PDA

View Full Version : Horse Stolen in Mid-Michigan - Freeland, Saginaw Co. white Arabian

crow_noir
12-18-2006, 12:58 AM
www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/news-40/1166411358209840.xml&storylist=newsmichigan (http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/news-40/1166411358209840.xml&storylist=newsmichigan)

Mid-Michigan couple hopes to find stolen horse
12/17/2006, 9:58 p.m. ET
The Associated Press

TITTABAWASSEE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — A couple whose horse was stolen from their farm while they slept is mobilizing local police and the community to find the white Arabian before it's too late.

David and Amy Flach said someone scattered horse feed on the ground during the night of Dec. 9-10 and lured the horse away from their 20-acre hobby farm in Saginaw County's Tittabawassee Township.

Footprints near the farm showed someone walked the horse to the edge of the road where the couple lives and crossed a ditch in view of the horse barn.

"Someone just walked on our property and walked off with our horse," Amy Flach told the Midland Daily News for a story published Sunday. "It's so brazen."

Since the horse, Mecca, was stolen, Amy Flach has contacted slaughterhouses, auction houses and veterinary clinics, hoping to learn where the horse might have been taken.

For their own peace of mind, the Flachs said they installed a baby monitor in the horse barn so they can hear their four remaining horses move about.

Tittabawassee Township Police Sgt. Bernie Hogan said a few people have called in with theories, but investigators hadn't received any substantial leads as of Friday.

He said he can't remember any horses being stolen during his 20 years in the area.

The Flachs say Mecca is a nervous horse who would have protested being loaded into a trailer. The thief would have had to lead Mecca out while holding back two other horses in the stall, the couple said, leading them to believe more than one person may be responsible.

Mecca, estimated to be 16 years old, is described as having speckles and a scar on its right rear knee.

Amy Flach said she feels violated.

"It's very unnerving," she said.

Arabian horses are the oldest known breed of riding horses and one of the most popular breeds in the country, according to the Arabian Horse Association Web site.

Information from: Midland Daily News, http://www.ourmidland.com

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

http://www.ourmidland.com/site/news.asp?brd=2289

www.ourmidland.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17601578&BRD=2289&PAG=461&dept_id=596900&rfi=6 (http://www.ourmidland.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17601578&BRD=2289&PAG=461&dept_id=596900&rfi=6)

Couple hopes to find horse before it's too late
By Cheryl Wade [email protected]
12/17/2006

[picture on news site]
Daily News/JESSE OSBOURNE

Amy Flach stands with Isadora on her and her husband's 20-acre hobby farm on Buck Road in Freeland. Amy and David had a horse stolen from them a week ago on Saturday during the night. Mecca is a 16-year-old white Arabian horse. The Flachs acquired her through a rescue situation and have taken care of the horse for 10 years. They are looking for leads on where their horse might be.

TITTABAWASSEE TOWNSHIP -- David and Amy Flach can't quite believe how their peaceful home -- with its pond out back, its orchard and its horse pasture -- could be the site for something as sinister as horse stealing.

But that's just what occurred sometime during the night of Dec. 9-10. Someone unlatched the door to the couple's Arab horse Mecca's roomy stall, removed the chain and latch from the corral, scattered the Flachs' own sweet feed on the ground and lured Mecca away toward Webster Road on the east.

Footprints showed someone walked to the edge of the road where the couple lives, crossed a ditch and moved close enough to see the barn where the Flachs' five horses spent the night. Perhaps they watched to see if the house was darkened, if the family appeared to be headed for bed, she theorized.

"It's very unnerving," she said.

She feels violated. "You get very angry and you feel vindictive and all these things you've never felt before.

"Someone just walked on our property and walked off with our horse," she continued. "It's so brazen."

[picture on news site]
Mecca is a 16-year-old Arabian horse that was stolen from the Flach family. Anyone with information on where Mecca might be can call Tittabawassee Township Police at (989) 695-9623 or the Flachs at (989) 695-2130.

Since Mecca was stolen, the Flachs have visited a website that shares information about horse stealing. They've heard about a thievery ring in Ohio and about instances of horse stealing in this part of the state, one as far back as eight years ago.

"They help you find stockyards and slaughterhouses and help you connect to the law enforcement network," Amy said.

Some stolen animals are taken to Canada, where they become "meat horses," slaughtered for dog food, David said.

The horror stories have prompted the Flachs to take action in hopes of finding Mecca. Amy's been on the phone to slaughterhouses, auction houses and veterinary clinics.

And, to salvage what peace of mind they can, the Flachs have purchased a baby monitor so they can hear their horses chewing and moving around in the barn.

"You hear a gate squeak or something ... you do wonder if somebody is coming back," David said.

