PDA

View Full Version : Bloating

slleipnir
12-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Josie seems unusually bloated right now. This usually means she got into some food where she'll eat and eat and eat, and her belly gets huge. However, I can't find anything she would have gotten into?? Any other ideas?? I looked up dog bloat, and she doesn't seem to be showing and signs of what they had listed for it...

junescrater716
12-18-2006, 06:35 PM
She could be going through false pregnancy and/or retaining water. Is she fixed and give us some other details on how shes been acting. Do NOT take my word for it completely I am not a certified vet.

#1Wolflover
12-18-2006, 06:38 PM
well is she fixed? if she isn't than she might have gotten out and got pregnat. If shes fixed than maybe you should take her to the vet.

borzoimom
12-18-2006, 06:38 PM
I need more information. .. " Bloat" ( GVD) is panting, trying to vomit, burping,shortness of breath etc.. That is what you read right?
Does she look visibly swollen- and where- take pictures? Could be nothing- could be major!

luvofallhorses
12-18-2006, 06:39 PM
I think Josie is fixed. what would bloat have to do with her being fixed or not? :confused: I hope she is okay. :( (((Josie)))

#1Wolflover
12-18-2006, 06:43 PM
I think Josie is fixed. what would bloat have to do with her being fixed or not? :confused: I hope she is okay. :( (((Josie)))
if she isn't fixed she could be pregnat. :)

luvofallhorses
12-18-2006, 06:47 PM
yeah but I do think she is fixed. :) I really hope Josie is okay, Audrey. :( I'd take her to the vet if she doesn't seem to get better. hugs to the both of you!

animal_rescue
12-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Hmm I'm not sure but Roxie seems to be going through the same thing. If she doesn't have any bloating signs then I don't think it's anything serious. My friend's dane went through bloat and it was a very scary, touch and go thing!

slleipnir
12-18-2006, 07:31 PM
I need more information. .. " Bloat" ( GVD) is panting, trying to vomit, burping,shortness of breath etc.. That is what you read right?
Does she look visibly swollen- and where- take pictures? Could be nothing- could be major!

That is what I read. She isn't showing those signs. She is acting normal. I think I read too that you don't hear "girgling" in her stomach with bloat...but hers is making noises. Plus she keeps farting really gross smelly...ick.

She is fixed. She has gotten into food before, where she eats too much and her belly gets big...that's exactly what it looks like, but I haven't found anything she got into

borzoimom
12-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Usually the gut is silent in bloat.. I am concerned about giving advice on a dog I can not see. I would call the vet. I think its just gastritis- but please- call the vet.. Just to be sure. I can not see the dog or feel the dog- and I did loose a dog to bloat several years ago that the vet diagnosed wrong. ..
The fact she is passing gas is a good sign, but I would still call..

BitsyNaceyDog
12-18-2006, 07:51 PM
She has gotten into food before, where she eats too much and her belly gets big...that's exactly what it looks like, but I haven't found anything she got into
Could someone have given her something when you weren't looking? Could she have gotten something outside? Maybe she stole something off the counter?

I hope Josie is alright. I'm glad she's acting normal.

slleipnir
12-18-2006, 07:52 PM
I'll call in the morning, unless she seems to get sick or act strange. I really can't afford an emergency vet call if it's nothing...and she doesn't seem sick. I just wonder what could have caused it

slleipnir
12-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Could someone have given her something when you weren't looking? Could she have gotten something outside? Maybe she stole something off the counter?

I hope Josie is alright. I'm glad she's acting normal.

Very possible, but both my dad and bro said they didn't give her anything, nor left food out. (maybe they forgot?) She will do anything to get food, even the cats food when she can, or stuff from the counter. I just haven't found anything...the cats food is still there too

applesmom
12-18-2006, 08:02 PM
You'd recognize bloat the instant you saw it. As long as she's acting normal in every other way, just keep an eye on her and don't allow her to do any strenuous exercise. If she's gorged herself on food, the increased possibility of torsion will be there until she gets rid of the swelling, which should happen any minute. ;)

If she chewed up something non edible that she shouldn't have and swallowed it, she may have trouble passing it and become blocked. Keeping an eye on her is about all you can do for now.

If in doubt, call your vet!

Let us know how she's doing.

slleipnir
12-18-2006, 09:25 PM
She started to pant..and is pacing a little...but pacing isn't that unusual for her when she's looking for attention. If it's bloat, will she just get really sick all of a sudden, or is it a really slow thing?? I'm going to bed shortly, and I'm concerned to leave her...but she doesn't seem "sick".

