hard!!!

krazyaboutkatz
12-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi, Starr has been known to bite me from time to time but he's never broken the skin until today. He was sleeping on my lap and I had to get up and he didn't want to move so he bit me extemely hard and 2 of the 4 puncture wounds have broken the skin on my left hand.:eek: They were bleeding only slightly and have now stopped. I washed my hand with antibacterial soap and put some hydrogen peroxide on them.

I have Kaiser insurance so I called them and since my doctor isn't in they're sending an urgent message to his office and someone will call me within 2 hours. She said that I should be able to be seen today.

Am I overeating here? I know that cat bites shouldn't be taken lightly and they can cause bacteria to get into my bloodstream. It seems like the area around the 2 puncture wounds are beginning to swell slightly or I'm just imagining it. Starr had his teeth cleaned just yesterday so hopefully his mouth is cleaner than normal. For such tiny pucnture wounds they sure do hurt. Thanks for reading this.

jazzcat
12-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Oh gosh Tracey that is awful! I think you are doing the right thing in getting in to see the doctor. From the few cases of cat bites here on the board it does seem very important to get medical treatment quickly. Better safe than sorry.

Please keep us updated.

Barbara
12-27-2006, 04:34 PM
I think we had more examples of cat bites here that show you are not overreacting. I am so sorry. Please be not too upset with Starr- he is not a bad kitty....

Freedom
12-27-2006, 04:34 PM
I guess you did the right thing calling in. I was bitten by Amber (RB Mr. Amber Cat) twice. Both times were serious bites, the second time I was in hospital for 10 days for around the clock IV antibiotics. Nuisance, as I FELT fine, except for these sausage fingers!!!

YOU DO REALIZE THAT YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY ANIMAL CONTROL?

Doctors are required by law to report all animal bites. Have the rabies tag and certificate ready. NOTIFY YOUR VET OF WHAT HAS HAPPENED, AS WELL.

When animal control comes knocking, talk about how he just had his teeth cleaned and wasn't feeling himself, and you just weren't paying attention and you HAD to get up.

DO NOT TELL THEM what you just told us, that he bites you now and then. NO WAY do you mention he is a biter!!!!! IMPORTANT. Also do NOT tell your doctor he bites you now and then; that will go into the report which starts the process. Just blame it all on his being out of sorts from having his teeth cleaned, and you not putting enough emphasis on his not being himself.

With any luck, the officer will just tell you keep keep him indoors and away from people for 10 days. (Rather than taking him into quarantine for 10 days).

I managed to avoid Amber's quarantine both times. He had to have medication 4 times per day, and there was NO way he would be getting that at the shelter. They did verify that with my vet, didn't just take my word for it.

I am emphasizing this because I was in shock from the bites the first time and I was bowled over when animal control showed up at my door!!!! :eek: The second time, I was more prepared.

As for your hand, washing and the peroxide are good, you did right on that. Cat bites are dangerous because the teeth are long and narrow. So as the tooth goes in, it deposits any bacteria, just as a dog bite would. But due to being narrow, on the way out the wound closes right up, leaving the bacteria trapped. Dog bites don't get infected as often because the wound is left open as the teeth are wider. Easier to clean the wound out and get any bacteria deposits out.

Your doctor may give you a shot(s), I can't remember what it was for. I am thinking tetanus, but that's not right, that's for metal deposits.

You need to try and keep the wound open to let it clean out. I had to soak in saline solution 4 times per day for 2 or 3 days to keep it moist. You want it to heal from the inside out, from the bottom up. Not scab over the top and heal down.

That is the reason that they hurt so much. They are puncture wounds. That means they are DEEP. That is the definition of a puncture. And yes, the pain at the beginning was unbelievable!!

Hope this info is helpful.
Sandra

shais_mom
12-27-2006, 05:02 PM
aaww Tracey- sorry to hear that.
I hope you get it take care of.
Kloe bites me often but rarely breaks the skin - only when she means business when I'm trying to cut her nails!
{{hugs}}

Grace
12-27-2006, 05:03 PM
YOU DO REALIZE THAT YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY ANIMAL CONTROL?

I think this depends on the state you live in. I'm in Michigan, and have been bitten twice by my cat, Reese. One required a trip to the ER, the other to the doctor's office. Neither case was reported.

Maybe Rhode Island is different?

