PDA

View Full Version : A No Kill shelter tail

Freedom
12-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Sitting in a doctor's office, reading Reader's Digest, I came across an article about Nathan Winograd. He was an attorney in California; both he and his wife are great animal lovers. He prosecuted animal abuse cases.

He left that job and took the helm at a shelter in New York, one which had a high kill rate. And he has turned it into a no kill shelter!

The article said he had been on the job about a week when a staffer came to him and said, they just had 5 new animals com ein (I an't recall dogs, cats, mix of each), there were no empty cages, and who should they kill to make room for the newest arrivals? And he said "What's Plan B?" Killing just wasn't an option, any longer. It took some shuffling of animals and doubling up a few for a short term, but they got the newbies housed. And things just took off from there.

I thought it was a nice story, so I found the link to his shelter. He has written lots of guidelines for different aspects of rescue.

http://www.bestfriends.org/nomorehomelesspets/resourcelibrary/adoptionsindex.cfm

catmandu
12-25-2006, 06:58 PM
I have reda that PETA is against No Kill Shelters as the Older Pets are doomed to a life in cages, and will be bored with thier lives , and thats its more humane to have them PTS.
I disagree as once they are gone, they cant be adopted.
I wonder what the opinions on Pet Talk would be?

Grace
12-25-2006, 08:01 PM
I read that same article. What a wonderful person he is.