PDA

View Full Version : Need girl baby names..

wolfsoul
12-16-2006, 08:24 PM
My friend, Marla, is due for a baby girl soon. Due in the middle of January actually, but likely to have it early -- the baby dropped about a month ago and she's been feeling like she isn't going to last much longer. :eek:

She already has two boys, Brennan and Bryce, and for five years has planned on having a girl and naming her Breanna, but her husband absolutely refuses. She just can't find a signle name she likes. She thought about Ariel for a while but changed her mind. Mike came up with Arianna, Olive, and Kyra, and she hates those. She's being very picky lol.

She wants something unique but not crazy -- she said besides Breanna there is nothing she will name her baby that you can find on a pen.

I've given her every different name I can think of and she hates them all. Any name ideas are appreciated!

BitsyNaceyDog
12-16-2006, 08:40 PM
The name we were probably going to name our baby, had it been a girl, was Lilla.

finn's mom
12-16-2006, 09:05 PM
I like feminine names, but, I also like really boyish names, too. I know a few girls named Michael. ;) Anyway, I like these...

Pearl
Grey
Violet

Those are all I can think of at the moment...Are they Irish or Italian or does heritage have no bearing on what they'll name their daughter? Do they have any meanings that they want out of a name or anything like that? Be sure to keep us posted on what they choose. :)

Sophist
12-17-2006, 01:52 AM
They could sorta combine their names (Mike and Marla) and name her Micah or Mika. Micah is a boy's name, but I once knew a girl named that(spelled Mica) and she got a lot of compliments on it. Not totally outlandish, but fairly distinct. Dunno, just popped into my head...

Breanna is a feminine name based on a masculine name (it originated as a form of Brian, according to most sources) so Micah may have kind of the same vibe for her... plus all the Mikayla/Makenna/McKenzie names are pretty hot names for girls right now, so Micah would sort of let her fit in, without having to share her name with a lot of classmates.

Well, I've half talked myself into Micah, lol, you'll have to let me know what she thinks.

Any more tips you can give us on what she might be interested in would help. I love studying name meanings and origins, so I'd be glad to make suggestions. :D Keep us all posted on if she likes any of our ideas.

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-17-2006, 04:47 AM
Anika ?

Rachel
12-17-2006, 07:17 AM
My niece is expecting a baby, so I've been thinking a lot about possible names. Here are a few I like

Jodelle
Ava
Bethany (if she wants something starting with a B)
Donna (sort of retro)
Kayla

borzoimom
12-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Brittney ?

animal_rescue
12-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Bridget
Arabella
Charlotte
West
Andrea
Sophie

kuhio98
12-17-2006, 09:19 AM
She wants something unique but not crazy -- she said besides Breanna there is nothing she will name her baby that you can find on a pen. Jeez ~ Has it come down to that? Names you can find on a pen? That's an important consideration? :confused:

If she likes Breanna, she could make that her middle name. Sometime kids choose to be called by their middle name. My mom's name is Catheryne Berniece. Catheryne is a beautiful name, but the family insisted in calling her Berniece.

I have a friend named Anastasia. They call her Sia (pronounced Seea) for short. Another friend is Tatiana (seems like I have a lot of Russian friends). :)

My sister was going to be named Bronwyn, but Mom changed that to Carmen. Does she like those names?

We've got an Ariel and an Anna and an Amy and a Ryan (girl) and a Koa (hawaiian) in the family. None of them are named what their parents originally picked out. They all changed the name once they saw the baby.

Flatcoatluver
12-17-2006, 11:52 AM
If he doesn't like Breanna, what about my name Breanne? :D JK

My favorite names for girls are Madison(which is becoming popular), and Kendra. I know I am not much help. :o

wolfsoul
12-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks everyone, I will give her the suggestions. :) I already asked about making the middle name Breanna and just calling her that, but she says that would be sneaky and malicious...Since Mike hates the "Br" theme and does not want to continue it.

She doesn't have any particular "meanings" or anything in mind, but she likes Gaelic names, and apparently Brennan and Bryce are Gaelic though I could onl yfind them uner English names on behindthename.com . She says she's going to look through Lord of the Rings and see if she can find anything she likes out of there. She likes Eowyn but it's too hard to say, and Arwyn is our boss' puppy's name.

These are the names I suggested to her the other day: Shane, Ariella, Shada, Kess, Eden, Trista, Carmen, Cayter, Kenna, Avalon, Rachelle, Raquel, Evee, Alexis, Annika, Rhianna, Rhiannon, Caeden, Koreen, Rayne, Roslyn, Sable, Rylan, Summer, Sierra, Kydah, Lily, Leila, Cori, Liana, Renee, Souraya, Surae, D'nae, Alisa, Caira, Mylah, Holly, Lorelai, Candace, Kendall, Kaylin...

