PDA

View Full Version : Baking question...chocolate squares

slick
12-17-2006, 10:18 PM
I've already embarrassed myself enough on this site so why not do it again?? :rolleyes:

I don't eat sweets....therefore I don't bake, but in order to distract myself I decided to do some baking for presents this year. Today I tried a recipe of Chocolate Cranberry Biscotti. Looked easy enough and I followed the recipe but there was to much chocolate in it.

I followed the recipe which called for 3 squares of white chocolate and 4 squares of semi-sweet chocolate. Now, when I unwrapped a "square" there was clearly two small squares. Halves perhaps???

So does 3 squares equal 6 small squares or 3 small squares??

Can hardly waits to see the responses. Does this rate right up there with How do I Boil Eggs?? :D

Lobodeb
12-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Hehehe....don't be so hard on yourself, this one can be tricky.

Does the recipe call for a certain brand of chocolate? Or give you a weight of a square? The reason I ask is that Hershey's, for example, can have a 1 oz. square where as a generic brand may have a 2 oz. square.

Also, does the chocolate go in the biscotti, or is it to dip in after the biscotti have baked?

Was this the recipe that Giada De Lourentis (sp?) did on Food network?

RedHedd
12-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Too much chocolate? Is there such a thing in the universe?

The square you unwrapped that was two squares was .... two squares. :p

slick
12-17-2006, 11:00 PM
OK, I admit it.....I really need SuPeRvisIoN when baking. I was supposed to melt the semi-sweet and use that for dipping instead of chopping and putting into the dough. :o :o No wonder. :rolleyes:

But still, the burning question. I present to you Exhibit A.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/p3e78f691286bb030eaf0a3e9b47dc301/eb93bb0d.jpg
The wrapped. It looks like 1 square to me.

Exhibit B.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/p9675ebc71a6f681da56fc0738f4f9139/eb93bb0c.jpg
The unwrapped. Could this be 1 square or 2??? RedHedd says 2.

Deb: Thanks for your vote of confidence. This indeed has been a distraction and below is the actual recipe ingredients.

Easiest Every Chocolate Cranberry Biscotti

2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp. MAGIC Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups POST SELECTS Cranberry Almond Crunch Cereal
3 squares BAKER'S White Chocolate, chopped
4 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted

Don't worry folks. I'm back to work tomorrow...but tonight I have too much time on my hands. :D :D

Sevaede
12-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Chocolate squares are seperated into 1 oz pieces (big ones). Sometimes a recipe doesn't call for a full oz, though, so the indention is there so one can break or cut it in half. :D

So if a recipe calls for 6 oz of chocolate then you'd put six of the whole squares in to the mix. :D

Vela
12-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Bakers wraps each "square" individually in 1 oz squares, so if they say 3 squares, unwrap 3 packages. Like Wenisrubber said, that is there for ease of cutting if you don't need the whole thing. Most baking squares I have seen come in 1 ounce squares, at least around here, and 1 square=1 ounce.

Randi
12-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Slick, I fully understand your confusion after seeing the pictures. :eek: They could have said: so many grams! I bet they do it this way to make sure you use "BAKERS" products. ;)

When you've finished your cookies, try my recipe for Chocolade Truffles - you can't go wrong - unless you experiment. :D

Wish I could be there to enjoy them with you!

borzoimom
12-18-2006, 08:19 AM
I can not offer any help, but I can add to why its confusing. I am a good cook, but baking is a art.. lol.. Sounds like to me you are getting plenty of help, and I am reading to see what I can learn- ( which is alot..lol) about baking..

RedHedd
12-18-2006, 08:22 AM
LOL! I see the problem - you have rectangles, not squares! :D But I guess also putting the chocolate that was meant for dipping into the recipe, one could, technically have too much chocolate in the recipe.

