PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Pergo floors?

ashleycat
12-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Our carpet has soo much pee in it we need to pull it up. Gone thru Charlie's marking to Runners accidents and even human toddler potty training accidents lol.

If Runner has an accident on pergo, will it seep in the seams if I don't get to it right away?

Pam
12-27-2006, 04:40 AM
I have heard that the Pergo will "lift" if it is repeatedly exposed to water. For that reason one has to be careful when things spills. I had it put down this summer in my kitchen and powder room and the hallway leading to the powder room and am very careful to get up drips, etc. quickly.

The one notable thing, when you have dogs in a house with Pergo, is that it is very slippery. When I walk on mine with socks it feels like walking on glass. It took Bella and Ripley a day or two to get used to it and then they learned how to navigate on it. :) My granddog, Harlee, is here for several days and has been having quite a hard time. When she gets excited and walks too fast she goes *splat* and believe me, when a 90 lb. dog goes *splat* she goes down quickly. I was so worried about her that I have temporaily laid an old green comforter on the floor which sort of leads through the kitchen to the back door so she can walk across easier on her way to go potty. It is rather unsightly :o but seems to be working. If she walks she is OK but running still means *splat.* Hope that helped. :)

Here is Harlee trying to come across the kitchen floor. You can see that her toes are spread out for *traction* and her tongue is sticking out a little. :) It is like watching someone who is walking across a balance beam and when they get to the end they race through those last two steps. :p

Logan
12-27-2006, 07:26 AM
OK, here's my opinion.

I have Pergo flooring in my kitchen, den and hallway. Looks great, easy to maintain, but for the reasons Pam stated, I absolutely HATE it. Laminate flooring is incredibly slippery, for humans and dogs. And yes, if water is left on it, over and over, for a period of time, it does start to buckle. Ours is buckled where the dog's water bowl sits, even though I try and try to keep it dry. Don't get me wrong. I am not a fan of carpet, so I'd rather have what I have than carpet, but I do worry about my dogs injuring themselves because of how slippery it is. My choice in flooring is natural oak or pine flooring, which is sealed with several coats polyurethane. That is the best experience I have had for my dogs, kids and me!

Good luck.
Logan

pitc9
12-27-2006, 07:32 AM
I echo the above!

Poor Buddy looks like a deer on ice on my new pergo floor in the kitchen, and I close my eyes and cringe everytime I hear him spinning out on it. :eek:
I'm so afraid I'm going to find nail marks all over it. But so far I've not found any.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-27-2006, 07:33 AM
I had Pergo floors in my old house. I loved them and plan on putting them in the bedrooms of this house. Like Pam said they are slippery, my dogs did really well on them though. I too was always careful to get drips and spills up off of them quickly. I really don't know how they would do with pee.

Rachel
12-27-2006, 08:25 AM
For unreliable dogs, I would go with sheet vinyl. I know that doesn't sound like what one would want in a family room, living room, or dining room, but if you could find the right patterned product it might be better than spotted carpet or warped Pergo. Many years ago the magazines used to show the vinyl in those types of rooms and it always looked appropriate in the pictures.

4 Dog Mother
12-27-2006, 08:31 AM
I do not have pergo floors but have been looking into them. They way they are made as in long sheets that fit together -now also comes in a tile look - I don't know if they would be any less slippery or not but it might be something to look into. I think Home Depot, Lowes and Menards all carry this type of flooring. Good luck in whatever you decide!

critter crazy
12-27-2006, 10:46 AM
This summer we got Our whole house done in Pergo. I love it!! I hated carpeting, and all the stains that you could see. Withh all the animals that come in and out of our house, living on a farm, having 2 kids, and of course a mechanic for a husband, carpeting was not for us!!:rolleyes: So we decided to pergo the whole house, and i just love it!! yes you do have to be careful with getting it wet, but that is a small price to pay, for having a floor that looks so nice all the time!! It is so much easier to clean!! Duke has no problems on the floor, only took him a day to get used to it! He has also learned how to slide on it on purpose!!! So has our cat Loki!!:D If I ever move, i will do it all over again!!

Now as far as the floor getting contantly wet, if you havent gotten the flooring in yet, there is a sealant that the contractor, or yourself can put in between the joints to keep water out! Just ask for it, cause it is not something they will do automatically.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-27-2006, 04:09 PM
For unreliable dogs, I would go with sheet vinyl. I know that doesn't sound like what one would want in a family room, living room, or dining room, but if you could find the right patterned product it might be better than spotted carpet or warped Pergo. Many years ago the magazines used to show the vinyl in those types of rooms and it always looked appropriate in the pictures. My friend has linoleum flooring that looks like wood, it looks really nice. Light colored linoleum often yellows, but the darker colors (like the wood looking kind) don't yellow and you can't see stains as easily either.

ashleycat
12-27-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm not really worried about color staining lol. It's what soaks through to the pad and can't come up. I get to the mess usually before it dries. It's what's beneath is the problem.

