PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Adventures Explained

Soapets
12-24-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm going to try to explain HOW the "Virtual Adventures" of Annie and Willy, (and of others over time on PT) are done, to help clear things up and avoid futher confusion!

For those of you who don't know already, Willy and Annie have a "virtual internet romance" going on. Lorraine and I have posted pictures of Willy and Annie intermittently since they were both babies, with captions indicating they were probably wishing they could be together, etc. We have always gotten wonderful reviews from PT'ers when we have done this, and have had a lot of fun with it.

The idea of having Willy and Annie "send" theirselves to each other for Christmas this year, each without the other knowing about it, came to me last January. In December last year, Lorraine and I had both posted pictures of Willy and Annie at our own homes, in Christmas boxes or packages or bags, and put captions on the pictures indicating that the cats were probably wishing they could send themselves to each other. I contacted Lorraine by PM about the idea then, and she agreed to do it. We contacted Michelle (kittycats_delight) in November of this year, to ask her if she would help us by doing the work with the photos. She also agreed to it.

Lorraine and I have been taking pictures of Willy and Annie at our own homes, and have been PM'ing them to Michelle, who then manipulates the photos to make it look as if Willy is now at my house and Annie is now at her house. She then PM's them back to us, and we can post them as if they are real. The picture of Annie at the airport was done in the same way, and we have more to post if people want this "Virtual Adventure" to continue. If people DON'T want it to continue, we will put a stop to it.

We have learned a very valuable lesson about not making the "missing" messages so believable, and we have apologized for that part of this virtual adventure. We have also changed the titles on those original threads, and tried to make amends the best we can.

In the process of all this, the virtual thread about Willy being "kitnapped" in 2005 has also surfaced, and that has added to the confusion. That was a very popular thread back when it was done, and LOTS of PT'ers participated in that one. NO IT IS NOT REAL! That was one the first threads I ever saw where a virtual adventure was done, and had a big part in leading me to think up the idea for this current "virtual adventure" that Annie and Willy are on.

That being said, we would like to take a poll as to whether or not to continue Willy's and Annie's virtual adventure. Please vote if you'd like to, and we'll abide by whatever the PT'ers decide here!

moosmom
12-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks for explaining it. I was totally confused by the whole thing. I adore Annie and Willie and am just relieved that it was only a virtual thing going on, and not a true story about cats being kidnapped.

jenluckenbach
12-24-2006, 01:59 PM
I don't care whether you continue with this "adventure" or not.

I have never been a fan of ANY of the virtual threads. I hate coming to pet talk at Valentine's day because more than half the threads are "this cat loves that cat"....etc., etc., a true waste of time. And I think the "party threads" are totally over done!

Some of the truely original ideas (like the cruise ship) were fun, but it gets old real fast.

I might post in these types once in a while, to help the topic starter feel good, but for the most part, I could do totally without them.

But telling people cats are missing when you KNOW how much we all care for each others pets (like our own) ..... went too far. :(

So, this is my opinion. I will just continue to avoid virtual threads.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-24-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't care whether you continue with this "adventure" or not.
But telling people cats are missing when you KNOW how much we all care for each others pets (like our own) ..... went too far. :(
I have to agree with you Jen. I take prayer very seriously. Now to find it was all a joke. Well, it will be a while before I can forget this. I was so worried about Willie and Annie. I forgive it yes, but forget, well, not yet. :(

Soapets
12-24-2006, 02:13 PM
After reading your response, jenluckenbach, I'm wondering if this site could have a forum specifically FOR virtual adventures in each of the pet sections. That way there would never be any confusion over it like this has caused. People who enjoy them could go to the forum that is totally made up of virtual adventures like this. People who don't enjoy them could avoid them entirely. I'll have to post something about this in the Townhall forum. Thanks for your input. Hopefully something positive can come out of this yet! :)

Miss Z
12-24-2006, 02:15 PM
I only skim read the last threads on the matter and was getting a little confused. However now all is explained and its only intent was a bit of fun, I see nothing wrong with it continuing.

Edwina's Secretary
12-24-2006, 02:17 PM
I think someof the virtual thread have been great fun. Sometimes it feels good to be silly in this all too serious life.

