PDA

View Full Version : Has your pet every been attacked by an animal?

Former User
06-17-2002, 03:01 PM
To put it shortly, nope :)

06-17-2002, 03:13 PM
Nope here too !!!!!!!!!
Thanks goodness !!!!!!!
This is one of the big advantages to be an indoor-pet !!!

pupper-lover
06-17-2002, 03:31 PM
YES!!!

THREE OF THE FOUR MY PUPS, I'VE HAD IN THIS LIFETIME WERE ATTACKED BY OTHER DOGS!:( :mad:

MY LAB-MIX, ADDIE, WAS ONLY ABOUT FOUR-MONTHS OLD WHEN SHE WAS ATTACKED. SHE WAS JUST A FRIGHTENED BABY GETTING USED TO LIVING IN A HOUSEHOLD WHERE NO ONE BEAT HER OR STARVED HER :( , NO WHERE NEAR A THREAT FOR ANY SANE DOG. SHE WAS ATTACKED BY A DOG ON A LEASH IN MY APARTMENT COMPLEX. LUCKILY, I NEVER SAW THAT DOG AGAIN. I HAD TO GET BABY ADDIE'S LEG STAPLED BACK TOGETHER. A YEAR LATER, THE FUR STILL HASN'T GROWN BACK. I FELT SO MAD AND GUILTY WHEN THIS HAPPENED. ADDIE USUALLY FOLLOWED AT MY HEALS (NO LEASH :confused: ). I WAS NEW TO THE AREA, AND HAD ONLY SEEN FRIENDLY DOGS IN THE DOGGY WALK YARD. I QUICKLY LEARNED MY LESSON. SWEET ADDIE STILL TRYS TO MEET EVERY DOG, WE COME ACROSS, BUT I NO LONGER LET HER SNIFF ANY DOGS I DON'T KNOW. I WAS A NIAVE DUMBY:( . NO LONGER.

NOW THAT I ALWAYS HAVE MY DOGS ON LEASHES, I HAVE TO WATCH OUT FOR THOSE DOGS THAT ARE NOT. ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS MEAN DOGS HAVE COME UP TO US AND GROWLED AND SNAPPED. EVERYTIME, I GO OUTSIDE TO WALK MY DOG, I AM SCARED OF WHAT I'LL FIND. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY THOSE LIVING IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO OTHERS (IE APARTMENTS), SOCIALIZE/TRAIN THEIR DOGS TO NOT BITE ANYTHING THAT MOVES. MY FAMILY HAS NEVER HAD AN AGGRESSIVE DOG, BECAUSE WE HAVE TAUGHT THEM NOT TO BE. IT TAKES A LOT OF RESPONSIBLITY TO HAVE A DOG. IT IS TOO BAD THAT THOSE OF US WHO TRY TO TAKE CARE OF OUR PETS GET HURT BY IRRESPONSIBLE OWNER'S AND THEIR UNRULY PETS.

jennifert
06-17-2002, 04:09 PM
Duncan? Attacked by another animal? Phooey! Unless a skuink counts! About a week after I got him, I was letting him out to pee at 4am and he found a skunk by the garbage cans. Needless to say, I was up the rest of the night in the bathtub with him!!:rolleyes:

Pupper-lover, I can understand your anger and I'm sorry that Addie was attacked. I keep Duncan on a leash at all times, except at the "unofficial" dog park or the real dog park we go to. He has a very high prey drive and will chase anything small that moves. He has chased cats, woodchucks, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, even birds...
My neighbors upstairs have brought home a chihuahua/poodle mix that weighs no more than 3 lbs and is SO TINY!! I have to introduce Duncan to this little creature or he will not know what it is and if it runs, he will chase it.....

momoffuzzyfaces
06-17-2002, 06:58 PM
None of my four house cats have been attacked but a stray that had babies on my porch had one her babies killed by the neighbors dog. The babies were about 4 months old and I heard the dog bark and a kitten scream. By the time I got out there both were gone. (the dog and one kitten) My neighbor said the kitten got hit by a car but I know better. They disposed of it so I couldn't take it in and have a vet verify the cause of death. The kitten had a smaller brother it was very protective of. I found him huddled in the corner. I think the one was protecting the other and the dog got him and carried him off. That same dog attacked a grown cat I also fed. I saw it. He flipped the cat in the air. I smacked the dog on the rear with my cane and chased it off. I was so mad, I felt I could have killed that dog with my bare hands and I'm as vicious as a marshmallow. That was the only time in my life I ever hurt an animal and not felt bad about it. The cats were all on their own property, the owner of the dog just kept a thin chain on her that she broke constantly. Unfortunately, the cat had to be put down. The owners of the dog finally moved after it attacked other pets in the area. That was all that was done to them. GRRR!:mad:

Pam
06-17-2002, 07:11 PM
My parents retired just about the time I was married (long time ago!) and moved about 50 miles away and took my childhood dog, Laddie, with them because I was going to be living in an apartment. They didn't have a fenced in yard and my dad was the official dog walker. One day while walking Laddie a stray dog came up and attacked Laddie while he was on his leash. My dad had all he could do to separate the two but managed to get back home with a very bloody and beaten up dog. My mom later told me she was almost as afraid for my dad's well being as Laddie's since he was so shaken up. The vet was eventually able to put Laddie back together again but I don't think Dad ever felt very safe after that. We have no idea who owned the dog or if it ever did that to anyone else.

