PDA

View Full Version : Question Dog had surgury

bell_peaches
12-13-2006, 09:37 PM
I know I don't post here but I am always lurking. Yesterday we had a choice put our dog down or spend our christmas money to have her eye removed. Well christmas went out the window but Mrs. Magoo is alive with only one eye. I went to visit her today to walk her and bring her a snack. Her eye socket wich is partialy sewed shut was dripping blood as I walked her. has anyone here ever had their dogs eye removed and is this normal. Vets office said it was normal. all I know is we paid three weeks ago for one eye surgury they said her eye problem was from clogged tear ducks so we had the surgury done. then her eye never got better and like over night it was five times the normal size My husband took her to the vet he said. I can either put her down or try and remove the eye. We still have no idea what happened to her eye what caused all this. But husband did not have the heart to put her down. I pick her up and bring her home tomarrow I know I have to keep her crated for 14 days because of my other two dogs. this is going to be hard. Poor thing is missing and eye and ear had a broken leg sometime in her life never set so deformed. And she has these warts all over her with fatty tumors. She has a big wart that was between the eyes now she has one eye and a big wart. She looked pretty bad today. I hope we did the right thing by trying to save her she is nine or ten years old. we have only had her 13 months. things will be real tight here till after christmas but she is alive. Anyone have a dog that had an eye removed and can give me any advice or warnings or hints on how to help her ajust I will appreciate it. Thank YOU

borzoimom
12-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Honey- this is so far out of any experience I ever had, I am not sure what advice I can give. However- I can offer my heart felt support as the dog goes through this trying time- both to you and the dog. Both will be in my prayers. You have come this far, just continue to trust your vet. ..

pitc9
12-14-2006, 07:46 AM
I'm so sorry Mrs. Magoo has had such a hard life so far, but it sounds like you did the right thing to help save her life!

I've never delt with that type of surgery, a Pet Talker's Cocker recently had an eye removed, you could try sending her a PM.
Her name is PJ's Mom and Peej is her Cocker that had the surgery.
Here's the thread with pictures:
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=115200&highlight=eye+removed

I wish her a speedy recovery.

Sudilar
12-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Of all the medical crises we have endured, eye removal was not one of them. I am so sorry that this happened to your dear sweet dog.
All I can send are prayers your way.
Hugs.

mruffruff
12-14-2006, 09:26 AM
My RB dog, Ted E. Bear, had both eyes removed when he was 11. I don't remember any major bleeding, just a little seepage. He was much happier after the surgery than in the month before. He had developed glaucoma. We had been treating him with drops in the eyes for several months to keep the pressure in the eyes down. He was already blind, so we decided to stop the pain and remove the eyes completely. He came home on the day after surgery. No cone and no crate. The other three dogs didn't seem to notice, but they were used to not playing with him.

He lived for 4 more years, happily exploring the yard on his own and cuddling on the couch. I hope Mrs. Magoo does just as well.

angelchampy
12-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I work with a shelter and we had a dog that was blind. I thought once you're blind, nothing else can happen to the eye but I was wrong. The eye started bulging and then the other. They both had to be removed (sounds terrible but she couldn't see anyway). A few weeks later, she was like a puppy. She must have been in so much pain from whatever was going on. It cost alot of money, but you can't put a price on a life. The thing you have to pay attention to is the demeanor of the dog. Does he appear happy or is he mopey all the time. Does he seem like he's in pain. Pay attention to these things and you'll know if you made the right decision but you have to wait until he recovers to see how his attitude and personality is after all this. The poor baby has been through alot. I'm so proud to hear about people like you who would spend anything to save them. I've had to get out an equity loan for mine and I don't regret one minute of it. Kudos to you! ;) You've got a seat in heaven!

pitc9
12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Bell Peaches.... any update on Mrs. Magoo??

cyber-sibes
12-14-2006, 02:56 PM
We had a cat that had an eye removed - it was severely damaged during a fight with a raccoon. i don't recall any bleding, but once he healed up, it didn't seem to bother him one bit. He led a long and happy life. I hope your Mrs. Magoo does the same. ;)

bell_peaches
12-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Mrs Magoo is home. It is not good news. The doc is 99.99% sure it is cancer we will know in three weeks. He said he told my Husband it probley was but Husband had the surgury anyway. He said the bleeding has stopped but will have stuff running out of it for a week. I have to keep her crated in the house because of it. At least that is what he said. I baught some gauze pads and that guaze wrap so I can let her run the house later. I will let her have an hour of free time later. My other two dogs have already tried cleaning her up I had to pull them away from her eye area because my one dog thinks if she licks and licks the boo boo will go away. I have an extra large crate sitting in the livingroom so she is with us we can see her and she can almost see us. she has already hit that eye area on the door she is bumping into things. So I walk around with her so she does not hurt herself to bad. The doc said he almost lost her on the table twice. He said he is worried about her. In all his career this was the hardest eye removal ever. He said if she does not have cancer he will remove her wart in the middle of her forhead for free. Only because I said when you had her under you could have atleast removed that big ugly wart in the middle of her head. He burst out laughing. and agreed if not cancer he will make her look prettier. she is resting right now. I have tried to feed her but she does not want the food I gave her so I will try again later. If I have to I have some chicken and rice I know she loves that stuff. I guess I will be cooking for her and the kids. LOL thank You for the prayers. I just hope if this is cancer she does not suffer to much. If I see her in pain I will have to take her back to the vets and put her down My husband would only try to prolong her life and that is not fair to her. She can not talk and say enough is enough. I will watch to see if she mopes doesn't eat and stuff like that. But alteast I know she will be here for Christmas with us.

