PDA

View Full Version : Chihuahua puppies and an uneducated owner

lute
12-22-2006, 09:44 AM
my co-worker has three chihuahuas. they are not registered show dogs or anything. just pets. i've tried time and time again to get her to spay/neuter her chis. she just doesn't have the money. i've offered to help, but she doesn't want it. i've givin her dog food, crates for each of her chis, toys, etc. i just make it sound like i have extra and not that i'm helping her.

well, she came to work the other day and she ran up to me and showed me her camera phone. "this is the mom and the dad. we're expecting chi babies!" OMG! i'd never been so let down. my co-worker can't afford a litter! she can't afford emergancy vet care, shots, wormings, proper food, etc. i want to take the momma and welp the pups myself, but she wouldn't go with that. she wants the pups to go to people she knows that'll take care of them. she wants me to take one. should i offer to take all the pups when the time comes and get them all their shots and vet care? they would be rescues of course. i don't want another small dog. any more advice would be great too!

Vela
12-22-2006, 09:57 AM
No don't help her do anything with it. That would only encourage her to continue doing it. As crappy as it is, you need to let her deal with it all on her own. If someone steps in to help her everytime there is a problem, she will never learn anything and will just keep doing it. I feel bad for the dogs, but if she just gets away with it easy as you please with someone else footing the bills and trouble, she will just keep doing it, and that would be even worse for the dogs. But that's just my opinion. I would also stop giving her food and other items for the dogs. Unfortunately it won't help the situation to keep doing it, only make it worse. If she doesn't feed the dogs, after you stop helping, call the humane society.

borzoimom
12-22-2006, 10:07 AM
With only reading what is written, with all you have done, I do not think this is a " uneducated owner"- I think she is a free loader, with only you with the compassion to care what happens with her dogs. Let her buy the food, and vet care. She has enough time to prepare now- its not like they are already here- tell her to start preparing with food and all, but all your words have fallen on deaf ears, and " sorry- but I am strapped too the holidays here, and bills coming..." whatever.. Chihuahuas can easily need a C section- tell her to start saving for that one too. Telling her without one if she needs it, it will kill her..
All of this may sound harsh, but she has time for a reality check and get herself ready and prepared.. And your help at this stage I agree, is just enabling her to continue this. My guess is she knows exactly what she is doing-- someone else is paying for her dogs care, and will even help with the bills from the pregnancy, and maybe help her find a home for the puppies ( and I seriously doubt they are" free to a good home" as unregistered dogs...) I sound cold- but I hear your frustration. Its time to cut the cord here- let her prepare and do this. This is not the same as "anglebow" that was a younger person trying to help her dog- this woman is an adult and its time to face reality here..

TFTpwnsYou
12-22-2006, 10:31 AM
I hate to agree with these posts because of the dogs, but I do agree. I'm looking as it's either she is a free loader, or she is seriously "not too bright". Just let her do this on her own. I think you've already done more than enough.

lute
12-22-2006, 01:57 PM
i agree she is probably just useing me, but what about the pups? they may suffer if i don't step in. the animal control here won't do anything if i call them. i it's not that she wasn't feeding the dogs. just the quality of the food was so terrible i give her better food.

borzoimom
12-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Lute- she has time to get ready for this. To get the money together for the vet, to start getting more dog food ( luckily these are not big dogs), and she has the time. Her "plan" is for you to do it- not herself. This is an adult, and has the time to act like one, and just do what is needed. If you offer too much help now other than " you have time to get ready to do this", she will not learn the planning in this- and quite frankly- I think she already knows- and just going to let you worry about the details.. ( not her.)
If this were a child or young adult, living with parents that didnt understand- I would help- but this is not the case. And obviously a repeat performance. At some point people are either willing to learn, or let someone else do it for them- whether its doing their work at work- or in this case- you take care of her dogs. I think you are being set up- ... Just tell her to start preparing now, as you can not help at this point in time, and besides- nothing is a better teacher than experience in motion- HER MOTION..

lute
12-22-2006, 02:05 PM
i understand. so i'll just give her advice and let her borrow my welping books. i still feel bad! :(

borzoimom
12-22-2006, 02:07 PM
i understand. so i'll just give her advice and let her borrow my welping books. i still feel bad! :(
I know you do- but its time for her to take responsibility for this- giving her the books is a good idea- but at this point, I would not give a book you are not willing to not get back... Or better yet- write down the names of your books, the author and publisher and give her the list.. Its time for her to get a book or two on this as well. She needs to realize- when it boils down to it, its her responsiblity to "step up the plate" and do this..

Husky15
12-22-2006, 02:39 PM
I agree with everyone here. She sounds like she likes you, but is also using you. And you said that you have told her over and over again to get them fixed, but she would never heed your words. I think it's time to show her that there are consequences and that she should have listened. I'm sure she'll regret it when her bills start rolling in and she has to buy food and take them to the vet as well.

Freedom
12-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Agree with everything said so far. Don't give her books, give her the info for the book or two you think most helpful. (If you give too many titles, she will feel overwhelmed and not get any). Don't give her food, give her name of the store where you get the good stuff.

VERY irritating and frustrating, and I'm not even the one in direct contact with her!!!!!