PDA

View Full Version : I'm Officially Unemployed and I'm Scared

pepper636
06-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Nothing like this has even happened to me before. I can't even tell you why it happened (the company's "agreement") if I sign it - I haven't decided yet. I'm a female who is going to be 50 in August and I am really feeling old.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Does anyone else think I'm having a bad "over a" year?

lizbud
06-16-2002, 04:44 PM
Hi.
What's happened ? Have you been laid-off, fired? Has
you company been downsized? What line of work are
you in ? I know Indiana's economy is in the toilet, so to
speak, but what's happened? Liz.

Rachel
06-16-2002, 05:00 PM
There are a lot of issues here...how long have you worked for the company...does it have a retirement plan and how will that be affected by your signing the agreement...what about health insurance....COBRA can be very expensive...find out ahead what that will be...

My husband had to collect unemployment twice in his life, during his over 50 years. He eventually found good jobs. Keep the faith. It may be an opportunity for a better job and a happier life.

Karen
06-16-2002, 05:16 PM
One door shutting means another is opening - even if you don't see it right now.

We have an Interim-Interim pastor at my church at the moment. His 50th birthday was a time of reflection and wondering where his life was going, he wasn't too happy with his job situation, feeling he hadn't accomplished much - but in the two years since, he got his divinity degree, was ordained, got married, was appointed to our church for 3 months, has been given a "permanent" church - actually a 2, in Vermont - and is going to be a first-time father in late October!

Remember, being unemployed does not mean you are a worthless human being (even though it may feel like it for a minute or two). You just will need to find another job worthy of you! :)

(In Pettalkville (http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7504&highlight=pettalkville), no one would ever be unwillingly unemployed - but our jobs there are self-determined, anyway!)

pepper636
06-16-2002, 05:31 PM
I've worked there for 24-1/2 years. I was highly paid. Our workload was down due to two steel mills going bankrupt. Our County offices are in danger of being closed down. They came in on Tuesday morning and paid me through Tuesday, that's it. Said my job position was being eliminated. I can't go into too much more now just in case I decide to sign their agreement.

I hope this means another door has opened. I certainly don't feel that way now.

sasvermont
06-16-2002, 06:29 PM
I would exercise every option available. I would also make an appointment to see a lawyer before you sign anything and take a copy with you to your attorney. It will be worth every penny, believe me. You can contact your state's bar association for a referral if you need to find the name of a good attorney who does employment law.

Keep us posted.

I just know you'll find something if this nightmare does come true.

50 is still young. Really.

Good luck. And get yourself an attorney deary.

pepper636
06-16-2002, 07:18 PM
I've already seen an attorney. They suggested filing a claim with the EEOC. It just keeps going through my mind - should I take what little they offer (bird in the hand) or should I take my chances (two in the bush).

pupper-lover
06-16-2002, 07:52 PM
My dad was laid off after working at the same company for twenty-seven years. He was about 3 years from retirement. They were downsizing and replaced him with someone half his age, who knew nothing about the company and it's people. His job had paid well so the family was not in any immediate financial danger, but the lay off really depressed my dad. After about 5 years of retirement, he decided to go back to work. He now spends his days working at my old elementary school, teaching kids to use computers, on recess duty, and going out of his way to reach kids that seem to be having problems. He is enjoying his life more now than he had in his rat-race days of being a business man. The students and faculty absolutely love him, and despite the low pay, he feels that he is doing something meaningful and enjoyable with his life. I'm sure my father never imagined he would be teaching at an elementary school or starting a new career in his mid-fifties, but I think his life if far better having had this experience.

Good luck to you. Despite the hard times, life not only endures, it flourishes! Look at what is important to you and you will go further than you ever imagined.:)

AmberLee
06-17-2002, 12:15 AM
{{{Pepper}}},

I expect to be facing something very similiar in a few months and I'm scared, too. I think you are wise exploring your options and confering with an attorney. Hang in there, and take it a day at a time. Good luck.

purrley
06-17-2002, 07:06 AM
Pepper - so sorry to hear about this job problem. I've been at my job for 28 years and have been in danger at times of having the same thing happen to me. Every now and then they evaluate us to see who's being productive and who's what they call excess baggage and I've been worried about being considered in the latter class. A year ago our company got bought out by another and a lot of us old timers got laid off. I managed to escape that one. Still they are continuing to make changes within and I never know from one day to the next where I stand. I've learned that what is going to happen will happen and I'm just rolling with the punches. I know I'd be incredibily depressed if I got the ax, but everything happens for a reason and I bet there would be something else out there for me. I'm 52 years old Pepper so the job market wouldn't welcome me with open arms, but I'm sure I could find something as I'm sure you will. Keep us posted Pepper and good luck.

moosmom
06-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Pepper,

I'm so sorry to hear about your job. I agree with Sasvermont, I'd have a labor lawyer look at the agreement to make sure that you are getting what you are entitled to.

And being unemployed is absolutely nothing to be ashamed about. In this day and age, alot of companies are downsizing. My only concern for you is your age. I am also 50. I have been at my job for 4 years. It seems like every 6 months they're "cleaning house" which means that since I was the last to be hired, I'll probably be the first to go. The newspaper I work for took a wonderful man who is tops in his field of investigative reporting with over 30 years of service and farmed him out to report on the courts. Sort of a demotion. In the meantime, they "custom made" a position for a much younger man with no experience in investigative reporting. Dennie (the older guy) has hired a labor lawyer, which is a smart move, as he is 61 years old.

It seems to me that if your job is being eliminated, they should go out of their way to find you something within the company, seeing as you've been there for over 20 years.

I've been unemployed many times in my life. I have also worked since I was 15 years old.

I reiterate, you need to see a labor lawyer. Protect yourself. These companies who try and pull this crap need to know that it will not be tolerated.

We are here for you, Pepper and Amberlee. Hang in there.

Donna

Edwina's Secretary
06-17-2002, 12:12 PM
Pepper -- Let me respond from a couple of different directions. I have been laid off in the past. I am only a couple years younger than you. I am writing this on a break from telling 1/3 of our workforce that today is their last day. Of course, with 1/3 less workforce my own job viability gets dimmer.

My profession is such that I deal with releases and departments of human rights all the time. (I wish I had chosen something else!) I am not a lawyer but if you would like some insights from my 20 years of dong this -- PM me.

Sara

Cincy'sMom
06-17-2002, 07:14 PM
Fortunatly I have not been in your situation, but it is sorta of a tough time in our family too. On Feb. 28th my brother was informed the company he was working for was ceasing all US operations that day. So far he has had no luck finding a new job. My Dad has been with the same company for 25+ years and as of Aug. 31 the are closing there doors in Ohio. It is a tough time, but they say things are getting better....

Good Luck!!!

shais_mom
06-18-2002, 01:36 AM
You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
I wish you the best.

mugsy
06-18-2002, 05:34 PM
Pepper, I'm going to guess that you're up in Lake or Porter County and I know that the economy up there is worse that it is in other parts of our God-forsaken state. My husband was downsized in September and was without work for almost 2 months and had to settle for a factory job that pays about 1/2 what he was making in the IT field. My dad's family is up in the Merrillville area and they tell horror stories about jobs.

Good luck and keep us posted.