PDA

View Full Version : hey ppz

katrina
12-14-2006, 12:02 PM
hey, i am new to this site, i went on al the time to check out the pet of the day but today i realised i could join lolz. anyway, i recently bought a new german shorthaired pointer at 10 wks old, and decided to put up some pictures of him!!! hope ya al like him! he means so much to me, although he can be a handling to look after some times, hes worth it and i wouldnt change a thing about him!

borzoimom
12-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Wait til applesmom sees your puppy!
Very cute little baby..
If I may suggest- do not train your puppy to paper train because it just teaches the dog to go in the house. I am sure a 10 week old keeps you busy, but in the long run, it is easier..
What a doll baby!!! And WELCOME! I warn you though- this site is addictive! :D

pitc9
12-14-2006, 12:25 PM
WELCOME to Pet Talk!!
Oh what a Cutie Pie you have there!

If in fact you are paper training, I personally found it useful because I could move the paper closer and closer to the door, and eventually put the paper outside. But house training is as different as each breed of dog is for the dogs as well as the people doing the training.

I hope you stick around and share more pictures!

Flatcoatluver
12-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Very cute pup!
I'm Breanne and I have a flat-coated retriever and a english setter. Welcome to pet talk!

Bmom she never even mentioned paper training.

katrina
12-14-2006, 12:46 PM
cheers, i really appriaciate the advice, i find it pretty difficult house training because i have heard so many methods and dont know which to do. so any advise is welcoming.

borzoimom
12-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Very cute pup!
I'm Breanne and I have a flat-coated retriever and a english setter. Welcome to pet talk!

Bmom she never even mentioned paper training.
The papers were in the back ground on the floor spread out..

borzoimom
12-14-2006, 01:19 PM
cheers, i really appriaciate the advice, i find it pretty difficult house training because i have heard so many methods and dont know which to do. so any advise is welcoming.
Its hard to get a method. It depends on how long the puppy is left during the day, the age( we know), and feeding habits. If you give those 3 pieces of information maybe I can help..

katrina
12-14-2006, 01:32 PM
the pup gets fed 3 times a day with about half a cup of hills science plan puppy mix, he would very rarely be left alone as my mum is home most of the day.

borzoimom
12-14-2006, 01:36 PM
the pup gets fed 3 times a day with about half a cup of hills science plan puppy mix, he would very rarely be left alone as my mum is home most of the day.
Oh that is great!! Okay- take him out when he wakes up, let him play, back out as play makes the blader tighter, then feed, then back out. I usually let my young ones play a little bit, then take them out to pee before nap time. He will have to sleep alot at this age. Out side trips are mostly early am or later pm.
You didnt mention a crate if he takes a nap in them. Either way- just watch him and when he wakes up, outside. In another month the trips out will decrease to- out in the morning, then play a little and eat- back out. If any wild play- then out to pee but it slows down how often he will have to go. I usually take a puppy out before they eat and after they eat and after play. A puppy usually increases in activity if they have to go- like looking for a spot but not willing to slow down..
All puppies should learn the concept of a crate. Even if its just at night to define a sleeping pattern. Also later in life, this will help them understand a crate is " not a puppy eater" like if they go to the vets etc or even riding in a car..

katrina
12-14-2006, 01:40 PM
thanks, that information is really helpful, and makes house training much easier to understand, much appriciated! :D

borzoimom
12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
thanks, that information is really helpful, and makes house training much easier to understand, much appriciated! :D
It works- but it takes like a baby sitter. Just remember- when they get up, outside but walk calmly to the door so its not a wild trip for the puppy, then inside to play- just watch- you will see the activity picking up speed- back out.
YOur baby is 10 weeks old- in a month this wont be so many times. When the pup goes out as he is peeing- say low and quiet and calm " hurry up " ( or whatever the word) and as he finishes praise but not over zeolous. This makes puppies nervous. The " hurry up" works later when its raining, you go out side and the pup goes " duh- why are we out here?"... lol.. Or if you are somewhere that the area is different. I found this comes in handy at a truck stop or something when traveling because my guys never see that many cars and all where I live- they get dumbfounded.. lol.. A little " hurry up" gets the subject back on track.. lol..
*** One more thing- if the puppy goes outside- then starts playing outside for a while, remember to do the hurry up ( whatever) before you come in..