Mecca is a big white horse, perhaps 16 years old. On close inspection, she has speckles. She has a scar on her right back knee.

The Flachs believe more than one person was involved in stealing Mecca. Because of her breed and because she might have been abused before coming to live with the Flachs, she's a nervous horse who would have protested being loaded into a trailer. The thief would have had to lead Mecca out while holding back two young horses who shared the stall with her, the Flachs said.

Despite Mecca's nervousness, she's friendly and sweet, Amy said. She perks up at her owners' voices.

"She hears our car coming home and she's the one to whinny" in recognition, Amy said.

Sgt. Bernie Hogan of the Tittabawassee Township Police Department said officers are taking the case seriously. One of his fellow officers, who owns horses, has been working on the case, much of it on his own time.

Still, the department hadn't received any substantive leads as of Friday afternoon, Hogan said.

"We've got a couple people calling in with some good theories," he said.

Trying to find a horse presents its own set of difficulties, said Hogan, who's been around the area 20 years and said he can't remember any horses being stolen during that time.

"Unless a horse has a serial number, you can't enter it into LEIN to positively identify it," he said, referring to the Law Enforcement Information Network.

All photos taken by Daily News photographers are available as reprints. Order online or contact our librarian.

©Midland Daily News 2006

www.netposse.com/stolenmissing/MeccaMIstolenDec06.htm (http://www.netposse.com/stolenmissing/MeccaMIstolenDec06.htm)

crow_noir
12-19-2006, 12:21 AM

FOUND!!!

www.ourmidland.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17604639&BRD=2289&PAG=461&dept_id=596900&rfi=6 (http://www.ourmidland.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17604639&BRD=2289&PAG=461&dept_id=596900&rfi=6)

Couple to retrieve missing horse
By Cheryl Wade
12/18/2006

TITTABAWASSEE TOWNSHIP -- A family whose Arabian horse was stolen more than a week ago expects to have the animal back tonight.

Amy Flach said the horse, named Mecca, was trapped in a case of mistaken identity and a dispute between two parties. She and her family learned Sunday that the horse was safe in Zeeland, and they plan to travel there tonight and pick her up.

Tittabawassee Township Police Department Detective Robert Harken said a Zeeland man who has Mecca had been trying to locate a horse who had been missing for about two years. The Zeeland man came to the Flachs' Buck Road home to take what he thought was his, Harken said.

Police got the tip they needed when a Midland County woman, who once had the horse the Zeeland man was seeking, called the police after seeing media reports about the stolen horse, Harken said.

"She said 'I got rid of it a year ago,'" Harken said.

The dispute started when the Zeeland man leased the horse to the Midland County woman but didn't get his money, Harken said.

"He wanted the horse back but wasn't getting the horse back," Harken said. "So he came over to get it in the middle of the night, and he ended up at the wrong place."

Amy said Mecca's identity came to light when someone in Zeeland tried to ride her and was thrown through a fence. Amy's husband David had ridden Mecca several times, but the horse -- who's nervous by nature -- probably was agitated because of the strange place and unfamiliar people, Amy said. Mecca wasn't generally used as a riding horse, she added.

Since Mecca was stolen, the Flachs had searched for her through a website and called auction houses, slaughterhouses and veterinarians in hopes of finding her.

"We feel lighter, just really relieved, that she's in good hands," Amy said. And it was good to "know that it wasn't just a random act of ... crime."

Harken said the report of the stolen horse will go to the Saginaw County Prosecutor's Office but he has doubts about charges. For larceny to occur, the accused person must have the intent to steal something belonging to someone else. In this case, "the man was only trying to get his horse back," Harken said.

©Midland Daily News 2006

brujarachel
01-04-2007, 02:51 PM
All I can say is.....oh my gosh.

ramanth
01-14-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm so happy to hear they have Mecca back. It could of had an aweful outcome.

My parents Irish Setter was stolen from their yard and because he fought the theives, they killed him and dumped him in some older woman's yard. :(

crow_noir
01-15-2007, 12:43 AM
My parents Irish Setter was stolen from their yard and because he fought the theives, they killed him and dumped him in some older woman's yard. :(

Oh God, that makes me cry. The silver lining though is that he didn't have to endure the rest of his life lived in torture, etc. Think of what *could* have happened if he hadn't fought back. Still... that is horrible. and i am crying. *hugs* for your parents. I know it won't bring their IS back, but they are in my thoughts.

ramanth
01-15-2007, 08:25 AM
That's kind of you. This happened many years ago, before I was born. It was the police that called my parents to have them come identify Shane (they reported him missing). Police had been dealing with a string of dog thefts that year and unfortunately my parents and Shane were among the victims.

My dad said no parent should have to endure a call like that. :( I wish I knew Shane but I'm sure my parents think of him often.