PDA

View Full Version : Pet Talk Contest??

wolf_Q
06-17-2002, 05:07 PM
I've ran into quite a few cute little dog things lately that I think would be great contest prizes. I just can't really think of *what* to do for a contest. I think it'd be fun to have some sort of contest/game going on here. Any ideas?

mugsy
06-17-2002, 05:26 PM
That means I have to get imagnative right?? lol I'll put on my thinking cap.

Kfamr
06-17-2002, 05:26 PM
we could have a Nelly game!!!!!! whoever got the most questions right... wins!! *muwhahahahaa*

Cincy'sMom
06-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
we could have a Nelly game!!!!!! whoever got the most questions right... wins!! *muwhahahahaa*

Seems to maybe favor your winning a little there KayAnn :)

Kfamr
06-17-2002, 06:09 PM
Unless you all know Nelly's weirdest eating habit, i think i have the win!:p

Cincy'sMom
06-17-2002, 06:45 PM
Unless you all know Nelly's weirdest eating habit, i think i have the win!:p

Yep! You win!

Karen
06-17-2002, 07:03 PM
If we make it a poetry contest, who knows what parameters, that'd favor the literary types ...

Dixieland Dancer
06-18-2002, 08:05 AM
How about the silliest picture of your animal contest. It should be pet related.

anna_66
06-18-2002, 08:13 AM
I agree, I think a funny pic contest would be a good one, because it should be animal related.

pupper-lover
06-18-2002, 08:17 AM
How about a few differents categories? That way there is not just one winner. It would be lots of fun to see animals win in different categories.

A few ideas:

Photo contests - biggest, smallest, goofiest, most original, longest ears, best friends, bravest, tricks, etc.

Pet stories - share a story about your pet (rescue, cute things, adventures, etc.)

Tricks - most original trick your pet does

Etc., etc., etc. - I could think of a ton, but I'll spare you all the agony.;)

I love the idea of having a contest with multiple categories. Keep me informed on what's going on.:D

C.C.'s Mom
06-18-2002, 08:43 AM
I think this idea is great! I love the ideas Pupper-lover gave. Just... let us wait a little till the heat wave is over. Can't do much around here because the dog is overheated and the cats are out somewhere.

Ann
06-18-2002, 08:54 AM
Yay, that's a fun idea!!!!!!! *loves contests*

Kfamr, I'm sorry for having to ask such a dumb question, but who the hell is Nelly????????? I've been wondering for ages now!

ramanth
06-18-2002, 08:59 AM
Williamston is having an "Ugliest Dog" Contest this Saturday.

I'd probably get strung out if I dare entered Kia. ;)

But I'll be out of town anyway. I'm going to meet Kersey and Graham this Saturday! :D And Leslie too. ;)

Dixieland Dancer
06-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Wow! You get to meet the Super Graham and his sister Kersey!!! I'm jealous!!! ;) LOL Enjoy and please take pictures!!! :D :D :D

Logan
06-18-2002, 10:59 AM
I would be willing to sponser the prize.....maybe some good doggie treats from my friend, Shanlee, over at Jackie's community???

I think it should be a "voting" contest, regardless of what we are voting on, for all members to participate in. I will gladly pay for the treats and the shipment to the winner.

Let's think of what we want to "judge" on.

Logan

zippy-kat
06-18-2002, 01:04 PM
Is the contest only for dogs???:confused:

pupper-lover
06-18-2002, 01:12 PM
I think it should be for all animals!:D Bunnies, kitties, birdies, hamsters, etc. deserve a chance to get in on the fun, too!:)

wolf_Q
06-18-2002, 01:30 PM
I think it should be for all pets. Maybe we should designate one forum not used as much just for the contest? I also think the multiple contest thing is a good idea. Maybe some of them should be for separate types of pets (dogs/cats/horses, etc) because the prizes might be related to only one type of pet (example: treats for the pets) I know some prizes would work for any animal lover too.

Here's a thing, we could make a list of everyone who wants to participate, and whoever participates can donate at least one prize, so we will have many prizes to work with.

Also I agree that it should based on voting, so it is fair. I think you can make it so there is only one vote per person here.

