PDA

View Full Version : Perry and Daisy's future safety!

Dixieland Dancer
06-18-2002, 11:19 AM
I am cross posting this from Jackie's community. The more that get involved the better.

Liz (Otto's Outfits) posted this:

I am concerned about the safety of Daisy and Perry in the future, and Don and Jackie, because the owners told them that the one pit bull ( the one that attacked) does not like other dogs OR WOMEN. I guess he proved it about the other dogs, I pray that he will never get to prove it about women, or about anything else ever again. I was amazed looking at the photos of the fence and at the size of the chain that the dog broke to get at Daisy and Perry.

So, for that reason, I am emailing and contacting every TV station, newspaper, organization, whatever I can think of, in the San Diego area. And maybe some national groups or other if I find them. I've asked Jackie for permission to do this and she has okayed it. Anyone else who feels led to do this as well, please join in!!!! Perhaps with more people speaking up, something will be done. If you know of a particular group to notify, please post it here.

Again, I am not trying to rid the world of pit bulls and do not blame them. I AM trying to keep pit bulls - and any other breed, for that matter - out of the hands of irresponsible OWNERS.

This is Liz's second post:

Well, I've stayed up half the night, but have accomplished something, I hope. Here is the contact information that I promised:

Troubleshooter at KGTV channel 10 [email protected]
Also, Newstips on Channel10 http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/news/newstips/

Newstips for Channel 6 [email protected] <[email protected]>

San Diego Union/Tribune [email protected]

Or, use snail mail:
San Diego Union-Tribune
P.O. Box 120191
San Diego, CA 92112-0191

Or, you can call:
News Department (619) 293-1211 or (800) BIG-NEWS (Nationwide), or by fax: (619) 293-1896

CITY OF SAN DIEGO web site; www.sannet.gov
GOVERNOR; [email protected]
COUNCIL MEMBERS:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
DEPUTY MAYOR [email protected]
CITY ATTORNEY [email protected]
CITY MANAGER [email protected]

KSWB Channel 5 http://kswbtv.trb.com/news/kswb-news-tips.htmlstory
KUSI Channel 9 [email protected]

Please contact these agencies and tell them about Don, Jackie, Perry, and Daisy and express your feelings. You can write one letter and send the same one to everyone. The goal here is NOT to rid the world of pit bulls, just of irresponsible owners. And not just pit bulls, any dog that is vicious, for whatever reason, must be dealt with accordingly by the owner.

Thank you! If you have more contacts, please add them.

Liz

Dixieland Dancer
06-18-2002, 11:22 AM
Jackie posted this on her community:

Liz, I just wanted to tell you that your letter must have made an impression, KUSI tv station is coming out to interview us at 2:30 concerning the Pit Bull attack. Will see what happens.
We are taking Daisy in this morning for her pain patch removal and checkup, will see what they say about Perry.
Thanks for your input
Jackie

momoffuzzyfaces
06-18-2002, 11:31 AM
I hope Jackie shows the news people all the pictures and gives them the links to both communities on the web so they can see for themselves what it's been like for everyone who loves the pups and of course Jackie and Don. This has touched a whole lot of people. Hope sweet Perry gets to come home with them when they take Daisy in for her checkup. Fingers crossed. Prayers on the way.

gini
06-18-2002, 11:50 AM
How I hope that Perry can come home today. For right now, that is the most important issue.

However, I also hope that the neighbors are home to see the TV station van pull up to their home. And, it wouldn't hurt to have the veterinarian bills available to show what horror these babies and Jackie and Don have gone through.

Former User
06-18-2002, 12:34 PM
Gini, you took words out of my mouth. That's waht I wanted to say too.
There are people who don't deserve to have pets...

gini
06-18-2002, 12:55 PM
I have to add another two cents here that worries me.

A while back I posted about a Gindo in our neighborhood, constantly being on the loose, and attacking other dogs that were being walked by their owners on a leash.

This dog was responsible for three different attacks and I witnessed and was involved with the third. At the time, I contacted our police (Senior Lead Officer) and they were kind enough to speak to the owners only becuase of the neighborhood association. However, the SLO told me that this is not a police matter and should be reported to Animal Control.

Animal Control much to my horror, told me that I never should have been involved. I couldn't believe that - I was just supposed to stand there and watch this poor woman with two dogs on a leash being attacked by the Gindo?

Her dog was seriously injured and the result is happy, but the poor thing was in the vets for over five days.