Her mom suggested Elizabeth which is her mom's original name, and Sarreny which is her mom's monk name. She also suggested Dea (Day-uh) which means Goddess (I'm sure you ex-hippies know this :p ), and Marla would have considered it if they hadn't had a big fat doberman named Dea when she was a kid. Dea is also in her kennel name so it would have been nice.

Mike wants Olive which is his late grandmother's name, and none of us like that one -- way too old-fashioned. We all like Olivia, but we have two shih tzus that come into the shop named Olivia and Marla says she will be reminded of a shih tzu every time she says it lol.

I will give her the name suggestions, hopefully there will be something she likes! She's quite picky about everything.

animal_rescue
12-17-2006, 01:48 PM
What about Isolde?

Sophist
12-18-2006, 03:12 PM
I actually like the suggestion of Elizabeth. It may be common, but more in a classic way, not in a trendy way. Plus, no matter what her little girl is like Elizabeth has a nickname that suits pretty much any personality. If you name your kid Elizabeth, you let her choose being Elizabeth, Liz, Lizzie, Beth, Liza, Eliza, El, Ellie, Libby, Bizzie, Betty, or any of the other nicknames she likes.

carole
12-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Here is a list of gaelic names.

Kyla-scottish gaelic.

Kiera- Irish

Kaylee- Irish or Cayleigh

Chevonne-Irish. or Shavonne

Rosheen-Irish.

Riane.

Shannah- Irish.

Talulla-Irish

Just a few.
Other names

Katelynn or Caitlynn or caitlinn.

Mikayla.

Aislinn-gaelic name.

Anyhow hope she finds the perfect name they both like for their wee girl. :) p.s I think one should be very picky when it comes to naming your child. :)

Genny
12-18-2006, 08:08 PM
I like Makenzie.

catnapper
12-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Carmen
Camille
Camilla
Mia
Maya

Shoot... there was another one I was gonna tell you and it popped out of my head!

WolvesRawk
12-18-2006, 09:28 PM
I don't know if she'll like these, but these are a few of my favorites
Allyson
Charisse(pronounced Sha-rees)
Clara
Kira
Rhianna(Its kinda similar, yet different, I guess)

junescrater716
12-18-2006, 09:50 PM
How about Lillian Rose? I love that name and that is what I want to name my daughter if I ever have one.

finn's mom
12-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Are they any closer to choosing a name?

Oh, and, reading some of the names Carole posted, I remembered my friend's daughter's name...Seanan (prounounced like *shawn-un), kindof an Irish way to say Shannon. :)

tikeyas_mom
12-29-2006, 11:32 AM
i personally like the name breanna... i think Mike should suck it up lol

wolfsoul
12-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Marla had a baby girl, 7 pounds 3 ounces this morning. :)

Still can't find a name they will agree on, so for now her name is Baby. I won't be surprised if it stays Baby. lol.

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-29-2006, 12:33 PM
How about "Brynn" ?

xcolbi
12-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Here are some of my favourite girls names:

Acacia - Greek
Ariana - Italian
Capri - Italian
Ceara - Irish
Kaylyn - American
Keira - Irish
Kelly - Irish
Kiara - Irish
Lacey - American
Lilliana - Latin
Livia - Hebrew/Latin
Lola - Spanish
Rochelle - Hebrew/French
Savannah - Spanish
Scarlett - English
Shae - Irish
Sophie - Greek
Tacey - English
Terri - Greek
Tiara - Latin
Viviana - Latin

finn's mom
12-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Hey, thanks for the update and congratulations to your friends. I think it's a good idea to wait until they can come to an agreement, and, maybe now that their daughter is here, she can "tell" them her name. ;)

finn's mom
01-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't know why I'm so interested in what name they finally choose...but I keep thinking of this thread. Any name chosen, yet?

lvpets2002
01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
:) Breanna Nichole

Suki Wingy
01-17-2007, 01:57 PM
I like Lark or Larken, which I've noticed are being used a bit more recently. Congrats to them on a healthy baby though!

Kalei
01-17-2007, 02:05 PM
I like ...

October
Elizabeth
Rice

wolfsoul
01-17-2007, 09:58 PM
They named her Raeya -- her middle name is Sarah Elizabeth. :)

finn's mom
01-17-2007, 10:13 PM
They named her Raeya -- her middle name is Sarah Elizabeth. :)

How do you pronounce that? It's pretty looking! ;)

wolfsoul
01-17-2007, 10:33 PM
it's pronounced "Ray-Uh" :)