PDA

View Full Version : Saddam....30 days and counting

Pam
12-27-2006, 05:01 AM
I wonder if we will be told beforehand when exactly it will be. From what I have heard it could be anytime between now and the next 30 days. Supposedly the hanging will be videotaped to prove that it actually occurred. :eek: :eek:

trayi52
12-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Pam, I'm counting the days!!!

Willie

JenBKR
12-27-2006, 09:00 AM
I heard about that - they want him hanged within 30 days. Talk about fast! I heard this morning that he will know 'well ahead of time' when the date will actually be. Well ahead of time may mean a couple of hours though.....

Miss Z
12-27-2006, 10:29 AM
30 more days then an evil man will be gone forever, good riddance to him.

critter crazy
12-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Yay!!!! I am counting down!!!! Good Riddance!!!!!:D

momoffuzzyfaces
12-27-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm hoping they just keep it quiet until the deed is done. Maybe that would keep some of his pals from trying to get him out and keep some of the violence down.

No tears will be shead from me for him that's for sure!

Laura's Babies
12-27-2006, 01:05 PM
I had read awhile back that they were having a major problem finding someone to do the deed. They shouldn't give the date, only that it is done.

Vela
12-27-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm not going to shed any tears, but I'm not going to rejoice either. Someone's death, to me, even if well deserved, is never a cause for celebration. It's a sad fact they did whatever they did to deserve it, and it should be carried out, but I'll never think it's a great thing.

moosmom
12-27-2006, 09:54 PM
I hope they keep it quiet. I know that's asking for alot, however the repercussions by the butt wipes who glorify him will only cause them to seek revenge on the United States. THAT has me more worried than his hanging.

Good riddance to the piece of trash.

moosmom
12-27-2006, 09:55 PM
I hope they keep it quiet. I know that's asking for a lot, however the repercussions by the butt wipes who glorify him will only cause them to seek revenge on the United States. THAT has me more worried than his departure. I only hope the U.S. beefs up their Homeland Security.

Logan
12-27-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't care. I don't even want to know, to tell you the truth.

He is a mere distraction at this point. I want a solution to this war, beyond Saddam, and I want our soldiers to be safe, or at least, safer.

I wish this whole crazy mess could be over sooner than it will be. :(

Pam
12-28-2006, 06:35 AM
I wish this whole crazy mess could be over sooner than it will be. :(

Logan I am hoping that with a change in administrations that we can bring this to a close. I never thought I would say that but my heart keeps breaking every time I hear of another soldier dying. It is all so reminiscent to me of Viet Nam and the feeling in the country at that time.

I think that President Bush did what he felt was correct at the time and I don't think he had an evil or grandiose intentions. I think he was poorly advised by the people around him. At some point we need to suck it up and get out. :(

wombat2u2004
12-28-2006, 08:13 AM
THIS ARTICLE WAS RECENTLY IN THE LA TIMES.
I'd like to know what you all think about this ????

Jonathan Chait: Bring back Saddam Hussein
Restoring the dictator to power may give Iraqis the jolt of authority they need. Have a better solution?
November 26, 2006

THE DEBATE about Iraq has moved past the question of whether it was a mistake (everybody knows it was) to the more depressing question of whether it is possible to avert total disaster. Every self-respecting foreign policy analyst has his own plan for Iraq. The trouble is that these tracts are inevitably unconvincing, except when they argue why all the other plans would fail. It's all terribly grim.

So allow me to propose the unthinkable: Maybe, just maybe, our best option is to restore Saddam Hussein to power.

Yes, I know. Hussein is a psychotic mass murderer. Under his rule, Iraqis were shot, tortured and lived in constant fear. Bringing the dictator back would sound cruel if it weren't for the fact that all those things are also happening now, probably on a wider scale.

At the outset of the war, I had no high hopes for Iraqi democracy, but I paid no attention to the possibility that the Iraqis would end up with a worse government than the one they had. It turns out, however, that there is something more awful than totalitarianism, and that is endless chaos and civil war.

Nobody seems to foresee the possibility of restoring order to Iraq. Here is the basic dilemma: The government is run by Shiites, and the security agencies have been overrun by militias and death squads. The government is strong enough to terrorize the Sunnis into rebellion but not strong enough to crush this rebellion.

Meanwhile, we have admirably directed our efforts into training a professional and nonsectarian Iraqi police force and encouraging reconciliation between Sunnis and Shiites. But we haven't succeeded. We may be strong enough to stop large-scale warfare or genocide, but we're not strong enough to stop pervasive chaos.

Hussein, however, has a proven record in that department. It may well be possible to reconstitute the Iraqi army and state bureaucracy we disbanded, and if so, that may be the only force capable of imposing order in Iraq.

Chaos and order each have a powerful self-sustaining logic. When people perceive a lack of order, they act in ways that further the disorder. If a Sunni believes that he is in danger of being killed by Shiites, he will throw his support to Sunni insurgents who he sees as the only force that can protect him. The Sunni insurgents, in turn, will scare Shiites into supporting their own anti-Sunni militias.

And it's not just Iraqis who act this way. You could find a smaller-scale version of this dynamic in an urban riot here in the United States. But when there's an expectation of social order, people will act in a civilized fashion.

Restoring the expectation of order in Iraq will take some kind of large-scale psychological shock. The Iraqi elections were expected to offer that shock, but they didn't. The return of Saddam Hussein — a man every Iraqi knows, and whom many of them fear — would do the trick.

The disadvantages of reinstalling Hussein are obvious, but consider some of the upside. He would not allow the country to be dominated by Iran, which is the United States' major regional enemy, a sponsor of terrorism and an instigator of warfare between Lebanon and Israel. Hussein was extremely difficult to deal with before the war, in large part because he apparently believed that he could defeat any U.S. invasion if it came to that. Now he knows he can't. And he'd probably be amenable because his alternative is death by hanging.