The most that Animal Control did WAS SEND A LETTER!

But these are our crazy laws and they leave it up to the courts and individual owners to straighten these matters out.

I am sincerely hoping that more happens to Jackie and Don's neighbors than just "receiving a letter from Animal Control!"

06-18-2002, 01:13 PM
I agree to everyone who says that dogs like pit-bulls need to have very responsible owners !! They can be educated to excellent and obedient dogs ; but they need a very strong hand and lots of schooling . Any person holding these animals ad random , without education , should be forbidden to have them !!!

Another important issue is that if they go out for a walk , they should always been hold on leach and by a very strong and adult person ... ! Here , a few years ago , a sweet little cocker spaniel , was bitten death by two German Shepherds ; the little dog was playing in a cornfield just next to his house and was accompanied by his mommy . Those Shepherds were accompanied by two teenagers who were supposed to have a walk with their dogs ; to make it easier for them , they just unhooked their leach , so they could race around freely in that field !! Within one minute , they rushed to the smaller dog and killed it right before that woman's eyes . She is in a deep depression since ; last week I noticed that their house is for sale .............. :mad: :mad: :mad:

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-18-2002, 01:32 PM
OK. I am willing and terribly wanting to write all these people about the situation with Daisy and Perry. I am however at loss as to what should write. :rolleyes:

HELP!! I am having a writer's block. (could it be possible, me run out of words! He!He!He!:D )

Stenograsaurus
06-18-2002, 01:57 PM
I, too, am having writer's block. Could someone type a form letter and we could all sign it?

lizbud
06-18-2002, 02:08 PM
I think the letters from Jackie's daughter Colleen in the
orginal thread explained the situation quite clearly. Just
restate what happened and how you feel about A.C. returning
the dog to it's owner. Explain there are pictures of the fence
and Perry & Daisy at the Vet's office, etc. Mostly tell them how
you feel about this unprovoked attack and A.C's response to it.

Dixieland Dancer
06-18-2002, 02:13 PM
This sounds like a job for Mugsy! I think she did something similar not to long ago and did a fantastic job. Can't recall who or what it was for though off the top of the head.

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-18-2002, 02:18 PM
Where is Colleen's original post?

Molly, what do you think about putting a letter together for us to follow? He!He!He! :D :D

lizbud
06-18-2002, 02:32 PM
Colleen's original post was in Dog Health under "Please say
a prayer for Jackie". Page 1.

mugsy
06-18-2002, 04:40 PM
I don't have a problem writing a letter, I can get my point across (usually) in a nice way with the underlying thread of evil. <eg>

I will work on it and get it posted and see what everyone thinks before we send it.

pupper-lover
06-18-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by lut
I agree to everyone who says that dogs like pit-bulls need to have very responsible owners !! They can be educated to excellent and obedient dogs ; but they need a very strong hand and lots of schooling . Any person holding these animals ad random , without education , should be forbidden to have them !!!

I'm for responsible owner's in general!

First off I have to defend pit bulls as a breed. I come across many pit bulls, my lab-pit mix included, that are sweet cuddly teddy bears, and just as many "nice breeds" that try to bite me and my dogs. A bad owner makes for a bad dog!

People that don't respect animals or take responsbility for their pets, should be banned from having pets in general. It is absolutely awful what Ms. Daisy and Perry and their family are having to go through. No one should ever have to go through that. As much as I love animals, the dogs responsible for the attack, need to be put to sleep, for the safety of everyone. The problem just as often extends to people and children. We all know about the woman that was killed in front of her apartment door by dogs trained to murder. A year or two ago, you may have heard, a little boy's dead body was found in the park. He had been mauled to death by a group of stray dogs. Ms. Daisy and Perry were in their own back yard, for goodness sake, when they were attacked. If we are not safe in our fenced in back yards, where the hell are we safe? So many animals and people have been hurt under these horrible circumstances. It is not to be tolerated! If animal control and our criminal justice system were more responsible in dealing with these matters, this sort of thing wouldn't happen. Make people responsible for their animals!!!:mad:

mugsy
06-18-2002, 05:29 PM
AMEN!!!

To single out a particular breed is wrong wrong wrong!! It's bad OWNERS not bad DOGS!!

Ok....I got the letter written, now I just need to figure out how to post it to here. Mike is sleeping, so this may take awhile.

I tried to attach it, but it's in an invalid text so I'll have to wait until Mike gets up to get it posted.

mugsy
06-18-2002, 08:32 PM
here is the letter tell me what you think.

