PDA

View Full Version : Mice are nice, mouse info needed

Christmas_Hamster
12-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I was wondering if anybody could help me with some information on pet mice. Thanks

Husky15
12-18-2006, 04:47 PM
I've owned a good amount of mice before. I'm still no expert on them, though. But they do make good pets, and they're adorable. Just remember to clean the cage regularly or they wont smell too cute. And, as I'm sure you know, fresh food and water is a must.

Here is a site I just found; All About Mice (www.allaboutmice.co.uk). I haven't gone over it, so if some knowledgeable PT-ers find something incorrect on that web-site -- they're probably right.

Christmas_Hamster
12-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Okay thanks :) I will take a look at the website.

I* haven't looked at the website yet but is a 20 gallon good for 2 mice? What brand of food is safe? And can the have wheels? And can the run around in run-around-balls like hamsters can?

BitsyNaceyDog
12-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Okay thanks :) I will take a look at the website.

I* haven't looked at the website yet but is a 20 gallon good for 2 mice? What brand of food is safe? And can the have wheels? And can the run around in run-around-balls like hamsters can?
I think I used a 20 gallon when I had mice, I had 2 in it. They can have wheels, but I highly recommend one like this (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444178 0093&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302047891&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023695&bmUID=1166494205982&itemNo=8&In=Small+Pet&N=2047891&Ne=2) rather than one with spokes or wires. I never had a ball for mine, but they make small ones that would work for a mouse.

Alasse
12-18-2006, 08:44 PM
I have 2 mice in a 2ft tank...mine do not have a wheel as i really dont like the wire ones due to causing tail injuries, and i'm having trouble finding a different type at the moment. All my mice get natural tree branches to explore though and boxes (i change them around so they dont get bored.

All my mice a fed a basic mouse mix that my pet supply store makes mixed in with a guinea pig mix, as well as supplimentary feed as well, including fresh fruit and vegetables

Yep they can have the critter balls...you can get real small ones suitable for mice

Christmas_Hamster
12-18-2006, 09:41 PM
I would never bring a wire wheel into my house as far as I can see no small animal should have one.

A silent spinner would work right?

I would only need one more run-around-ball then because I have one that I bought awhile ago because it was only a dollar :)

I saw a couple of male mice who had been abanded by there owners they are still very young as the owners had only bought them the day before but they smeeled to much. (She had them in a 10-gallon with cedar shavings and a water dish). :( So how much space do male mice need to be able to be housed properly?

Husky15
12-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Everyone is giving great advice.

I saw a couple of male mice who had been abanded by there owners they are still very young as the owners had only bought them the day before but they smeeled to much. (She had them in a 10-gallon with cedar shavings and a water dish). :( So how much space do male mice need to be able to be housed properly?

I've had two males [Spongebob and Patrick :D] two females [Candi and Hillary] and about twelve babies [accidental pregnancy] and they did smell, but only when I did not clean them regularly. I heard that males produce more odor then females, but I do not know if that is a fact or not.

Personally, I would prefer not to have my mice in a 10 gallon tank or any smaller. Being that mice use the bathroom, the shavings do start to have an odor, and the four glass walls cause them to get moist, and trust me, that is not a wonderful thing to experience. I'm guessing though, with a larger tank like a 20 gallon [as stated above] wouldn't be as closed in and not as bad.

I bought a nice cage from my local pet-store with bars and all to let some air get in, but of course the spaces between the bars were small enough to keep a mouse in. And they just loved going at the wheel so I'd definitely suggest having one. And Alasse answered this question, but you should be able to find critter balls for mice in your local pet-store. It's a blast watching them roll around on the floor. :D

A silent spinner would work right?

I believe I had a silent spinner, and it was great. It was safe so that my mouse's tail would not get caught or anything, and I could sleep at night without hearing a loud noise whenever they spun around on it. It does produce some noise, but nothing enough to keep you awake.

