PDA

View Full Version : dog cones

bell_peaches
12-17-2006, 06:40 PM
can you buy one of those dog cone things that go around a dogs neck at like pet smart or a place like that or is the only place the vets??? goo has been scratching at her eye and is making it bleed. I need to get something first thing in the morning. she ripped the socks off I had tied around her paws. I don't know what to do gggrrr

buttercup132
12-17-2006, 06:42 PM
They are called E-collars and yes you can get them at Pet Smart , if you phone your vet I'm sure they will also give your one and maybe you can get her eye checked out at the same time.

bell_peaches
12-17-2006, 06:51 PM
I will be calling him first thing in the morning. I wish I could duck tape her paws to her sides or something. Thank You

Karen
12-17-2006, 06:53 PM
You might be able to manage a homemade temporary one - some posterboard and duct tape - any port in a storm, and duct tape works better on cardboard then furry paws anyway! (Yes, I know the "duct-taping of paws" part was just a comment made in frustration!)

Love That Collie
12-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Yep, duct tape works like Karen said......... (1 million and 1 uses lol)
If you do make one, be sure to duct tape the edges on each end of the
E-collar, it strengthens it.

bell_peaches
12-17-2006, 07:36 PM
thanks for that info. I am sending son to the store for poster board. I will do anything to help her right now. I can't keep giving her cookies to keep her mind some where else

bell_peaches
12-17-2006, 07:43 PM
I am getting desprate I gave her the benydryl the doc gave her for itching hoping to knock her out. the boys are driving to the store to get me to poster boards and another roll of duck tape. I gave my son the last piece of poster board I had in the closet last week for a school project. I that night I told myself to get more because they are always needing it. Now I am mad at myself. now she is dripping a little blood. she is going to make my dyed hair turn grey tonight. How am I suppose to sleep and keep an eye on her. I guess my husband and I are going to have to take shifts till we get her to the vet tomarrow. GGGGGrrrrrrrr I wish she understood what I am saying to her about hurting herself. she does not understand when I tell her no. my two other dogs are laying by her crate which is not normal the one usually stays away from her.

buttercup132
12-17-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure if this is a good suggestion so anybody correct me if I'm wrong but maybe you could put some aloe vera on it or after sun burn stuff to help soothe the itching. Do you know what the scratching is from?

If all you have is bristal board you can just make it into a cone shape duct tape it together and put it over her head. Just make sure it's right size for her neck so it doesn't come off.

bell_peaches
12-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Yes she ripped a stitch out. it is opening up a little and bleeding. Dh is coming home to help me make that cone thing lol . she fell asleep for a little while but just woke up I just had to yell at her again. I can't wait till I get her to the vet tomarrow morning. I hope this will be covered under recheck. They should have given me something to put around her before she left. how can you stop a doggy from trying to remove something that is bothering her? they should have known she would have done somethng like this. I don't want to put anything on the open wound I could make it worse. I have gauze ready to tie this thing to her LOL she is really going to hate me taking her temperture today and now this. I just hope she knows I am trying to help her. She is going to be afraid of me after this. First I stick something in her then I have been yelling at her I put socks on her and tied them on with anothe sock. now I am going to put a cone around her. I would not like me either. Just keep her in you doggy prayers that she heals good and no more problems. Thanks

Catlady711
12-17-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm not sure if this is a good suggestion so anybody correct me if I'm wrong but maybe you could put some aloe vera on it or after sun burn stuff to help soothe the itching. Do you know what the scratching is from?

Putting creams/ointments on open wounds is generally NOT a good idea unless it's prescribed by the vet. Frequently those creams seal in moisture and actually encourage bacteria/infection to grow.

bell_peaches - sure hope the poster board works as a temporary e-collar. Hopefully your baby will stop scratching at it.

borzoimom
12-18-2006, 08:14 AM
I made a E collar out of cardboard- and yes- duct tape.. lol.
Lotions would not help. It will encourage infection, as well as most also contain forms of alcohol which would sting. For dryness- a punctured Vitamin E capsule might help. However- stopping the problem would be better.
Keep us posted.. And I know what you mean by grey hair- the dogs will cause as much as kids sometimes. After this is done- if that be the case, treat yourself.. lol..

bell_peaches
12-18-2006, 05:29 PM
I got her a real e- cone tonight. She hates me She keep ramming it into me trying to get me to take it off of her. I had to use gauze to tie it to her collar because as soon as I got it on her she would shake and shake her head and off it came. she is sitting next to me and hitting me constantly hoping I would get mad and take it off. I walked her and boy she did a job on my legs. She is doing it unperpous. LOL LOL I hope she gets use to it. I took it off for her dinner and water but now she is panting on me with her stinky breath and hitting me. I wanted to thank you all for all the advice you gave last night it saved me from rushing her back to the vet for an open eye. It is for her own good I hope she nows I love her. Boy have I put her through alot in the last month. Thank YOU all from the bottom of my heart. I did not know what to do for her last night.

