PDA

View Full Version : Road trip in the snow

popcornbird
12-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi everyone,

We're intending to go to the Tahoe region for some snowy fun this weekend, and...I just wanted to ask you all for some tips.

Because we're Californians, and not used to driving in the snow, we may not have everything we 'need' to take, just in case, in mind. We did buy very warm clothing, and are taking lots of food and drinks, but we'll be in the snowy mountains, where at times, winter driving can be treacherous. After the incident with the SF family in Oregon, I'm a bit wary, but excited at the same time. The highway going to the Tahoe region is pretty straightforward, but again, it IS in the mountains, and snowy mountains at that. What are emergency supplies we should keep in handy?

All I can think of is food, drinks, blankets, flashlights...

Anything else important to have in the car? We have a cool flashlight with an emergency siren in it, so we're hoping to take that along. ;) Please throw in some ideas. I want to go well prepared. Of course we will check highway conditions before heading out on our trip.

CagneyDog
12-21-2006, 05:53 PM
In our winter driving pack we always include A first aid kid, flares, matches/lighter, non perishable food, bottled water, jumper cables, ice scraper and sleeping bags.

That sounds so fun though. How long are you gone for?

borzoimom
12-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Also- a reflective tarp for the roof of your car- like red or yellow- . They had it in recent news forecast. And energy bars.

RedHedd
12-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Make sure your cell phone is fully charged; that you have a cell phone charger in the car and that important phone numbers are marked I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency). Have a fun, safe trip and stay warm & dry!

Make sure you have CURRENT maps of where you are traveling. If I recall, the Kim family relied on Internet maps that were not very well marked. After all was said and done, it was proven that the AAA probably had the most current and accurate maps.

Edwina's Secretary
12-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Kitty litter. Yup...Kitty Litter...a nice big bag adds weight to the back end of your vehicle and if you get stuck you pour some under the tires for traction.

An ice scraper (NOT the California version....a credit card.... ;) )

caseysmom
12-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Make sure you carry chains...they are often required over the summit. Do not for any reason go off the main highway. I am assuming you are taking highway 50, you really would have no reason to go off of that. Highway 50 is very beautiful, but very scary when it snows.

I went up with my mom once I chained her car and my car up...I would never do that again...if you have to chain up pay one of the guys the 20 bucks.

Just go very slow over the summit.

Tune into the road condition station they will have the signs posted...highway 50 is very well maintained by snow equipment and law enforcement, you will be fine.

borzoimom
12-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Make sure you carry chains...they are often required over the summit. Do not for any reason go off the main highway. I am assuming you are taking highway 50, you really would have no reason to go off of that. Highway 50 is very beautiful, but very scary when it snows.

I went up with my mom once I chained her car and my car up...I would never do that again...if you have to chain up pay one of the guys the 20 bucks.

Just go very slow over the summit.

Tune into the road condition station they will have the signs posted...highway 50 is very well maintained by snow equipment and law enforcement, you will be fine.
I agree with caseysmom- stay on the main road. They said here to have a bright colored tarp to put on the roof of your car if you get stuck. We have flourescent orange in my van and same in his truck... Not expecting anyting but the idea was a good one. It was on NBC news.