PDA

View Full Version : School tells kids there is no Santa

sparks19
12-20-2006, 11:18 AM
'Santa Claus does not exist' school tells stunned kids
Add your view

Santa Claus is exposed as a fraud as he pretends to deliver presents on Christmas Eve
A primary school has been accused of spoiling Christmas for pupils after a lesson telling them that Santa Claus does not exist.

Children as young as nine were told that only 'small children believe in Father Christmas'.

And yesterday their parents criticised teachers for taking the 'magic' out of the festive period.

• Ever had a scary Santa moment? Send us your pictures

• Experts are going crackers over 40s Christmas find

The blunder came after the Year 5 pupils were given seasonal worksheets containing various festive classroom exercises.

One began by informing the children that 'many small children believe in Father Christmas'.

It then went on to explain that thousands of letters sent by these children to Santa every year are actually answered by the Post Office.

The youngsters were then asked to write a pretend letter from the Post Office to a child explaining why their requests for presents had been refused.

Now Ladysmith Junior School in Exeter, Devon, is accused of taking a decision that should have been made by the parents themselves.

One father-of-two, who asked not to be named, said: "My wife and I make a special effort to keep the belief in Santa in our daughter's mind as we believe it adds to the magic of Christmas for her and her four-year-old brother.

"We even recall her shaking with excitement some years ago when sat at the bottom of our bed rummaging through her stocking.

"What gives the school the right to decide when children should know the truth about such a harmless matter when knowing the truth does take away that little bit of magic?"

"She'll probably figure it out soon enough anyway, but we might have had one last Christmas without her knowing if it hadn't been for the school."

Yesterday the headmistress of the 460-pupil school said she had written to families to apologise and assured them the lesson will not be taught again.

Jackie Jackson said: "Having three children myself, I understand how parents feel.

"The last thing we wanted to do was take away the positive and magical side of Christmas and I have wished all the families a happy time."

She continued: "We can't go back and undo this but I have written to all the families to apologise. It was very unfortunate and a bad mistake. We are not in the business of shattering children's dreams."

Yesterday a spokesman for the Royal Mail confirmed it receives around 750,000 letters for Father Christmas from children around the UK every year.

He said: "They are all forwarded to Santa and we also send a special reply."

The worksheet was taken from the Internet and created by educational charity, the Hamilton Trust.

Yesterday the trust's director Ruth Merttens, defended the content.

She said: "I feel sorry for the teacher concerned.

"But we produce the worksheets and it is up to teachers how they use them in class."

She added: "I don't want to upset anybody but I would say by the age of ten it seems unlikely that a child wouldn't be aware of Santa's imaginary nature."

Last week a primary school teacher was sacked for telling her young class that Santa does not exist.

The supply teacher apparently decided the pupils - some as young as nine - were too old to believe in Father Christmas.

The teacher, who has not been named, is believed to have told the class at Boldmere Junior School, in Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands: "All of you are old enough to know there is no Father Christmas or fairies.

If you ask your parents to tell you they will say there is no such thing.

Amanda Piovesana, whose daughter is in Year 5, said: "I am upset because it has taken away a magical part of Christmas for my daughter and a teacher should not have the right to do that. My little girl was very upset."

At yet another school, pupils went home in tears after being told Father Christmas does not exist by a teacher who was telling a class of nine-year-olds how Christmas is celebrated across the world.

Angry parents at Calcot Junior School in Berkshire said the teacher had 'ruined' Christmas for their children.

Mel Barefield, whose son was in the lesson, said: 'The teacher had said to them that Father Christmas wasn't real, Rudolph was a cartoon character and that Christmas trees come from Germany.'

A governor said: 'It's not just Father Christmas that's the problem. We also have issues with things like the Tooth Fairy.

'From now on when a child asks if Father Christmas exists the teacher should say, "I'm not sure. Go home and ask your parents"'.

Rachel McGauley, 29, whose eight-year-old daughter Shannon is in Year 4 at the school, said: "It is very bad.

