PDA

View Full Version : Yay! Horse-riding?

GreyhoundGirl
12-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Hey so, to try and make a long story short. When I was young my family moved about 20 hours away from where we previoustly lived. We didn't know where we were moving, but we knew we were going to Eastern Ontario. Well... The other day at the mall my mom saw her best friend from "back home" :eek: . (cue theme: It's a small world after all)

So they started talking and found out she moved here a few years after we did. Now.. to they part you guys'll be interested in.. :p

Well, she breeds JRT and has 3 JRTs. She has three other dogs (my mom forgets what breed. :rolleyes: ). She lives on a farm and has a whole bunch of animals.

She told my mom I could come ride her horse! :D And she has a goat that she bottle-feeds. Oh, I can't wait to see the baby goat!!

Well, I've got panophobia and horses are part of it. lol. but anyways anyone have any tips? I'm just scared of the size mostly. I keep thinking it'll roll over on me. :eek: (Feel free to call me a wimp :p ) I've never riden before. I'm really excited though. :)

Kalei
12-12-2006, 08:25 PM
lol I'm not sure what to tell ya. The only time I've ever been afraid of a big animal is if it took off on me while I was on its back. But I have never heard of any horse or big animal purposly roll onto anyone lol. I always just think of them as 'gentle giants.' Which is pratically what they are. Hopefully you'll be able to work through your fear cause horse are the most beautiful animals!:D Tell us how it goes when you go over to see all the animals!

GreyhoundGirl
12-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Anyone else? :p

critter crazy
12-13-2006, 09:25 AM
My only two cents to put in is this:

Just like any other animal, i you go in scared they will know. Just be positive and you will have a fabulous time!! I have been riding since I was 5, and have loved every moment! It is such an awsome thing to do. I am sure your moms friend will put you on a horse, that is quiet, and used to inexperianced riders. And I also have never heard of a horse rolling on anyone!:)

Suki Wingy
12-13-2006, 03:20 PM
With horses, they are big but your love and understanding with them is bigger. If you listen to them, make sure you never go too far, nothing can ever happen. Many people have told them horses never make mistakes, humans do. I've found in training and being around horses if you believe it, it will work. They are generally gentle creatures, and very rarly mean to do harm.

GreyhoundGirl
12-13-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm so excited... :D

JuniorxMyxLove
12-13-2006, 04:26 PM
You might have found a solution, but I thought I'd post anyways.

I know how you feel, whenever I ride a new horse thats big. But I've noticed something: unless the horse you'll be riding has something wrong with his brain, he's not going to roll over. If he had something wrong, you wouldn't be allowed to ride him. Once you get on, just relax and have fun. Don't worry about him rolling over. It's not gonna happen(unless the world flips and he has no choice ;) ) Hoope it helps, PM me if you want to talk more after you ride =]

Hope you have fun, I know you will!

BETH ROBBINS
12-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Here's a helpful suggestion for you. After you meet the horse and feel comfortable getting on his/her back, ask the owner to give you a refresher course on the basics. Then have her lead you and the horse saddled and bridled with a halter and lead rope until you feel more confident to ride on your own. But remember, there is always a risk when you ride for a whole variety of things to happen. If the owner is a responsible horse person, she will assess your riding abilities as well as the horses. That being said, there's risk even when you cross the street, have lots of fun, be gentle on the horses mouth with your reins, and stay balanced in the saddle. Have fun, Beth PS WEAR A HELMET!

GreyhoundGirl
12-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Yea, I'm going to wear a helmet. :p Thanks for the advice. :)