PDA

View Full Version : "Cosy" Christmas in Copenhagen!

Randi
12-16-2006, 12:43 PM
The ongoing saga of Ungdomshuset (a youth collective) seem to have escalated again. :rolleyes: The court had ruled in October that they would have to vacate the building by 14th December, but the Police voiced safety concerns for the tenants in the area, and the Court temporarely postponed the clearout. Ungdomshuset was sold by the City Council in 1999 to Human A/S, who later sold it on to Faderhuset, a Christian group. There have been numerous demonstrations to keep the house since August. In particular on September 24th when 263 were arrested, and in November almost as many.

The group of people had been allowed to use the house about 20 years ago, but no documents were made up, as far as I know.

So today, as I was sitting here, trying to get in the Christmas spirit, it all started again. I tell you, it's like a real war!! I kind of feel sorry for the kids that they can't keep the house, but I also feel sorry for the people living very close by. The Christian group has been offered quite a large sum to buy another house in town, but so far, they haven't accepted.

Here's a link: http://news.tv2.dk/article.php/id-5632396.html

On the right side, you'll see pictures in the first 3 links.

So... if you see me online during the night, that's because I can't sleep. :rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
12-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Nothing like a "peaceful" demonstration to help get in the Christmas Spirit!

Cinder & Smoke
12-16-2006, 02:38 PM
:eek:

Just How Far is the House War from your apartment??

Do the demonstrations happen "right out front" - or are you far enough away that
you don't need to worry?

Please - Stay SAFE!
;)

Randi
12-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks Phred! No luckily, it's a little away from my street, but I can certainly hear it - and poor Fister is frightened by the bombs etc.

I'll attach a picture. Where the red bed is, is where I live, in between is the graveyard, and the yellow marker is where it all happens. However, they don't stay in the same spot, but often walks along the graveyard walls towards the city (over the lakes). At the bottom, I think you can see the distance.

It has been rather quiet for the last hour, but of course, most of them have been arrested and some are in hospital. Must admit, my sympathy goes to the pets people have and the older and sick people, rather than the kids loosing their squatted house.

This paper in English, which comes out once a week, may have some stories about the situation - or it definately will have in the next issue!
http://www.cphpost.dk/

Cinder & Smoke
12-16-2006, 04:23 PM
WOW!

Copenhagen is a *BIG* City!
Glad the Graveyard acts somewhat as a barrier ... hope the "Kids" start to stay
closer to "home".

Turn the radio on to try to mask the Sounds of Battle.
:p

Randi
12-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Turn the radio on!!?? You must be joking! :eek: However, I know this wierd guy, he can't sleep without the radio on.... btw, his birthday is 1st of January. ;)

Phred, Copenhagen could probably fit into NYC, at least when it comes to inhabitants, but I’d say Copenhagen is rather a big city - we’re just over 1 mill. people living here.

On the map below, you'll see a place called Ballerup in the left side, that is where I worked for the last month - it takes an hour to get there by public transport. :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Hjemme/test.jpg

Concerning the situation with the kids in the house - it may get worse. They are now talikng about finding another location for them, and it could end up being really close to me. :eek: The neighbors to that house they're in now are now, are split up into two groups, one supports them, the others are fed up! I can relate, as getting up early and having to go to work, you need your sleep!

This is the latest news:

The mass destruction that took place over the Ungdomshuset youth collective Saturday night has even former supporters saying enough

Violent confrontations between police and supporters of the Ungdomshuset youth collective resulted in 273 arrests and several hundred thousand kroner worth of damage to businesses and public property.

The Nørrebro district looked like a war zone after this weekend's uproar, fuelled by the youth collective's call for 'outside help' from sympathizers across Europe. Many of those collared by police came from Germany, Sweden and Holland, and both an Italian man and a Portuguese woman are being held in remand for vandalism and assaulting police officers.

The violence was so disturbing to area residents and business owners that many who had supported the collective's cause are now finished with the collective.

'The young people assured us the demonstrations this weekend would be peaceful, then this happens - a planned demonstration where they've laid ammunition dumps and thrown bricks. They've completely betrayed every confidence we had in them,' said Christian Bondorff from Neighbours in Nørrebro, to Berlingske Tidende newspaper.

That organisation had assisted the collective by creating dialogue networks and campaigning on behalf of the Jagtvej 69 Foundation, which was seeking to purchase the building from its owners, the Christian group Faderhuset.

Bondorff's Neighbours in Nørrebro colleague, Martin Stahl, agreed that the violence was probably the last straw.

'After Saturday's events everything is lost for Ungdomshuset.'

Among the several businesses that were vandalised, American international chains McDonalds and 7-Eleven received of a good portion of the gang's aggression. Privately-owned businesses also suffered extensive damage as many shops' large plate glass windows were smashed and some businesses looted.

Copenhagen's Lady Mayor, Ritt Bjerregaard, has said the city will not help pay for damages to businesses.

Police, however, are not taking the weekend's episodes so lightly.

Chief Inspector Per Larsen of Copenhagen Police told public broadcaster DR: 'We're getting a full-scale investigation underway to find evidence. This incident was of such severe character that we're not cutting any corners.'