PDA

View Full Version : The Preacher falls silent

Glacier
12-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Preacher has given his last sermon; His big voice will no longer echo through the forest.

The blockage in Preacher's intestines was a large tumor. He was full of cancer with tumors on his spleen, stomach, abdomen wall and throughout his GI tract. He had been fighting this battle for a long time without showing any signs. He became symptomatic this week when a small piece of his Sunday dinner got stuck on one of the intestinal tumors and punctured his small intestine. His prognosis was bleak, less than a 10 per cent chance he would ever recover from the intensine damage and the cancer would have taken him very soon even without this incident. After a discussion with my vet and my husband, I chose not to let Preacher wake up. He would not have been Preacher anymore and he would have had no quality of life. It would have been selfish of me to ask him to stay any longer. I always said that when Preacher stopped eating, it would be time. I desperately wish I had been wrong about that.

Preacher was my introduction to fostering and six months after his arrival, my first foster failure. Stuart told me that I should "just adopt him. No one is ever going to love that ol' mutt like you do." He was right. I adored that dog. I signed the papers the next morning to adopt Preacher and his best friend, Franklin. They could not be seperated at the time. Franklin couldn't function without Preacher. He was afraid of everything and Preacher was afraid of nothing. Franklin now explores his world with the same confidence Preacher once had. Perhaps Preacher knew his work with Franklin was done. Franky and I will both be a little lost without him.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/preach.jpg
I will love and miss you forever. It is so quiet without you. It is appropriate that you left on the longest, darkest night of the year. You brought me great joy and love, but my world is a little darker without you today. Rest well, ol' boy. You've earned it.

caseysmom
12-21-2006, 02:36 PM
I am so sorry. You know you did the right thing and he had a wonderful life.

{{{hugs}}}

Karen
12-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Oh, sweet Preacher, your sermons will now echo up at the Rainbow Bridge.

What a lesson you taught - of love, and acceptance and patience in your dealings with others, especially Franklin.

Rest in peace, hwol with delight, and send some blessing down to your momma and poppa, as the days grow ever lighter again.

Jadapit
12-21-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm so very sorry. You did the right thing for Preacher. He couldn't have had a better life or home than he did with you guys. (((Hugs)))

RIP handsome Preacher.

Daisy and Delilah
12-21-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm so sorry, Tamara and Stuart and the rest of the pack. God needed another angel and it was Preacher that heard the call. Rest in Peace sweetheart and play hard at the bridge :(

borzoimom
12-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh honey- I am so sorry to hear this. You made a good decission for him to rest. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family. I am so sorry.. ..

pitc9
12-21-2006, 02:51 PM
RIP Sweet Preacher. Your time on earth was served well and full of love. Both the giving and receiving kind.

We here at PT have suffered too many losses lately of wonderful PT members. I think we'll all be glad to start a new year, but we'll never forget the wonderful group of PT pups that have met at the bridge this year.

Rest forever in peace Preacher.

(it's hard to sit here at work crying for the loss of a dog I've never known, and try to explain it to people...they'll never understand)

{hugs} to you, Stuart and the fur crew

GreyhoundGirl
12-21-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm so sorry. (((HUGS))) But you did the right thing. (((many more HUGS))) :(

Play hard at the rainbow bridge.

ramanth
12-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Oh Tamara... my heart sank when I saw Karen's link to this thread. :( :(

RIP sweet Preacher. You will be so very very missed.

shais_mom
12-21-2006, 03:02 PM
oh my - tears rolling - I'm so sorry to hear this Tamara.
2 so quickly together for you. I can't imagine.
GodSpeed sweet Preacher play hard at the bridge. I know there will be lots of PT critters, grandmas, grandpas,moms and dads to ease his transistion. Including our own sweet Corrina.

**sending lots of hugs to you right now**

Freckles
12-21-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm so sorry to read this. Remember the good times.

K9soul
12-21-2006, 04:25 PM
I am so very sorry Tamara :(. My heart is breaking.. Romp and play at the bridge dear Preacher. I am sure you can see and hear and run again as you did when you were a pup. There are plenty of furry angels to greet you.

Vela
12-21-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm sorry you lost him. He had a great life with you and you did what was best for him. That's a hard thing =(

Husky_mom
12-21-2006, 04:30 PM
when I saw the title, I could not believe my eyes until I saw it was in the Memorial section.......

So sorry what you have gone through, but you certainly did the right thing, RIP lovely dearly Preacher.......you will be missed by many in homa and many more in here.....Woo Roo.......weŽll miss you

lizbud
12-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Oh no. :( :( I am so sorry. Preacher had a wonderful life with you and
Stuart. I really didn't expect for this to end this way. I am so sorry for your
loss. (I feel it's our loss as well.) :( Rest in Peace sweet boy.

Ginger's Mom
12-21-2006, 04:36 PM
I am so sorry, Tamara. :( What a wonderful handsome guy. Because you loved him so much you did what was best for him. {{{Big Hugs}}} to you and all of your family. Run free and explore at the Bridge, dear Preacher.

