PDA

View Full Version : No such thing as a mixed breed?

junescrater716
12-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Well, I was just thinking after reviewing a few topics on dog breeds. Technically there is no such thing as a mixed breed. Different dog breeds began when other people bred two different types of dogs to create one type of dog.

I thought that made sense because if you breed a labradoodle or a cockapoo and continue to breed that breed, then couldn't it become a breed of it's own???? :confused:

luvofallhorses
12-15-2006, 09:57 PM
how is there no such thing? :confused: of course there is such thing as a mixed breed! :) or heinz 57 that has a little bit of everything in the dog. :p

junescrater716
12-15-2006, 09:59 PM
I know I was just asking if there was or not becuase it just doesn't make sense to me.

If you continue to breed a "mixed breed", couldn't it become a breed of it's own???

Karen
12-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Until something like a Lab/poodle mix can be bred to each other and create consitent results, it still is a mixed breed.

Many lovely dogs are mixes of many unknown breeds - they are just as likely to be wonderful pets as those given fancy names and titles. There's no shame in owning a mixed-breed dog, and anyone who thinks so should be reminded that, in all likelihood they themselves are a "mixed breed" and no less human!

junescrater716
12-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Yes, but if lab/poodle mixes continues for another few hundred years won't it be considered and actual breed then????

Suki Wingy
12-15-2006, 10:03 PM
why yes it would. Only untill they breed consistently same results can they be considered a breed of their own.

Kfamr
12-15-2006, 10:05 PM
I don't think you understand.

Until they can breed a "Labradoodle" to a "Labradoodle" and get almost an identical litter of puppies, it will never be a breed. There won't be a standard for the breed to be bred to.

Some people already consider these mutts a breed, however they're just that.. mutts!

And there is such thing as mixed breeds.. I own 4 of them. ;)

Danegirl2208
12-15-2006, 10:05 PM
why yes it would. Only untill they breed consistently same results can they be considered a breed of their own.

exactly...

wolfsoul
12-15-2006, 10:28 PM
A breed is never a breed until it breeds TRUE. Now you can definatly get different looks and styles and colours and hair types in one breed, and have them be the same breed -- however, in a litter of labradoodles, you can get SUCH different hair types, different hair colour, different size, different body type, different energy level/temperament, different levels of maitenance, etc. In one breed, you can say "the breed is generally...." so on and so forth. In a mixed breed, you can't say what it generally is, because you never get consistent results.

buttercup132
12-15-2006, 10:32 PM
I have been thinking the same thing latley. Not that there is no mixed breeds but about how everydog orignially comes from being bred to a dog of a different breed.

IF a Labradoodle became a breed would they be considered 2 different kinds? There are those weird wire haired ones and the curly coated ones.

Although I don't think they ever will become a breed I'm just using a example. And like how there are so many different types of Belgins.

areias
12-15-2006, 10:56 PM
But then again, a breed was formed from MANY different breeds, not just two. Although I guess it is possible eventually, but say if you took an australian shepherd...they had to breed (and I have no idea, just giving an example) maybe a Cattle Dog, German Shepherd, Sheltie, and Border Collie plus another few with specific traits to get what they wanted. It wasn't JUST a Border Collie and Cattle Dog.

Husky15
12-16-2006, 12:06 AM

Until they can breed a "Labradoodle" to a "Labradoodle" and get almost an identical litter of puppies, it will never be a breed. There won't be a standard for the breed to be bred to.

Exactly.

And there are such things as mixed breeds. I mean, take my dog for instance, she is a Chihuahua/Pekingese, but that doesn't make her a breed of her own. Although I can see where you're coming from.

Every breed originated from breeding a number of breeds together. Take the Doberman for example. Here is some information taken from Dogs Annual;

The Doberman Pinscher takes its name from its creator, Louis Dobermann, who was a tax collector and dog warden in Germany. Not being engaged in the most popular of occupations, Dobermann wanted a dog that would be protective, alert and agile so he blended several breeds to achieve his ideal. Though the exact breeds used will never be known, it is believed the German Pinscher, Rottweiler, Manchester Terrier and Greyhound went into the makeup of the Dobe. The breed was accepted for registration by the German Kennel Club in 1900. Internationally known as a security dog, the breed made a name for itself during World War II for its bravery under fire.