Go for it!

Barbara
12-24-2006, 02:27 PM
I've said it before: I love the virtual threads and I had lots of fun in them.
This one mixed me up too- but I know you didn't intend it.
I want to continue :)

I am sorry that all your good and fun intentions did not work out.

Karen
12-24-2006, 02:32 PM
I think that we should have a new practice: any "Virtual Adventure" should have it's thread title start that way - Virtual Adventure: Willy's been kitnapped" for example, so that everyone who even just sees the thread title will know to skip it if they do not enjoy such things.

Killearn Kitties
12-24-2006, 02:38 PM
The threads where our kitties go off and have adventures are my favourite threads on the board. I love the creativity of them, the humour, and the amazing photo manipulation that some people can do.

I do understand though, why people were confused on this one. The original posts sounded very real. I do hope that you can find a way to tell us the whole story, because the graphics that we have already seen are lovely, and perhaps in all of this to-ing and fro-ing, there will be a way for me to finally get my hands on Willy! A-HA-HA-HA!

GreyhoundGirl
12-24-2006, 02:39 PM
I was wondering why people were being rude (seemingly) when they heard your baby was kidnapped. I thought some of the responses seemed un-caring. But it sorta makes sense now. Thanks for explaining it. :)

Photo manipulation... WHAT? I'm confused again.

It's a confusing life. But things are never boring!

kittycats_delight
12-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Photo manipulation... WHAT? I'm confused again.

Photo manipulation is where you take 2 photos and make them one. For example by taking a picture of a meadow filled with flowers and nothing else and then taking a second photo with your dog and taking your dog from the original photo and putting her into the photo with the flower filled meadow.

Understand?

:)

GreyhoundGirl
12-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Photo manipulation is where you take 2 photos and make them one. For example by taking a picture of a meadow filled with flowers and nothing else and then taking a second photo with your dog and taking your dog from the original photo and putting her into the photo with the flower filled meadow.

Understand?

:)

Yea, I know what it is, but I haven't seen any. If some people are good at it I'd like to see the finished product. Where might I find this picture?

kittycats_delight
12-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Yea, I know what it is, but I haven't seen any. If some people are good at it I'd like to see the finished product. Where might I find this picture?

Ooops sorry I misunderstood why you were confused. You can find example of it right here (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=118817)

Soapets
12-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Look in this thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=118817) and you will see plenty of these pictures. Willy is NOT really at my house, but Michelle took some pictures of him from Lorraine, and inserted his picture into the pictures from me, to make it APPEAR as if he is really at my house.

This (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=118824) also has a picture of Little Orphan Annie superimposed into a picture taken at an airport, so that it appears that Little Orphan Annie is really there.

Grace
12-24-2006, 03:03 PM
I also agree with Jen.

Taz_Zoee
12-24-2006, 03:07 PM
I think that we should have a new practice: any "Virtual Adventure" should have it's thread title start that way - Virtual Adventure: Willy's been kitnapped" for example, so that everyone who even just sees the thread title will know to skip it if they do not enjoy such things.

This is a great idea!!

GreyhoundGirl
12-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Look in this thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=118817) and you will see plenty of these pictures. Willy is NOT really at my house, but Michelle took some pictures of him from Lorraine, and inserted his picture into the pictures from me, to make it APPEAR as if he is really at my house.

This (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=118824) also has a picture of Little Orphan Annie superimposed into a picture taken at an airport, so that it appears that Little Orphan Annie is really there.

Wow! Those ones of shadow really look real. :eek: You guys really are good at this.

kuhio98
12-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks for explaning what is going on. I hope in the future the thread title will indicate that it's all in good fun.

Willy is one of my favorites, and I was genuinely concerned in his first kitnapped adventure, but I caught on quickly. This time, I worried all day yesterday about Annie. I wasn't on the computer much as I was running last minute Christmas errands. But, every now and then I said a prayer for her safe return. Needless to say, I am quite relieved that everything is okay, but..... :( Let's just say, I'm not a happy camper right now.