"As parents it is for us to decide when we tell our children and some of the parents in that class could have got away with it for another year and now they can't.

"I just hope my little girl does not twig because she is in the year below."

Sam Horne, whose children Keiron, eight, and six-year-old Charlotte attend the school,said: "Mine still believe in Father Christmas, and when I was a kid I did not find out until I was about eleven.

"It is like a loss of innocence. Children should have the right to stay innocent for as long as possible."

In a statement issued through the local Education Authority, Devon County Council, head Mrs Jackie Jackson added: "The choice of this worksheet was a genuine mistake by a teacher which we are all very sad about.

"As a school we delight in the magic of childhood and believe that Christmas is a very special time.

"In the last week the children have been enjoying carol singing and a Christmas fair and, in the true spirit of the season, raising money for children at the Ugandan school which we support.

I have apologised to the parents and this worksheet will never be used in the school again."

How do you feel about this?

At least the school apologized for it but why would they even think this would be appropriate. I would be outraged if I were a parent of a child in that school. How heart breaking it must have been for the children that still believed. What is the harm in believing there is a Santa Claus?

Husky15
12-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Very inappropriate and uncalled for. It is not the school's decision to disclose the truth of Santa, it is the parents' decision (as clearly stated in the article). They may have apologized, and said that they do not agree with what the sheets of paper said, but they had to be looked over, and they were still handed out nevertheless.

"It is like a loss of innocence. Children should have the right to stay innocent for as long as possible."
So true. That's how it felt when I lost belief in Santa. Of course, I'm over it now.

areias
12-20-2006, 02:19 PM
:eek: :eek:

Santa dosen't exist?!

;)

momoffuzzyfaces
12-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Gosh, Santa doesn't exist, God doesn't exist, the moon landing was a fake... Is ANY thing real in this world anymore? :rolleyes:

GreyhoundGirl
12-20-2006, 03:53 PM
:eek:

I think it's downright mean. It's improper for someone to tell someone their belifes aren't real. So why can we tell kids that their beliefes aren't real. That's outrageous! :mad:

Gosh, Santa doesn't exist, God doesn't exist, the moon landing was a fake... Is ANY thing real in this world anymore? :rolleyes:

So true. :rolleyes:

Flatcoatluver
12-20-2006, 03:56 PM
That is way to sad. That is one of the most exciting things about Christmas for kids. I remember when I was younger that was one of the most exciting thing about Christmas, I remember trying to stay awake as long as I could just to get a peek at him.

CatLuvrs
12-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I have a 6 year old daughter and if that was her school.....I would be FURIOUS with them! That is SOOO uncalled for! :mad:

GreyhoundGirl
12-20-2006, 04:00 PM
That is way to sad. That is one of the most exciting things about Christmas for kids. I remember when I was younger that was one of the most exciting thing about Christmas, I remember trying to stay awake as long as I could just to get a peek at him.

LOL, me too. I remember complaining that it was the only day of the year I could stay up. Wierd how that works... I mean, I'm not tired any night but that night I could never get to sleep. :rolleyes:

cyber-sibes
12-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Ho-Ho-Ho! I know a whole bunch of educators who are gonna get a lump of coal in their stockings! ;)

theterrierman
12-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Wow....every day I think people cannot get any stupider. Every day I am proven horribly wrong. I'm in a Gr.9-12 high school, and the teachers still mention Santa like he's real just for the benefit of the special needs kids. I can't believe someone could be so dumb as to tell 9 and 10-year olds that there was no Santa, especially this close to Christmas.

sparks19
12-20-2006, 05:04 PM
this board amazes me everyday :D I am a member of another dog forum and the response to this article was the complete opposite of the response here. On the other forum there is nothing but "well believing in Santa is misleading. How do parents explain to poor kids why they don't get as much as someone else?"