This is all I need...if she gets sick...I'm never getting another pet again. I just had this big expensive problem with my cat..I can't handle or afford this.\

edit/

Her belly is still gurgling...and she is passing gas still...plus she is playful. She keeps bringing me toys to play with

EastJenn
12-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi there ... I know I don't post very regularly here, but I couldn't not post anything on this topic. About three weeks ago, my female Great Dane, Kiden, bloated and underwent torsion surgery. Her symptoms were not incredibly severe, as I had always suspected bloat would present itself. Instead, she was generally uneasy, panting, drooling, and very tight in her abdomen. Until the time we got to the vet, she was still passing gas and not in a severe amount of pain. That was the point of the whole episode where she was only bloated, rather than experiencing torsion.

Her stomach started to turn not long after we got to the vet. Once this happens, you have a VERY small amount of time to get treatment. We were quite lucky that we didn't take any chances and took her in when we did. Her prompt treatment made surgery and recovery easy compared to many that I have heard of, and we have her here still today with us.

I may be paranoid, but what you're describing to me sounds like bloat. I would not take any chances with it. Your vet will be able to tell relatively easily if she has just eaten something that doesn't agree with her, or if it is an emergency. I would give her a dose of anti-gas meds if you have it handy, and get her checked out ASAP.

Again, I apologize if I am just being overly paranoid, but bloat and torsion are very quick, very scary, and very deadly. I hope everything turns out well for her, and I'll keep you and her in my thoughts and prayers.

slleipnir
12-18-2006, 09:54 PM
The problem is, it's 12am...

How do you know when their stomachs turn?? How do you tell if it's bloated from food, or bloated from having this problem? How long does it take from the time she bloats till the time her stomach turns?

EastJenn
12-18-2006, 10:05 PM
The biggest indicator that a dog's stomach has already turned is lack of blood flow. The dog's legs will get cold. Their gums will start to turn lighter pink, then white. They won't be able to swallow at all, so the amount of drool will become excessive. If untreated, these symptoms will worsen until the dog loses conciousness and eventually dies.

There is no real answer to how quickly a dog can go from bloat to complete torsion. Some dogs progress within a matter of minutes ... some a few hours.

Is there anyway your vet would work on a payment plan for her if she needs to be seen? I can tell you that our dog was at the vet's office for a total of four days after surgery. They didn't ask for any money upfront, so that gave us a few days to pull funds together. It may be worth a call just to describe the symptoms to your vet, and see what they suggest. I don't want to scare you, but it is definitely a better safe than sorry situation.

There is also a website with an accupressure point that helps to relieve pressure in the stomach. You may want to try this in the meantime as well:

http://www.iwane.org/A_P.htm

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'm more than happy to help.

applesmom
12-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Do you have an emergency animal clinic that you can call? They will be able to ask you vitally important questions and to tell you exactly what symptoms to look for. By talking to them you can get your answers in minutes rather than waiting for responses on a discussion board.

Even if you don't have an EAC nearby, a clinic in another town can answer your questions.

slleipnir
12-18-2006, 10:20 PM
She just had a poo....that's good, right??

applesmom
12-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Yes that's good. Are her stools soft?

EastJenn
12-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Well that means something has moved through there. Our dog did poop once before surgery, and even twice after surgery, when she hadn't eaten in days. So food can stay in there a while.

I'm with applesmom ... call your vet's after hours number, or an emergency clinic. They'll be able to talk you through what is going on at this minute, and what actions you need to take if any.

Good luck, I'm still thinking of you both. I hope everything turns out okay.

slleipnir
12-18-2006, 10:24 PM
I don't know...I was inside. It seemed to be solid though if that's what you mean

applesmom
12-18-2006, 10:27 PM
If she's simply bloated from overeating her stools will most likely be soft.

slleipnir
12-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Still waiting. It's now 2am. I'm too worried to sleep. I feel that as soon as I sleep, something will happen. I'll stay up all night if I need to. She seems a little uncomfortable, but isn't showing any signs..I can hear her belly making nosies from here (she is on the other side of the room) I don't know what that means though...

wolf_Q
12-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Audrey, I don't have any advice, but I hope that Josie will be ok. Thinking of you both!

applesmom
12-19-2006, 12:36 AM
I hope she'll be allright too. Did you call the EAC?

slleipnir
12-19-2006, 03:09 AM
No I didn't. If I see any signs I will. She seems to be ok...it's now 5am and I haven't slept at all so I could keep an eye on her. I'll take her to the vet first thing if it hasn't gone down any.

borzoimom
12-19-2006, 07:20 AM
How is she?

