PDA

View Full Version : shots for strays

mruffruff
06-18-2002, 07:28 AM
Last year I caught 3 stray cats and had them neutered. They also got all the shots they would need for a year.

I recaptured 2 and again got them their shots and had them retested.

I know there are others who TNR for large numbers of cats. Do they retest and immunize every year?

Also, exactly what shots are necessary?

Mary

K & L
06-18-2002, 07:38 AM
We TNR and do not give the shots. Reason being the likely hood of capturing again in a year is not likely. Good for you to be able to capture some again and taking the time and worry for shots.

4 feline house
06-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Back in the day when I was involved in TNR, we also did not bother with the shots. Our biggest concern was stopping the cycle of reproduction, and to not make the kitty's lives any worse than they already were.

lizbud
06-19-2002, 06:57 PM
Mary,

Bless you heart for showing this love for the stray kitties.
The spay/Neuter and first shots are the most important.
All the Best , Liz & Buddy.

mruffruff
06-20-2002, 12:23 PM
Thanks!

I got annual shots for 2; the third is too feral to catch. A fourth was caught tested positive.

"My" three cats come for breakfast and dinner every day now. I sit on the floor while they eat. Even the feral one will eat if I'm only a foot away. The other two let me pet them and will come in at night (to their own room with a kitty door!)

Ghost is up to 16 lbs, Missy is about 11 lbs. Shai is sleek and thin, but too feral to touch. Ghost is the tamest, but he'll never be a totally indoor cat. He sits next to me with his paws on my leg and lets me pet him -anywhere but the tummy. I hope to get Missy to do the same. I'll settle for a quick head scritch on Shai!

Except for losing Inky, it's gratifying to see the strays become more and more friendly.

Mary