Great ideas pupper-lover! I think some sort of photo contest would be great. And the pet stories...or a poem about your pet too. Maybe some sort of trivia game? *thinks* We could have a scavenger hunt. Have people hide a pic or something on their websites and find it. Ummm....a raffle? We could pick maybe the 5 most valuable prizes, and raffle them off for a pet charity (maybe Best Friends because it deals w/ all kinds of pets)? Make a separate website for that so non members could also donate.

Still trying to think of things here........anyone have any other ideas?

pupper-lover
06-18-2002, 01:39 PM
Hey, great ideas! Definately count me in to participate! I'm pretty poor, so expensive prizes are out for me, but I will do what I can to help.:D

zippy-kat
06-18-2002, 01:40 PM
How about using the creative writing contest in relation to the rainbow bridge babies? (For this contests, it seems like the prizes shouldn't really be treats--maybe something for the owner instead like a Picture Frame or.....?)

Kfamr
06-18-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Ann

Kfamr, I'm sorry for having to ask such a dumb question, but who the hell is Nelly????????? I've been wondering for ages now!

I about had a heart attack when i read you're post, but then i remembered Nelly doesn't travel all that ofton because he is afraid of airplanes. He only takes touring buses. Nelly is a 23 year old rapper. He has had some GREAT songs such as "Country Grammar" and "Ride Wit Me".... I could sit here and give you his whole life story... Hehe I'd probably get yelled at though because I'd go on for ever and ever. I'f you'd like to know more though, go to www.Nelly.net By the way his new cd comes out June 25th! Well, here in the US it does. I can't wait, I already know what my favorite song on the cd is going to be! Because they played some new tracks on the radio. The new cd is called "Nellyville".:D

pupper-lover
06-18-2002, 02:24 PM

Nelly is a 23 year old rapper. He has had some GREAT songs such as "Country Grammar" and "Ride Wit Me".... I'f you'd like to know more though, go to www.Nelly.net

I had guessed that was who you were refering to. He is the only Nelly that comes to mind, but I guess I'm biased coming from St. Louie and all. I'm not exactly a fan, but I have to stick with St. Louis talents, especially now that I live in Arkansas, where you brother's your father, and your father's your cousin. He he, I kid you.:D

Hmmm, I may be embarassing myself. Gotta go.

anna_66
06-18-2002, 02:39 PM
Hey KayAnn, that's a pretty cool website Nelly has there! I like his music alot too, I'm sure not as much as you though!

aly
06-18-2002, 04:18 PM
I think everyone has great ideas.

I always enjoy photo contests the most, even though I always lose :D

Lando
06-18-2002, 05:00 PM
I think pupper-lover has some great ideas. Count me in. I will particpate in whatever contests you chose!

Kfamr
06-18-2002, 05:24 PM
If you really like rap music, you should get his new cd coming out... My friend Josh just sent me a mp3 of a song i was talking about.... and ive been crying ever since ive heard it... the song goes "Nelly i love you, i do. all i think about is you even when im with my boo you know im crazy over you" The song is sooooooo me. It's like one of thoose wedding moments.... you're happy but you're crying... now do you guys understand how much my music means to me?!:rolleyes:

Presley
06-18-2002, 07:36 PM
to be young and inlove!! I just gave up on ever finding Mr.Right!
I too had no clue who this Nelly person is but Kfamr sure seems happy about it all :)

C.C.'s Mom
06-19-2002, 01:42 AM
Count me in for most of the contests!!! Will be with both kitties and the dog.

As for prices: shipment from Germany can be quite expensive and we usually ship things to the US by people we know that go there anyways.
I'm very willing to donate though. Maybe over an American PetTalker whom I can send my donation to? Let me know by PM by the time the contest runs.

zippy-kat
06-19-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Presley
to be young and inlove!! I just gave up on ever finding Mr.Right!

ditto! lol ;) :p

Ann
06-19-2002, 06:40 AM
Kfamr, thanks for explaining! And sorry for almost giving you a heart attack LOL

wolf_Q
06-19-2002, 04:09 PM
KayAnn, believe me, I know how much music can mean to people. I LOVE music. Just don't get me started on my U2 obsession. *sigh* Elevation tour withdrawls. lol

So do we have anything official going for a contest yet? I found a really sweet prize. :D

Aspen and Misty
06-19-2002, 05:36 PM
Count me in. Me my dogs, rats, cats, and fish. Are we aloud to let more then just the basic pets participate? Cause if we have a photo contest I woudl like to submit one of Boo Boo or Shena. (Boo boo being siberian tiger and Shena a female lion). Or if we are doing cute story's I have a extremly cute one of Lady (a coyote.) Please let me know. THanks