BitsyNaceyDog
12-19-2006, 08:25 AM
I've been thinking about you and Josie. I hope she's doing well this morning.

Ginger's Mom
12-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Oh Audrey, I am just seeing this now. What a long night it must have been for you and Josie. I hope all is well this morning. (I am assuming you are at the vet's.) Please keep us updated. Good thoughts going out for you and Josie.

slleipnir
12-19-2006, 10:35 AM
She seems fine today...I'm not sure if I should bother with the vet. She hasn't had a bowel movement today, I don't think. Well, my dad lets them out before I get up, so maybe she did. She doesn't seem to be very bloated today. Not like yesterday anyway. She may still be a little. If it were bloat, would she have shown the signs by now?? I first noticed it around 8 or 9 last night, and it's now 12pm

borzoimom
12-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Well, if it were my dogs, I would run them by the vet just to be sure. Bloat ( GVD) is a very serious problem. If nothing else- a trip to the vet is worth the ease on the mind in worry.

slleipnir
12-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Zeke has his annual vet appt today...maybe I'll take her too and ask for a quick look.

borzoimom
12-19-2006, 12:34 PM
good idea..

lizbud
12-19-2006, 12:43 PM
I believe bloat kills dog within hours. I doubt it's bloat from the way
you describe her actions. maybe upset stomach or gas, but not bloat.
You should have your Vet give the final answer.

BC_MoM
12-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Let us know what happens!

lv4dogs
12-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Have you been to the vet yet? ANy updates?
Fingers & paws are crossed here.

I think she probably just had a lot of gas, which can cause the stomach to bloat. She probably just got into something when you were not looking, or someone gave her too much or just the "wrong" treats or table scraps that didn't agree with her stomach.

Granted it is good that you were so serious & concerned as bloat is a very serious illness & should be monitored very closely, and of course the symptom of a bloated stomach is one of the signs of bloat.

slleipnir
12-19-2006, 02:57 PM
The vet just said to keep an eye on her. She said I would know it if she had bloat, because she would be very sick looking.

She seems to be really fat today. I don't know that she is bloated, but she just seems fat. Her belly doesn't seem to big though. She had a poo, but it was diarrhea...What do you think that means?

I kinda think she might have gotten into her food. I have a big bucket in the closet I keep it in, and the door doesn't close right. I don't know how much was there though to know if that's what she's doing. I put a cover on it, so she can't do it again, if that's what she did.

Zeke did good at the vets, although I'm sick of people thinking he's aggressive. There was a big samoyed dog there, and these people kept patting him. Then they look at Zeke and won't even come near him. He is the BIGGEST sulk in the world, I don't know that he looks aggressive?? Sometimes he barks at dogs if he can't go meet them. It's just playful I think, but people think it's aggression too. *sigh*

BitsyNaceyDog
12-19-2006, 04:37 PM
The vet just said to keep an eye on her. She said I would know it if she had bloat, because she would be very sick looking.

She seems to be really fat today. I don't know that she is bloated, but she just seems fat. Her belly doesn't seem to big though. She had a poo, but it was diarrhea...What do you think that means?

I kinda think she might have gotten into her food. I have a big bucket in the closet I keep it in, and the door doesn't close right. I don't know how much was there though to know if that's what she's doing. I put a cover on it, so she can't do it again, if that's what she did.

Zeke did good at the vets, although I'm sick of people thinking he's aggressive. There was a big samoyed dog there, and these people kept patting him. Then they look at Zeke and won't even come near him. He is the BIGGEST sulk in the world, I don't know that he looks aggressive?? Sometimes he barks at dogs if he can't go meet them. It's just playful I think, but people think it's aggression too. *sigh*

Just be sure to keep an eye on the water bowl. With diarrhea she can easily become dehydrated. She probably has a irritated belly from gorging herself. Did the vet give you any instructions for feeding her today? When my dogs have an upset stomach I boil some chicken and rice for them. I also only give them a small portion compared to their normal feeding. A totally empty belly can be worse than giving them a little food.

I'm sorry everyone thinks Zeke is mean. They're crazy! Zeke is one of the sweetest dogs on the planet. I certainly don't think he looks mean, how could he with those cute sticky-up ears. Maybe they didn't think he's mean, maybe they were just being cautious because they didn't know why he was there. I usually try to keep my distance from other dogs in the vet's office simply because I don't know weather they are sick or not.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-20-2006, 01:11 PM
How is Josie doing today?