PDA

View Full Version : Fathers square off in contest alongside man's best friend

ramanth
06-17-2002, 03:45 PM
Good news for a change. :D

PLANTATION -- It was a kiss to remember. About 18 licks and 32 seconds later, Bill Bzdek realized that although his basset hound Jethro had showered him with Father's Day kisses, those sloppy, wet love strokes would not be enough for the father-pet team to claim the prize. The leading contestant's canine embrace had lasted 66 seconds.

Lying on his side on the floor, tickled pink, Jethro licked and licked a sliver of peanut butter off his owner's face but soon lost interest. It was OK. The dog still walked away with a free doggie sundae made fresh at Three Dog Bakery, which sponsored Sunday's event. And in his owner's eyes he was still a winner.

"I have three children and three dogs," said Bzdek, of Plantation, who stopped in at the bakery with his wife, Tara, and dogs Jethro and Foster. "Pets are just like part of the family."

Bzdek was one of 15 fathers who competed at the bakery on South University Drive in Plantation for the Father's Day Kiss-Off.

The rules of the game were simple. The pet that licked its owner's face for the longest time would win a $50 gift certificate at the bakery.

To enter, pet owners donated $5 to Broward Animal Outreach, a pet shelter.

Charles Thomas, the pasty chef at the bakery, watched as pet owners tried to keep their dogs in the game.

"They put [the peanut butter] in their moustaches, they throw themselves on the floor, they try everything to keep the dogs licking," Thomas said.

In the end it appeared that Mike Mayo and his white Jack Russell, Minnie Mouse, would claim the prize. The team out-kissed the competition, lasting 66 seconds.

The contest made for a jovial atmosphere at this immaculate emporium, filled with natural healthy treats for dogs -- anything from pupcakes to peanut mutters.

While some served as onlookers, not everyone was ready to wet their whiskers.

"I am not putting peanut butter on my face," said Primus Burley, who was visiting the bakery with his daughter Sarah and German shepherd Prince.

Georgia East can be reached at [email protected] or 954-385-7921.

momoffuzzyfaces
06-17-2002, 04:05 PM
What a fun story. Just what I needed! Thanks for sharing it. Just think of all that doggy drool. :D

Cincy'sMom
06-17-2002, 06:09 PM
What a cute story! Sadie would have been great at that!!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-18-2002, 06:13 AM
Great Story! I will forward it to Andrew. He will enjoy it too!

zippy-kat
06-18-2002, 01:22 PM
How fun, how fun, how fun!!

pupper-lover
06-18-2002, 02:46 PM
My dogs would sure do well in that contest, but I think I would be drowned in drool before they stopped.;)