Cat bites are worse than dog or human bites. Think about it - they bathe themselves - all over their bodies. . . . . .

buttercup132
12-27-2006, 05:18 PM
:confused: What is so bad about cats biting and breaking the skin(or is it just for outdoor cats?)

Hank has been biting really hard latley and not letting go. But I'm sure that's because it's time for him to get fixed. (He has never broke the skin though).

kt_luvs_kitties
12-27-2006, 05:21 PM
I think that you did the right thing. Poor meowmie :( I have been biten many times, and took antibiotics. Cat bites become serious fast, usually you dont know it is infected until it really makes you sick. Please let us know what happens.

And Starr, bad boy! Dont bite the hand that feeds you. Even if she did move your majisty while napping :p :rolleyes:

wolf_Q
12-27-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm sorry to hear this, I hope you will be ok!

:confused: What is so bad about cats biting and breaking the skin(or is it just for outdoor cats?)
color][/b]

Cat bites are considerably more prone to infection than dog bites. I know there is more problems cat bites can cause as well. At my work any cat bite is an automatic trip to the E.R. where a dog bite it would depend on how severe. I have been bitten by dogs at work but none have hurt even close to as badly as the cat bite. I'm sure it varies by state, but here also any animal bite is required to be reported to the authorities.

Your doctor may give you a shot(s), I can't remember what it was for. I am thinking tetanus, but that's not right, that's for metal deposits.

I had to get a shot when the cat bit me, and I'm pretty sure that's what it was...

Catlady711
12-27-2006, 05:39 PM
I think it depends not only in what state you live in, but also where and how the bite happened. The one time I got bit by a cat at work, I just cleaned it up best I could, went on with my day, then went home. Next morning (of course on a Sunday when my reg. dr. is not in) my finger had swelled to over twice it's normal size and hurt like the dickens! When I went to the ER they asked very specific questions and the only one that interested them was when I said it happened at work, that made them perk up. No animal control officer was contacted, but then again I work for a vet hospital and the head vet took care of informing the owner of the cat that I had been bit and instructed him to quarantien the cat for 10 days, (of course we had the advantage of having a vaccination history of knowing the cat was current with it's rabies vaccination.

Sandra

Tetnus is a bacterial infection, and that is exactly the shot I recieved at the ER for my cat bite. Tetnus bacteria can live in soil and on old dirty rusty nails etc. which is probably why you thought it was for metal deposits.

FROM THE CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL (CDC) (http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:5Ae-UY2P-B0J:www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/pink/tetanus.pdf+tetanus&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3)

Tetanus occurs worldwide but is most frequently encountered in densely populated regions in hot, damp climates with soil rich in organic matter. Reservoir Organisms are found primarily in the soil and intestinal tracts of animals and humans. Mode of TransmissionTransmission is primarily by contaminated wounds (apparent and inapparent). The wound may be major or minor. In recent years, however, a higher proportion of patients had minor wounds, probably because severe wounds are more likely to be properly managed. Tetanus may follow elective surgery, burns, deep puncture wounds, crush wounds, otitismedia (ear infections), dental infection, animal bites, abortion, and pregnancy. Almost all reported cases of tetanus are in persons who have either never been vaccinated, or who completed a primary series but have not had a booster in the preceding 10 years.

kt_luvs_kitties
12-27-2006, 05:50 PM
When I got bit by a dog at the vets where I worked (teeth went completely through my hand) I got 2 shots on each tushie cheek 2 x per week for about a month and a half. Hurt badly, but the infection died. (ALSO took 4 meds..2 antibiotics, 2 pain killers. and no use of my left arm for months. It was wrapped, and I had to have my friend and mom wash my hair for me :rolleyes: )

For my cat bites, they were not NEARLY as severe, so I was on antibiotics for a few weeks.

HOPEFULLY it is not that serious where you have to be on shots and meds and pain meds. It really wears you out.

Please update when you can.

wolflady
12-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Oh goodness! What a nawtee boy, Starr!!

I don't think you're over reacting at all. It's better to be safe and have it checked out...even if it's just for piece of mind. Please let us know how your appointment went!

**hugs**

krazyaboutkatz
12-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi everyone.:) I've already been seen by the doctor and I'm now on antibiotics 2 times a day for the next 10 days. The pills are quite large and remind me of horse pills. Since I'm up to date on my tetnus shot I didn't need to have another one.