katrina
12-14-2006, 01:49 PM
again thanks, the advise is much appriciated :D

Suki Wingy
12-14-2006, 03:29 PM
well he's pretty darn cute! Welcome to PT, it's a great place. I've never had a pup that young before, he must be fun!

cyber-sibes
12-14-2006, 03:40 PM
What a cutie pie! He's adorable. :) And welcome to PT!

xcolbi
12-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Welcome to Pettalk! I have a black Lab/Border Collie girl named Colbi :p Your puppy is ADORABLE! What's his name?

katrina
12-15-2006, 12:09 PM
awww how cute!! he is much fun to look after, although he is a rascal at times, he is worth it. his name is Roly :)

borzoimom
12-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Here it is applesmom..

applesmom
12-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi Katrina and welcome! I had GSP's for 30 years so I know how much fun they can be! :D

katrina
12-30-2006, 07:35 AM
we have had a few german pointers before, but they were all wirehaireds, this is our first shorthaired. he is alot of fun indeed! :)

*future vet*
12-30-2006, 09:58 AM
What a cute pup! :D
Welcome to Pet Talk! I have a Golden Retriever, Polar Husky, and Siberian Husky, you can see the two huskies in my signature. ;)

katrina
01-01-2007, 11:34 AM
update on Roly, my my how hes growing :)... i must ask, how do you get a signature, because id love one with roly in it.

JALB
01-01-2007, 11:38 AM
I could make one for you, if you'd like. :)

katrina
01-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I could make one for you, if you'd like. :)

aw please do, that would be great, is there anything i have to do?

kimlovescats
01-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Welcome to PT! Your little guy is precious! Congratulations on him, and good luck with the housebreaking!

JALB
01-01-2007, 01:01 PM
aw please do, that would be great, is there anything i have to do?

Well, you can say what colors you want on the siggy, or any particular words, like just the name, or something else too.

dab_20
01-01-2007, 01:23 PM
First of all, Welcome to PT! :) Roly is beautiful! He sure looks like a sweetie. I've always loved pointers because of their ticking.

I've got a Toy Poodle mix and a Cocker Spaniel. They are both in my signature. :)

katrina
01-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Well, you can say what colors you want on the siggy, or any particular words, like just the name, or something else too.

colours would be blue/yellow/red/green, any of those.
and wording would be jus the name probs.

JALB
01-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Which picture should I use?

JALB
01-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Maybe I should just choose one...? Is that okay?

JALB
01-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Hope you like it! :)

katrina
01-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Hope you like it! :)
cheers its great, i love it!! :D
how do i thank u for it in my siggy??

JALB
01-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Right click on the siggy, go to "Properties" at the bottom, and highlight the Adress/URL. Then right click the highlighted address and click copy. Next go to the top of the screen, where there is a blue bar with "User CP" on it. Click on User CP and then on the side there will be a "Edit signature" button. Click it and it will be like a post box. At the top there will be a small yellow button with two mountains on it. Click on that and a box will come up. In the white space, right click and paste the URL in it. Then click OK and the URL will be in the post box. Then click "Save Signature".

Hope that made sense!

katrina
01-02-2007, 09:48 AM
cheers for the siggy, it looks amazing!! :)

katrina
01-02-2007, 10:59 AM
as u did such an amazing job with the siggy, i dont supose u could help me with an avatar?? :)

JALB
01-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't know how to do avatars, GreyhoundGirl helped me with mine. Maybe you could ask her. :)

katrina
01-03-2007, 07:28 AM
hey all... got some new picz of Roly playing with our other dog max... and i threw in some picz of max alone... enjoy :)

katrina
01-03-2007, 07:32 AM
and a couple more :) ...