I know why restoring a brutal tyrant to power is a bad idea. Somebody explain to me why it's worse than all the others.

mike001
12-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Wombat, though I have to disagree with you about Sadamm being turned loose, your post was certainly food for thought. It does point to the one thing we always said.....things are a lot worse now.

Marigold2
12-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi Wombat,
Yes I agree as does my husband. As long as Saddam was in power there was some rule, now there is choaos and our sons and daughters are paying the price. Checks and balances are sometimes difficult to comprehand, but very necessary especially when dealing with the Middle East as they are so bloodthirsty. As a mom of two sons who were in the military, one still is, my child's life is not worth any part of this war. Bush is the biggest embrassment this county has ever had. Now that does not mean that ANY soldier who is there is not a hero, they all are. I am only saying they should not be sent to Iraq to fight this war. Let these people fight their own war and rule their country as they see fit. We should have kept our noses out of Iraq and the world would hate us less. Finally most Americans are in agreement, Bush in a moran. I still don't know how anyone could have voted for him.:confused: :confused:

rosethecopycat
12-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi Wombat,
. Bush in a moran.

Careful to first spell moron correctly before you call someone one, lest you seem like one yourself.

And we could use a verb in this sentence, as well.

moosmom
12-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Let these people fight their own war and rule their country as they see fit. We should have kept our noses out of Iraq and the world would hate us less.

I kinda doubt the world would hate us less. However, I do agree that we should get out and let them fight their own war.

I thought we were only over there to train them?? Boy did THAT ever get out of hand.

kt_luvs_kitties
12-28-2006, 07:51 PM
All I have to say is... BYE BYE SADDAM! :p

GreyhoundGirl
12-28-2006, 07:53 PM
I had read awhile back that they were having a major problem finding someone to do the deed. They shouldn't give the date, only that it is done.

Yea, well, think about it, who would want to murder someone who probably has some dangerous friends out there. I wouldn't do it. It'll take a brave and vicious soul.

It is an understandable problem.

Pam
12-28-2006, 08:51 PM
I heard earlier tonight on the news that he could be executed as early as tomorrow and most likely before the new year. I also heard that there were many many people who had volunteered to *do the deed.* He is not lacking in the enemies department. The person would probably have to have their identity concealed in some way.

We have never been liked by many of the people of that region due to our support of Israel. The war hasn't helped but it didn't cause the problem.

Argranade
12-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Those people are NOT being any better then Saddam him self,

Killing him will not make things better, as a matter of fact it could just make things worse.

No I do NOT like that man at all one bit, but I don't think this is right.

Alysser
12-28-2006, 09:08 PM
I don't even care anymore. My brother went to Iraq and us going to war was a huge mistake. We had no purpose there and we should have just stayed out of all this mess. I cannot tell you the worry I went through when I heard something about bombings, battles, ect. on the news. I thought my brother was dead. Unless you've had someone go to war, you'll never understand what it feels like..

Husky15
12-28-2006, 10:19 PM
I don't know what to think. To me it's good and bad. I definitely wont shed any tears, though.

BC_MoM
12-29-2006, 04:41 AM
I hope they keep it quiet. I know that's asking for alot, however the repercussions by the butt wipes who glorify him will only cause them to seek revenge on the United States. THAT has me more worried than his hanging.

Same here!

But I'm not all "Rah! Rah! Let's hang Saddam!" like some here.. that just sounds evil to me, and doesn't make anyone sound like a nice person.

May God bless this infinitely troubled man's soul and take pity on him.

Vela
12-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Same here!

But I'm not all "Rah! Rah! Let's hang Saddam!" like some here.. that just sounds evil to me, and doesn't make anyone sound like a nice person.

May God bless this infinitely troubled man's soul and take pity on him.

Couldn't agree more.

lizbud
12-29-2006, 11:25 AM
I really think the hanging won't make any difference, one way or another.
Yes he was a dictator & a tyrant & probably deserves his fate, but there are
many more tyrants in the world. Are American armed forces supposed to go
after them next? The whole Irag war was wrong from the beginning.osama
is alive & well in Afganistan & it was him & his followers that caused 9/11.

wombat2u2004
12-29-2006, 04:33 PM
.....looks like the execution will be carried out within the next 24 hours.
Trouble is tho.....one goes down, another will spring up in his place.
Wom

Pam
12-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Just heard on FOX News that he will be hanged between 9:30 and 10:00PM EST.

Sevaede
12-29-2006, 09:15 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16389128/

GreyhoundGirl
12-29-2006, 09:16 PM
It's right now. 15 minutes ago they led him to the gallows. the news says it won't be on TV.

Sorta creepy, I doubt "Earth" has hanged anyone is years. I mean, it does seem a tad inhumane, even if he does deserve it. *gets slightly creeped out*

moosmom
12-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Yahoo.com reported Hussein was hanged today. Arab media confirmed it.

You can bet I'll be saying prayers there's no retaliation.

I've got one thing to say to Hussein...

BUH-BYE!!!

GreyhoundGirl
12-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Yahoo.com reported Hussein was hanged today. Arab media confirmed it.

You can bet I'll be saying prayers there's no retaliation.

I've got one thing to say to Hussein...

BUH-BYE!!!

Oddly enough, I don't think he heard you.

:p

junescrater716
12-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Oddly enough, I don't think he heard you.

:p

Yes try pointing your head down to the floor. ;) lol

cyber-sibes
12-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Yup, the deed is done, no more Saddam. It was a good decision to get it over with quickly. Less chance of some kind of insurgency jail break where he simply dissappeared out of public sight. I know it sounds macabre, but I keep hearing the munchkin song from the Wizard of OZ in my head -- "Ding Dong, the witch is dead! Which old witch? The wicked witch!" with a few word changes to fit the occasion.

BC_MoM
12-30-2006, 01:13 AM
Sorta creepy, I doubt "Earth" has hanged anyone is years. I mean, it does seem a tad inhumane, even if he does deserve it. *gets slightly creeped out*

Ooh.. I see what you're saying! That is creepy.

