PDA

View Full Version : Don't need no Christmas tree....

RICHARD
12-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Ii was walking through the front room and saw.....red, green and amber lights...

The keyboard green, mouse red, monitor amber, CPU green, Stereo green digital lights, CD player amber, DVD player red and TV red....

How much energy do we waste each year buying gadgets that have dummy lights on them.....

Gotta go....

the phone is ringing and the light is flashing......

I may just put that on top of my 'tree'... :rolleyes: ;) :p

I forgot the power strip and the VHS machine. red and blue...

Laura's Babies
12-23-2006, 02:44 PM
I often wondered how much power such as that eat up in a years time. Even a programable TV uses more than a plain jane TV does because it takes power to keep it programed.

Lady's Human
12-23-2006, 02:54 PM
LED's used as indicator lights use an incredibly small amount of power, which is why they are researching LED panels as replacements for household lighting fixtures. Another benefit is that there is no mercury used in them, so you don't have the disposal issue that you have with fluorescent lighting.

As an example, the incandescent bulbs used for a rear marker/brake light in a car consume approx 35 watts of power when on. An LED array (8 LEDs in a cluster) uses only 1.5 watts, which equates to each LED using 0.18 watts.

More power is lost by hysteresis loss in the power supply (converting AC to DC to run the electronics and the step down transformer to bring the voltage to the right level) than is lost using LEDs as indicators.