PDA

View Full Version : What do you think??

slleipnir
12-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Last friday, I started to develop a cough. It got worse sat night, and I was coughing a lot. I had no other problems, and didn't feel sick. However, on Wed when I still had it, I figured I should go to the doctor and see what's going on. He said it was just a virus, and it would probably last for a week to 10 days. So today I wake up really early with a sore throat. It didn't feel like a regular sore throat though...It felt like there was a lump or something in my throat. It's not as sore now, but it still feels like there is a lump there. Plus I'm stll coughing. I seem to be coughing up more phlegm now (sorry, too much info) And now my ear is getting these sharp pains inside, and I have a headache (but that might be because I'm tired)

Any ideas? I don't want to keep going to the doctor when it's nothing.

Karen
12-14-2006, 10:45 AM
It may be strep, and certainly you've got an ear infection - get thee to the doc so things don't get worse!

Pawsitive Thinking
12-14-2006, 10:46 AM
If it was nothing you would be feeling better not worse by now - get yourself back to the doctor

slleipnir
12-14-2006, 11:01 AM
I just went last night, and he said I was fine...but I only had a cough then

My bro had strep a while ago, and his throat was so sore he couldn't eat anything. Mine isn't that bad...My ear doesn't hurt that much either, but it's not exactly nice. Plus, most of the time you have to wait hours and hours to see the doctor. And it would take about 2 weeks to see my family doctor. Although last night, I went to a walk in clinic and didn't wait at all...crazy...

Karen
12-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, if you were seen last night, did they take a throat culture? Try gargling with warm salt water, that'll help clear your eustacian tubes, and will help with the ear pain. Watch it carefully, and if your throat gets at all worse, go back to the clinic and tell them your brother recently had strep, so they should check for it.

borzoimom
12-14-2006, 11:27 AM
It may be strep, and certainly you've got an ear infection - get thee to the doc so things don't get worse!
I agree- could be strep ..

slleipnir
12-14-2006, 11:27 AM
What's a throat culture? He looked at it with his little light, but he didn't really do much else. My bro had strep a while ago. like last year

borzoimom
12-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Well they take a swap like a very long Q tip, and swab the back of the throat and culture it. But if it is- it needs specific antibiotics. I would check it out.

slleipnir
12-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Do you think it could be whooping cough? I don't think I "whoop" but appearintly only 50% of people actually do have the whoop sound.

I keep having these "cough" attacks in which I can't breath and keep coughing and coughing...I cough so much I almost feel like I'm going to vomit....I just can't take it anymore...I've been coughing now for a full week and it just won't go away! It seems to be getting worse if anything. The doctor just says it's a virus going around...

Catty1
12-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Cough syrup - even the generic kind - make sure it has DM in it. That is a cough suppressant.

Ask the pharmacist for help since your cough is really bad...maybe they can recommend some OTC stuff that has more DM in it and is still safe.

The DM will help for now...will help break the cycle of endless coughing.

If nothing else - won't the doc prescribe a strong cough syrup to alleviate the symptoms???? Call his receptionist and ask...they can usually twist the doc's arm.

Hope you get help and are better soon!

borzoimom
12-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Do you think it could be whooping cough? I don't think I "whoop" but appearintly only 50% of people actually do have the whoop sound.

I keep having these "cough" attacks in which I can't breath and keep coughing and coughing...I cough so much I almost feel like I'm going to vomit....I just can't take it anymore...I've been coughing now for a full week and it just won't go away! It seems to be getting worse if anything. The doctor just says it's a virus going around...
Yes it will make a cough. The reason is the flem on the gag reflex sent there to fight infection. The more I hear of this the more I agree- this could be strep. If you have it EVERYONE IN THE HOUSE will either have to be tested or treated- it is highly contagious... ( sorry- but true..)

slleipnir
12-15-2006, 09:01 AM
My throat really isn't that sore...It's sore when I wake up, but if I cough for a while then it stops hurting. I almost think it's just phlegm stuck in my throat...so I doubt it's strep