I still think it's creepy, too, that you're all celebrating about hanging (forget who it is for a moment, please).

popcornbird
12-30-2006, 01:23 AM
He is gone. He is gone from this world, and is now in the Hands of God, his Creator, the One in Whose hands we will all return to after we leave this world. God is Just, and will deal with him, and everyone, in justice. We have no place to 'judge' anymore, now that he is gone. God will do the ultimate justice, and deal with him accordingly.

Enough said. This war has killed way too many innocent people for me to care about this. Killing Saddam isn't going to bring anyone's loved ones back. It isn't going to bring back the people he killed. It isn't going to bring back the thousands of innocent Iraqi children, or mothers, or fathers, that the US bombs killed. It isn't going to serve any purpose. I've never liked Saddam, but truly, no matter how much anyone hates him, this 'hanging' will serve absolutely no purpose, at all. I don't care. I hate the war more than I hate Saddam or anyone else, and as far as I'm concerned, the war is still going on, and innocent people are still being killed...each and every day. :( This will not make any difference.

BC_MoM
12-30-2006, 01:49 AM
popcornbird, I agree 101% with what you said. :)

Sevaede
12-30-2006, 02:08 AM
"What other options were there left? He killed many, many people. A lot of people see it as a punishment. As in... what was there left to do? Should he have been left unpunished? What would have been more suitable?"

That seems to me what a large chunk of people who are pro-Saddam execution are saying. :)

Perhaps exile on a deserted isle would have been better. :)

wombat2u2004
12-30-2006, 05:35 AM
"What other options were there left? He killed many, many people. A lot of people see it as a punishment."

This I have to agree with.

Even tho I am against the death penalty... the real question here is "What is the alternative???" Sure, we could lock him away forever and throw the key away, but really......... does the man deserve to live after committing such crimes against his own people ???? This man killed thousands of innocent men, women and children with chemicals such as cyanide and mustard gas......... what would you folk wish on someone like that who would do the same to your families ???
Saddam Hussein was a butcher, nothing more, and nothing less....he was judged fairly by a court of law, and sentenced according to the laws of his own country....laws that he himself was obviously immune to whilst in power.
Even tho I am a Christian (and I believe a good one), I believe that this man does not deserve to be among the living.
Sorry if I have offended anyone :o

Pam
12-30-2006, 05:48 AM
"What other options were there left? He killed many, many people. A lot of people see it as a punishment."

Even tho I am against the death penalty... the real question here is "What is the alternative???" Sure, we could lock him away forever and throw the key away, but really......... does the man deserve to live after committing such crimes against his own people ???? This man killed thousands of innocent men, women and children with chemicals such as cyanide and mustard gas......... what would you folk wish on someone like that who would do the same to your families ???
Saddam Hussein was a butcher, nothing more, and nothing less....he was judged fairly by a court of law, and sentenced according to the laws of his own country....laws that he himself was obviously immune to whilst in power.
Even tho I am a Christian (and I believe a good one), I believe that this man does not deserve to be among the living.

You did not offend me at all. I agree completely. In this country we executed Timothy McVeigh. His crime again his fellow human beings was on a much smaller scale than Saddam's but the victims' souls of both of these men cry out for justice. No it won't bring anyone back, but it is the way that justice is served. Saddam's end came about through a civilized course of events. I don't think anyone is saying rest in peace because it is ludicrous to believe that he is now anywhere where he might be resting or peaceful. To quote one of the Iraqis that I saw on TV last night "he got what he deserved."

wombat2u2004
12-30-2006, 07:23 AM
"Saddam's end came about through a civilized course of events"
That is so true. And that is much more than his victims ever received. They had no trial, there was no justice, nothing....they were just murdered because they probably offended him....or even less.
Wom

Luvin Labs
12-30-2006, 07:24 AM
I kinda doubt the world would hate us less. However, I do agree that we should get out and let them fight their own war.

I thought we were only over there to train them?? Boy did THAT ever get out of hand.

No kidding. When I first heard we were sending people over there to "train" people, the first thought in my mind was "we are going to be over there for far longer than we think". I mean, we have to TRAIN a country to defend itself? Riiight.

I just want our soldiers back on our ground. Who knows if Saddam's goons are gonna strike on our turf.

:(

trayi52
12-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Pam, I completely agree with you. He got what he deserved. Letting him go free, or just putting him in prison would have been very dangerous. Who's to say he would not have escaped from prison and regained control over Iraq? No, he is where he ought to be, right where Timothy McVeigh is.
I hate this war too, I wish the men and women could just come on home right this very minute. I don't understand any of it myself!

I am not saddened by Saddam's death at all, I keep seeing all the men, women and children's faces that he killed, had his owned son-in-laws killed too! Just to much to deal with.

Willie

GreyhoundGirl
12-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Surprisingly, it's not getting as much publicity as I thought, either. I expected it to be huge thing with the newspapers. In the newspaper here, Saddam was on the 10th page, the front page picture was some people dressed up for new years in a bar. :rolleyes:

But then again, what was probably the queen's last visit to Canada, the paper had a picture of a guy in a chicken suit on the front cover. :rolleyes:

Apperently he was petitioning KFC, against that PETA cruelty to chickens charge. We're going to eat them, HELLO! The guy didn't even know his facts. (the guy in a chicken suit, not saddam :p )

JenBKR
12-30-2006, 08:22 AM

I agree. I feel a little torn about the whole thing, because I don't know how I feel about the death penalty, but Saddam was compared to Hitler. I know he didn't go as far as Hitler, but the similarities are there. I don't know that I could celebrate his death, as I don't think I could celebrate anyone's death, but I am not sad he's gone.

anna_66
12-30-2006, 08:26 AM
He is gone. He is gone from this world, and is now in the Hands of God, his Creator, the One in Whose hands we will all return to after we leave this world. God is Just, and will deal with him, and everyone, in justice. We have no place to 'judge' anymore, now that he is gone. God will do the ultimate justice, and deal with him accordingly.