I love this forum. :D the point is not whether believing in Santa is right or wrong (which I can't see the harm in imagination) The point it that it is NOT a teachers place to tell kids if it is or isn't real. That is the PARENT'S job. just like the parent is responsible for teaching their kids that it is not how much you get.... it's the thought that counts.

I fear that soon kids will not be allowed to use their imaginations at all.

TamanduaGirl
12-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Wow Santa used to come to our school and hand out oranges. We all knew it was Al from the local store in our tinny tinny town but it was fun. Then one day was set aside each year santa would come around on his tractor and hand out pop cycles, yes pop cycles to all the kids waiting at the side of the road. It was always cold enough, snow on the ground usually, they didn't melt :)

momoffuzzyfaces
12-20-2006, 05:57 PM
I was 9 when my brother (who was 12) spilled the beans about Santa. I was shocked!!! My mother was so mad at him. She wanted me to stay innocent a little longer. He was embarrassed that I still believed. We went to the same school and his friends teased him. (The Jr. High and grade school were in the same building way back then) That was one of the only times I remember Mom being mad at him! :D

Part of the magic of Christmas (other than Jesus birthday) is watching the wonder in kids eyes. I love seeing little kids watch the lights and things when it's all new to them. I supposed that offends someone too. :D

sparks19
12-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Speaking of that. We had the sweetest little boy come into our store with his mom yesterday. He was probably a little over 2 years old. He had just woken up from a nap and was very tired and was being bashful and clingy to his mother. My boss said something about Santa and the kid snapped right out of it. He got a HUGE smile on his face and just started talking like crazy and he was so excited to leave cookies and milk out for Santa. He was a very sweet boy and it was so nice to see that innocence and to see his face light up like a Christmas tree at the mention of Santa's name. how could anything that brings so much joy be so wrong?

Luvin Labs
12-22-2006, 11:36 AM
If they told that to my kid, I would personally go to that school and start playing bowling with whoever said that and told people to say that.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I can't wait to bring kids into the world and introduce them to Santa and our (fiancee and I) traditions for the holidays!

Suki Wingy
12-22-2006, 05:34 PM
My 4 year old sister's preschool teacher told her Santa was alive a long time ago but now he's dead. :eek: She was really crying and we had to tell her her teacher was kidding for her to get over it. I think it's horrible to tell kids he's not real.

junescrater716
12-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I would pull my kid from the school. :mad: Kids are already losing the spirit of Christmas teachers don't need to enforce it!!!!! :mad:

animal_rescue
12-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Grr it's totally uncalled for!

In 1st grade I remember my teacher telling my class that we had no santa claus and that Christmas was all about Baby Jesus. Also we had to pray to God that we would understand Christmas was about the birth of Jesus and not about gifts. I did go to a private school at the time too.

My mom went in there and chewed the principal out for what that teacher did.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Grr it's totally uncalled for!

In 1st grade I remember my teacher telling my class that we had no santa claus and that Christmas was all about Baby Jesus. Also we had to pray to God that we would understand Christmas was about the birth of Jesus and not about gifts. I did go to a private school at the time too.

My mom went in there and chewed the principal out for what that teacher did.
Well, she was partially right in that it's about the birth of Jesus but way out of line telling the kids there is no Santa. It was not her place to tell the kids anything really. She should just have told them to ask their parents.

king2005
12-31-2006, 07:48 PM
What do you mean Santa isn't real??
He left me a gift under the tree. he got me 30 boxed of KD :eek:

Hehehe I foundout when I was about 7-8ish. I was just too smart & tricked my dad. I said. Dad how much did the 10g fish tank cost that I got for xmas way back? because I want to buy a nother one.. Dad said about 50.00 & I said HA!! Thought Santa brought that.. My dad said you little bugger you, you got me. He said The whole Santa thing is to make the day special & fun for kids. He asked me not to tell my sister as it wouldn't be fair to her. I never did tell her, or anyone else.

Here I am at 24 & still getting a gift from Santa :D His gift is the big special Gift lol & yes he really did give me 30 boxes of KD this year :D :eek: