PDA

View Full Version : Cat sitting

cassiesmom
12-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Pet Talk cat people -- I need your wise counsel, please. My brother and family are going out of town on New Year's Day for 5 days and have asked that I cat sit for them, which I am thrilled to do. Their cat (Tabby) is a male, not neutered or declawed. He is used to having his family home all evening and at night. He will be home alone for 5 days except for the time I spend with him. My cat (Cassie) is female, spayed and front paw declawed.

What I want to know is: It's breaking my heart to think about their kitty being home alone all day waiting for his people. He is very sweet, loves to be petted on his head and back, and will climb onto whoever makes a lap for him. He's also a good "helper" with reading the newspaper or paying bills. He eats the same diet as my cat. I would happily bring him to my house so he wouldn't be alone as much, but I think I'd have an all-out cat war for five days. Do you all think I stand a chance of them getting along? If you don't, then I will try to spend time with him each day when I visit instead of just feed him, check the litter pan and skedaddle. I wish he were neutered, because he has such a sweet and affectionate cat personality. But he's not and I"m not exactly sure why.

Laura's Babies
12-27-2006, 12:40 PM
If you brought him to your house I would keep him in another room away from your kitty. They do fine alone when the owners are away but they do get lonesome and I think he would do better at home. Why not go int he evenings and just sit and watch some TV? I bet you would get all the loving you could handle if you did.

I leave mine 28 days at a time and my daughter comes checks on them every day and spoils them rotten.

Freedom
12-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Here are my thoughts:
1. have them set the clock radio to play. If they have 2 all the better. Set one for AM, one for PM. That way, there is music for an hour twice per day.
2. Keep him in his own home. It may be more stressful for him losing both his humans AND his home.
3. And an un-neutered male, there is even more chance of him marking if he is brought into a new environment, with another cat scent present. He may not, you just don't know.
4. If your schedule permits, stop in and stay for half an hour (or more) each day. Turn on the TV, hum, sing with the radio (or alone) so there is some noise. If he knows you, and will interact with you all the better. Playtime!

If you know about what time(s) you will be there, have the radios set for another time.

5. Make sure they leave plenty of toys around. Even keep a few for you to put out on day 3.

Five days isn't THAT long. I left mine for 3 weeks, with someone coming in each morning and another person each night. That was a long time. But the end they were getting bored and lonely. Each person had to pick up and replace all the pillows in the house - bed, sofa, you name it. That started in week 3.

These are just my thoughts / ideas. Good luck whatever you decide!
Sandra

catmandu
12-27-2006, 07:36 PM
I Would Have An Uneutered Cat In His Own House As He May Be Aggressive To A Female Cat, Spayed Or Not.
And He Would Be A Lot Happier In His Own Surroundings, I Think.

cassiesmom
12-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Okay, thank you all! The Tabs stays at his house. He's had a lot of stress lately with the Christmas tree, his family coming and going and now they'll be away. I'll plan to stay with him for awhile each visit instead of hurrying in and out. He can "help" me with bills and mail. I'll try and take a couple photos of his pretty tabby stripes to share with you.