PDA

View Full Version : Might be Helping A Pregnant Cat

Argranade
12-14-2006, 03:50 PM
There is this girl who posted an add on how she found this pregnant cat but she can't keep it because her father has alergies, she needed help so I offered to take the mother .. let her have babies then give them to good homes .. maybe keeping one kitten ;), it's wierd because my mom actualy agreed on a wild mother cat and not that indoor kitten I wanted. :/

Anyway is there anything speacail I should feed the mother cat?, I'll probably be getting this cat buy this next Thursday hopefuly, it will be in my house resting and keeping warm, of course she won't go near my birds & I won't let my brothers near her.

Well my mom said yes .. so I can't wait to see the kittens when there born :D , I hope they'll all turn out ok and won't pass away but I'm sure they'll be fine with there mother of course.

Oh yes the girl is supposed to send me a photo of the mother cat.

Catlady711
12-14-2006, 03:57 PM
You might want to call your vets office to double check me, however as far as I know a NURSING mother cat should be fed kitten food because of the extra protien requirements.

Hope the momma cat and babies do good.

Good luck.

Argranade
12-14-2006, 04:00 PM
You might want to call your vets office to double check me, however as far as I know a NURSING mother cat should be fed kitten food because of the extra protien requirements.

Hope the momma cat and babies do good.

Good luck.

Good thing I bought kitten food before when I thought I was going to get a S- kitten, geuss it realy was not a waste cause now mamma has extra food, I never seen a new born kitten before lol *googles photos*

I'll double on the vet tho, thanks.

moosmom
12-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Mama cats need lots of protein and vitamins. Feeding her canned kitten food and dry kitten food are an excellent source. You can also boil up chicken livers and give her those. Lots of iron, good for her. I did that when Mattie Grace was with me, before she had her babies.

She'll need a nice quiet room, with a box lined with newspaper and old towels or blankets, along with her food, water and litterbox.

The gestation period for a cat is 63-65 days. When she is starting labor, she will get very restless and won't eat alot. She will start to pant and push went the birth is imminent. The total time for labor and delivery from start to finish is 10 hours. Just stay with her and encourage her. Let her do the rest. That means giving birth, then chewing off the umbilical chord and eating the placenta (I know it's gross). The babies will start to nurse immediately. If at anytime she shows lack of interest to a kitten, try to put the kitten to her teats to nurse. Make sure once all the babies are born, that she has a clean box with clean bedding.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me. There are also other PT members that can help too.

catmandu
12-14-2006, 06:43 PM
And a can of Tuna or two, Pouncette ate that up before bringing Gary and Ivon into the World.
The best of luck with those Kittens, and of course the Momma Cat too.

Argranade
12-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone and Moosmom, if I need help I'll be sure to PM you.

They said she's pretty big so she must be close to having them maybe in a few weeks or less but I'll judge that when I get the photos so I can see her tummy of kittens lol.