Now, I'm responsible for my feelings and actions, but whenever a kitty is missing, it brings up a lot of issues for me. We searched frantically for Kuhio when she was missing. We still cry almost daily for her loss. To me, the kitties being missing is just about as funny as joking about the kitties passing away. Not funny at all!

krazyaboutkatz
12-24-2006, 03:30 PM
I took both threads very seriously and I was very worried about both of them. I think that's a great idea to put the words virtual adventure in the thread title so that this won't happen again. Please continue with their stories if you want to. All is forgiven.

Soapets
12-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Hey GreyhoundGirl, I PM'd you about the photo manipulation, but then thought I'd show it on here, too. Here is an example of an original picture of Dottie on my bed that I sent to Michelle:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/p0534a7c000589e6432f06f4f65d774e7/eb8b1a22.jpg

Here is what she did to make it look like Willy is actually at my house, using a picture of Willy that Lorraine sent to her:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/PTCRAZY/willy-getting-comfy.jpg

The pictures of MY cats at my house ARE real. I showed Shadow at the door and added the captions to fit the "story". Shadow, Dottie, and Angel are my cats that will be in the original pictures. The manipulations are being done when Michelle adds Willy into the pictures with them. We have LOTS more to show if the poll is in favor of continuing the story. If not, we won't show any more of them on here.

jenluckenbach
12-24-2006, 04:33 PM
I will admit that the photo manipulation is FANTASTIC!!

GreyhoundGirl
12-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Yea, I agree, OMG, it looks so real. I understand why people are being fooled. :eek:

kimlovescats
12-24-2006, 05:39 PM
I have already spoken by pm to Lorraine and Soapets about my feelings. I understand that they were trying to have fun, but I was also very upset particularly by the Willie one ... it seemed so real. I was a bit suspicious about Annie's because she said the sleeping bag was missing, but by the end of the post I still thought she really was. :( It just brought to mind the story of the little boy who cried wolf. In the future, it would just make it hard to know when to believe if prayer was really needed. Well, with that said, I accept both apologies and I am thankful that both of these kitties are home and safe. I still feel very bad for Isis, as she is truly missing! :(

GreyhoundGirl
12-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I think they should continue, but be more obvioustly fake. :)

Laura's Babies
12-24-2006, 05:51 PM
I SO hope you get voted into keep it going because I enjoy the lightheartedness of it all and getting a break from the "real" world!

catmandu
12-24-2006, 07:33 PM
I Personally Would Love To Hear More Of Annie And Willy.
There Not Enough Romance In The World And Its Nice When One Of Our Cats Can Find Taht Special Friend.
And Juke Joint Joseph Seconds That Motion, Thats How He Found H H Lady Edwina Rose.

phesina
12-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Now that I know what's going on, I feel SO relieved but also a bit angry at being made so upset and frightened for the "missing" cats. I thought both Willy and Annie really were missing, and I felt so bad and wanted to send prayers and good wishes and vibes to help bring them back home, meanwhile being so frightened because so many cats do get lost like this.

I definitely think you should keep going with this one and that these "meetings" are great fun to follow. I love the parties and the banquets and the resort trips! (And Elmer loves meeting up with his beloved Taccoa at them too!)

But there needs to be some way to tell what is going on. Some of them are quite obvious, like the Cat Olympics and the Catmandu Travel Agency's trips. But the talk of Willy and Annie disappearing sounded too real. When cats in Pet Talk really do go missing or have other bad things happen, it touches me how all of us pull together to marshal every kind of energy we can to help the missing or hurt one. I want to save my energies for the cats that really need it. It breaks my heart every time I learn of another bad or sad or scary thing happening to a cat.

That's a good idea to do something like start these threads with words like "VIRTUAL ADVENTURE: [whatever]" or see if we can get a separate forum section for virtual get-togethers.

So now that I've said my piece, I look forward to following the continuing adventures of Willy and Annie! Are they eloping? What ARE they up to?!!

Pat

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-25-2006, 04:29 AM
I took both threads very seriously and I was very worried about both of them. I think that's a great idea to put the words virtual adventure in the thread title so that this won't happen again. Please continue with their stories if you want to. All is forgiven.