Enough said. This war has killed way too many innocent people for me to care about this. Killing Saddam isn't going to bring anyone's loved ones back. It isn't going to bring back the people he killed. It isn't going to bring back the thousands of innocent Iraqi children, or mothers, or fathers, that the US bombs killed. It isn't going to serve any purpose. I've never liked Saddam, but truly, no matter how much anyone hates him, this 'hanging' will serve absolutely no purpose, at all. I don't care. I hate the war more than I hate Saddam or anyone else, and as far as I'm concerned, the war is still going on, and innocent people are still being killed...each and every day. :( This will not make any difference.
I couldn't agree with you more.

I have been working all day the last two days and haven't seen the news and was surprised when I logged on this morning to see that the deed was already done.

Alysser
12-30-2006, 08:53 AM

I agree with this 110%. This war has gone on far longer then it should have.

mugsy
12-30-2006, 09:59 AM
Good riddance to him...I'm sure he has met his Maker and has been judged and I can only hope what it might have been.

I agree that the war has killed too many, but, we still need to leave in a systematic way.

Twisterdog
12-30-2006, 10:01 AM
I really think the hanging won't make any difference, one way or another. Yes he was a dictator & a tyrant & probably deserves his fate, but there are many more tyrants in the world. Are American armed forces supposed to go after them next?

Agreed

junescrater716
12-30-2006, 12:40 PM

No it won't bring any of them back but it will prevent them from having to go again. Hanging Saddam wasn't "inhumane" he was a disgusting man who deserved what he got. There was a special on 20/20 last night and even his brother said that Saddam was crazy and deserved to be hanged. He would rape and kill women all the time!!! And you're going to go and tell me that his death was inhumane? I think not.

finn's mom
12-30-2006, 12:59 PM
I think he's better off dead. Not necessarily for the sake of the world, but, for the sake of himself. I don't think he was a healthy man. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing a video or even photographs of his hanging, though I don't disagree with him being executed. It really doesn't make a lot of difference at this point, but, I'm sure it's closure for a lot of people.

BC_MoM
12-30-2006, 01:03 PM
http://winnipegsun.com/FrontPage/2006/12/30/frontbig.jpg

^The front of my newspaper. *shakes head*

Edwina's Secretary
12-30-2006, 01:38 PM
No it won't bring any of them back but it will prevent them from having to go again. Hanging Saddam wasn't "inhumane" he was a disgusting man who deserved what he got. There was a special on 20/20 last night and even his brother said that Saddam was crazy and deserved to be hanged. He would rape and kill women all the time!!! And you're going to go and tell me that his death was inhumane? I think not.

I don't see where PCB said killing Saddam was "inhumane"...although I might. Isn't killing anyone "inhumane" perhaps?

Furthermore, I am pretty sure it would be difficult for the people he killed to "having to go again."

I think the issue is....at what price did this crazy/horrid/evil man get his? How many Iraqis and Americans and citizens of the other nations which have participated have died to remove this one evil dictator???

And how many evil dictators does that leave in the world?

(and please....before someone goes off on THAT tangent....Iraq/Saddam ---NOT involved in 9/11)

RICHARD
12-30-2006, 01:42 PM
http://winnipegsun.com/FrontPage/2006/12/30/frontbig.jpg

Imagine that.....a threesome and pigs flying!!
and Team Canada makes it to the semis!!! Far out!

Twisterdog
12-30-2006, 05:41 PM
I honestly didn't care too much about this one way or another. IMO, he's just one cog, albeit a sadistic one, in a huge machine of death, destruction and misery.

However, I have to say, that I am truly and totally appalled by the graphic news coverage of the hanging. My husband was watching it on public TV this morning ... right in the middle of prime cartoon-viewing time for kids!

Yes, he was an evil person. Yes, the US is going to see his death as a feather in its hat. However ... I still think showing an actual execution of ANYone on public television, on the MSN homepage on the internet, etc. is going a bit far.

He's dead now. Right or wrong, good or bad, whatever ... let it go.

sparks19
12-30-2006, 06:42 PM
"killing is inhumane"

"he was only one person it doesn't make a difference"

"we are just as bad as he is"

Well all that being said. I still say "Ding Dong the witch is dead" It may be just a drop in the bucket but every bucket full starts with one drop.

I will just say this, if someone came into my home, raped my children and murdered my family..... I would kill him. period. If that makes me just as bad fine. Even though I realize it won't bring my family back.... I still see how many families I could be saving from this man. You kill someone in cold blood, you don't deserve to live.... period.

The only reason he wasn't dead long ago was because his people were to afraid to take the chance. If this monster's death brings peace to ONE family he tortured or could have tortured then, IMO, it was worth it. I will not feel bad, sad, angry or disappointed because a terrible man was brought to justice at the hands of humans.

God is the final judge, we arrange the meeting ;) LOL sorry that was from a TV show and I couldn't resist that line.

junescrater716
12-30-2006, 06:51 PM
"killing is inhumane"

"he was only one person it doesn't make a difference"

"we are just as bad as he is"

Well all that being said. I still say "Ding Dong the witch is dead" It may be just a drop in the bucket but every bucket full starts with one drop.

I will just say this, if someone came into my home, raped my children and murdered my family..... I would kill him. period. If that makes me just as bad fine. Even though I realize it won't bring my family back.... I still see how many families I could be saving from this man. You kill someone in cold blood, you don't deserve to live.... period.

The only reason he wasn't dead long ago was because his people were to afraid to take the chance. If this monster's death brings peace to ONE family he tortured or could have tortured then, IMO, it was worth it. I will not feel bad, sad, angry or disappointed because a terrible man was brought to justice at the hands of humans.

God is the final judge, we arrange the meeting ;) LOL sorry that was from a TV show and I couldn't resist that line.

