PDA

View Full Version : Tomatoe, Fruit or Veggie?

tikeyas_mom
12-24-2006, 01:18 AM
My boyfriend and I were having a debate, is the Tomatoe a fruit or a veggie?...
I think it's a fruit, (I swear it was on the Magic School bus lol)
My boyfriend thinks it is a Veggie...

what do YOU think ;)

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-24-2006, 01:22 AM
Technically a tomato is a fruit, but I always refer to it as a vegetable as it just seems more like a veggie than a fruit.

tikeyas_mom
12-24-2006, 01:23 AM
do you have any back to your basis?? Meaning do... you have any info backing up that it is a fruit and not a veggie?? :p (I must be right lol)

luckies4me
12-24-2006, 01:51 AM
It is indeed a fruit. I am sure you can find plenty of information online. :p

G535
12-24-2006, 01:51 AM
http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutother/tomato

chocolatepuppy
12-24-2006, 05:34 AM
I believe it's a fruit, however, I always think of it as a veggie. ;)

Felicia's Mom
12-24-2006, 07:17 AM
A fruit, because of the seeds.

Miss Z
12-24-2006, 08:57 AM
Yep, a fruit is always created after a plant has been pollinated and the seeds are formed inside it. This is supposed to attract a bird or other animal who will digest the fruit but leave the seeds in its faeces, therefore allowing the new plant a good start in life.

A vegetable is a different area of the plant, usually the root, and it has no seeds.

buttercup132
12-24-2006, 09:13 AM
I like to think of it as a veggie, the thought of putting fruit on burgers and subs etc..yuk!:p

tikeyas_mom
12-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Yep, a fruit is always created after a plant has been pollinated and the seeds are formed inside it. This is supposed to attract a bird or other animal who will digest the fruit but leave the seeds in its faeces, therefore allowing the new plant a good start in life.

A vegetable is a different area of the plant, usually the root, and it has no seeds.

veggies have seeds... what about the cucumber? and the bean?

Miss Z
12-24-2006, 02:23 PM
A cucumber technically is a fruit too, produced when the plant has been pollinated (I think!). I think a bean is different, I think it's a pulse but I'm not entirely sure how they're different to fruit and veggies :)

GreyhoundGirl
12-24-2006, 02:28 PM
A cucumber technically is a fruit too, produced when the plant has been pollinated (I think!). I think a bean is different, I think it's a pulse but I'm not entirely sure how they're different to fruit and veggies :)

Wow, did you do a project on fruits and veggies? lol :p How do you know this??

Miss Z
12-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Wow, did you do a project on fruits and veggies? lol :p How do you know this??

LMAO, my brain is crammed full of all sorts of useless stuff I think :p Whether it's all right or not remains to be seen!

animal_rescue
12-24-2006, 02:32 PM
I've always been taught a tomato is a fruit so it would make sense that a cucumber is too.

k9krazee
12-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Fruit! What Zara said! I was also taught that things like green beans and peppers are also technically fruits.

K9karen
12-24-2006, 10:39 PM
I like to think of it as a veggie, the thought of putting fruit on burgers and subs etc..yuk!:p

Yup, I was going to say the same thing! Although in the summer, when they are in abundance and juicy and red, I eat them as I would an apple. But as much as I know they're fruit, my tummy says veggie (sprinkles salt...)

cali
12-24-2006, 11:02 PM
I know they are technicaly a fruit but as far as I am concerned they are veggies, you do not put tomatos in a fruit salad nor do you put melons and such in a veggie salad, n you put Tomato in a veggie salad lol

cassiesmom
12-27-2006, 12:48 PM
A tomato is a fruit because ... well ... because I looked it up in the dictionary and that's what I found. Is it called a to-MAY-to, or a to-MAH-to?

TamanduaGirl
12-27-2006, 04:42 PM
as for the mentioned beans those are seeds

Miss Z
12-27-2006, 05:34 PM
A tomato is a fruit because ... well ... because I looked it up in the dictionary and that's what I found. Is it called a to-MAY-to, or a to-MAH-to?

I would pronounce it to-MAH-to but I believe in the USA it is pronounced to-MAY-to

Felicia's Mom
12-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Fruits are the part of the plant containing seeds. This includes tomatos, squash, eggplant and cucumber.

Vegetables are plant roots, stems, and leaves. This includes rhubarb, used in pies.

I learned this in school.

BC_MoM
12-28-2006, 12:55 PM
I know they are technicaly a fruit but as far as I am concerned they are veggies, you do not put tomatos in a fruit salad nor do you put melons and such in a veggie salad, n you put Tomato in a veggie salad lol

I put tomato's in veggie salads.

Dorothy39
12-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Fruits are the part of the plant containing seeds. This includes tomatos, squash, eggplant and cucumber.

Vegetables are plant roots, stems, and leaves. This includes rhubarb, used in pies.

I learned this in school.

Me too!!

I was sooo **surprised** to learn that tomatoes were actually FRUIT!!

I was a shocked 4th grader~ :D And I told my younger Sister what I had learned!!!!

Hey Sis, They're a Lot like Apples!!!! :D