I told her that Starr is an indoor cat only and is up to date on all of his shots including rabies. She just told me to watch him for the next 10 days but she's sure that everything will be fine. As far as I know I won't be visited by animal control. I guess I should contact my vet to let them know about what happened just in case.

Thanks for all of your responses. I think I caught it very early so I should be fine. I'm on vacation until Jan.2nd so hopefully my hand will feel much better before I go back to work.

Edit: I called my vets office and the lady told me that my doctor will have to report this to animal control but since he's my cat and is up to date on his rabies that I shouldn't have to worry about anything. Animal control will be getting in touch with me some time soon and will just ask me some questions. She also told me that I did the right thing because cat bites can be very serious.

Laura's Babies
12-27-2006, 06:44 PM
When that cat at the shelter bit me, my vet got bittent he same day and he told Rie to tell me to get to a doctor NOW... whenever he gets bitten, he goes immdeiately. I took that advice. My bite was deep, she sunk her fangs all the way in, all 4 of them. I got a shot in the hip and meds for 10 days... No pain pills though and it hurt like the dickens where she bit me.

What is so bad about cats biting and breaking the skin(or is it just for outdoor cats?) You missed the thread waaaaay back when CCL got bitten, that is when I learned how bad cat bites are. They are extreemly dangerous if they are deep.

ShylanHal
12-27-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm really lucky, the doctors are proud of my strong immune system and so whenever a cat bites me, (Fritti, my mom's cat, used to all the time, he was a really evil feline) I get a bit of a welt, like if someone used a miniature whip on me, and of course I wash it with good soap and apply neosporin on it, but that usually does the trick for me. Actually, it's always done the trick for me, but a friend of mine had to go to the ER because her cat bit her shoulder and it swelled like a balloon.
Hope you feel better soon! And it does sound like he was just out of sorts, and I hope he gets to feelin' better too. Though it looks like all he needs is a chill pill :P

Freedom
12-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Great! Glad to hear the update! "Get well soon!"

Catlady711
12-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Glad to hear that you were up-to-date on your tetanus shot, and the antibiotics should take care of any infection.

I think the severity of infection depends on not only how serious the wound is, but also the individual persons immune system and the location of the wound, not sure.

Kalei
12-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Quote from Buttercup :confused: What is so bad about cats biting and breaking the skin(or is it just for outdoor cats?)][quote]

I agree with Buttercup. I play with my kitty all the time, he is 15 years old, and he breaks the skin alot with his teeth and claws mostly, we've done this for 15 years and not once has anything ever happened to me. they always heal right up! But then again my cat has really never been outside, he is a complete house cat and has no way of getting harmful bacteria, I can see why you would want to see a doc if your cat is outside. Hopefully everything will be alright! :)

p.s sorry about the quote thing, I was getting so confused and the quotey thingy wasn't working for me.

krazyaboutkatz
12-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Quote from Buttercup :confused: What is so bad about cats biting and breaking the skin(or is it just for outdoor cats?)][quote]

I agree with Buttercup. I play with my kitty all the time, he is 15 years old, and he breaks the skin alot with his teeth and claws mostly, we've done this for 15 years and not once has anything ever happened to me. they always heal right up! But then again my cat has really never been outside, he is a complete house cat and has no way of getting harmful bacteria, I can see why you would want to see a doc if your cat is outside. Hopefully everything will be alright! :)

p.s sorry about the quote thing, I was getting so confused and the quotey thingy wasn't working for me.
Actually all of my cats are indoor only. It doesn't matter if they're indoor or outdoor cats, their mouths still carry a lot of bacteria in them. My bite was just a very small one and maybe I would've been okay without seeing a doctor but I didn't want to take a chance and then have it get worse and end up in the hospital.

Kalei
12-27-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't blame you for checking, it is very good that you are okay and nothing serious happened.

Catty1
12-27-2006, 08:12 PM
There is "play" biting, and then having adult cat teeth sink deep INTO your hand/arm/muscle.

Even breaking the skin is not the same as a deep puncture wound...the latter can be very serious.

When I worked at the cat boarding kennel, I was on antibiotics twice in the same month for deep bites from the same cat - and the kennel owner went for daily IV's at the hospital.

I hope you never have to experience it.

moosmom
12-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Tracey,

Do NOT take a cat bite lightly. If the skin is broken, it can become infected very quickly. Have it checked out. Tell them is was a provoked attack (otherwise they'll take Starr and quarantine him).