YES!!! Very well said!!!!! :)

RICHARD
12-30-2006, 07:11 PM
The Canucks have always been a hockey powerhouse.

Remember, Saddam ordered people to be killed.

His fingerprints are all over the deaths during his reign of terror, but who pulled the trigger?

The media has been heavy on the clips of people being kicked and punched, shot and ???????

And not once did I see SH in any of the shots....

Not saying anything FOR SH......But you have to remember....

A idiot is an idiot-A dictator needs people to elevate him into being the King of All Idiots... :eek: :confused: :mad:

-------------------

BC,

Who was in the threesome? :eek: :D ;)

RICHARD
12-30-2006, 07:17 PM
And how many evil dictators does that leave in the world?

Let's see, they could be Republicans and Democrats, right? :confused:

-----------------

If god is the final judge I pray that it's not a cranky old broad like Judge Judy...
:eek: :mad: :(

wombat2u2004
12-30-2006, 08:15 PM

I'm with you on that one Junescrater, the man didn't even deserve to be fed, so why let him live.

buttercup132
12-30-2006, 08:21 PM
I thought hanging was illegal? Isn't that why there is death row for criminals (Dosent it mean they are in jail till they die?) Sorry to change the subject but I'm confused.

junescrater716
12-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks! You're the only one who agrees with me.

junescrater716
12-30-2006, 08:24 PM
I thought hanging was illegal? Isn't that why there is death row for criminals (Dosent it mean they are in jail till they die?) Sorry to change the subject but I'm confused.

Not for him it isn't. lol They were scared that someone would break him out. Since he was one of the most hated men around, I guess they had no choice but to hang him. He lucky he didn't get the electric chair. Ouch!!!

wombat2u2004
12-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks! You're the only one who agrees with me.

I think most people agree with you, I know that I most certainly do.
But of course we always have the soapboxers, and the dogooders who think they know all of the answers. I'm sure they are the highly vocal minority.
Everyone I have spoken to this morning in my Australian country town were all too glad of his execution....perhaps we are detached enough out here from the madness to see exactly what is right and what is wrong.
Wombat

buttercup132
12-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Enough said. This war has killed way too many innocent people for me to care about this. Killing Saddam isn't going to bring anyone's loved ones back. It isn't going to bring back the people he killed. It isn't going to bring back the thousands of innocent Iraqi children, or mothers, or fathers, that the US bombs killed. It isn't going to serve any purpose No it won't but don't you think that some how he would get out of jail? Don't you feel just a little better that he is gone and can't in any way hurt anyone anymore? I agree with the war has gone too far too and killing him will not help with anythign to do with that but what would be the point in keeping him alive? So him and his worshippers could figure out a way to set him free?

Not for him it isn't. lol They were scared that someone would break him out. Since he was one of the most hated men around, I guess they had no choice but to hang him. He lucky he didn't get the electric chair. Ouch!!! So did the people who hung him get charged with murder?
And is what is death row is it what I said?

GreyhoundGirl
12-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Actually, I believe that hanging and death penalty and things like that aren't illegal in some countries. Most? Yes. All? no.

junescrater716
12-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Enough said. This war has killed way too many innocent people for me to care about this. Killing Saddam isn't going to bring anyone's loved ones back. It isn't going to bring back the people he killed. It isn't going to bring back the thousands of innocent Iraqi children, or mothers, or fathers, that the US bombs killed. It isn't going to serve any purpose

It won't bring them back but now he can't hurt any more innocent people thats why they killed him so he couldn't hurt any MORE people.

zippy-kat
12-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Isn't that why there is death row for criminals (Dosent it mean they are in jail till they die?)

No, death row is where prisoners are waiting execution.

Edit: Well, in a sense I guess you are right.... they are waiting for death, only it isn't from old age but injection, electrocution, etc.

cyber-sibes
12-30-2006, 10:14 PM
... they are waiting for death, only it isn't from old age but injection, electrocution, etc.Except here in the States - where a criminal convicted by a jury of his peers can sit in a cell for decades, going through appeals, and finally die after having lived in prison (at taxpayers' expense) to a ripe old age.
Justice was served quickly. Personally, I don't have any problem with the "death sentence", because I believe in an after-life: you can't destroy a soul's energy, it just gets transformed. Sure, Saddam has to say bye-bye to this world, but he'll manifest somewhere else - like standing for judgement before the all-powerful Creator.

Edwina's Secretary
12-30-2006, 11:11 PM
But of course we always have the soapboxers, and the dogooders who think they know all of the answers.

I'm curious...is that as opposed to the dobadders who either DO know all the answers or do they also only think they know all the answers???

Catty1
12-30-2006, 11:32 PM
bc - Iraq does not have the same laws pertaining to death that the US does...I remember news reports saying that once he (or anyone) is sentenced to death, that the sentence has to be carried out within thiry days. So that means he is not even around for his second trial (I wondered about this, but you can't kill someone twice).

There are two men charged with him who were to be hanged at the same time he was.

I think Death Row in Iraq is a pretty short one, from the little I have seen.

Twisterdog
12-31-2006, 01:10 AM
bc - Iraq does not have the same laws pertaining to death that the US does...I remember news reports saying that once he (or anyone) is sentenced to death, that the sentence has to be carried out within thiry days. So that means he is not even around for his second trial (I wondered about this, but you can't kill someone twice).

There are two men charged with him who were to be hanged at the same time he was.

I think Death Row in Iraq is a pretty short one, from the little I have seen.

Not a bad idea at all, IMO.

popcornbird
12-31-2006, 03:22 AM
Junescrater, when did I say killing him is inhumane?????????

Buttercup, when did I say I wanted him alive?????

I only said he's now in God's hands, God will deal with him in His supreme justice, AND, it makes no difference to me either way. I really don't care. It doesn't matter to me. He's dead, fine...he's dead. Its not like its going to end the war, or prevent other evil people in this world from harming innocent people.

