PDA

View Full Version : Shedding

toyfoxterrierowner
12-23-2006, 01:27 PM
My dog is shedding a lot! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce some of the shedding?

GreyhoundGirl
12-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Brushing. Preferable outside. There are multiple products on the market, I've tried many of them, but none have worked for Jenny.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-23-2006, 01:38 PM
A good diet, regular bathing (for some dogs - works for Tango), and definitely regular brushing helps to control shedding. I don't use any of the fancy products such as the furminator and such on my dogs. On my smooth coated dogs I use a hound glove, which works pretty good and on my short and long coated dogs I use a metal comb, a pin brush, a ZoomGroom, and a shedding blade. All of those work for us. The amount of shedding has also decreased in my house since we switched their food (they were eating Nutro, they're now eating California Natural). They still shed of course, but not very much.

Suki Wingy
12-23-2006, 06:45 PM
If they're smooth furred, rub them with a damp rag daily, and get a lint roller because you'll never stop a dog from shedding!

borzoimom
12-23-2006, 06:46 PM
What food do you feed? And do you add any supplements now?

buttercup132
12-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Take your dog to the groomer to get bathed and they will dry him with a propr dog dryer and it will blow the coat and reduce the shedding, and they will brushe him.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Take your dog to the groomer to get bathed and they will dry him with a propr dog dryer and it will blow the coat and reduce the shedding, and they will brushe him.

That only works temporarily though, and just going by the username, I think this person has a smooth coated Toy Fox Terrier. So, while a groomer is great for some people and some dogs, it won't do much for this dog. :)

areias
12-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Get a turtle. ;)

No, seriously. I agree with the damp rag, and also with brushing daily. It only takes a few minutes-leave a soft brush by the couch and while you are watching T.V. just brush the dog a little bit.

Adding some fatty acids might help too..you can get it the supplement from the vet.

borzoimom
12-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Lets start with the diet first. A food low in digestability or high in corn, will cause shedding problems. Lets fix it from the inside out. What do you feed?

theterrierman
12-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Toy fox terriers are light shedders. You're dog might be sick or hypothyroid if it is shedding alot. If you take it to the vet, and it's healthy, then try brushing it 1 or 2 times a day, and supplement with fatty acids, like others have said.

borzoimom
12-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Adding fatty acids with a lower quality diet, is just going to make a greasy shedding dog.. lol.. Just tell us what you are feeding. .. Then we go from there.

toyfoxterrierowner
12-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks everyone.. I usually feed her Beneful dry dog food or mighty dog cans of beef... She is pretty healthy she was just at the vet...

borzoimom
12-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Beneful is high in carbs, and low process protein. Its not bad for a commercial diet, but with the added grains and low protein, it is probably why the dog is not holding a coat. If you have to feed a kibble diet- and considering you feed less of the ones I am going to list- it actually costs you the same amount of money- Chicken Soup for dogs, Solid Gold, Bil Jac, Nutro lamb and rice... Here all 4 are available petsmart- not sure about your area. Change the diet, then wait 6 weeks. Keep in mind the first week the dog will shed more- the reason- the dead coat that is rejuvenating is dropping, in week 2 it will decrease and by week 4 totally normal.

toyfoxterrierowner
12-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks borzoimom.. Just wondering what do you feed your dogs? I hear a lot about making your own dog food at home, but I just don't know much about it.

K9karen
12-23-2006, 11:24 PM
It's hard to keep a GSD from shedding, but I find brushing her quite often helps. I also add a tablespoon of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) to her food and gone is the dandruff and dry skin and heavy shedding. *Sigh*. I indulged in an Electrolux vacuum cleaner!!!!! I figure shedding is the worst thing she does! :D :D

borzoimom
12-24-2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks borzoimom.. Just wondering what do you feed your dogs? I hear a lot about making your own dog food at home, but I just don't know much about it.
I feed raw, and have for 19 years. I even tried this month putting them back on Bil Jac and Solid Gold. They did fine on it, but we went back to raw. ( The reason I changed them is that with a coming surgery, other people will be caring for them, and I was trying to make it easier on the care givers to feed). Most people that feed raw have medium to large dogs. I started raw after losing a shepherd to bloat, and never looked back. I have found that not only do my dogs do better on raw, but its also cheaper than any good food would be. It does however take planning. It does take time to let it warm up to room temp without defrosting in microwaves, or even hot water etc. Also- on raw diet, you can not flip back and forth from raw to kibble back to raw without a 14 hour fast. The reason is on a raw diet they eat certain types of bones, and the bones would usually clear the intestine fast- but if kibble is added, the kibble will slow this down, making potentially a dangerious situation. The only dry food I have found safe with a raw diet is Bil Jac. It turns to mush instantly, and desolves quicker.
Feeding raw takes committment. however to me- it has become habit. All my friends locally one by one have converted to raw, but the there are only two with small dogs- a pomerain, and cavaliers. I know what their receipes are. But this does take some consideration to do. I will say this- since I started feeding raw, not just my dogs, but others as well that feed raw, we have found the dogs live longer, usually healther and seem to do better. We were told when HOttie was 2 he would not make 5. He is 9. I really do believe the balence of calcium and phorphrus has kept Hotties condition from deterioting to the point of losing him.
Even just a better digestable diet would do the trick for you. With a better quality fat, and meats. Also remember the company that makes Beneful, the grains comes from rejects from their human cereal processing.. ...

buttercup132
12-24-2006, 10:10 AM
That only works temporarily though, and just going by the username, I think this person has a smooth coated Toy Fox Terrier. So, while a groomer is great for some people and some dogs, it won't do much for this dog. :)I know. They blow their coats just the same as long haired dogs, if not worse in some cases. It usually last for a while then they just go back to the groomers.

TFTpwnsYou
12-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Nice to see another TFT owner. Mine is a shedder too. Someone recommended that shed ender that was on T.V. so I got it. That helps a lot. I could not beleive the fur coming off of him. And a short brushing with that everyday helps a lot. And as others were saying diet plays a part. I feed Bil Jac and Hair of the Dog. That in itself helped too. Plus he looks spectacular! :) I hope this helped a little.

borzoimom
12-24-2006, 10:18 AM
That combination of Bil Jac and Hair of the dog is a excellent combination.. ( wonder where you heard of it.. lol..) :D

toyfoxterrierowner
12-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks everyone..I hope to find the other dog foods and see what happens.