AMEN to that!! Me too, I was so shocked and worried when I read about Annie's kidnapping..... and about wee Willy..... :eek: . Thank goodness it was all just a "story" ;) .
Warn people next time, and then let the fun begin :) :)

Barbara
12-25-2006, 05:55 AM
I also was worried - but I know Lorraine and Deb didn't intend to worry us. Now I am more sorry for these two because they did all these wonderful pics and invented the story-and now there are people who expect them to feel guilty.

Plus I am worried that Willy and Annie may not meet this Christmas and that would be really sad isn't it.;)

Of course we know that in the real world our kitties wouldn't care for each other- but I love these fantasy games and like the creativity and invention that goes into them.

catnapper
12-25-2006, 07:13 AM
I saw the original two threads and never responded but did say a quick prayer for their safe return. I thought it was awful tacky of Deb to make that thread of Willy ending up at her home when Willy was missing..... I thought, "OMG, Lorraine is going to cry her eyes out to see this!" I caught on quickly when she responded. Then it was no longer tacky ;)

Go ahead and continue your virtual adventure if its still bringing you enjoyment. If you feel all the fun is sapped out because of hurting people, then stop. I don't think the threads should be deleted either way.

Merry Christmas both of you. I know you intended it to be fun and lighthearted. A lot of us are so stressed at this time of year that we don't read things as clearly as we would in less stressful times. So next time, like Karen suggested, simply spell it out in the title that this is all a fun thing instead of a true kitty emergency.

jazzcat
12-25-2006, 09:17 AM
I voted to continue now that I know everyone is safe and sound and this was to just be a little virtual fun but I did pick the poll choice of don't do that again. ;) Whew, I was so worried!

Freedom
12-25-2006, 09:41 AM
I was also upset about the missing cats. I was praying for their return, and worried about their owners, to have such a thing happen at Christmas. It was too, too sad, because it sounded so real.

I lost a cat, on an inconsequential day. And each year I cry for him. My heart was breaking thinking these 2 owners would know that heart ache every year at Christmas time.

I am still shaken to learn it was all a hoax. I understand that you did not intend us to worry.

I will certainly have a different attitude reading ANYTHING on this website, now. It's gonna take a while for me to get over this.

I am glad you keep pointing out that Isis is REALLY missing, and REALLY needs our thoughts and prayers and positive vibes to return home safely.

Sandra

momoffuzzyfaces
12-25-2006, 11:21 AM
I also was worried - but I know Lorraine and Deb didn't intend to worry us. Now I am more sorry for these two because they did all these wonderful pics and invented the story-and now there are people who expect them to feel guilty.
I don't expect them to feel guilty. I'm the one who feels like a jerk for wasting my time praying for cats who didn't need them. Be a long long time before I do THAT again! :(

Edwina's Secretary
12-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Surely a prayer is never wasted?

Merry Christmas everyone!

Barbara
12-25-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't expect them to feel guilty. I'm the one who feels like a jerk for wasting my time praying for cats who didn't need them. Be a long long time before I do THAT again! :(

You can be sure they feel guilty.
Plus all the fun is spoiled.
Plus you will not pray for other cats who have not the slightest thing to do with this story.

I was worried and sent my best thoughts and I do NOT feel like a jerk because I did. Because every good deed makes sense. Independently of whether it was a success or not. It makes sense because it makes you more human.

jenluckenbach
12-25-2006, 03:33 PM
I would like to send my personal appologies to Lorraine, Deb and Michelle.

The story they created would have been wonderful if it was not mistaken for REALITY. I have no ill feelings toward them. I will not punish all other animals/people by not caring about them because of this matter. I (hope) that I am a good enough person to forgive AND forget a mistake.

BUT.......if it were up to me, I would simply delete ALL threads tangled up in this mess, or this discussion will NEVER end. :rolleyes:

Post your wonderful created photos in a NEW thread and can we please move on from this?????

kittycats_delight
12-25-2006, 04:01 PM
I would like to send my personal appologies to Lorraine, Deb and Michelle.

The story they created would have been wonderful if it was not mistaken for REALITY. I have no ill feelings toward them. I will not punish all other animals/people by not caring about them because of this matter. I (hope) that I am a good enough person to forgive AND forget a mistake.

BUT.......if it were up to me, I would simply delete ALL threads tangled up in this mess, or this discussion will NEVER end. :rolleyes:

Post your wonderful created photos in a NEW thread and can we please move on from this?????