Ashley and well Everybody

pupper-lover
06-24-2002, 08:31 AM
Why don't we do a poll to vote on contest ideas? We have already decided on having categories for different types of animals. How about these animal categories: Dogs, Cats, Barnyard Animals (that are not-included in other groups, like horses, etc.), Birds, Rodents (hamsters, rabbits, mice, etc.), and other (lizards, fish, etc.)? I assume there would be the most entries for dogs and cats, so we should probably have more sub-categories for those animals. I would rather have one set of voting than a series of narrowing down. It would also be great to have an all-around winner, that includes taking the "best" of all of the different catergories.

pupper-lover
06-24-2002, 09:47 AM
Here's a re-organization of everyone's ideas:

1) The contest is for every kind of pet, but there should be different animal categories for certain contests.

2) The contests should include photos and stories/poetry.
For photos - silliest, biggest, smallest, ugliest, cutest, best friends, tricks, and other. For written - A short-story or poem. One non-fiction and one fiction category.

3) We may also include trivia, a scavenger hunt, and an auction for charity.

4) Those who can donate prizes will. The prizes must be category appropriate. It was suggested that something, like a picture frame be donated for the story/poetry contest, for the display of a lost pet (or one still living).

Now, we need a list of everyone who wants to participate and their pets, so we can have appropriate categories. People can enter late, but we want to have categories for those of us who have been helping to make this thing happen. In order, not to get all the contest info intertwined and confusing, it may be easier if we all send our names and pet names to a single person to organize. If you wish to PM me, I would be happy to organize the list. If someone else wants to do it instead, that is okay, too.

I think it is fair to enter each pet once in each valid category (that means I can't send in 15 pics of my pups for cutest dog ;) ).

We also need a date for the contest.

What do you all think?

wolf_Q
06-24-2002, 04:00 PM
That all sounds great pupper-lover, thanks for organizting the ideas. I also think we should have one person appointed to organize the names/prizes. I don't care who it is. Maybe you could start another thread where we could vote on what contest ideas are the most popular?

I have some cool prizes I've found, but all of them are doggy related. I'm sure others will have prizes related to other animals too.

pupper-lover
06-29-2002, 07:12 PM
LINK TO PET CONTEST POLL! VOTE NOW!

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12298

zippy-kat
06-29-2002, 08:25 PM
My only concern is that someone's feelings might get hurt. I know no one would intentionally say/do anything to hurt another but, sometimes it just (accidentally) happens. I'd hate for anyone to get upset b/c their pet isn't voted "the cutest/funniest" etc. This forum is for pets of all shapes, sizes, breeds, colors, and more importantly, it is for the love we have for them.

I hope everyone who enters/votes remembers that this is all in fun. One title does not carry more weight than another. And regardless of the title (or absence thereof), your pets are just as lovable and wonderful as they always have been!

Aspen and Misty
06-29-2002, 10:55 PM
I love the idea! It sounds great to me! Good job at organizing this you guys!

Dogz
07-02-2002, 06:34 PM
I LOVE the idea!!! I have a few questions though!
1. When are we going to start?
2.What if you don' t know how to post pics? I don't.
3.If you are going to give prizes, how will people get them?
I also have a suggestion. I think you should start a new thread for the contest.

Gepansy
07-02-2002, 08:16 PM
I think the contest is a great idea, but Zippy...you never showed me how to post pictures!

wolf_Q
07-03-2002, 12:00 AM
Ok everyone listen to this. We should just start with one contest for now. Funniest pet pic. 3 catagories: dogs, cats, pets. Everyone can email their pics to me ok? I can crop, lighten/darken, resize, and I can post them for you. How does this sound?? You can enter one pic of each pet that you have.

For the prizes. I can donate a dog related prize. We just need some people to donate a cat related prize, and a pet related prize.

Anyone?

jackiesdaisy1935
07-03-2002, 10:08 AM
I think that sounds good, if this contest works out, than we could have one for those who like to write poetry, or smallest, biggest. , but starting out simple is the way to go for the first contest to see how it works out. I think you should be in charge of it since it was your idea, make out the ground rules, when to start, when it ends, who can enter etc. etc.
I am willing to donate a prize or some money for the contest.
Jackie
If I can help you let me know.