Dorothy39
12-21-2006, 04:44 PM
You gave Preacher such a "Meaningful" Life as well as a "dignified " passing.

Your dedication and loyalty must seem to *Pale* in comparison with what he Gave back to you and Franky~

I'm so very sorry that You had to make that final decision Glacier~You always do what is Best for your Dogs~ So, you never failed on Preacher!!

May his Memory Bring Brighter Days back to You~

May He Forever Rest in Peace~

Cinder & Smoke
12-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Preacher has given his last sermon;
His big voice will no longer echo through the forest.

Stuart told me that I should "just adopt him.
No one is ever going to love that ol' mutt like you do."

He was right. I adored that dog.
I signed the papers the next morning to adopt Preacher and his best friend, Franklin.

Franky and I will both be a little lost without him.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/preach.jpg

Rest well, ol' boy. You've earned it.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

Dear Tamara and Stuart ~

Tears are streaming ...

We were just composing a new prayer on yesterday's thread -
Asking for God's Help with Preacher.

I guess our prayer was answered ...
By your final compassionate act of love - sparing poor Preacher
the pain and suffering of fighting a loosing battle with old age.

I'll go out tonight to listen for the New Voice at the Bridge ...
God's Bridge Choir has Preacher as the newest member.

Sing Well, dear Preacher - we'll all be listening.
Wear you Wings and Robe with Pride - you've earned them.

Franklin says "THANKS for being My Buddy ... We're all gonna *miss* you!"

{{{Hugs}}} to Tamara & Stuart

/s/ http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif Phred

Cincy'sMom
12-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Reast Easy, Peacher. We will miss you

kuhio98
12-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Tamara ~ I am so sorry to hear about Preacher. I'm so glad he was healthy right up to the end. May his creator hold him gently in his arms until we are all reunited again.

elizabethann
12-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Oh no...I'm so very sorry. He really was a handsome man, wasn't he.

RIP dear Preacher.

luvofallhorses
12-21-2006, 06:36 PM
oh God, I am so very sorry! :( (((HUGS))) he was one of my favorite dogs here. :( you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-21-2006, 06:39 PM
I am so, so sorry Tamara. I don't really even know what to say. :(

I had no idea that Preacher was ill until now. He had a wonderful life with you and your crew and will be very missed by many. He was a wonderful, beautiful dog.

Killearn Kitties
12-21-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm so sorry! :( That was so sudden and such a shock.

dukedogsmom
12-21-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm so very sorry. I always loved that old soul. He seemed so sweet. Please know we, too, feel your grief. Preacher must have been your heart dog and I know so very much the hurt and lonliness. Please contact me if you ever want to talk.

Preacher,
Rest easy now and please be sure and look over your mama. She's hurting a lot right now and needs to feel your presence. We're glad you're not in pain anymore.

Giselle
12-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Oh no. Those eyes are just melting through me. Our firsts always mean so much more, don't they? But in the end, we have to be thankful for all that they've taught us and for all that we've learned. I'm sure Preacher feels the same way :)

captain
12-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Oh Tamara, you know I don't get on to PT as often as I used to - and was so sad to read about your darling Preacher boy.

{{{hugs}}} to you and Stuart.
Your first foster failure - and I THANK HIM for making you that way!!! :D

anna_66
12-21-2006, 10:07 PM
I seen the name of this thread and knew what had happened:( I'm so sorry that it had to be this way, but you knew what was best.

I can't seem to stop crying, I can just imagine how you feel right now.
I'm so very sorry:(

(((HUGS)))

RIP Dear Preacher

cyber-sibes
12-21-2006, 10:10 PM
:( *tears streaming down*
My heart leapt into my throat when I saw this thread... :(
((((hugs)))) Good bye Preacher, safe journey as join your pack at the Rainbow Bridge, sweet boy. There is a new star in those northern heavens tonight.
Thank you, Tamara and Stewart, for sharing your dear Preacher with us. You gave us the chance to love him, too. (((hugs)))

sisterdog
12-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Glacier,
Major tears here. I'm so sorry to hear about Preacher's passing. From your stories about him, I came to feel for him as a stately old gentleman, very dignified and graceful. Even though I knew him only through PT, I felt as close to him as one of my own dogs. Rest easy Preacher, until we all meet up again at Rainbow Bridge.

critter crazy
12-21-2006, 10:33 PM
I am so sorry!! RIP Preacher!!

molucass
12-21-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. :(
Many hugs and good thoughts coming your way.

Rest in Peace dear Preacher!

wolf_Q
12-21-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Preacher was lucky to find such a caring person as you to love him. Rest in peace sweet boy.