Learn to read and understand the English language. :p

wombat2u2004
12-31-2006, 05:37 AM
I'm curious...is that as opposed to the dobadders who either DO know all the answers or do they also only think they know all the answers???

Sometimes !!!!

lizbud
12-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Videos of his hanging are already flooding the web.The onlookers
jeered & taunted Saddam right to the end. He left the world shouting
and he did look scared before the trap door opened.

Kfamr
12-31-2006, 11:39 AM
The whole thing disgusts me.
I don't disagree with him dying however, why is there a need for people to watch? All there was needed was one person doing the deed and one person video taping it for those who needed proof. No one needed to be there shouting at him. There was no reason for onlookers. That made us sink to his level, in my opinion.

junescrater716
12-31-2006, 12:35 PM
Junescrater, when did I say killing him is inhumane?????????

Buttercup, when did I say I wanted him alive?????

I only said he's now in God's hands, God will deal with him in His supreme justice, AND, it makes no difference to me either way. I really don't care. It doesn't matter to me. He's dead, fine...he's dead. Its not like its going to end the war, or prevent other evil people in this world from harming innocent people.

Learn to read and understand the English language. :p

I didn't mean YOU I meant the other person. The first sentence was directed to you. lol

junescrater716
12-31-2006, 12:37 PM
The reason why it was put on tv was because the people from Iraq wanted to be sure that he really was dead. They wanted to be sure that they were free from his "rule".

K9soul
12-31-2006, 03:04 PM
I agree with you Kay, and the others who were bothered by the "celebratory" nature of this situation. It really creeps me out that people would want to hunt down a video and watch it happen. It creeps me out when people would act gleeful and celebratory of an execution. My feeling is it should be viewed as justice, with more an attitude of grimness, something that needed to be done, something his own people sentenced him to and carried out. Laughing and jeering and making a spectacle of it bothers me very much. This isn't directed at anyone here, just some attitudes in general I have seen around me. Something about the whole thing makes me uneasy, though I couldn't exactly say why. My belief is that his fate is in God's hands now, his soul is for God to judge.

RICHARD
12-31-2006, 03:47 PM
The Cincinnati Bengals fans are pushing to have Death by Hanging reinstated.

The new law will only apply to placekickers on the football team.

Husky15
12-31-2006, 04:06 PM
The whole thing disgusts me.
I don't disagree with him dying however, why is there a need for people to watch? All there was needed was one person doing the deed and one person video taping it for those who needed proof. No one needed to be there shouting at him. There was no reason for onlookers. That made us sink to his level, in my opinion.

Couldn't agree with you more.

lizbud
12-31-2006, 04:50 PM
No one needed to be there shouting at him. There was no reason for onlookers. That made us sink to his level, in my opinion.

kay. what us? He was tried in an Iragi court, by an Iragi judge, and
sentenced to death under Iragi law.Hanging is legal in that country.They
control the courts & set the" arena" for the execution (how many can be
in the room, etc.)

No one has to hunt down the link to the video. It was within an NBC
news website.

lizbud
12-31-2006, 04:55 PM
The Cincinnati Bengals fans are pushing to have Death by Hanging reinstated.

The new law will only apply to placekickers on the football team.

I'll have to check that play out on the sports news tonight. :D

mugsy
12-31-2006, 05:15 PM
What I don't understand is why so many Americans are having hissy fits about him being hanged when the Iraqi people are the people who convicted him and sentenced him to die and were happy when he did die. He was an evil despot who was responsible for incredible human suffering...is he the only one...not a chance...is there one fewer despots in the world...yes...does that make me happy?? You bet. I don't think there was ever anyone who said that Saddam's death would solve everything or end this war, but, it's one step...tiny as it may be...he's gone and cannot destroy any more lives, and for that I am beyond pleased. As far as hanging being inhumane...I don't think so...but, maybe in his time with the noose around his neck and before they dropped the bottom out, he knew a little of the fear that his victims knew before they were tortured and killed.

K9soul
12-31-2006, 05:23 PM
No one has to hunt down the link to the video. It was within an NBC
news website.

The actual video footage of the hanging happening, or the footage from Iraqi news that showed right up to the point of the noose being placed but did not show the actual hanging? I haven't seen either, but I read an article that described the videos. And I guess what I meant was people who jumped online the moment they heard and went looking for a video so they could watch a man die. I understand feeling of satisfaction that justice was done. To me there is a difference between that and feeling glee as in 'YES! woohoo! I can't wait to see the video of his neck snapping!"

If anyone here does feel that way, that's their right. But I can't help but feel disturbed by it.

junescrater716
12-31-2006, 06:04 PM
go to ebaumsworld.com and you can see the hanging. :o :eek:

lizbud
12-31-2006, 06:09 PM
The Indy Channel is a local TV news site. It's one I read every day.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/10640601/detail.html

Edwina's Secretary
12-31-2006, 06:52 PM
What I don't understand is why so many Americans are having hissy fits about him being hanged when the Iraqi people are the people who convicted him and sentenced him to die and were happy when he did die.

Interesting...hissy fit. As I recall they were some people who had "hissy fits" about wanting to take out Saddam. But of course...the US had NOTHING to do with it? It was just the Iraqi people...right....

I find it interesting too, that some people who said the reason we went to Iraq in the first place was to get rid of Saddam (since there was no connection with 9/11 and no WMD) are now saying....taking Saddam out won't solve anything.

So tell me again...WHY are our sons and daughters dying there? Why are so many lives being destroyed there?

I am with Kay on this.

Vela
12-31-2006, 07:04 PM
But the question begs, why would anyone WANT to see a hanging? That's digusting and kinda sick to me, that anyone wants to watch someone else die, even if they felt they deserved it. I find it horrfying that anyone would actually film it or post it anywhere and that people would actually watch it.

Argranade
12-31-2006, 07:22 PM
Sorry to say this but honestly I think only a looder would watch that video. :mad:

Pam
12-31-2006, 07:22 PM
I find it interesting too, that some people who said the reason we went to Iraq in the first place was to get rid of Saddam (since there was no connection with 9/11 and no WMD) are now saying....taking Saddam out won't solve anything.