And as for food, mine were fed basic mouse mix like Alasse's were.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Male mice often don't get along with other males. My husband had gotten a feeder mouse years ago and she ended up being pregnant. We kept her and she had a male dominate litter. We found homes for them in pairs (2 males to each home). None of them got along after they were a little older, they all needed to be separated. Even though they were brothers and had been together from birth (and before) none of them got along. I kept the only girl and she lived happily with her mother.

As for food, mine ate everything my birds ate- fresh fruits and veggies, pasta, a piece of dog food here and there. I gave them a mouse mix, but they also got some of my birds seed.

I used CareFresh bedding and that kept the oder down really well. That's of course with regular cleanings.

Christmas_Hamster
12-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Males apparently can be kept together if given enough space is a 20 gallon to small for two males?

I don't mind noisey wheels, my hams make loads of noise as it is :p

Thankyou for all of your help :)

Husky15
12-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Males apparently can be kept together if given enough space is a 20 gallon to small for two males?

The answer to that I do not know, but I do know that if you get two males from the same batch at the pet-store or something, they will be fine.

And no problem. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
12-19-2006, 05:03 PM
The answer to that I do not know, but I do know that if you get two males from the same batch at the pet-store or something, they will be fine.

And no problem. :)
That's not necessarily true. As I said in my above post I had a litter of almost all males and they did not get along at all. They were fine as babies, but once they were a little older every single pair had to be separated because of fighting.

As for their cage size, that may help, but don't count on it definitely working. Two of the pairs of 'my' male mice each had a 3 story wire cage that were more than adequate size of 2 mice (apparently just not 2 male mice).

A 20 gallon tank really isn't that much space. After you get a wheel, food and water dishes, and a house in it there really isn't too much room for much else.

I'm not trying to tell you not to get 2 male mice, just know that they may not work out together. I don't want you to be upset if you end up with 2 separate cages with 2 lone mice in them. It's always good to know ahead of time what could happen. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

Christmas_Hamster
12-19-2006, 07:15 PM
A 20 gallon long actually has plenty of space maybe not for two male mice but defiantly plenty of space :) I have two 20 gallon longs maybe you are thinking of a 20 gallon tall.

I have decied to go along with some females anyways ;)

I found out my mom had a pet mouse when she was young (and she loved her mouse) so there could be hope of me actually getting some of these adorible guys or girls. :)

Thankyou guys so much for helping me.

Husky15
12-19-2006, 07:22 PM
That's not necessarily true. As I said in my above post I had a litter of almost all males and they did not get along at all. They were fine as babies, but once they were a little older every single pair had to be separated because of fighting.
You are right. I should have explained myself better. I am just used to seeing adult mice in my pet-store from the same litter and they all get along fine, but every place is different.

Christmas_Hamster
12-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Thankyou for all of your help guys :)

Alasse
12-23-2006, 03:33 PM
I currently have 6 male mice in the same cage....they are litter mates...and so far not even an inkling of a fight has happened. I think i've been lucky *L*

Christmas_Hamster
12-26-2006, 02:18 PM
That is very lucky. May I ask what size cage you are using and how long have the mice been living together. This is so cool :D

Alasse
12-26-2006, 05:12 PM
They were in a 2ft fish tank...but not live in a mouse cage together (the cage is about the same size as the tank...just a little bit higher is all)

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i124/Alasse_au/100_0824.jpg

Christmas_Hamster
12-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Cool cage!!!!

I got a mouse :) I made a topic about him.

btw one more question can mice have stuff like hammocks in their cage like rats can?

Chilli
12-27-2006, 05:17 PM
btw one more question can mice have stuff like hammocks in their cage like rats can?

I just had to pop in and say that they can, indeed, have a hammock. =] Just some don't care much for them. It took around a month before my girls started sleeping in theirs, now they don't sleep anywhere else! If you do decide to put a hammock in, check each day for any loose strings or holes that may have gotten chewn appart. This can sometimes make it prone for a mouse to get a neck, foot, or something similar caught in the hammock.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r310/CheckAgain/Meece01.png
One of my girls in the hammock.

Christmas_Hamster
12-27-2006, 08:08 PM
awwww what a cute pic :D

Okay thankyou very much :)