PDA

View Full Version : I quit PETCO...

moosmom
12-19-2006, 01:32 PM
The last straw was drawn yesterday. After speaking with Jeff, the manager of the store about working late Christmas Eve, he agreed to put me on early morning to mid-afternoon. I saw the "tentative" schedule on the desk and they had me on until 6:30 pm. I called the store yesterday. I asked the ASSISTANT MANAGER that did the scheduling if he could possibly make it earlier so I could spend the evening with my family going to church and having dinner. "EVERY employee works Christmas Eve". I told him that I was officially calling out sick for Sunday and hung up. I called him back a half hour later and gave my immediate notice and hung up on him again.

I know I should've talked to Jeff in person, but I'm so fed up with the whole issue. It's just not worth my time to work one day a week there. I spoke with my friend Diane who works there. He was flitting around the store with a $hit eating grin on his face claiming he fired me. (that's a laugh).

I called upstairs to my BB&B manager and told him I was available on Sunday as long as he got me out of the store by 2 pm. He was glad I could help out.

I am SOO fed up with them. I've heard some not-so-nice stories about behind the scenes animal abuse by certain employees that are condoned by the management. I can't in good conscience work for a company, or rather management, that condones such behavior. I'm just glad that I was able to get Winkie out of there before they broke his neck to put him out of his misery.

I will NEVER set foot in that store EVER again!!!

ramanth
12-19-2006, 01:36 PM
*HUGS*

You did the right thing Donna. Hope you have a nice weekend!

BC_MoM
12-19-2006, 01:44 PM
I really hope you enjoy your Christmas eve. :)

Mine has been ruined as well, because of Walmart. I'm scheduled to work open to close (12:00 to 6:00).

I'm quitting after my next paycheck.

Suki Wingy
12-19-2006, 02:02 PM
You have learned! I could NEVER work another day of retail. EVER. I much rather be mucking stalls if it comes down to it.

cyber-sibes
12-19-2006, 04:57 PM
I saw the "tentative" schedule on the desk and they had me on until 6:30 pm.I hear you girl!!!! I've been checking my schedule for weeks, and planned my family activities around the days I'm off. I even called a couple days ago & was told by my boss that I would be off New Years day. I'm having to go out of town New Year's Day because my son's car heater stopped working & it's two hour drive between us. And my husband's leaving that morning, I don't want to spend the day here alone. I'm taking the dogs with me.
Then I walk into work the other night and all of a sudden, the "tenative" schedule has been changed (thanks for the phone call) I'm down to work 2 - 6:30 on New Year's Day! :eek: I left a note (which was pretty civil
by my third re-write) and went in the next morning and told her I would not be here, period.
Haven't heard anything about it yet, but I hate the way this company treats us. They want us to commit to the schedule a month in advance, but they won't commit to it until a few days beforehand, like we don't have lives.

Wow, sorry for the rant, I guess I needed to get this off my chest, too!
(((hugs))) And a special mini (hug) to Winkie! ;)

Pembroke_Corgi
12-19-2006, 08:57 PM
I can understand how you feel...it's really unfair to ask employees to work so much during the holidays. They should have a more fair system- when I worked at the hospital (which obviously couldn't close any day of the year) we only had to work so many holidays per year and we knew a whole year in advance which ones we would work. It still sucked to go in, but at least we knew it was coming.I hate when companies are under-handed and change your schedule at the last minute.

Anyway, enjoy your Christmas eve! :)

Catty1
12-19-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm sorry - who is "Winky"?

Is there an animal services group, or Humane, that might keep an eye on this store?

BB&B sounds like a good place. Glad you are there a lot! :)

moosmom
12-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Catty1,

Winkie is my one-eyed rat I rescued from becoming a snake's dinner. I adore him!!

The problem with the "stories" is I don't have any solid proof. However, if upper management went in and compared the wellness records (records of animals taken to the vet to be humanely euthanized) with the number of animals that have "died" while in the wellness room, the figures wouldn't add up. It is strictly heresay at this point.

I'm just glad I'm outta there. I've always liked Pet Supplies Plus anyway. Their prices are far more reasonable. Example: 20 lb bag of Feline Pine costs $12.99 at Petco vs. $7.99 at Pet Supplies Plus. I rest my case.

K9karen
12-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Hey, Donna..I agree. one day a week is definitely NOT worth it! My bet is that's why they put you on that shift. I had the same problems with my retail jobs. I always got the late shift, every weekend, because the other woman were full timers. Tough. I suggested they split it every other weekend and that lasted one month. I would give them notice weeks in advance if I needed to leave early etc but just like you, it didn't work.

One more rant..sorry..

Once I went in at 6p on a weekday (right from my primary job), told the mamager I had to leave at 8p to drive my dad somewhere. She said no. I stopped the store GM, explainedd to her that she was lucky I came in at ALL, she agreed, reprimaned the assist.manager, who dragged me into a storeroom to ask me why I reported her. Well, duh. So from then on, if I knew dad or mom had a doctor's appointment, I just called out. My "parttime job, 12 hrs a week, turned into 30+. When I quit, they begged me to return. I had the highest sales in my department..more than the fulltimers and they wanted me to teach a class on sales technique. More money? No. A favor. My answer of course was "Sorry, no deal. Minimum wage, lousy dept managers, forget it"

Sorry, I bored you all. Donna, I'm so HAPPY you rescued Winky. I'm glad he's so happy, the sweet boy.

junescrater716
12-20-2006, 01:27 AM
Both my parents are in retail. :(

Sophist
12-20-2006, 01:59 AM
Good for you for standing up for yourself.

lvpets2002
12-20-2006, 09:22 AM
:( Well I am sorry your Petco job didnt work out.. I dont know why they would not work with you.. Even just a wittle bit. Jerks!! Hey you go girl & nice going taking up for yourself.. :o As I state if you dont take up for yourself then no one will.. ;)

CatLuvrs
12-20-2006, 10:35 AM
**Hugs** and more **Hugs** You did the right thing. I hope you have a great weekend with your family and a good Christmas!!!