Who are these *some people?* Names please. When someone says to me *some people* or *they say* it makes me crazy. Without names/sources a statement like that has no meaning.

wombat2u2004
12-31-2006, 07:31 PM
What I don't understand is why so many Americans are having hissy fits about him being hanged when the Iraqi people are the people who convicted him and sentenced him to die and were happy when he did die. He was an evil despot who was responsible for incredible human suffering...is he the only one...not a chance...is there one fewer despots in the world...yes...does that make me happy?? You bet. I don't think there was ever anyone who said that Saddam's death would solve everything or end this war, but, it's one step...tiny as it may be...he's gone and cannot destroy any more lives, and for that I am beyond pleased. As far as hanging being inhumane...I don't think so...but, maybe in his time with the noose around his neck and before they dropped the bottom out, he knew a little of the fear that his victims knew before they were tortured and killed.

So very well said.
I applaud you !!!
Wombat

Edwina's Secretary
12-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Who are these *some people?* Names please. When someone says to me *some people* or *they say* it makes me crazy. Without names/sources a statement like that has no meaning.

Geroge Bush....and his gang???

I am sorry Pam...I was trying to avoid pointing out that the person who, earlier in the thread said.... "I don't think there was ever anyone who said that Saddam's death would solve everything or end this war, but, it's one step.." had previously said that was the reason we sent our children to Iraq.

I was trying to be polite and less confrontational.

My point is...I believe it hypocritical to say the execution of Saddam was just the action of the Iraqi people. Isn't that why George Bush said we went to Iraq?

Pam
12-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Geroge Bush....and his gang???

I am sorry Pam...I was trying to avoid pointing out that the person who, earlier in the thread said.... "I don't think there was ever anyone who said that Saddam's death would solve everything or end this war, but, it's one step.." had previously said that was the reason we sent our children to Iraq.

I was trying to be polite and less confrontational.

My point is...I believe it hypocritical to say the execution of Saddam was just the action of the Iraqi people. Isn't that why George Bush said we went to Iraq?

As I recall GW said we were going into Iraq to get rid of the WMD. I never heard him say we were going in there to rid Iraq of Saddam although I will agree that was *a given.* I don't believe for a minute that GW thinks that getting rid of Saddam is going to solve Iraq's problems.

Do you really think that if the Iraqi people were not in favor of ending his regime we would have still gone in? I am not trying to be flippant, I am just not understanding what you are saying...

Edwina's Secretary
12-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Pam...you know you and I disagree on this. You took offense at me using the expression "some people" yet the post I quoted used the words...

so many Americans are having hissy fits

I don't see the difference. Who are these "so many Americans?"

The current adminstration nor anyone else has any idea how to get out of the mess they got this country into...that frightens me.

But I cannot understand the blood lust of watching a man's execution. Even an evil man. There was a time in this country where hangings were "events" that drew big crowds. I guess that hasn't really changed.

I do not know what the real reason was for the invasion of Iraq. We have been told too many different stories.

It is just so sad....

K9soul
12-31-2006, 09:22 PM
But I cannot understand the blood lust of watching a man's execution. Even an evil man. There was a time in this country where hangings were "events" that drew big crowds. I guess that hasn't really changed.

I kept thinking about that analogy myself. When I was younger and watched westerns with my mom I couldn't believe that townsfolk gathered to watch hangings and made it a celebration/picnic affair. I was amazed by that. At that time I figured surely people would never do that now. I don't feel the slightest desire or curiosity to see any footage of it myself.

wombat2u2004
12-31-2006, 10:04 PM
I kept thinking about that analogy myself. When I was younger and watched westerns with my mom I couldn't believe that townsfolk gathered to watch hangings and made it a celebration/picnic affair. I was amazed by that. At that time I figured surely people would never do that now. I don't feel the slightest desire or curiosity to see any footage of it myself.

But most humans are like that....yes ??? That is why they flock to the movies to see the blood and guts, and slow down on a highway to get a glimpse of some poor accident victim.
So what is it ??? Some kind of perversion ??? Or just simply human nature ???
And do they view that poor accident victim and the hanging of Saddam Hussein in the same light ???? I think not. I believe that the guy who was hanged in your western movie was the bad guy ???? Am I right ??? Which is aimed at an audience who like to know that sometimes...justice is done.
If I see an accident victim laying by the side of the road coughing up his last blood.....I feel so sick, and sorry for the poor unfortunate. When I see Saddam Hussien swinging on a rope....I feel glad....simply that...GLAD.
There is a difference...yes ???
Wombat

junescrater716
01-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Sorry to say this but honestly I think only a looder would watch that video. :mad:

Gee thanks. I'm 13 it's like that old saying "curiosity killed the cat" all teens are curious it's like our job. lol

RICHARD
01-01-2007, 01:11 AM

No kidding...

I want to know who had the threesome! :mad:

----------------

When Nick Berg had his head cut off a local radio station played the audio protion of the tape.

Didn't need to see it.....nor any other 'snuff film"

---------------

The current administration ran the same plan that any other president had...

He looked into a crystal ball and said, This is what we will do!

Then the Lord sayeth, "LO! Your plan is great! Let's see how it holds up when people start shooting at each other!"

--------------------

Some Americans were complaining about how we were on Saddam's side once upon a time.....

Those same people want to open up a dialog with terrorists.

Like WTFATT?

That's what happened with OBL too!

The stupidity behind that logic is beyond comprehension...

---------------------

All the people who oppose the war promised that we would get Blood for Oil.

I am still waiting for my oil.

-----------------------

P.S. The weapons of GAS destruction SH used against the Kurds and Iranians
was really a joke, We didn't find any, did we? :confused:

Edwina's Secretary
01-01-2007, 11:00 AM
P.S. The weapons of GAS destruction SH used against the Kurds and Iranians
was really a joke, We didn't find any, did we? :confused:

No, but we do still have the receipts.....

RICHARD, the issue was not whether Iraq HAD WMD....we knew they did...we were involved in supplying some of them...the issue was whether they STILL had those weapons...in violation of the UN Sanctions. A very big difference....

RICHARD
01-01-2007, 01:38 PM

RICHARD, the issue was not whether Iraq HAD WMD....we knew they did...we were involved in supplying some of them...the issue was whether they STILL had those weapons...in violation of the UN Sanctions. A very big difference....

Well it sure didn't help his case that he acted like he still had them.....ask the UN inspectors about the warm welcome they got while searching.

-----------------

So what can we help Iran with?

Plutonium? Uranium? Some electric guidance systems?

I think that our benevolent nature should be enacted in 2007.

Let's just give them the bomb. that way we can get the preliiminaries out
of the way-and we can say-all together.......

WE GAVE THEM THE BOMB!

Twisterdog
01-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Good point.

Think we could deduct that on our taxes, if we itemize?

Charitable Donations to Despots - $876 billion dollars

;)

RICHARD
01-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Good point.

Think we could deduct that on our taxes, if we itemize?

Charitable Donations to Despots - $876 billion dollars

;)

Dude!

I need a calculator! :eek:

lizbud
01-15-2007, 05:08 PM
They executed Saddam's half brother and another one of his cohorts
today. They say one of the men was decapitated by the hanging. :confused:

Saddam's Half Brother Beheaded In Hanging

UPDATED: 9:43 am EST January 15, 2007

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Two top aides to Saddam Hussein were hanged before dawn Monday, and the head of one of them -- the former Iraqi dictator's half brother Barzan Ibrahim -- was severed from his body during the execution, a government official said.

Two weeks and two days after Saddam was executed in an unruly scene that has drawn worldwide criticism, government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh stressed that all laws and rules were respected during Monday's hanging of Ibrahim, the former intelligence chief, and Awad Hamed al-Bandar, head of Iraq's Revolutionary Court.

"Those present signed documents pledging not to violate the rules or otherwise face legal penalties. All the people present abided by the government's rule and there were no violations," he said, adding the hangings occurred at 3 a.m. "No one shouted slogans or said anything that would taint the execution. None of those charged were insulted."

The official government video of the side-by-side hanging that was shown to a small group of reporters, including one from The Associated Press, showed Ibrahim and al-Bandar wearing red prison jumpsuits. As they reached the gallows, black hoods were put on their heads and five masked men surrounded them.

After the trap doors opened, al-Bandar could be seen dangling from the rope. Ibrahim's body was lying on the floor, chest down, his still-hooded severed head resting several yards away.

The execution was conducted on the same gallows where Saddam was hanged Dec. 30 in a building located in the Shiite neighborhood of Kazimiyah. Government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said the gallows were built to international standards and in accordance with human rights organizations.

"We will not release the video, but we want to show the truth," he said. "The Iraqi government acted in a neutral way."

Prosecutor Jaafar al-Moussawi said Ibrahim looked tense when he was brought into the room and said "I did not do anything. It was all the work of Fadel al-Barrak." Ibrahim was referring to a former head of two intelligence departments."

The government came under widespread condemnation because of Saddam's chaotic execution in which video of the hanging, recorded on a cell phone camera, showed the former dictator being taunted on the gallows.

Ibrahim and al-Bandar had been found guilty along with Saddam in the killing of 148 Shiite Muslims after a 1982 assassination attempt on the former leader in the town of Dujail north of Baghdad.

The announcement drew outrage from some in the Sunni community while majority Shiites who were heavily persecuted under Saddam's regime expressed joy.

Khalaf al-Olayan, a leader of the main Sunni bloc in parliament, demanded to see any video taken during the execution.

"It is impossible for a person to be decapitated during a hanging," he told Al-Jazeera television. "This shows that they (the government) have mutilated the body and this is a violation of the law."

"We want to see the video that was taken during the execution of the two men in order for them (government) to prove what they are saying," he added.

A government official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to disclose the information, said the families of Ibrahim and al-Bandar would collect the bodies later Monday.

The two men were to have been hanged along with Saddam, but Iraqi authorities decided to execute the former dictator alone on what National Security Adviser Mowaffak al-Rubaie called a "special day."

Last week, President Jalal Talabani urged the government to delay the executions but gave no explanation during a news conference with U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad.

On Tuesday, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said that Khalilzad asked him to delay Saddam's execution for 10 days to two weeks, but added that Iraqi officials rejected the demand.

Freckles
01-15-2007, 06:12 PM
T"It is impossible for a person to be decapitated during a hanging,"
This is not true. The length of rope must be calculated carefully to the weight of the person.
There are charts on the web describing this.

lizbud
01-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Quote:

"Khalaf al-Olayan, a leader of the main Sunni bloc in parliament, demanded to see any video taken during the execution.

"It is impossible for a person to be decapitated during a hanging," he told Al-Jazeera television. "This shows that they (the government) have mutilated the body and this is a violation of the law."

"We want to see the video that was taken during the execution of the two men in order for them (government) to prove what they are saying," he added.
"

Well this guy doesn't believe it and I have never heard of such a thing
either. It just sounds weird.

Freckles
01-15-2007, 06:25 PM
It's true. I learned this a few years ago when a very bad Vancouver man was hanged.
Try a search on the web and you can even find a chart with the information.

The things we can find on the web!

Twisterdog
01-15-2007, 06:55 PM
According to MSNBC News Services, 2:46 p.m. MT Jan 15, 2007, BAGHDAD, Iraq:

"Hangmen gauge the length of rope needed to snap the neck of the condemned but not to create enough force to sever the head.

Saleem al-Jibouri, a senior Sunni Arab lawmaker, said Ibrahim's body might have been weakened by the cancer he was suffering."

Vela
01-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Umm ewwwwww!