PDA

View Full Version : Competing With Your Dog

applesmom
12-20-2006, 11:27 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c360/applesmom/deetrophy.jpg

When you think of getting into competitive events with your dog, what do you think of first? Endless hours of training with just you and your dog; a wall lined with ribbons and trophies and framed certificates, bragging to your friends, or even basking in the glory of a job well done?

All of the above are of course a big part of the competitive world of dogs; but when it's all over and done with--there's so much more!

Up to, and during the time all of these things are taking place; you're having the adventure of your life and building a lifetime of memories. Memories that will make you laugh, memories that will make you smile and even memories that will bring tears to your eyes.

Memories such as; the first class you attended. You and your dog tentatively approaching the other handlers and their dogs; both of you a little on edge. Your dog wondering where in the world all these strange humans and dogs could have possibly come from. Your own feeling of awe as you watch the advanced dogs perform
near-perfect exercises. The sinking feeling that the lovable wriggling mass of fur sitting at your feet could never learn to do all that.

Time flies by; the classes progress, lifetime friendships develop, and you and that wriggling mass of fur you brought to the first class gradually become a real team. So tuned into each other that with a glance of an eye or an imperceptible shift in body language you can sense each other's thoughts.

After months of training classes, early morning practice sessions during which you've seen hundreds of sunrises and attended more bow wow matches than you'd known existed; the decision is made, the two of you are finally ready for competition!

Whether your dog does everything perfect or blows it royally, each competition is another complete page of memories. Getting up before daylight, loading your dog and stopping along the way to pick up other competitors and their dogs; the never ending dog talk of training tips, breeding plans, pedigree's etc., roadside stops for coffee and dog walking are just the beginning of a long and exhilarating day.

The build up of nerves before entering the ring, the joy of compliments on your dog from the judge as you're handed the qualifying ribbon or even better, the high scoring trophy; or the soft spoken, "I'm sorry", if an exercise is blown are only a small part of the day. When surrounded by fellow dog lovers and their dogs and the resultant camaraderie, cleanups, grooming etc., the real world ceases to exist. When the day is done, win or lose, there's always tomorrow!

As time and experience progress; you begin to travel longer distances, make more friends, come to know more great dogs and your world expands. You begin to think that maybe you're a little "touched in the head". No one but a "dog person" would fly with their dog to a far away tourist attraction; book a room for a weekend in a fancy hotel, share that room with two other women and 4 other dogs and never leave the hotel grounds once during the entire visit.

Over time you reach your goal and the ribbons, trophies, and certificates really do accumulate on the wall. Time passes and you begin thinking of them as dust catchers. That's when you look back and realize the whole experience was much more than anyone could ever dream possible! Over and over again you've experienced and witnessed first hand the incredible bond that can develop between man and dog, and you have a strong sense of why man invited a wolf into the camp thousands of years ago, and why the wolf agreed to come into the camp!

All of the training classes, early morning training sessions, hours pouring over pedigrees, evenings around the campfires, hours spent at friends homes whelping puppies, trips to the vet, crying with a friend over a dead or dying dog, long distance phone calls, nights spent crammed into a camper with four dogs, dog club meetings, and seminars are not just an added bonus. They're as much if not more, a part of competing with dogs as the dust catchers on the trophy wall!

borzoimom
12-20-2006, 11:33 AM
ROFL!! YUP!!! Crystal to dust, plaques etc.. And all you can think of is- when is the next show and do it again!

agilityk9trainer
12-20-2006, 02:07 PM
I just love that!! I can read it over and over. Every word is so true and so beautifully put. I just got back from Wichita Falls, TX where we did agility. Great show and great memories - both in the ring and out of it.

I was in the hotel on Friday night with two of my friends and five dogs, and we were trimming our dogs' toenails. (In agility, nails need to be kept short). I commented to my friends, "We sure are a group of movers and shakers, sitting in a hotel room on Friday night trimming dogs' nails and talking about other people's dogs!"

Of course, it doesn't seem that long ago that i would have been sitting around with my friends doing my nails and talking about boys!

And, of course, the memories in the ring are just as strong. This last weekend, we got a fantastic QQ. We took two firsts, a second and a third. We could have had three firsts. Aslan tied with another dog and was in a run-off for first, but I wasn't feeling well. I needed to conserve my strength for the Jumpers with Weaves run and that QQ, so I conceded and took second. And the third place finish was a great run. I was not on my game with timing, and had to call Aslan off of obstacles. What a great dog he is, responding to each call off! Whew!! Those are the memories you take with you of the ring.

And, that's just a small part of one weekend!

And, yes, one of the great things about dog sports is going away for the weekend and leaving the real world completely behind. It's amazing how it just disappears for an entire weekend, and all that seems to matter is agility and where to eat!

GreyhoundGirl
12-20-2006, 02:09 PM
lol, yep. So far the only Christmas party I've been invited to is the Agility team one. lol... :rolleyes:

applesmom
12-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks agilityk9trainer. Writing that piece a year or so ago flooded my mind with countless replays of truly treasured memories! :)

Congratulations on yours and Aslan's exciting weekend! Hope you're feeling better now.

borzoimom
12-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Hope you do not mind, I copied it and sent to two people I am close too that show as well.. Is that okay?

applesmom
12-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Hope you do not mind, I copied it and sent to two people I am close too that show as well.. Is that okay?