Good luck!

kuhio98
12-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Tracey ~ I'm so sorry to hear about this. Hope you feel better soon.

AmberLee
12-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Tracey,

Sounds like you made the right decision. So sorry you're hurt and that Starr's so out of sorts. Fingers crossed that you caught this right on time; it sure sounds like you did.

~~~ healing vibes ~~~ at ya!

shais_mom
12-27-2006, 11:55 PM
It has NOTHING to do if the cat is indoor or not.
A cat's mouth is very very "dirty" (even tho we LOVE THEM) and b/c of the way their teeth are is why they are so serious. I had no clue cat bites were so serious either until I watched Emergency Vet's one day years ago on Animal Planet and this lady's cat had fallen and gotten impaled on a fence post and of course was in horrible pain and biting her while she was trying to free it. She took it to the hospital and one of the drs said Don't wait to see how your cat is GET TO THE ER. And even then she had a horrible infection that went all the way up to her elbows and came dangerously close to losing one of her hands. She was on IV antibiotics and then became allergic to the antibiotics. They said if she would have went home and washed with antibacterial soap by the time she realized something was wrong she probably would have lost one or both of her hands.
I'm glad you are going to be ok Tracey!

Don Juan's mom
12-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Oh, dear, if this was BEFORE Christmas I think we know what Starr would get in his stocking! Look pal, we don't, repeat, don't bite the hand that feeds us!

Lizz

Killearn Kitties
12-28-2006, 03:09 AM
I hope your hand is feeling much better soon, Tracey. I know how sore those puncture wounds are. I remember Jessica bit me once, and oh did it sting! She got me, Alec and the vet with one swish of her head, so it probably wasn't a deep one, and we didn't need any further treatment.
Many years ago, the first time we took Daisy to the vet, she was a very very scared little girl. She sunk her teeth into Alec's arm and hung on for dear life. He needed a course of antibiotic injections after that one!

krazyaboutkatz
12-28-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm going to be just fine. After I took my first antibiotic pill, the pain subsided a little while later and the slight swelling is also gone.:)

I lost power to my cable t.v. and had no internet access as of around 7pm last night so I sat and watched a couple of movies. Starr slept on my lap the whole time and I could tell that he wasn't feeling very well. He also didn't want to eat much of his dinner. He's feeling much better today so we're both going to be just fine. I'm still being very careful around him so that I don't startle him. He's always been a very scared, stressed out little boy. I know he didn't mean to do this and I've already let him know that I've forgiven him. I'm just glad that it happened while the regular doctor's were still there so I didn't have to go to the ER.

Thanks for all of your responses and get well wishes.:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Ouch :eek: !!
I didn't know that cat-bites are so dangerous! Little Snoopy also likes to bite. I tried to learn her NOT to do that from the first day she was here. But she still does it ... .

Bengalz
12-28-2006, 01:49 PM
So glad you're okay and all is good with Starr. He probably just had a "moment"; I doubt he would deliberately bite you or anyone for that matter.

Eve can get a little overexcited when she plays :rolleyes: She has never biten anyone (to my knowledge) but she does hook those little claws in sometimes :p and I know it's not intentional. I have been biten and badly scratched by a cat - there is a difference when they want to hurt you and when it's just a consequence.

Starr loves his mommy too much to want to hurt her :)

Feel better,
Betty

Husky15
12-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Ouch! I'm glad everything is doing ok. CC isn't a biter, so he's only bit me a couple times and when he does it never breaks the skin. I never knew that cat bites were so serious, but better safe then sorry.

ramanth
12-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Logan bit my right index finger and hand and his teeth penetrated right to the bone. I washed with antibacterial soap right away and soaked it in peroxide and drove straight to the ER. (After a frantic call to Moosmom :p :D )

Even with all the measures I took and getting a round of IV antibiotics, my finger and hand still became very infected. Had to have stronger IV antibotics every 6 hours.

I'm glad your hand is okay!!

kimlovescats
12-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Tracy, I'm just now reading this but I am glad it wasn't more serious! Get feeling better soon!!! ;)

Anikaca77