Cincy'sMom
06-18-2002, 09:34 PM
Sounds really good Molly! Thank you for writing it!

4 feline house
06-18-2002, 09:44 PM
Have Jackie and Don considered suing the neighbors? I know that's not the way to build friendship between neighbors, but at least they will get some financial help. Assuming the neighbors have homeowner's insurance, that is.

lizbud
06-18-2002, 09:49 PM
Molly,

I think it's an excellent letter. When I was looking up the
San Diego animal laws, I came accross an account of a Choc
Lab, 10 years old, who was in his own back yard & was
attacked by a lose Pet Bull Terrior. The account of the attack
said the Lab offered no resistance to the Terrior, but was
mortally injured by the attack.His Vet could not save him and
the Lab's owners had him mercifully put down. People ought
to realize that if you keep a dog, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR
IT'S ACTIONS. This incident happened May 1, 2002 in San
Diego. Hopefully letters will serve as a wake-up call to the
local officials that cases like this can't be treated lightly. We
have to make a big "stink" about it to get their attention.
I am sending several letters. Thanks for composing it. Liz.

Kfamr
06-18-2002, 10:11 PM
Molly,

I REALLY like how you said DOG instead of Pit Bull. It really show that you're not against the breed, you're against the owner.

mugsy
06-18-2002, 10:19 PM
KayAnn, my intent is to make them aware that it's not just one breed that is a problem....it's not ANY breed....it's stupid OWNERS that cause the problem. I wasn't going to give the public what they want by saying that it was a pit that attacked them. For that matter many people mistake AmStaffs for Pits and Dogos for Pits, so this dog may not be a Pit at all.

I stand by my opinion that it's not a bad dog, it's a bad owner, and it's not a bad breed, it's a bad owner.

Ok....I'm off my soapbox now.

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-19-2002, 06:21 AM
Love the letter! I will send it out immediately.

Good Job, Molly! I knew we could count on you.

Stenograsaurus
06-19-2002, 08:26 AM
Mugsy, Just to let you know that pettalk.com is a totally different website. Maybe you should change it to dogoftheday.com.

Karen and Paul, do you guys have any problem with putting the website in the letter?

mugsy
06-19-2002, 08:29 AM
OOPS!! Thanks, I will get it changed.

CountryWolf07
06-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Molly, that is a GREAT letter :) Very nicely input! - Rachel

mel55smiles
06-19-2002, 01:17 PM
HI!! MUGSY, THAT WAS A WONDERFUL LETTER, YOU HAVE A GIFT!!!
WHATEVER, WE HAVE TO DO TO GET THE WORD ACROSS, IM ALL FOR IT!!!!!! AS PET TALK MEMBERS WE CAN WORK TOGETHER TO GET RID OF THE AWFUL OWNERS IN THE WORLD...

mel55smiles
06-19-2002, 01:22 PM
MUGSY??
DO YOU MIND IF I SEND THE LETTER TO THE LEADERS IN MY COMMUNITY???

RECENTLY AT THE VET WHERE I VOLUNTEER THREE DIFF DOGS WERE BROUGHT IN TWO WERE ATTCKED NY CHOW/ROTT MIXES AND THE OTHER WAS ATTACKED BY A PITT/GSD MIX..

NOBODY MESSES WITH THE PETLOVERS ON PET TALK!!!!

wolf_Q
06-19-2002, 02:53 PM
I think the letter sounds excellent. Maybe you should send it with a list of our full names (whoever chooses to put theirs) and locations. I'm also glad that you stressed that it is bad owners, not the breed, that creates a problem.~~Amy :)

tatsxxx11
06-19-2002, 03:20 PM
EXCELLENT letter Mugsy! I would be happy to sign should you decide to make it a "group" signature. If not, I am downloading it to send along, if that's ok. I agree with so many others. ANY dog can be taught to be vicious. To treat any animal in such a way as to nurture and encourage this type of aggression is, in my mind, as much a form of animal abuse as any. The owners create the issue, yet it is the animal who is maligned, individually or as a breed, as is left to suffer the ramifications. I am currently trying to re-home a dear, sweet, gentle as rain Am Staff Terrier named Patches. He is now in a home with two guardians where there once was only one. The new "partner" has cats and abhores dogs and so the owner has reluctantly asked for my help in finding this dear dog, Patches, a new home. I hated to tell him that the liklihood is very improbable. Visit any Pit Bull, Am Staff, Bull Terrier "rescue" site. The shelters that will even consider taking in a Pit Bull are few and far between. It is usually left to the owner to post on a rescue internet site with info., bio., pics., etc. Occasionally one can find a foster home or Pit Bull refuge shelter, but they are usually full. It is so very tragic that we humans have created this plight for a breed who at one time was considered noble and respectable. Over 600 Pit Bulls are euthanized every day in the U.S. I hold the owners ultimately responsible. THEY should be punnished to the full extent of the law and held accountable for all expenses, including remuneration for pain and suffering to dear Perry and Daisy, as well as to Jackie and Don.