It is absolutely not necessary to apologize to me Jen. I believe it would have been a blast if not mistaken for reality. It was a fun and good idea. I really hope people will not hold a grudge because of a honest mistake. It really was not meant to upset or hurt anyone. Or make anyone feel like a fool. And I too agree it is time to let things go and move on.

(((Jen)))
Merry Christmas

Michelle

MBones
12-26-2006, 11:41 AM
When I read about the missing kitties my mind immediately went to those alarming times when one of my own went missing. The panic, fear and worry for those missing is very real to me and I got very LES'y and began praying for them and hoping that they would soon be found. My heart goes out to all of those who have spent those long hours, days, and the like waiting for their beloved pets to come back safely home to them and I was very upset that three had gone missing so close to Christmas. I was even more upset to learn that in the guise of entertainment only one was truly missing.

To find out that this "charade" was just that made me feel pretty taken advantage of. And the fact that there is truly another cat missing (Isis) makes the timing of this reality tale all the more horrible. I'm sorry if this offends the creators of this tale but it is really upsetting to me that such a scary scenario for me ( and all the other pet lovers out there ) turned out to be a hoax. Some things are just not worth joking abut in my opinion.

I'm sure they meant no harm, but we all need to consider the impact of what we post on this forum as well as others. Please let's either make a separate folder for these reality types of adventures or prominately highlight in the thread title. Again, I do not mean to offend or make the creators of this hoax feel bad, but missing pets is nothing to joke about. I really am bothered by this entire turn of events; it has really upset me.

Let's channel all of this energy towards Isis so that she may be reunited with her loved ones safe and sound.

Soapets
12-26-2006, 06:53 PM
ISIS HAS BEEN FOUND! :) Please see this thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=118806) for the updates, and to express your happiness and joy to Wenisrubber on finding Isis, safe and now back home! :)

ISIS REALLY WAS MISSING. SHE WAS NOT A PART OF THE VIRTUAL ADVENTURE OF WILLY AND ANNIE. :(

That being said, if the votes continue in favor of us continuing the saga of Willy's and Annie's Virtual Christmas Adventure of 2006 by the time the poll closes tomorrow afternoon, we will resume posting about their virtual escapades. (Even if the votes HAD been in favor of continuing it, I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing so with Isis still really missing.)

We will clearly mark each thread about these two as a "Virtual Adventure" so that there will be no mistake about it to the PT'ers who read them.

We appreciate the candid comments on here, and hope that everyone who feels mistrust about these types of threads will feel reassured knowing that Virtual Adventures will be clearly marked as such from here on out. Please do NOT feel hesitant to continue to offer prayers and positive vibes up for the beloved pets who are reported as missing on here in the future. If everyone abides by the rule that Virtual Adventures should be clearly marked as such in their titles, the confusion won't happen again.

kitten645
12-26-2006, 07:17 PM
I think some people take themselves entirely too seriously :rolleyes: That being said, perhaps a note in the title of "fiction" or something to that effect might keep the drama queens at bay. :confused:

Edwina's Secretary
12-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Yea!!!!! I am so eager to read the next installment in this saga! :D :D

rg_girlca
12-26-2006, 09:01 PM
I think some people take themselves entirely too seriously :rolleyes: That being said, perhaps a note in the title of "fiction" or something to that effect might keep the drama queens at bay. :confused:

Kitten 645; These caring people DO NOT take themselves entirely too seriously, but they do take a missing cat very seriously and there are NO drama queens on board either.

Everyone has a RIGHT to be upset over this and I don't blame them one bit.
I should have known better, but I got caught up in the moment.

I take total blame for all this as I made my thread about Willy being missing way too realistic. It was only after some comments that I noticed it and by then it was too late.

A lot of PTer's are very dear to me and knowing that I upset them and hurt their feelings over this, has me upset also.

I just want to bury this and start all over again at a later time. I just do not have the same frame of mind to continue with it. I definitely have learned from this and believe me when I say, that it will be done differently the next time.

I myself enjoy these virtual tours and I would hate to see them not be done because of my stupidity.

With that said, I want to apologize again for any ill feelings that I have caused.