PDA

View Full Version : Sylvester & The Squirrel

Nitroluene
12-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Here is a little story I had shared some months back around July of this year and I think for years to come I will never forget this day....

Today my buddy Sylvester the Pussy Cat decided to bring me in a live squirrel. What a mess!
Sylvester comes into the den and just drops the squirrel at my feet while I'm sitting at the desk. It was kind of cute the way he come in with this big old squirrel between his jaws going..MEOOOW MEOWWW>>>MWOOOOWWWWEE...Really loud..
The squirrel flinging itself left and right trying so hard to get out of his mouth before Sly just drops him off.
He drops the little guy at my feet and instinct in the squirrel takes over and he freezes in place, not making a move, at least for the moment. In the mean time Sly looks up at me, (hey dad brought you a gift, you hungry?) then he just walks back out of the den and leaves...going back out side to hunt and play some more I suppose.
You should of seen me, I go to the kitchen and get a pair of my wife's oven mitts to protect my hands and proceed to chasing this silly squirrel around my den and then throughout the house for well over an hour, the darn squirrel going into places I couldn't possibly get in to. Out into the kitchen, under the table, up on top of the table, over and under the kitchen table chairs then on into the living room. Up the wife's expensive designer drapes she had just had hung the week before! Under the couch, love seat and then into my entertainment center!
Winded and panting as though I had just finished running a marathon I finally gave up and called animal control. In our little town we have to call our little police station to get the animal control sent out and needless to say the officer at the other end of the line was having himself a good laugh on me...I found no humor in it at the time!
Finally about an hour and a half later the animal control person comes out. I take him into the living room and with him he has a long pole with a loop on the end they normally use to collect stray dogs with. We spot the squirrel hunched up under the coffee table and within a matter of moments he has the squirrel in the loop.
I kind of felt sorry for the squirrel, he had it in the loop and that steel cable just squishing the squirrel around it's middle. It was squealing and squeaking like a stuck pig!
He then proceeded to place the squirrel in a cage in his truck? I asked him, why not just let him go back to nature where he belongs? He says, I don't want your cat catching him again!
I thought to myself, what kind of friggin logic is that? There are still hundreds of squirrels around to fill this squirrels spot! "we live on three acres with oak & elm trees surrounding the property".
I say to myself, Ron you made a pack years ago never to argue with a drunk, moron or fool, so I just kept my mouth shut as well thinking,
Oh well, that's what happens when you live in Texas, I was certain he was related to George Bush in one way or another..?
Well, this little story doesn't quit end there. Weeks later, the bites that Sylvester had received from the squirrel started to close and fester. At one point it was touch a go for Sly since on bite by his neck festered and swelled so badly that it was closing his breathing passageway and had I not taken him to his Vet Doctor when I had he would of surely choked to death over night. Sylvester and I made four trips to see his doctor over the month to have these festered bites lanced and he was on antibiotics for over two months to assure the swelling would subside.
All and all, I have watched Sylvester and now he just watches the squirrels intently in the yard but he has not since tried to catch one and keep it as a pet.
I can only thank god because that little stunt cost me well over $400.00 in doctor bills!
Now if I can just get him to stop bringing in the live birds and releasing them into our world, (yes, alive. He never kills them) things would be so much more at peace around here and I could get back to my early retirement I had work long hard hours to achieve, and yet, I just don't think my little buddy is ever going to allow me to find that peace and quiet I so much looked forward too.
Oh well, I just couldn't imagine a day go by without my little friend under feet or trying to keep me fed.
Oh, P.S. Sylvester does kill all the mice he has ever found, but he saves them for my desert. He places them in my slippers so when I awake in the morning, breakfast is served!
Hey, with a buddy like this, who needs a dumb dog!

Kalei
12-25-2006, 01:53 PM
lol cute.:D Merry Christmas!

Laura's Babies
12-25-2006, 05:14 PM
:eek: WHAT A HUNTER! That is a wonderful story about such a funny incident. Weren't you pleased that he brought you such a gift? Don't you feel honored at the gifts he still brings for his favorite human? LOL! He is such a hunter that you should be really proud of him...

I had a cat that use to bring in birds and moles, sometimes mice and turn the loose in the house so she would have something to play with when we were gone during the day. I fussed and fussed at my kids for bringing these things in the house and it was the cat doing it!

By the way, he is also a very handsome boy.

Freedom
12-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Next time you have live catch delivered to you indoors, start by closing doors to as many rooms as you can. That limits the route of the marathon.

Then, grab a camera; we all want to SEE! :D

catmandu
12-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Fortunately when the Porch Cats bring something in, its dead and there no chasing little animals about.
Thats too bad that your Cats hunting instincts almost cost him his life, and you 400 Dollars.