Love That Collie
12-18-2006, 06:17 PM
I got her a real e- cone tonight. She hates me She keep ramming it into me trying to get me to take it off of her. I had to use gauze to tie it to her collar because as soon as I got it on her she would shake and shake her head and off it came. she is sitting next to me and hitting me constantly hoping I would get mad and take it off. I walked her and boy she did a job on my legs. She is doing it unperpous. LOL LOL I hope she gets use to it. I took it off for her dinner and water but now she is panting on me with her stinky breath and hitting me. I wanted to thank you all for all the advice you gave last night it saved me from rushing her back to the vet for an open eye. It is for her own good I hope she nows I love her. Boy have I put her through alot in the last month. Thank YOU all from the bottom of my heart. I did not know what to do for her last night.

Tighten up the E Collar, you don't have it snug enough if she can shake it off. She will get used to it. Don't take it off of her when she eats. She WILL figure out to eat and drink with it on . If you take it off too many times then she will resent it all the more. :) Just take it off of her to clean it if you need to. Bailey had to wear one for TEN DAYS when he was neutered. He spent the first day or two trying to get it off then he stopped. He slept in it, ate in it, drank in it, played in it and it was 95 degrees outside then. I asked the Dr about taking it off of him when eating and drinking and she said "no" for the reasons I stated above. Good Luck.

bell_peaches
12-18-2006, 07:02 PM
She tried to drink with it on outside and dumped the whole bowl. But I understand what you are saying and will leave it on her. I have my chair turned from her and she keeps hitting the back of the chair. LOL she is so mad.I got her a pretty red one. I wish my camera worked so I could show you all how she looks.

bell_peaches
12-18-2006, 07:22 PM
she just went to the water bowl and drank. You were right but she is beating me up.LOL

Freedom
12-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Just catching up on this, sounds like you are set. The e-collar probably cost you a lot LESS at PetSmart than it would have at the vet's.

My cat, Dazzle, had one after his neutering. He mastered pulling it off over his head with his front paws in 20 seconds flat! :eek:

Best wishes for both of you!

bell_peaches
12-18-2006, 07:49 PM
It cost me $17.00 for it.I had to buy it for an extra large neck 18 inches. she is a rolly polly. lol then when I was there I had to buy all three of them a cookie. She is sitting next to me panting really really heavy as if this is stressing her out having it on. But I will not take it off of her. once she figures out that I am not taking it off of her she will adjust. she keeps swinging her head expecting it to come off. I feel so sorry for her but it for her own good.

cyber-sibes
12-18-2006, 08:10 PM
I've had to use E-collars on my dog several times. I find that if I elevate her water & food bowls a bit, she can drink & eat with less problem. I put a little box on the floor so I can set her bowls up high enough so she can put her head & collar over it and the E-collar will not bump into the ground.

Love That Collie
12-20-2006, 07:32 PM
LOL.....yeah, Bailey ran into the walls a couple of times. I called his name one time and he turned quickly and banged into the door. :eek: When he figured out how to eat and drink he would lower the collar right down over the dish, come up for air and go back down for another bite. After he got used to it the darned thing bugged me more than it did him. :D

bell_peaches
12-20-2006, 08:01 PM
she is deadly with that e cone. My legs are killing me she is like a bull running into me. she runs into the walls doors. I don't think she is seeing to good out of her other eye either. She is shaking her quickly when outside like if she is afraid something is going to come up on the blind side. LOL she is a messy dog. she has dumped 6 bowls of water trying to drink. I have the elevated dishes so they don't have to eat heads down. she still is having a hard time. The other two dogs are running when ever she is walking. Their butts are probley sore she is like get even time. Ram Ram Ram. LOL And if I don't pay any attention to her she keeps hitting me in my leg. she hates me to sit at the computer. she is giving me bruises up and down my legs. I don't know if I can take it two weeks of her wearing it. LOL