Twisterdog
12-27-2006, 11:11 PM
I have Pergo in all the rooms of the house that the dogs go in. It's WONDERFUL. We have eight dogs now, one of which marks whenever he gets the chance. But I used to have numerous rescue and foster dogs, in various stages of housetraining. It's GREAT. I have no seams that are coming up, and it's been wet more than a few times, to be sure.

I've never really noticed it being slick. I have a bad knee, and my old, fat heeler only has three legs. We both walk it with no problems.

Dorothy39
12-27-2006, 11:31 PM
I wish we had something other than *real*Pine Wood Floors in this house~ :rolleyes: Pergo flooring might have been so much better~

We've have Numerous Dogs in this house, over the years since we installed it~ (1990)~

So, by now, we have to refinish it ~ And, I don't look forward to the job either.

Pergo versus pine~ Right now , I wonder :cool:

BC_MoM
12-28-2006, 12:14 AM
We have it through half of the house and love it. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
12-28-2006, 08:06 AM
I'm not really worried about color staining lol. It's what soaks through to the pad and can't come up. I get to the mess usually before it dries. It's what's beneath is the problem.
Sorry, I didn't mean that the linoleum stains from the pee, though it may. I meant that light colored linoleum often yellows on it's own as it ages.

ashleycat
12-28-2006, 10:37 AM
OH I know lol. I'm just saying I'm worried about it going to the padding. So if there is a carpet that doesn't let it get to the padding ;) I'll look into the linoleum too. Doyou know how long it lasts?

junescrater716
12-28-2006, 12:00 PM
When floors lift from water exposure it's called buckling. All linoleum, wood, or hard floors do that. We have those easy snap in floors and they work great!!! My dad works at Lowes in flooring so I can talk to him for you if you want! :)

BitsyNaceyDog
12-28-2006, 03:12 PM
OH I know lol. I'm just saying I'm worried about it going to the padding. So if there is a carpet that doesn't let it get to the padding ;) I'll look into the linoleum too. Doyou know how long it lasts?
I have no idea. It probably depends on the brand and how much 'abuse' it gets.

When floors lift from water exposure it's called buckling. All linoleum, wood, or hard floors do that.
The sheet linoleum shouldn't do that. I'm sure the linoleum tiles do though if water seeps through the seams.

mr.chiwawa
12-29-2006, 03:52 AM
I dont have the pergo floors I put the mannington brand throughout my entire apartment. And i love them. Mister(my chihuahua) had a few accidents when I first brought him home and it never caused any problems. Also i dont know how pergo is but with the mannington I can take the colorx wipes and put them on my swiffer and run that around the house to disenfect the floors and I dont get any bubbling or such from the water. I have also many a times dropped things on it and its fine. Yes I will agree that it is a bit slick for mister but since then he has learned that and takes it easy when running throughout and around conners.So I suppose it all comes down to personal prefence. GOOD LUCK :D

mruffruff
12-29-2006, 08:00 PM
I put Pergo in most of my house this summer. With a 30 year warranty, I figured it had to be a good product.

I have three dogs and 12 cats. The dogs are careful about how they walk on it, but only have trouble when they try to get on the bed. I have an area rug in the livingroom and bedroom for looks and comfort.

I usually wipe up spills or 'accidents' immediately. I missed a spot overnight and in the morning found a lifted section about 3 inches long.

I clean it with a Swiffer type mop. But I have to sweep up the sand and hair first. Those pads just don't do a good job on the mess my guys make. Sometimes I get down on my knees and wash and dry.

I put seamless vinyl in my kitchen. It isn't slippery. It's a dark color so the dirt doesn't show. It cleans very easily. And i don't have to worry about the dogs (and cats) sloppy drinking habits.

I really wish I had gone with vinyl throughout. It comes in woodgrain patterns as well as stone (my choice) and almost anything you want. Vinyl lasts about 10 years under normal wear. Hardwood floors need to be refinished every 3 to 5 years.

The cost of vinyl is about half of laminate if you install it yourself. My 11X14 kitchen cost $1300. installed. I have a peninsula that would be hard to get right, so I chose not to do it myself. For normal, straight walled rooms, it should be fairly easy to do.