PDA

View Full Version : Problems in Potty Training

junescrater716
12-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Our new puppy Ollie doesn't like to go outside so hes does his buisness in the house. Every time he does it, we put him outside and then he just scratches at the window. How do we get him to go potty without going in the house and without using a crate?

borzoimom
12-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Junes- you need to go back to basics- remember he is in a new environment- if you can not watch him, take him out then crate him. Watch for sudden wild activity, sniffing, after he eats or drinks. Or play with Curly...

lizbud
12-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Our new puppy Ollie doesn't like to go outside so hes does his buisness in the house. Every time he does it, we put him outside and then he just scratches at the window. How do we get him to go potty without going in the house and without using a crate?

The trick is to take him out before he pees, not after.I really think if you go outside with your dog when he's first learning & give the command to
go potty, then praise like mad, they seem to unnderstand what you are asking
of them. You have to be very proactive during the training phase.

junescrater716
12-26-2006, 06:02 PM
thats what we're doing. Only he pees and poos without us knowing or we'll see him in the process of it and the put him outside

borzoimom
12-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Junes- to remind you what agilityk9trainer's famous quotes I just love- ( something like..) " when you get a new puppy, get a thick newspaper, roll the newspaper tightly, put a thick rubber band on both ends- and when the puppy does something- smack YOURSELF on the head- you should have been watching THE DOG.."... It does take deligence in watching the puppy, and offer to go out more than you think the puppy would- the light will come on.. then you are on a roll..

junescrater716
12-26-2006, 09:10 PM
We have no problem with him wandering away it's just the x-mas tree makes him think he's outside I think. I made a barrier with chairs keeping him away from that area. lol

Karen
12-26-2006, 09:22 PM
If you need to, keep him on a leash - attached to your arm - at all time. Take him outside ten minutes after he eats anything, and stay outside until he "does his business" - you may get bored out there, but it is important to get him trained a soon as possible, so he doesn't get the idea that doing his business inside is okay.

When he's outside and does his stuff, praise him like crazy.

junescrater716
12-26-2006, 10:35 PM
he's doing better he only peed once today on the hardwood floor.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-27-2006, 07:50 AM
If you need to, keep him on a leash - attached to your arm - at all time. Take him outside ten minutes after he eats anything, and stay outside until he "does his business" - you may get bored out there, but it is important to get him trained a soon as possible, so he doesn't get the idea that doing his business inside is okay.

When he's outside and does his stuff, praise him like crazy.

That's what I was going to suggest too. When I got my min pin, Charlie, he was 2 years old and not a bit house trained. I always kept him on a leash, even in the house. When he couldn't be on a leash he was in his crate (when I was in the shower, or when I had to go to work, etc.). Keeping him on a leash outside while training him will also help (even if you have a fenced yard). Praise him when he goes potty outside, but don't scold him when he goes inside.

Also remember that he is just a baby and he can't hold it too long. He needs to go out often. He also shouldn't be left in his crate longer than a couple hours.