pupper-lover
06-19-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
EXCELLENT letter Mugsy! I would be happy to sign should you decide to make it a "group" signature. If not, I am downloading it to send along, if that's ok. I agree with so many others. ANY dog can be taught to be vicious. To treat an animal in such a way as to nurture and encourage this type of aggression is, in my mind, as much a form of animal abuse as any. The owners create the issue, yet it is the animal who is maligned, individually or as a breed, as is left to suffer the ramifications. I am currently trying to re-home a dear, sweet, gentle as rain Am Staff Terrier named Patches. He is now in a home with two guardians where there once was only one. The new "partner" has cats and abhores dogs, and so the owner has reluctantly asked for my help in finding this dear dog, Patches, a new home. I hated to tell him that the liklihood is very improbable. Visit any Pit Bull, Am Staff, Bull Terrier "rescue" site. The shelters that will even consider taking in a Pit Bull are few and far between. It is usually left to the owner to post on a rescue internet site with info., bio., pics., etc. Occasionally one can find a foster home or Pit Bull refuge shelter, but they are usually full. It is so very tragic that we humans have created this plight for a breed who at one time was considered noble and respectable. I hold the owners ultimately responsible. THEY should be punnished to the full extent of the law and held accountable for all expenses, including remuneration for pain and suffering to dear Perry and Daisy, as well as to Jackie and Don.

Well said! I agree whole-heartedly!

mugsy
06-19-2002, 04:37 PM
Hey, I have no copy rights on the letter, if you want to send it to every mayor and governor in the Union, I don't care. I thank you for the compliments. I don't think it's all that great, but if it works that's what counts. I like the idea of adding everyone's full name and location and then sending it. If you want me to add your name to it, I'll add them in Word and then post the copy again.

ellensy
06-19-2002, 08:52 PM
Nice letter, very well said. ;)

pupper-lover
06-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Ellensy, I think your sig image is messed up! I'm just getting a message from image station.

ellensy
06-19-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by pupper-lover
Ellensy, I think your sig image is messed up! I'm just getting a message from image station.

Gee, im so sorry. I fixed it. is it better now? :o ;)

krazyaboutkatz
06-19-2002, 11:33 PM
That's an excellent letter Mugsy and I'd be happy to sign it. Something should be done so this kind of thing never happens again. I also agree that it's bad owner's not the breed of dog that causes the dog to become vicious.

pupper-lover
06-20-2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by ellensy

Gee, im so sorry. I fixed it. is it better now? :o ;)

Tis good!

mel55smiles
06-20-2002, 07:46 PM
MELANIE D.
KENTWOOD, LOUISIANA

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-20-2002, 08:55 PM
Add my name too.

Souraya H. Robbins
Gainesville, GA

krazyaboutkatz
06-21-2002, 12:04 AM
Oops, I forgot to give you my name. Please add my name Tracey D. and I'm from Santa Clara, Ca. I sure hope that Perry and Daisy recover from this terrible tragedy.

Former User
06-21-2002, 03:53 AM
I don't know if ours will count since we're outside USA, but if so, here's ours:

Niina L.
Patrick B.
Belgium

rg_girlca
06-21-2002, 08:21 PM
I hope my signature counts also:

Lorraine Luckie
Montreal, Quebec.

I also agree that it is bad owners not bad dogs.

ellensy
06-21-2002, 08:43 PM
Sy, Ellen Myra
Manila, Phil.

can i be included?

mugsy
06-21-2002, 08:52 PM
I hope that the international flavor will help. I plan on adding the names this weekend and getting it sent out. Anyone else who wants your name added let me know.

AdoreMyDogs
06-21-2002, 10:53 PM
Molly, I PM'd you my and my husbands' name...please add us to the list for that WONDERFUL letter.