Killearn Kitties
12-18-2006, 09:04 AM
I also thought it was impossible to have too much chocolate until I saw the chocolate! Those aren't "squares", they are huge great slabs! :eek: Are they really as big as they look, or is it just the Slick-macro-style photo? Can you perhaps post a photo of them next to a popular household object? A can of beans for instance?

Also can you get some of the biscotti to me in the post please? I will let you know whether they contain too much chocolate or not! :D

pitc9
12-18-2006, 09:17 AM
LOL! I see the problem - you have rectangles, not squares! :D

LOL!! Yeah! That's the problem from the start!! ;) :D

slick
12-18-2006, 10:08 AM
LOL I tell you, I went to bed last night thinking of chocolate squares and I don't even like chocolate. What a nice distraction this has been.

Karen: The squares only measure about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" so really they are small. It's just the macro mode that makes them look huge....and no, I can't ship the biscotti to you because it went the way of the garbage chute yesterday. I can ship you the leftover chocolate though. ;)

No, I won't quit my day job but I'm going to try this recipe again tomorrow and this time, just maybe I'll actually read it first. :rolleyes:

Cinder & Smoke
12-18-2006, 10:58 AM
No, I won't quit my day job ...
but I'm going to try this recipe again tomorrow and this time,
just maybe I'll actually read it first. :rolleyes:

:p
Don't feel bad!

Can't count the number of "meals inna box/bag" I've never finished because
I hadn't read ALL the directions before I purchased it ...

* Add 1 EGG ... an EGG!?? ... Like I keep eggs ... :rolleyes:

* Add 1 cup MILK ... MILK!?? ... It always goes bad before I can use it all ... :rolleyes:

* Add 1 Tbs Veggy Oil ... now what the heck is a "Tbs" ??
... I HAVE started "stocking" Veggy Oil" --- It doesn' go bad on the shelf!

My stove should last forever!
:D

Karen
12-18-2006, 11:08 AM
As others have said, one wrapped block counts as a "square" - sorry the biscotti went the way of many "first tries!"

Drummed into my head as a child (by Ma, Pa, and even Grandpma P.) was read every recipe through TWICE and check your ingredients list before you start anything.

Mind you, Grandma S's recipes tended to be JUSt a list of ingredients, assuming you knew what to do with what, and recipes my mother wrote down for us tended to end abruptly with "then you know what to do." Which requires more than just "giving someone a copy" when they ask - because not everyone grew up watching and assisting my mother in the kitchen!

lvpets2002
12-18-2006, 11:15 AM
;) Yup when I was growing it was with my Grandma.. You only had the ingredients on the page & the rest was a pinch of this - smigne of that - dad of other stuff & of course mix all together.. :D Gosh wish I could find that Cute Cat Cookie Recipe {hairs included} to Post Here.. It was funny..

Randi
12-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Can't count the number of "meals inna box/bag" I've never finished because
I hadn't read ALL the directions before I purchased it ...

* Add 1 EGG ... an EGG!?? ... Like I keep eggs ... :rolleyes:

* Add 1 cup MILK ... MILK!?? ... It always goes bad before I can use it all ... :rolleyes:

* Add 1 Tbs Veggy Oil ... now what the heck is a "Tbs" ??
... I HAVE started "stocking" Veggy Oil" --- It doesn' go bad on the shelf!

My stove should last forever!
:D
Ahh, this is why most men stay so slim throughout their life! ;)

Slick, the next batch will be perfect! :D I want to come and test them out!

I just remembered the Vanilla cookie recipe, will e-mail it this evening. You may want to hear the story behind those.... the biggest paper in Denmark had this competion a few years back (they do every year, but with different kind of cookies) to bake these traditional Vanilla cookies, which are my favourites.

So as people sent boxes and boxes in, a group of connaiseurs/sp? started eating and eating until they got really fat and had to roll home. They came up with a 1st, a second and a third Prize for these hardworking baking women, and they even published the results! So this is where I got it from. And this is a true story! ;)