PDA

View Full Version : Dog Run

3GSDMom
12-16-2006, 06:49 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=118154

Yes, for now we are keeping it on the concrete. It's going to be raining a lot and I don't want him in the mud. He won't be in it for the next two weeks (only at night to sleep). It's MUCH better than him having to stay in his crate. I'll probably get him a mat or something to put in there to lay on so he doesn't get callouses (or however you spell it.)

His crate is 3ft x 2ft
his dog run is 12ft x 7ft. Much better, no?

Crate
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/travis_gsd27/Dogrun001.jpg

Dog Run
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/travis_gsd27/Dogrun006.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/travis_gsd27/Dogrun007.jpg

Bad pictures because the weather is horrible. But it gives you an idea of what he's got.
I put his dogloo in there, food and water dishes and one of his Cuz's in there.

For those of you who don't know what a Cuz is

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/Travis_GSDlover2755/babes1212prt2031.jpg

I put the green one in with him :D

He's not too thrilled about the run right now, He'll get used to it.

My parents thought it was oh so funny to put it next to my window. (The three windows you can see in the picture right by the run)

He's not spoiled at all *cough*

borzoimom
12-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Welll. I see your point on a run verses a small crate, but does he have a very large water bucket? One that will clip to the run so he can not knock it over?

3GSDMom
12-16-2006, 07:01 PM
He has a large, heavy water dish. It's also shaped in a way that makes it harder to tip. (I've already thought all of this through ;) )

borzoimom
12-16-2006, 07:02 PM
YOu might want to look into a bucket. Just make sure you drain, rinse and fill it every day to prevent bacteria that could upset the digestive tract.. I have one that clips in my van. Its very handy.

3GSDMom
12-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I'll see how his current dish works out and then go from there. If he tips it, I'll get a better one that he can't tip.

borzoimom
12-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Mine has a simple clip. It attaches on both ends. If I remember right, I got it at a dog show, but really even a feed store would have a metal bucket and a two ended clip.One to the bucket- one to the fence.

3GSDMom
12-16-2006, 07:10 PM
I'll definetly look into it if I feel it is necessary. Thank you. :)

borzoimom
12-16-2006, 07:17 PM
He can live without food for hours, but not water.
Years ago, I had a young dobie- I had a crate in the kitchen for a bed, but basically she stayed in the kitchen with a HUGE ceremic water bowl. One night coming home from work, they had a huge accident- to make a long story short, I did not get home but 4 hours later than normal. Coming into the kitchen expecting only a hungry dog, instead I found my girl laying down, barely able to wag her stubby little tail. I looked at her and as I tried to figure out why she would not get up, I glanced at her water bowl. It was moved- and empty, and the rug near it was barely damp. I filled the water bowl, and she drank the WHOLE BOWL then threw up.
You prepare for the worst so the care meets the worse case scenio.. That is why my constant inquiries. Since then, I leave more water than any dog could drink. Unable to spill ( even my dog bowls here are in a elevated stand- but the stand is literally attached to something to keep them from being spilled. Also- keep in mind- if animal control drops by when you are not there, and its the one day in a million but the dog has no water, you will be charged with abuse... Worst case scenio- probably- but Murph's law is just that..

3GSDMom
12-16-2006, 07:23 PM
I appreciate your concern but I've got it under control :) He always has water available to him. And as I explained, his dish is heavy and shaped in a way that makes it not easy to tip over. I bought it especially for that purpose. He is not outside for very long either. My mom just works down the street and often comes home throughout the day. Except for those few hours a day while we are working, he is inside with us. I guess I didn't really make that clear, he is NOT outside all the time. He is an inside dog.

cyber-sibes
12-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Looks nice. Mine have a large bucket in their kennel and they have never knocked it over. The edges get chewed on, but that's about it. I don't know where you live, but we have cold winters here, and I found that a heated water bowl is a very good investment. Farm supply stores and some pet stores sell them. Personally, I'm happy to see you get an outdoor kennel for him while you are working. I know a lot of people don't like dogs in kennels, but I'll tell you what - I feel much better knowing mine are outside enjoying fresh air, sunshine, birds singing, and have plenty of room to stretch out and move around when I'm gone as opposed to being locked in a small crate in a house all day. My guess is that he will soon love being in it.

3GSDMom
12-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Personally, I'm happy to see you get an outdoor kennel for him while you are working. I know a lot of people don't like dogs in kennels, but I'll tell you what - I feel much better knowing mine are outside enjoying fresh air, sunshine, birds singing, and have plenty of room to stretch out and move around when I'm gone as opposed to being locked in a small crate in a house all day. My guess is that he will soon love being in it.

That is exactly my view on it. I can't be with him every second of the day (need to make money to spoil him rotten ;) ) so I feel that this is my best choice. I can go to work without worrying about him being in his crate and he..well doesnt have to be in his crate. ;)