K9karen
12-22-2006, 12:28 AM
*Tears*. Sing loud and long, sweet Preacher. We mortals sing your praises as well. Safe journey to the Bridge, dear Preacher! We will always remember your dignity and companionship. Take care of Tamara and Stuart from your heavenly cloud.

cloverfdx
12-22-2006, 01:51 AM
Oh Tamara my heart sank and tears started streaming when i read this, i am so very sorry {{hugs}}. Sweetheart Preacher rest easy handsome boy :(.

Flatcoatluver
12-22-2006, 02:12 AM
Tamera, I am so sorry. (((HUGS))) Stay stong, I know you always do.
Rest in peace dear Preacher.

-Bre

chocolatepuppy
12-22-2006, 04:58 AM
Tamara, I'm so very sorry. :( Preacher will always walk beside you. May he Rest in Peace.

Sudilar
12-22-2006, 07:00 AM
As I sit here typing, tears are flowing freely. RIP, Preacher, your Mom gave you the greatest gift by freeing you from your pain. Even though by doing it, her heart was torn out. You were such a handsome boy! You were very loved. Watch over Tamara and Stuart from RB, while playing with all our PT RB furbabies ...all painfree and whole again. Hugs.

My Shiloh left for RB the same way Preacher did. She had advanced bladder cancer and within 2 weeks, had to be sent on her way.

My heart goes out to you!

Queen of Poop
12-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Tears streaming for you and Preacher. Trying to swallow the lump in my throat. With my loss being a week old, this has hit my emotions very hard. You gave Preacher the most wonderful life he could have imagined. He knew he was very much loved. And you gave the best gift of all by letting him go. Preacher enjoy yourself at the bridge with no more tummy pains, old age pains, etc. And watch your legs, Sebastian is there and he likes to chase dogs and might nip your heels!! Hugs for you Tamara.

My Peanuts
12-22-2006, 09:21 AM
I got chills reading this. I'm so very sorry to hear about Preacher. I'm glad that his suffering was short. :(

RIP Preacher :(

mruffruff
12-22-2006, 09:26 AM
I am so sorry that Preacher had to leave us. I know how hard the decision was, but I know it was the right one.

Preacher was a sweet, dignified old guy. He will be missed by many.

Lots of hugs for both of you.

Cataholic
12-22-2006, 09:43 AM
I am so very sorry. RIP, sweet Preacher boy. :(

Miss Z
12-22-2006, 09:52 AM
I really am very sorry for your loss of Preacher. It's never easy to lose a companion so dear to your heart. You made the decision that is feared and felt by all pet lovers across the world, but deep down it was the right thing to do. I'm sure Preacher would have thanked you for putting his interests first.

Rest in peace, sweet Preacher. :(

Logan
12-22-2006, 11:00 AM
What a beautiful love story the two of you created, Tamara. I'm so sorry you have lost him, but isn't it wonderful that his illness affected him only for a short time?

Rest in peace, Preacher. Say hello to my babies for me.

Logan

animal_rescue
12-22-2006, 11:11 AM
I just saw this. :(

RIP Sweet boy, you will never be forgotten.

k9krazee
12-22-2006, 12:11 PM
My heart sank when I read this :( Tamara, I am so sorry for your loss, you can tell by your words how much you loved your boy. Rest easy, Preacher, you will be missed.

Denyce
12-22-2006, 01:11 PM
My very deepest sympathes go out to you. I don't get a chance to get online as often as before but when I do I look for posts from you. I love your stories of your dogs and have learned so much from you. As soon as I saw the title of the post my eyes welled up and I can't stop from crying even though I am at work.

Preacher was a very lucky dog to have found you and I know both of your lives were deeply enriched by the love you shared. Sequoia and I will send out a wooo to you and Preacher tonight.

Denyce

Kfamr
12-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Oh Tamara, I am in tears. I am so, so sorry. I missed the orginal thread and started reading when my heart sank when I noticed it was locked.. it only meant one thing and I was hoping I was wrong.

I can't get over this. I am so sorry.

Preacher is such a handsome boy, he will be missed by us all, that's for sure.

gemini9961
12-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Tamara I am so sorry. I am just now seeing this. RIP Preacher.

Preacher, watch over all the other RB pups.

finn's mom
01-01-2007, 09:39 PM
I am so sorry that I missed this. What an amazing life you lead and what tremendous lives you give those animals. I am constantly amazed at your spirit, and the spirit of your family. Preacher will be in my thoughts tonight.

Lobodeb
01-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Major LES here. :( Tamara, my heart once again goes otu to you in this most difficult time. Your tribute to Preacher was beautiful.

Godspeed, Preacher. Play hard at the bridge, sweet boy.

lv4dogs
01-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Oh Tamara I am so very sorry for your loss. hugs hugs & more hugs

Anita Cholaine
01-05-2007, 08:22 AM
I've just seen this. Tamara, I'm so sorry about your loss :(

RIP Preacher.
((((HUGS))))

DrKym
01-05-2007, 08:33 AM
I too just saw this, our deepest sympathy to you and yours.

.sarah
01-10-2007, 04:19 AM
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry Tamara :( RIP Preacher.