PDA

View Full Version : Declaw

Reese81
12-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Hello, I just joined the forum and was wondering if anyone has had their cat's declawed?

critter crazy
12-21-2006, 06:00 PM
I will not ever declaw my cat. I am totally against it.

jenluckenbach
12-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Many years ago I had my first cat declawed. Her feet were never completely "right" after that. She held them up in pain for months after and even after she started using them without pain they always looked wrong.

Since then I have learned much more about what the declawing (actually, de-TOE-ing) is and it is no longer something I would consider doing again.

kuhio98
12-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Most people here are against de-clawing. Did you know that it has actually been banned in several places because it is considered cruelty to animals? Please do some research before you decide to do this. :(

columbine
12-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Here's a good description of exactly what declawing is, in layman's terms. Only one page long, very clear and easy to understand: Declawing (http://amby.com/cat_site/dc-wyntk.html)

Love, Columbine

moosmom
12-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Years ago, before I learned how inhumane declawing is, I had my beloved Mollie Rose declawed. I'll never EVER do it again!!

Craftlady
12-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Thumper and Eleanor came already delawed to us at the time of their adoptations. We've had Thumper for 5 years and Eleanor for 2 years. To best of my knowledge they dont seem to suffer.

Skinny and Cindy have their claws and I keep them trimmed (thanks to the local groomer) and we have scratching items around the house for them.

I do not get involved in the heated discussions that end up coming out of the question you are asking. I'm surprised I'm even replying on this particular subject, I must be slipping in my old age :lol

Catlady711
12-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Hello, I just joined the forum and was wondering if anyone has had their cat's declawed?

Check your PM's (private messages).

You can find the link to your PM's up in the right hand corner next to your sign in name.

cassiesmom
12-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Reese81, here is a previous discussion about declawing. Hope this helps! Cassie had already had her front paws declawed when I adopted her. I have no reason to have her back paws declawed. I have a friend who had all four of her kitty's paws declawed and I could tell the cat had pain afterward. If I ever adopt another cat, I would not do it unless I had absolutely, positively no other options.

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=116477&highlight=declaw

Catty1
12-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Look into SoftPaws. They are like claw shaped plastic 'artificial nails' that you glue onto your cat's claws. It's pretty easy. This eliminates damage caused by scratching furniture, etc.

Cheaper and MUCH less painful for kitty than declawing.

There are sprays you can get from pet stores that you spray on furniture and stuff - the cats don't like the smell and stay away. Vinegar works too!

slleipnir
12-22-2006, 05:08 PM
When I got Butter, he was already declawed...I knew if I got a kitten, since I'm still living at home, I would likely be forced into it. I don't notice any pain my cats are in right now, but still, it's very painful at the time, and a chance later in their life too. If you need a declawed cat, I suggest maybe adopted one already declawed

Freedom
12-22-2006, 06:58 PM
No way would I EVER have a cat mutilated like that! I have adopted cats that were declawed by prior owners. Poor kitty. there are many other ways to deal with cat's natural instinct to scratch.