That's fine as long as it's properly attributed to me; applesmom! :)

borzoimom
12-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Of course- actually your name Miss Do not forward.. lol.. ( yes the real one not that one.. )

applesmom
12-20-2006, 06:59 PM
L O L

cloverfdx
12-21-2006, 04:45 AM
The main thing for me is that the dogs have fun and actually want to be in the ring, be it Agility, Flyball (some dogs running.. well walking at the moment who should not be in the ring at all :( ), Obedience is a big one for me if the dog does not want to trial then thats it, and is up to the dog.

applesmom
12-21-2006, 05:25 AM
The main thing for me is that the dogs have fun and actually want to be in the ring, be it Agility, Flyball (some dogs running.. well walking at the moment who should not be in the ring at all :( ), Obedience is a big one for me if the dog does not want to trial then thats it, and is up to the dog.

I agree. If it isn't fun for the dog; find something else to do with them that they do enjoy.

Suki Wingy
12-21-2006, 02:11 PM
I think about how I CAN'T because he is still not good off leash, and he's not reg'd with anything. :( We're working for a CGC but he won't heal still

agilityk9trainer
12-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Well, you're starting out correctly. The CGC is the first thing to get. Keep working, and I'm sure you'll get that, too. As you can see below, all of my dogs have their CGC. It was their first certification!

As far as not registered with anything, there are many registeries for dogs who aren't purebreds. You just have to regsiter them. If your dog is a purebred without papers, the AKC allows something called an ILP (Indefiniate Listing Privledge (sp)). You can apply for an ILP, and it allows your dog to compete in all AKC performance events. However, you cannot compete in conformation. And, your dog must be spayed or neutered.

My American Eskimo has an ILP.

agilityk9trainer
12-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Is the picture you used at the top of this thread one of your awards? If so, please tell me the story behind it.

applesmom
12-27-2006, 12:58 AM
Is the picture you used at the top of this thread one of your awards? If so, please tell me the story behind it.

That's Dee's tropy from the futurity at the 1981 German Shorthaired Pointer Club of America National field trial held at Lake Whitney, Texas.

These trophies are commisioned to a renowned sporting dog sculpter strictly for this event. They are a genuine work of art (and in my opinion) one of the most beautiful dog sculptures I've ever seen. They're also one of the most coveted in the breed as they represent tangible proof of a breeders dreams come true.

This was a carefully planned breeding and the litter nomination was sent in the day after the puppies were born.

We'd planned the trip to the Nationals for over two years--even before the breeding took place. As Dee progressed, even with limited trialing, she quickly became one of the top derby dogs in the country, due to her superb natural abilities and excellent field manners.

Then we were hit with an unexpected development. A couple of weeks before the Nationals my husband who had been handling her in previous trials wound up on crutches and we couldn't go.

The owner of her sire who we'd co-owned her with (just in case something unforseen should come up) took her and handled her for us. It took two days to run all the dogs that were entered in the futurity and we were on pins and needles the entire time. When the call finally came, we were thrilled at the news of her win. But my husband was terribly dissapointed that he hadn't been able to handle her himself.

The beautiful trophy and the nice check that accompanied it helped to ease his pain somewhat. That was the only time we ever made money on a dog. ;)

Surprisingly with all the stamina and athleticism she displayed in the field, Dee was the most laid back GSP I've ever known.

Shortly after the Nationals her career was cut short by an emergency spay! :(

agilityk9trainer
12-27-2006, 01:33 PM
I wish I could see the trophy better. I thought it looked like one that was very important! How sad that your husband couldn't go to handle her. My dogs wouldn't work that well for another handler, but perhaps field is different from agility in that respect.

Thanks for the story. Dee sounds like a fantastic dog. I knew you had won several highly coveted top honors. I don't remember seeing Dee's picture. Have you ever posted it?

applesmom
12-27-2006, 03:56 PM
I wish I could see the trophy better. I thought it looked like one that was very important! How sad that your husband couldn't go to handle her. My dogs wouldn't work that well for another handler, but perhaps field is different from agility in that respect.

Thanks for the story. Dee sounds like a fantastic dog. I knew you had won several highly coveted top honors. I don't remember seeing Dee's picture. Have you ever posted it?

We trained together often and Dee had known Bill from the day she was born. Field trials are quite different from agility, especially with the pointing breeds. Field trial grounds can cover hundreds of acres.

For the most part the dog works independently and often out of sight of the handler. Each handler has a scout who rides ahead to keep track of where the dogs are if they range out of sight. The scouts have no interaction with the dog--they're just spotters. Of course, the handlers, scouts and judges don't have any idea where the birds are; it's strictly up to the dogs and their abilities to find them.

The dog is sparingly guided by the handlers whistle when necessary (mostly to keep them on course) until the dog actually makes contact with a bird(s). At that point the handler will dismount and flush the bird or have the dog relocate if necessary. The handler does not carry a shotgun. If the birds are to be shot; they are shot by official "gunners" and the dog must remain steady until it is sent for the retrieve. Once the bird is delivered "softly and tenderly to hand" the dog is sent off to continue hunting.

Compared to other competitive venues, there isn't a whole lot to "handling" a pointing dog once they have been properly trained.

I haven't posted any photo's of Dee because I couldn't find any. No digital cameras in those days! ;) I did come across an an 8X10 the other day but haven't had time to sit down and scan it and reduce the size yet.

Here is a closer look at the artwork.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c360/applesmom/Deedee.jpg

agilityk9trainer
12-27-2006, 05:53 PM
It is beautiful artwork.

You'll need to get that pic of Dee put into a more durable format (ie. a CD), and then post a pic of her for us to see. Either her or on the other forum./ Also, what titles did she wind up with? In other words, ad death what was her formal name with all the initials, etc.?