Another example is the Toller. Also taken from Dogs Annual;

According to legend, James Allen of Melbourne, Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, created the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever in about 1860 by blending such breeds as the Irish Setter, Cocker Spaniel, and Labrador and Flat-coat Retrievers. The result was a medium-sized compact dog with a water-resistant double coat and minimal white markings on feet, face and chest. But appearance was not his uppermost concern. He was primarily interested in creating a breed that excelled in intelligence, trainability, retrieving and tolling - attracting game birds within shooting range by playing on their curiosity. Anyone who's had the privilege of associating with a Toller knows that he succeeded admirably on all counts.

But sometimes I sit down and think, Wouldn't there had to have been an original pure-bred dog to start it all?

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-16-2006, 12:18 AM
I agree with the other posts above mine. Yes, while all breeds started out as mixes, unlike the Labradoodle, they were being bred for a purpose and they didn't just keep breeding two or more different breeds to eachother constantly. Most Labradoodle breeders take a Lab and a Poodle and call it a Labradoodle. That is not breeding true. As mentioned in the Toller quote in the post above mine, Tollers were originally made up of quite a few breeds. However, early Toller breeders took a few pups out of a mixed litter or two and bred them together to create more dogs with the characteristics they desired. So, eventually Tollers were being bred to other Tollers over and over again - they were being bred true and eventually were able to have a standard and were able to be called a purebred dog, as they were bred pure and true throughout the years. Hopefully that made sense. I tried to word myself as best as possible.

Husky15
12-16-2006, 12:25 AM
I agree with the other posts above mine. Yes, while all breeds started out as mixes, unlike the Labradoodle, they were being bred for a purpose and they didn't just keep breeding two or more different breeds to eachother constantly. Most Labradoodle breeders take a Lab and a Poodle and call it a Labradoodle. That is not breeding true. As mentioned in the Toller quote in the post above mine, Tollers were originally made up of quite a few breeds. However, early Toller breeders took a few pups out of a mixed litter or two and bred them together to create more dogs with the characteristics they desired. So, eventually Tollers were being bred to other Tollers over and over again - they were being bred true and eventually were able to have a standard and were able to be called a purebred dog, as they were bred pure and true throughout the years. Hopefully that made sense. I tried to word myself as best as possible.

You definitely made sense to me. You are right, they were bred true. Not like today where they take two breeds, give them a cutesy name which is a mix of both breed names and say they're a breed of their own to make more money. And also, breeds that were made back then were not given a cutesy name mixed together by all breed names, they were given an actual name. Like the Doberman, which was named after its creator.

Flatcoatluver
12-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Everyone raises very good points. I honestly don't understand some of the designer "breeds" purpose. What purpose would a puggle be besides being a good family dog, which you can find a great family dog at your local humane socity. Why are puggle so over priced? Is it because their cute? Wouldn't they have some of their worse health problems. Another thing I have been thinking about is this:

Goldendoodle.
Golden+poodle...
Where to they get the d from? It should be called goldenpoodle, but I guess it doesn't have a "ring" to it.

applesmom
12-16-2006, 12:30 AM
This is a thought provoking question; no doubt about it. :)

Not too long ago during one of my sleepless nights I came across this series of articles that relates to many of the questions that have come up here.
The author was trying to develop a strain of naturally short tailed boxers and he crossed them with Cardigan Welsh Corgis to do it.

Though I certainly don't agree with what he's doing, I found the reasoning and the results fascinating. The insights into what it actually takes to develop one breed by mixing just two breeds is mind boggling. Just think what it would have taken to develop many of the breeds that are in existence today.

Here's the link! You don't have to be a student of canine genetics to understand it. ;)

Genetics and Cross breeding (http://www.steynmere.com/ARTICLES1.html)

junescrater716
12-16-2006, 01:58 PM
That is sooo interesting!!!!