12-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Tracy you did the right the by going to the doctors...when I was doing a cat rescue over this past summer I was moving a feral female cat from a cage to the cat carrier and she slipped away and I have to catch her very quickly and when I got her she bite down so hard on my hand and keep kicking me on my other arm until I was able to get her into the cat carrier. ( I was doing TNR with the cats). So anyway my mom was there and helped me clean up my bite marks and later the next day my hand was swollen and I had a red rash going up my arm slowly. So they needed to put me on antibotic and I didn't know when my last tetnus shot was so the gave me one of those too. I learned my lession very well after that moment. But the cat got fixed and released and now she's not spreading any babies at least.

I hope you are not too mad with Starr.

krazyaboutkatz
12-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks again everyone.:) I'm not mad at Starr I don't blame him at all. We'll both be fine but now due to the meds that we're both on, we both have diarrhea.:( I guess I must be on some very strong antibiotics because I've never had this kind of reaction before. I can't take any antidiarrhea meds either because it said that it might make things worse. I just hope that my system will be back to normal by Jan.2nd because I have to go back to work.

shais_mom
12-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Oh Lordy I feel your pain
a couple years ago I was on 1000mg of Augmentin for 10 days -- HORSE PILLS!
I ended the script like on a Tuesday and even thru the weekend I was MISERABLE! with cramping, gas and diarrhea! And I was at a Bachlorette Party in Canada to boot! It was the PITTS! It was just something I had to go thru b/c of the strong antiobiotic but I've never forgotten it! I think I took a whole pack of anti-diarrheal pills and didn't even touch it!

{hugs}

krazyaboutkatz
12-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Oh Lordy I feel your pain
a couple years ago I was on 1000mg of Augmentin for 10 days -- HORSE PILLS!
I ended the script like on a Tuesday and even thru the weekend I was MISERABLE! with cramping, gas and diarrhea! And I was at a Bachlorette Party in Canada to boot! It was the PITTS! It was just something I had to go thru b/c of the strong antiobiotic but I've never forgotten it! I think I took a whole pack of anti-diarrheal pills and didn't even touch it!

{hugs}
I'm on amoxicillin/k clav 875/125mg tablets and I take 2 pills a day and they are huge. It's the generic for augmentin.:(

Grace
12-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Eat lots of yogurt. The antibiotics are killing off all the bacteria in your gut - good and bad. The yogurt will help bring the good ones back.

Catlady711
12-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Eat lots of yogurt. The antibiotics are killing off all the bacteria in your gut - good and bad. The yogurt will help bring the good ones back.

You have to be careful using dairy products with certain antibiotics, the dairy can interfere with the absorbtion of the medication.

If I'm understanding "amoxicillin/k clav 875/125mg tablets" it means amoixicilling and Clavamox? If thats what those are I believe dairy is ok to use with those. I don't know about 'augmentin' but then again our meds are for animals, and even though we sometimes use human genarics there are soooo many names/brands out there I couldn't possibly keep up with all of them.

Logan
12-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Tracey, in the six years Butter has been with me, he has nailed me many times, as you know. But the worst was once at the vet's office and he sunk his teeth into my hand (it was my fault for reaching in to calm him). The next morning, I had red streaks running up my arm. You definitely did the right thing, going to the doctor. With the holiday weekend, it would have been a pain (no pun intended) to try and find someone to see you, had it gotten worse. I can't remember what antibiotic he gave me, but I didn't react the way you are. I did have to have a tetanus shot...realized it had been over 20 years since I had one!!! :o

Hope you feel better! Starr too!

Logan

krazyaboutkatz
12-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks again everyone.:) I'm actually feeling much better. The information sheet that I received with this medication said that in the first 3 days I might experience some side effects but that they should go away when my body becomes used to the medication. I think that my stomach has finally calmed down.

I called Starr's vet and told them about his problem and they said to stop giving him his medicine. Hopefully this will help because he normally has a sensitive stomach and sometimes will have runny poos and diarrhea. I hope that tomorrow is a better day for both of us.:)

moosmom
12-29-2006, 09:33 PM
When I got bit a while back, I was put on Augmentin. 10 days/10 pills = $100! :eek: It beat taking those rabies shots.

rg_girlca
12-29-2006, 09:49 PM
KAK, I'm glad to read that your hand is doing better and pray that yours and Starr's tummies feel better real soon also.

Taz_Zoee
12-30-2006, 01:10 AM
That's great that you are okay and that animal control was not contacted. My co-worker's cat bit her and animal control was called. I live in the East Bay area. Her bite made her entire hand swell up for about a week.
I hope you and Starr are all back to "normal" soon. :D