borzoimom
12-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Oh honey- in my prayers.. !

bell_peaches
12-14-2006, 06:33 PM
she has gone potty. She has eaten She wont stop drinking. I tried wraping her head with the gauze no way she would not leave it on. When I got it off of her it was bloody and yuky. It is what the doc said to expect. I put her back in the crate. I guess I will have to leave her crated in the living room . I don't want to close her in the bathroom. This way she is with us. She has to take anitbiotics wich are the size of a horse pill twice aday. I need to get cheese to sneak it to her. I hope.

borzoimom
12-14-2006, 06:49 PM
she has gone potty. She has eaten She wont stop drinking. I tried wraping her head with the gauze no way she would not leave it on. When I got it off of her it was bloody and yuky. It is what the doc said to expect. I put her back in the crate. I guess I will have to leave her crated in the living room . I don't want to close her in the bathroom. This way she is with us. She has to take anitbiotics wich are the size of a horse pill twice aday. I need to get cheese to sneak it to her. I hope.
Yea crush it an put in cheese or cream cheese. Drinking is a left over from the anethesia. It will wear off..

Catlady711
12-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Glad Mrs. Magoo is back home now.

Make sure to keep an eye on her (no pun intended) and make sure she doesn't rub at her eye.

Also check to make sure your antibiotics don't say not to give with dairy products before giving them with any cheese. Some antibiotics don't work well with dairy products as the calcium interferes with the absorbtion.

Baytril (Enrofloxacin),
Dicural (difloxacin hydrochloride),
Zenequin (marbofloxacin), and
Ciprofloxacin (cipro)
should not be given with dairy products.

We usually have a bright orange label for these meds. I don't know for sure if there are others out there, but of the ones we use at work, those are the only 4 we've had to use the orange labels with.

Also as for the water drinking...Is she by any chance on Prednisolone (cortisone) for pain or inflamation?? That would cause a great increase in water drinking.

bell_peaches
12-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Oh my is she mad at me. She looked at me with her one eye and peed right in the crate in front of me. I had just had her out a half hour ago. I am trying to keep her inside because it is raining outside and I don't need the stitches getting wet. I am now washing the blankets she had. a new blanket is in there with her. My son came home and said mom let her out of that crate I tried explaining why she had to be in there. Of course he did not believe me. I said let her out I will take her out in the yard again. He decided to pet and rub her she rubber up against him he says mom I am covered in blood and yuky stuff. I laughed and said I guess I was telling the truth about having to keep her in the crate. She has tried rubbing her eye against the couch she has done it against my leg three times now. She doesn't understand what she is doing when I try stoping her. This is going to be one long week for the family and her. We all hate seeing her in there.

She is on the meds called Amoxicillin 500 mg every twelve hours. says nothing about dairy no warning lables of any kind I guess I start them tomarrow. I think she is uncofortable she is panting like crazy. They said I could give her asprin. I think it may be time to give her one. I will stay up to tell My husband what the doc said Then I need to go to bed I need to work extra hours tomarrow. Mrs. Magoo is our christmas we spent all the money on her this year. It cost much more than what we thaught I will have to call electric company and get an extention to pay. But she is worth it.

Catlady711
12-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Amoxicillin is fine to give with dairy products.

Just make sure that both the Amoxi and the Aspirin is given with food and not on an empty stomach. Doesn't need to be much food, it's just sometimes tummy's get upset on those if it's empty.

I sure hope this week passes quickly for you and Mrs. Magoo, and hopefully she'll stop rubbing soon and the tests will come back with no cancer!

Best wishes for you.

bell_peaches
12-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Thank You for the information. Ok every time she whines I go over and talk to her. Now she is doing it every five minutes. LOL She caught on to that real quick. Need to break that now Or I will be sleeping next to the crate. LOL She is so spoiled.

pitc9
12-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Oh many hugs to you and Mrs. Magoo!!!

poodleempire
12-15-2006, 10:58 AM
My heart goes out to you and mrs magoo....
This is a story that deserves,no demands a happy ending....I hope all goes well for you and the 'all clear' comes back...
big hugs....

bell_peaches
12-15-2006, 09:03 PM
She got me up about 4 times last night. She was moaning and complaining in the crate. I kept checking on her. I made the other dogs sleep in the same room with her. so she was not alone. But she still made me come and check on her. I had to work all day my son walked her after school only up the street and back. I told him she has been through alot and I don't want any of the other dogs in the neighbor hood running up to her. I have a fenced yard so she can walk around that all she wants but it was still drizzling here today so I told the kids only let her out for a little bit when it is not raining. She stunk real bad she smelled like urine. I guess she must have leaked on herself after surgury. and she did have a accident in the cage and layed in it so when I got home I changed her bedding and gave her a refreshing bath from the neck down. made sure not to get the face wet . I did wipe down her forehead and sides of face after she was out of the tub to get some of the junk off of her. she does smell better and she was happy after the bath. I talked to her for 15 minutes while givng her a good rub down. I was washing her but she acted as if I was masaging her. so I did it extra long to give her attention. She is happy for now she has eaten gotten a nice rub down and wahing and had her cookies. her other bedding is in the dryer just incase she has an accident. I hope not it is alot of work to wash and extra extra large spaniel. I have made arangments with the groomer to do her in about 3 weeks to give her a complete cleaning and trim. she will need it by then. I expaind everything going on with her she will come to the house to do her and give her extra tlc. So I have to work extra hours now to get her grooming in about three weeks. I hope she heals fast she is still dripping it is going to be a very very long week. thanks for the prayers and good wishes.