PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake!!!

catnapper
12-13-2006, 02:05 PM
I never experienced one before, but we just had one!!! :eek: :eek:

It was a 3.7 on the Richter Scale. We're a few miles from the center of it, but we definately felt it. Ashley, Heather and I all came running when we felt the whole house shake. None of us could figure out what happened, until a newsflash came on the TV.

I know a lot of you live in california where earthquakes are fairly normal, but this was strange to me! Now I'm sitting here wonderinf if we'll feel more in the next few hours or not.

How strong is a 3.7 anyway? Is that small?

ramanth
12-13-2006, 02:08 PM
I think a 7 is considered catastrophic. I'm sure if it was strong enough for you to notice then it's not small.

Supposedly MI has had small tremors...more likely from quakes in other states. PA isn't that far, so I wonder if anyone in our state felt the after effects as the tremor waved it's way outwords.

Glad you're okay!

RICHARD
12-13-2006, 02:18 PM
I never experienced one before, but we just had one!!! :eek: :eek:

It was a 3.7 on the Richter Scale. We're a few miles from the center of it, but we definately felt it. Ashley, Heather and I all came running when we felt the whole house shake. None of us could figure out what happened, until a newsflash came on the TV.

I know a lot of you live in california where earthquakes are fairly normal, but this was strange to me! Now I'm sitting here wonderinf if we'll feel more in the next few hours or not.

How strong is a 3.7 anyway? Is that small?

You may get aftershocks but they are rarely stronger than the initial quake.
Everytime your house creaks for the next few days you will freak out.

3.7 is a baby quake, every tenth of a point is 1000 times stonger.

The last big quake was in 94 (knock on wood) and it was a 6.8....

Relax and enjoy life.....

RedHedd
12-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Our last big one in San Francisco was 7.9 - the Loma Prieta in 1989. 3.7? peh, that's nothing :cool:

borzoimom
12-13-2006, 04:37 PM
We had a little one two in Va. last month or 6 weeks ago. We didnt feel it, but the valley did.
I do think that is a small quake. But still- a quake is a quake. They even had in the news the east coast, not the west, was more active in quakes.. Its just the big ones are out west..

GreyhoundGirl
12-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Scary. :eek: We had one just recentally, but it was very small. :D

Flatcoatluver
12-13-2006, 04:59 PM
:) The last one we had that I have feld was in the 5th grade... that's about 6 years ago. That was scary and it was a little one. I know how you feel

Laura's Babies
12-13-2006, 05:06 PM
:eek: I would be freaking OUT! :eek:

catnapper
12-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Ah, the news is now saying the earthquake was 2.8-3.5, depending on who you talk to, but they all say we won't have any aftershocks (whew)

I'm more concerned about the highspeed car chase I saw a few minutes ago! I was outside with Nicki and a car came screaming down the side road, then entered the traffic circle next the house.... narrowly missing a dozen cars (its rush hour) and a police car was in high pursuit after him. I thought he had hit a car for sure.... I actually saw smoke come up from his tires as he skidded across the road. All the while the police siren blared and Nicki howled in response. It was terrifying! I couldn't get hold of Nicki fast enough (she wasn't leashed and she really, really wanted to go after the police siren) and I was terrified the bad guy would hit someone. It was like everything was in slow motion - it all must have happened in a split second.

I sure wish I had my camera.... I could have video taped it and sold it to the news! LOL

Dorothy39
12-13-2006, 06:03 PM
You've had quite a Day Catnapper!!! :eek:

An Earthquake and then witnessing a "High speed Car Chase" EEK!!! Yikes!!!

Where is a digital camera when you really need it, huh!!! :D

We didn't feel any tremors up here~

But, Don't think Michigan doesn't get a few "pings" now and then.Gotta Love those Baby Quakes!! They keep us Humble~

I've been through a few of the "little ones"~ But, they scared me just the same!!

And,Richard, I do remember that Earthquake in 1994 !! WOW!!

kitten645
12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
That is a tiny shaker but I lived thru the Loma Prieta quake and thru many smaller quakes. Sometimes it's the little ones that knock you off your feet! I have a hanging lamp in the living room and that's my barometer of how strong it was at my house. :eek:

kuhio98
12-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Yep, that's a pretty small quake. But, it could be that it was close to you so it felt pretty strong.

Once we had a 5 point something a few miles away (and very deep in the earth) and we barely felt it. But, then we had a 3 point something very close to our house. It felt a lot stronger!

jenluckenbach
12-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Kim, are you bringing your bad luck on the rest of PA now??? (LOL)

sirrahved
12-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Supposedly MI has had small tremors...more likely from quakes in other states.

There is a fault line in the UP. I actually got to see it! Where you have faults you will have quakes.

ramanth
12-14-2006, 08:16 AM
There is a fault line in the UP. I actually got to see it! Where you have faults you will have quakes.
How neat! I didn't know that. :D

trayi52
12-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Glad you are alright, Kim.

Willie :)

mugsy
12-14-2006, 12:30 PM
As a former geology major, I am reading with interest. The Richter Scale is a logrithmic scale so every number is 10 times worse than the former. 3.7 is definitely a minor one...not to say that a bigger one can't follow.

The worst earthquake in U.S. history was in MO and IL in the 1800s. It was along the New Madrid fault line. It made the Mississippi change course and flow backwards.

There are fault lines just about everywhere, but, most are small. I have seen the fault in MI as well...in fact, we had to map it!

popcornbird
12-14-2006, 12:35 PM
That's tiny!!!

You know what's funny? Whenever we have a quake that small, I don't feel it, at all. Even if I do, I just think I'm 'seeing things' and ignore it until I see it on the news.

It has to be 4.2 + for me to feel it. Earthquakes are scary, no doubt, but I'm sorry...that one was just way too small. Can you tell...? I'm Californian---born and bred... :cool: :p

todd
12-14-2006, 10:23 PM
wow hope evary one is ok

gini
12-15-2006, 09:58 AM
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/

Here is a site that will show you earthquakes around the country.

Now I don't mean to make fun at all - but just look at California vs the rest of the country.

So when we hear that you have had a 3.5 we kinda giggle.................because if it is a 6 or higher - your teeth rattle too - and YOU KNOW you have experienced a big one.

But we are more seasoned shakers, so I understand that when you have an earthquake of any magnitude it does wake you up.

And the car chase - I hate when those happen - they spend hours on the tv
following the guy around the city until they catch them.

I'm sorry that you were rattled, and hope that is the end of your earthquakes. They aren't fun!