AdoreMyDogs
06-17-2002, 10:07 PM
Cassie, my and my mom's beloved pug rescue, was attacked about a year and 1/2 ago by a very tennis ball driven yellow labbie. Cassie happened to have walked by the beloved tennis ball which the labbie was villigantely (sp?) protecting, and the labbie thought for sure Cassie was out to steal the tennis ball and so the lab attacked her. Cassie didn't even see the tennis ball, as she's the least ball driven dog I have ever met. She could care less about them.

The owner of the lab was really responsible and drove me, Cassie and Graham to the emergency vet clinic (it was at a dog park and I couldn't leave Graham behind) and paid for the vet in full, even though I offered to pay, she refused and insisted on paying. Cassie had 6 teeth knocked out from the lab, and had to have strict cage rest for 4 or 5 days, I don't remember the exact amount of time. Every time we would let her out of her little crate to go out for a potty, she would begin bleeding profussely from her nose. It was very hard and very sad. She certainlly didn't deserve that abuse that she got! The labbie that attacked Cassie, attacked a black lab about 3 weeks after she attacked Cassie and the black lab had to have several stitches in his head. The yellow labbie's owners never brought her to the dog park again.

Pam
06-17-2002, 10:22 PM
Leslie I remember that story so vividly. Poor widdle smashy face baby! :( Please give her another hug from me. Just hearing it over again makes me so sad. Although your Grahamy boy wasn't attacked by another animal, he certainly suffered a horrible injury as all of us Pet Talkers remember. When one of our own suffers we all feel it! Thankfully Graham and Cassie are healed and well.

zippy-kat
06-17-2002, 10:28 PM
Unfortunately, yes. :(

gini
06-17-2002, 11:25 PM
Sadly, I have to say yes also. My last three cats were all able to go outside during the day and then come into the house at 5 PM or so.

I have lived in my home for 25 years and the area has changed. We have many neighbors now who have never "heard" you are supposed to neuter or spay your cats. And they think roaming the neighborhood is just normal. Too many sad stories.

Rascal is now absolutely an indoor cat. He wasn't happy about it at first - but I discussed it with him at great length (while we were at the vets taking care of his third set of abscesses).

The vet used to say "Well, Rascal, what is it today?" And I used to say "how much is it today?"

I know he misses going out of doors, but he has never looked better and no more fleas!

anna_66
06-20-2002, 08:23 AM
Nope, I've never had that problem. Thank goodness:)

lovemymaltese
07-11-2002, 12:55 PM
No

Randi
07-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Oh yes! Fister was attacked by another "new in the block" cat last year. I was there and saw it, but couldn't part them - it happened so quick! The ones of you who have cats will know just how quick!! However, the other cat was bleeding more, but one of Fister's teeth came loose and he was pretty shocked. That was when he first went to see the white coats.

kohala
07-21-2002, 07:07 PM
I've been lucky, but that is also why Grasshopper is a "house cat". I was thinking about Jackie's Miss Daisy, and if you aren't familiar with the story, it's posted under Dog Health. Her two mini schnauzers were attacked in their own yard by an irresponsible neighbor's pit bull, which broke through the fence to get at them! I have very strong feelings about people who take on animals without taking on all aspects of their care and, when potentially dangerous, control. But I joined many many others posting about all that in that thread. The owners of the pitbulls were nowhere near as gracious as the owners of the yellow lab discussed above. They apparently can't afford to, but then how can they afford to keep 3 pitbulls?

Signed, "Still fuming"

jackiesdaisy1935
07-24-2002, 10:33 AM
Thanks Kohala, she has been very supportive of our two Schnauzers who were attacked by writing letters and getting information etc. etc. for us.
As with Pam's Dad, I have a problem now with taking our dogs outside, I won't let them outside unless one of us is there. Unfortunately it has made them become inside dogs, if they go out on the patio for a little while I will take a chair and sit with them. This has made me feel unsafe even in our own yard. I can never leave them alone again, of course if we go out to dinner I will leave them in the kitchen, but never outside on our own patio again, it has affected me this way. We have lived in this house for over forty years and in all that time I always felt my dogs were safe but I will never feel that way again.
I finally go a couple of letters, one from the Mayor who passed it off to the Animal Control and another from one of the Supervisors who passed it off to another Supervisor, just passing the buck.
Jackie, Miss Daisy and Perry

baygayce
07-24-2002, 03:55 PM
Yes. The cat I have now was bitten on the tail by his "cousin" (my brother's cat) when he was taking care of him while I was away. My dog (1981-1994) was bitten by the german shepherd that lived at the animal hospital where I worked. This actually happened twice.