PDA

View Full Version : Just a cold?

slleipnir
12-21-2006, 05:10 PM
What do you think? I've gone to the doctor twice so far, and they tell me it's just a virus and will pass eventually....Well, it's already been 2 weeks, and things seem to be getting worse, not better.

It started off I just had this awful cough. After about a week, I got a runny nose, and sinus congestion, and just felt bad. Now, I don't seem to be coughing as much, but sometimes I can't stop coughing to the point I have tears in my eyes, and even gag. Also, my mouth is REALLY dry. I cannot stand it anymore. I can deal with the cough, I guess, but the dry mouth is really annoying. I can't sleep at all because it's like there is no moisture in my mouth. I've been drinking a lot, but even with liquid in my mouth, it still feels dry.

Any ideas? I'm going crazy! I've never been sick this long in my entire life...

lizbud
12-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Are you taking any over the counter type medicine to ease the discomfort?

I've had a scratchy throat for awhile myself. I just take a cough drop. & it
does help some.

slleipnir
12-21-2006, 05:26 PM
The dr told me to just take cough meds. I have been. I've tried 3 different kinds. Some Advil Cold and Sinus...The part that is driving me crazy is the dry mouth...I'm seriously going to go crazy if it doesn't go away. Would a vapourizer help for that??

lizbud
12-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Yes, it should help some, It's used mostly for chest congestion, but
helps with breathing.Also, if you breath through your mouth because your
nose is stuffed up, that can dry out your mouth. Drink more water. :)

borzoimom
12-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Try "cold eeze". It contains zinc and its great to kick butt with a cold. It changes the bacteria in the throat to neutralize and it works.. ( old singing knowledge..)

slleipnir
12-21-2006, 05:37 PM
I've had a stuffy nose a lot, but never has it dried my mouth out like this...

lizbud
12-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Most cough medicine dries your body out.Are you drinking more liquids?
It would help with the dry mouth.

kuhio98
12-21-2006, 06:27 PM
That sounds like how mine started. I coughed so long and hard that I pee'ed my pants! :o :o I went back to the doctor and they ordered a chest x-ray. I had pneumonia. They gave me a mega-dose of antibiotics right there at the hospital and I felt better in 2 days.

borzoimom
12-21-2006, 06:28 PM
I've had a stuffy nose a lot, but never has it dried my mouth out like this...
Try the cold eeze or zinc lozenges- you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.