PDA

View Full Version : Toothaches?

areias
12-14-2006, 06:55 PM
So...when you don't have dental insurance...the filling in your root canal you got when you DID have dental insurance fell out because no one told you you had to get a cap on it ( :mad: ) and vicodin and orajel won't help the pain...what do you use? :p

Any tips?

K9karen
12-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Really? The DDS didn't tell you that you needed a cap? Even though you no longer have dental insurance, IMO it's his responsibility and you should call him immediately before you get a wicked infection or worse. I don't think any painkiller is going to work because it's exposed at this point and food and air and junk is going to get at it.

After I got laid off and no longer had dental, my wonderful dentist let me pay the bill off with no interest because he knew my position. Maybe you can work something out.

Check into Delta Dental. I joined it because I was afraid I'd desperately need extreme dental work one day and not be covered. I did find out that I have to wait 1 year after joining for them to pay part a cap I need but since, *knock on wood* I"m doing OK, I'm going to wait it out.

I figure your dentist has your past records and knows he didn't do a cap. Shame on him! Call! Call! Call! You have my sympathy.

RockyRoad
12-14-2006, 07:33 PM
I know this pain *all* too well! :(

Sounds like you need to give your dentist a call. I'm shocked (s)he did not tell you a crown was needed. Let them know you're in pain; perhaps they can put in a temporary and prescribe an antibiotic. Because there is pain there could be an infection at the end of the root. If the cost worries you, ask them the cost, although if you come in and just get x-rays done and everything it should be around the area of $50. I don't know your dentist though, so it may be different.
A crown is normally recommended on root canal teeth to prevent them from fractures, to which they are easily susceptible, but pain means there's something else there.. *maybe* an infection that should be treated with antibiotics. And, of course, the filling will need to be redone. Some doctors will redo a composite for less $$.. I know all of the doctors I work with do so. I hope you can work something out, feel better!

RedHedd
12-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Go back to the original dentist - he didn't finish the job. A crown is part of a root canal to seal everything up. If he won't do it, find a dental school that could help, although right now many are on Christmas break. And when you're taken care of consider suing the first doc for dental malpractice!

Vela
12-15-2006, 05:21 AM
A crown is not part of a root canal, it is a separate procedure and separate charge. The tooth is sealed with the post and filling, unless you break it or it falls out etc. You can opt NOT to have a crown and take your risks with either a temp or the post and filling. They are two separate things with two separate charges. Yes, it should have been done at the time of the root canal, as most people get one after a root canal, but it's not part of doing a root canal. I find it very odd that he didn't recommend you get a crown, but that's something you will have to ask him about. He may give you a discounted price on the crown now, since you didn't have it done back when you had dental insurance. It is worth at least asking him about to see if he will cut you a deal. My husband had a root canal, then 6 months later, when the insurance renewed at the end of the year, he had the crown done. You do have to be really careful with uncrowned root canals. Sorry you are in pain, tooth pain is some of the worst, and you need to have it taken care of because you can get a really nasty infection in there.

As far as suing him for malpractice, unless he told you specifically not to get a crown, as you wouldn't need it, then there really isn't much you can do as far as a lawsuit being successful against him. Although I would find a new dentist, as he should have discussed getting one and why you should get one. Doesn't sound like a great dentist IMO.

borzoimom
12-15-2006, 08:16 AM
So...when you don't have dental insurance...the filling in your root canal you got when you DID have dental insurance fell out because no one told you you had to get a cap on it ( :mad: ) and vicodin and orajel won't help the pain...what do you use? :p

Any tips?
For what its worth- my daughter is in the middle of becoming a oral surgeon assistant- she said that a cap really isnt necessary unless you are having pain- then probably the root canal they did not get all of the infection out. I would call the dentist. maybe there is an infection in there or the roots were not done properly. As far as pain- I had 3 root canals. The first two never hurt- the 3rd one I was physically sick with pain the night I had it done. Even codeine didnt work= just made me throw up...
How long ago was this root canal? Also- look into a dental college. Its like 1/3 the price and they have real doctors there- you just also have students in the room..